Thread: Where are the campiagn map assets?

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Where are the campiagn map assets?

Where are the mines(salt/minerals), the farms and the quarries and alike???. You can get stats and perks from them but you cant defend or attack them. It makes defending as lazy as sitting back in a city or fort and waiting for trouble to come, it really takes away a certain strategic edge when you need to hurt or lure armies out.

It would also be nice to garrison these things like empire total war for more battle map scenario's.

Do you miss it as a feature?.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Default Re: Where are the campiagn map assets?

I miss this feature and wonder at why it and many other basic elements of the TW series have been cut. What I have come up with is this... Living Room Gamer!!!
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

This provocation to leave your nice, safe, fortified city and meet them on the open field comes from invading armies using the 'raiding' stance, which slashes income and causes uproar in the population. So this feature is not completely gone.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

If raiding actually worked and made the enemy come out and fight that would be great but it doesn't. They are content to just sit in their un-walled city and deal with this lose of income you speak of. If your playing on high enough levels, that lose of income is minimal due to the added money given to every minor faction at the end of a turn. Thus only further entrenching said enemy in his hovels to sit back drink ale and laugh as my army sits outside its one village swinging my sword around angrily accomplishing nothing other than taking half my movement points to raid... Which again is funny to me since any invading army in antiquity right up to modern times would naturally go into a raiding scavenging mode as soon as they are in enemy territory. Even going as far as to DEVESTATE the surrounding lands, which is something all the other TW games had in them and even simulated in earlier games by showing the devastated land turning black, scorched earth as it were. Seems a lot of people are just alright with just imagining things that the game once had in them and go on to make excuses about why the game doesn't have them or it doesn't need to be shown this way. Half ass work is never to be accepted as hard work, just saying.
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

This is one of the wierdest things. They not only failed to put back features from RTW and M2TW engine but also removed some cool features from the warscape engine which worked fine in S2TW and NTW and ETW. CA devs need to put their act back together. I do hope they implement that feature as in previous games.

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

Main reason
    1TPY
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

in fairness, they haven't got rid of the iron production facilities and all, the mines are in the region capital, you have to remember regions in rome 2 aren't meant be the same as in previous tw titles, conceptually provinces are now what regions were and region represent different areas within a province, and control of the resources in a provinces is shown by controlling regions.

Of course, this was only half-implemented, and would work better if there were as many provinces as there were regions in rome 1, and 4 times as many regions, but that wouldn't sit well with the living room vision for total war.

As for devastation, its not gone from the game and raiding is there to represent it, personally i think giving up movement points to go into that stance makes sense, as you have to send your outriders and some units out to gather those supplies so the army would be slowed down by devastating the province it is in.

I am disgusted that they removed those. That was one of the best additions to Total War ever.

I definitely miss these! it gave lesser factions a chance at raiding and wearing down the enemy. For some regions, like Empires Russia, they were the only way to win

Indefinitely Banned

I suppose its a perfectly valid tactic to attack a farm as an asset, although in Shogun 2 and the likes, was quite annoying to have to go back and smash 2 units in a stack that managed to slip past, FOTS was a bit unforgiving with offshore bombardment. May have worked in Rome 2, since there are less stacks to chase around in a normally played game of Rome 2, if you don't make to many enemies, unless playing for the “this is total war” achievement, you will have your end game right from the start.

If they opened it up to modders, it could be handy, but I think adding something like this now would make the AI stagnate economy wise even more so, meaning having to build them up every turn, and also means you may be able to ruse the army away from a settlement to slip behind. Something that already happens in Rome 2, when the AI Army will move out to square of another army from one faction, only to have another faction come in and take there settlement behind them, and obviously the player and the ai doesn't always have enough armies to cover all these assets currently. Since the natural order of Rome 2, is if you attack there, you leave here unguarded. If they brought it back for modders it could work, since the TPY and Army/Fleet size can be changed to suit.
    Although I say it would be good for the modders, the AI would need to be able to make use of this, and I’m not sure if modders can drastically change the behaviour of the AI, so CA would need to work with that if thinking about bringing this back in.

Farms assets could have been implemented as another form of causing attrition, with the option of raiding with a replenishment bonus in enemy territory for x amount of turns, or scorch earthing it yourself to cause attrition to the enemy advancing through your territory. But then in some area of the map, like Greece are quite compact, I feel the map would have been filled with smoking farms.
    Last edited by AgentGB; November 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    This provocation to leave your nice, safe, fortified city and meet them on the open field comes from invading armies using the 'raiding' stance, which slashes income and causes uproar in the population. So this feature is not completely gone.
    yeah dont miss the old one to much.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Indefinitely Banned

I got the wonder of Babylon and expected something to happen but nothing.
    On the overview map you see resources but the main thing they seem to do is other Factions will trade you for them.

This is what I hate about the most in Rome2. In Shogun2 you had provincial assets that the enemy can attack. Agents can also attack these assets. By shoving them all into a city this means that none of them happen. You just aren't compelled to go out and attack the enemy until they are at your gates. The closest is the "Raid" Stance which no one uses because it affects everyone in the entire province, including your own and your allies. And I don't mean adjacent either: if you put an army on raid stance in Carthage, all of the Africa regions are affected, but not Iol which is next to Carthage, which is next to it because it is part of Mauretania but is adjacent to Carthage. That's honestly very stupid.

The fact that they changed so much of the game to accomodate the whole streamlined war waging part of the experience is the greatest flaw. The map is huge yet too small at the same time, and giant chunks of forest and land make it very linear for armies to move around anyways.