Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking problem

Default Overclocking problem

So right now I'm trying to over-clock my I5-750 which is going alright so far (4Ghz)
    But there is one problem (Atleast I think it is), when I check CPU-Z with my default BIOS settings, the core speed ranges between 1100 and 3000 Mhz, but when I over-clock it, it stays at 4000Mhz constantly.

Reason for my concern is that because the CPU is constantly running at that speed, my CPU idles at around 70 degrees (Aftermarketcooler)
    So what's plan B? lower voltages? change a setting in the BIOS?

Default Re: Overclocking problem

I don't remember, but does the 750 have turbo?
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    I don't remember, but does the 750 have turbo?
    Yes it does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	267687
    (If this is what you mean)
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; February 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM.

OK then, set it back to factory default clocks, and just raise the turbo/boost clock to 4ghz. That way it will only OC under load when it needs it.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

OK then, set it back to factory default clocks, and just raise the turbo/boost clock to 4ghz. That way it will only OC under load when it needs it.
    Thing is, that the turbo is only enabled or disabled.
    Or am I misunderstanding something? (You're dealing with a first time over-clocker here.)

Well I've never OC'd a 750, but if you go into the BIOS under the overclocking settings, is there something like a "Turbo multiplier" or anything with similar wording? What's your motherboard chipset?

Perhaps this video will help, this guy has the same Mobo and CPU as me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy8D7bbxHXg

I know the same settings doesn't always work, but I can't do a stress test when I have the current problem.
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; February 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

So have you tried what he's doing? Turn off the boost clock since you can't change it, and set the base clock and multiplier to his settings?

Yes, now that I think of it, he has also has his core running constantly at 4000Mhz.
    So maybe my cooling is the problem?

Perhaps changing the flow will help?
    Got air blowing in from the front and coming out the back/top, perhaps switching that will help.

I can't imagine it doing a heck of a lot. What would likely help more is good quality thermal paste, and a good aftermarket CPU cooler.

I though I had/did that. (Coolermaster Hyper 212)

Ah, I missed that part.

Well this is really unusual then. You shouldn't be even nearing those temps. I'd go over it, make sure it's actually in good contact with the CPU, and maybe replace the thermal paste. Make sure the fan's spinning ok and without resistance.

I'll check it out, even though it was a pain putting on the fan.(Replaced the paste a month ago)
    Didn't think it could be the fan, just finished gaming and it's idling at around 30 degrees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	267742

Anyways thanks for the info/interest.
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; February 23, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

So wait, it's at 70 or 30?

Maybe it's your sensor just going bad, and giving out a false 70 reading.

So wait, it's at 70 or 30?

Maybe it's your sensor just going bad, and giving out a false 70 reading.
    I wish it was.

30 when default, 70 with over-clocking.
    Let's see what's happens if I get the speed to 3500. (probably same issue)
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; February 23, 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Well I looked into your particular CPU a bit, and I think you may just have to either get a better cooler, or settle for less than 4ghz. I found one guy who's getting about 3.6ghz and idling at about 50c. If I were you'd I'd stick to 3.5ghz and keep a close eye on those temps, you don't want it much about 70 under load. The fact that you're idling at 30 with stock frequency makes me think that the cooler's working well since those are good temps. It's just not good enough to handle a 1500mhz OC. Another guy's getting 60c at 3.2ghz with the stock cooler so it's just a really hot chip.

The other thing is, I keep reading that you can't hit higher than 3.8ghz without over-volting, so I'd just stay away from that.

idling at 70c? def need to redo the paste and make sure fan are in the correct alignment (a good way to test is plug the fan into the psu when everything is disconnected, that will tell u the correct way the fan needs to be installed, use a piece of paper).

some good progs for temp monitoring are coretemp/realtemp.

for testing ocs. you want ibt/prime95/intelburntest. (they will raise temps so be carefull and prepared to watch/shutdown prog if things start to get a little toasty).

running your oc 24/7 at 4ghz is fine, i do on my 920 for a few yrs now. but mines on water now and the voltages are within limits. highest i saw under load on air was around 65c..but i used a noctua heatsink with 2 powerfull 120mm fans on it.

perhaps getting a better fan for the hyper could be an idea, but that said your temps are way off which imply an installation/paste issue.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Generic-Utilities_c8.html

Meh, got it to 3.6.
    Atleast a lot better than 2.67, and hopefully enough for the next year and RTW 2.

Next RAM and GFX card and probably PSU!
    Thanks guys for the info.
    Last edited by MemnonOfRhodes; February 26, 2013 at 04:04 PM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Ok, heres some info. I have a 760i5 so I believe it is similar to your processor.
    If you disable those power saving features your cpu will always run at maximun frequency which doesnt mean it will alwasy run at full load. Enabling power saving features may cause instability problems. It is kind of a rule to turn those saving settings off, specially if you are going for an extreme oc. Having the processor showing at full speed doesnt mean it will run hot all the time. It depends on the load of the system. Supposedly it should get hot only when there is a demand for processing power. Mine is running at 3800Mhz and only gets hot when I use processor demanding programs. Most of the time will have a demand of 5% of the actual speed.

I would also add that 4000Mhz is quite a lot in an i5750. It is possible to check the highest overclokings ever registered for your cpu by otehr users. I would say 4000Mhz would generally require a high voltage which would probably be your problem. You also should check fans, thermal paste, etc too. I would lower your overclocking unless you wanna go fancy and start building your own custom watercooling system. 4000Mhz on air is quite a bit unless you get extra lucky with your processor (some processors will behave diffent than other even being the exact same model and brand).

By the way, 70C can be totally acceptable under full load but on idle it really means a problem. I generally stay with something around 38-40C on idle and it reaches 72-74 on full load and I live in a hot country.
    Last edited by paradamed; February 27, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Found out that 4Mhz is only possible by using a water cooler.

I'm happy with my 3.6Ghz (40 idle - 63 under load)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast