Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total Realism Platinum Edition v2.0

Default Re: Rome Total Realism Platinum Edition v2.0

Game gets as far as Start New Campaign/Continue Campaign etc screen. Whatever I select. game crashes. Using Rome - Total War Gold Edition and Alexander expansion, both retail. Any ideas welcome. Came back to these mods after trying Rome 2 for a couple of months. I wouldn't say awful, but v. dissappointing. Kudos to everyone who has contributed a mod to this ten year old game and somehow manage to keep it better than something thats had a huge budget! Would really like to get this working and the various tweeaks others have made. Cheers, and thanks again everyone.

After a long time, I just wanted to play this. But I can't create a working desktop shortcut.
    I create the shortcut with right clicking at the .exe file, yes no problem. But it dont let me fill in the text: -mod:rtrpe -show_err -noalexander
    error: file or root does not exist.
    Have checked several times. all is correctly.

What is recommended complexity of the game? I mean modes: medium, hard or very hard? For which difficulty is balanced?

David128's Avatar Laetus

As seen here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ting-questions)

13) "Which difficulty setting is best?" or "What difficulty setting is RTR made for?" or "What do the difficulty levels mean?" etc.
    Many prefer Hard/Hard, others prefer VH/VH, though very few play on Easy or Medium. Some have suggested that a "difficulty bug" exists, which causes Med to be harder than Hard and Very Hard to be the easiest of all. However, this 'difficulty bug' seems to be a rumor, and nothing more. The RTR Team suggests you play on whichever difficulty setting works best for you. Below are the known effects of the difficulty levels:

Battle difficulty:
    Easy: +4 morale and +4 attack to your troops.
    Medium: No bonuses.
    Hard: +4 morale and +4 attack to the ai troops.
    Very hard: +7 morale and +7 attack to the ai troops.

Campaign difficulty: Exact effects are not known but the AI cheats on VH by getting an extra $10,000 a turn.

Thanks a lot) I also have found this topic and the answer to my question)

Nice to see that I am not the only one to still play this mod.

To be more complete the AI battle bonus on VH are:
    - +7 in attack
    - +7 in defense
    - +7 in morale
    - 1.5 - 2x ammo (if you play with limited ammo)
    - bonus in movement speed that makes their units slightly faster than yours.
    - When a human routing unit is chased, that unit has less chance to self-rally. The chances to rally decrease as the AI unit close by. When a AI routing unit is chased, that unit has a higher chance to self-rally. The chances increase as the human unit close by. In both cases, if the chasing unit catch up the routing unit, the routing unit loses all chances to rally.

The morale bonus is the one that has the most impact on game-play. AI rookies will hold the line as veterans do and disciplined units will be unbreakable. This makes battles last longer, and this most hurt players who like cavalry charges. You will have to reduce the enemy morale by means like fatigue, battle attrition and exposed flanks before hoping that a charge may rout them.

The attack bonus makes even crappy AI units forces to be reckoned with.

Because missiles take into account only the defenders armor and shield, the VH defense bonus has no effect at all on your missile attacks.

The bonus in ammo is difficult to evaluate as the AI has some depletion random function. All VH AI javelineers I have seen, have thrown at least 9 javelins. And I have sometimes count as much as 12. Considering that the base number is 6, my estimation is between 1.5 and 2 times. I have never seen an AI archer unit out of ammo.
    With up to twice the average ammo and the +7 in attack, you will also learn to fear any AI missile unit. And to love your armored units.

So, to summarize, your cavalry will be far less efficient at VH, while your missile units are as powerful as they are on medium. So, if you like cavalry charges that punch holes in the enemy line, don't play VH. On VH, you will want more missile units and less cavalry than on H.
    When designing yur army, you will look for armor for your line units and stamina and speed for your cavalry units.
    And you will have to watch unit fatigue during combat a lot more.

more on campaign difficulty bonus later...

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Does anyone manage to pass 66BC ? Surprise actually that people are still playing this old mod base on an older mod of a much older game.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Because this game is the best. I can't play r2 or its mods, too boring. This game is still amazing, idc how old

Visual range is of little value if there is no sense of depth game. RTR became the base for a huge number of great mods. Although platinum edition is not without drawbacks in particular the behavior of factions on the map, it's timeless classics.

As promised, the VH bonus.

Campaign VH bonus for the AI is +10 000 denarii per faction per turn. (+5 000 on H).

So even the faction reduced to one city receives 10000 per turn.
    This means that naval blockade has very, very limited effect. Do not waste your navy in naval blockades, that's close to useless.
    This also means that an AI general in a province can hire all mercenaries in that province in case of need. Be ready for such armies that seem to pop-up out of the ground. Check which mercenaries are available in a given province and buy them before the AI does if you don't want to face them.

Finally some consideration about the H being harder than the VH.
    While the rumor speaks about battle H being harder than battle VH (and this rumor has some background that I won't talk here about), the fact is that for some factions and for some situation, campaign VH is easier than campaign H.
    Here is the thing.
    When you recruit a unit, you pay the price not only in denarii, but also in city population. Because of this 10000 bonus, the AI buys units like there is no tomorrow. It has a bad side effect when you play with unit size 'huge'. An AI faction, especially the barbarian ones, can deplete its cities from their citizen to raise troops. Once you have defeated those first waves of enemies, you are good. The only available troops the AI will have are the mercenaries. You will then enter their land, conquering empty (400 inh.) cities.
    This phenomenon is more common with the barbarians, esp. the Gauls (smaller cities and unit size 240).
    It is less likely to happen when you play with large unit size, less likely to happen on H difficulty level, less likely for factions with smaller units or bigger cities at the start of the game.
    And even when some civilized AI conquers those AI barbarians, they do not repopulate the cities.

So if you play campaign VH, with huge unit size, the fact that the AI is unable to manage it's population force pool, makes the game easier than H. Well, after you've beaten the first waves.
    If however you play with just large unit size, things are better for the poor AI.

What I have done is to find some middle ground. I play on huge, I edit the preference.txt and change the unit size from 160(=huge) to 120. (80=large)
    This way, I still have a decent number of soldiers per unit and I limit the effect on the crazy AI depleting its cities.

So, the rumor about H being harder than VH has some ground when speaking about the campaign difficulty level and playing with huge unit size.

Mod still crashing starting new campaign or tryig to continue a campaign. With latter a loading bar labelled 224BC comes up then the game crashes as the sword unsheafs.
    It does this with a new install with no saves present or if I copy saves from other campaign sessions; none dated 224BC. Anybody got any idea what is going on please?

Hei folks!
    I started to play RTR 5 Plat 2.0 recently ( Best RTW-mod after the Eur_Barbarourm - imho.) and I can't find any information about refroms for Gauls. Do they have any and if yes, then when do they happen or how to trigger them?

- Thanks.

what does this do ?

does it change the original rome or is it by itself ?

and do the battles last for hours, because i hate whenever a mod does that.

Are you gonna add more Greek units for the Thrace faction?

why can I recruit a navy I have a port but no option to recruit any ships?

Is this mod balanced for using the 4tpy mod? Or will the movement and winter campaign restrictions be off-sync?

Can someone update the DOWNLOAD links..? They dont work.

Thanks for this mod! I have Rome: Total War plus Barbarian Invasion and Alexander (all via Steam), and I've tried to get this mod working. However, if I run RomeTW-ALX.exe with "-noalexander", whether or not I'm using the mod option, the game will show the standard loading screen ("developed by The Creative Assembly," "published by Sega"), play a Windows "Exclamation" sound, and freeze. If I press the spacebar, Enter, or Esc, the loading screen disappears and the game crashes. (It doesn't even seem to be loading anything in the loading screen, as there aren't any hard-drive clicky noises.) Any help? Thanks!