Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Limited Hannibal at the Gates Campaign Map

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Limited Hannibal at the Gates Campaign Map

I've done some examining of the map and I feel a little disappointed. I mean Caesar in Gaul's map was very large and focused. Instead I see that this game will have very large provinces kind of spread out over an ocean and I feel a little disappointed. I think there should've been some Illyria, a little more of Gaul and African and maybe parts of Greece.

Anybody else see something lacking in this map?
    Last edited by Ishan; March 17, 2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added HATG Map

LordKainES's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Limited Hannibal at the Gates Campaign Map

Well the map is focused on the main threatre of II punic war....

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

yes its lacking in lots of areas.too many to even go into but ...we shall see ...i can see dark clouds after this one comes out.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

I can definitely see how having Illyria and parts of Greece would add to it, but I'm not sure there much else for Africa. Would you suggest the map being extended further east in Africa? or do you mean more regions further south?

And I feel like having so much of the map taken up by the sea is part of the point I would guess. The Punic wars did have a lot of naval action.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Step 1: Link to map.

I agree, the Illyrian coast would be the least they could do. If you should have landings or naval engagements in the Adriatic it's folly to have a blank coast. However, I can't imagine why anyone truly cares, because for this to matter you would have to buy it. And to buy it, you would have to ignore the fact that the base game is still a broken, jumbled, pile of smoking rubble.

Well they are ignoring the First Macedonian War (Macedon was Carthage's ally) which was concurrent with the Second Punic War. The only possible explanation I can think of that they would have for doing so is that that conflict with Macedon did not end up amounting to much battle-siege-naval-wise and was almost a non-event in comparison to the real conflict Rome and Carthage were waging.

However TW games have always had that "what if" factor and Macedon could have been that "what if?" It would be interesting in this game to see the impact Macedon might make if it managed to get an army on Italian soil. Plus Rome had Greek allies and these should have been included. I would have put those factions in just to be complete.

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Step 1: Link to map.

I agree, the Illyrian coast would be the least they could do. If you should have landings or naval engagements in the Adriatic it's folly to have a blank coast. However, I can't imagine why anyone truly cares, because for this to matter you would have to buy it. And to buy it, you would have to ignore the fact that the base game is still a broken, jumbled, pile of smoking rubble.
    well Greece should be in [first Macedonian war], but CA delivers what I expected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonian_Wars

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

yaaay lets all pay Ł15 for a smaller campaign map -_-

because that's all this is.
    Last edited by Ishan; March 17, 2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: off-topic
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

All it really seems to be missing, for me at least, is, like others have already mentioned, the Illyrian coast.

After looking at the Wiki for HatG, the map is actually less objectionable than I first thought. They include the Celts directly north of Rome, which I had heard elsewhere was supposedly not included.

The omission of the rest of Greece is fine with me. If you were to include all of Greece, then you'd really also have to include the areas neighboring Greece as well, and I think it'd get to be pretty unfocused. Hence, even though Macedon was involved, I think it's a good design choice to not include them, as it would start to get out of control as to what provinces would need to be included to make the map feel balanced and focused.

But the Illyrian coast, north of Greece proper, might have been good to include, just to round out the northern border of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonMilwaukean View Post
    All it really seems to be missing, for me at least, is, like others have already mentioned, the Illyrian coast.

After looking at the Wiki for HatG, the map is actually less objectionable than I first thought. They include the Celts directly north of Rome, which I had heard elsewhere was supposedly not included.

The omission of the rest of Greece is fine with me. If you were to include all of Greece, then you'd really also have to include the areas neighboring Greece as well, and I think it'd get to be pretty unfocused. Hence, even though Macedon was involved, I think it's a good design choice to not include them, as it would start to get out of control as to what provinces would need to be included to make the map feel balanced and focused.

But the Illyrian coast, north of Greece proper, might have been good to include, just to round out the northern border of the map.
    I imagine the Illyrian coast was omitted simply because the focus of the campaign is in the west. They could've added a west, but it'd mostly just benefit Rome who starts right next to it. Potentially Syracuse as well.
    Focusing on just the stuff west of Rome, gives every faction an equal shot in competing over it reasonably without needing to march/sail through/around Roman territory first.

The part of the Alps that Hannibal actually crossed.

3 posts moderated, 2 of them got deleted. Lets keep this on-topic. Topic is about HATG campaign map, what it is, what it could've been and so on & nothing else outside of it.

PS: I added the actual HATG map in the opening post to foster this discussion both in gameplay and historical sense in a constructive direction. Credit for this goes to Dago Red. +rep to him.

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

Seems similar in size to CIG to me.

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    I imagine the Illyrian coast was omitted simply because the focus of the campaign is in the west. They could've added a west, but it'd mostly just benefit Rome who starts right next to it. Potentially Syracuse as well.
    Focusing on just the stuff west of Rome, gives every faction an equal shot in competing over it reasonably without needing to march/sail through/around Roman territory first.
    That's a fair analysis.

Without adding the whole of Greece and allowing Rome's enemies to come over-land to Illyria from the other direction, I think it would be exactly as you say: an unfair advantage to Rome. And like in my first post, if you start adding the whole of Greece, well, then the map gets just unfocused.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Illyria for sure, they were there causing trouble during the Punic war.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    I've done some examining of the map and I feel a little disappointed. I mean Caesar in Gaul's map was very large and focused. Instead I see that this game will have very large provinces kind of spread out over an ocean and I feel a little disappointed. I think there should've been some Illyria, a little more of Gaul and African and maybe parts of Greece.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Perhaps more cities in each province and all of them fortified?
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Looks good, but I do wish Sicily had some more settlements.

kerrfox's Avatar Civis

Actually .... "no" .... I'm good.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Perhaps more cities in each province and all of them fortified?
    I don't agree with the notion that all of the settlements need to have fortifications, as it was one of the things I didn't like about Shogun 2. Too many walls makes it a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    I don't agree with the notion that all of the settlements need to have fortifications, as it was one of the things I didn't like about Shogun 2. Too many walls makes it a bore.
    Yea, let us not give Jerusalem walls, I hate being bored.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast