Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Faction Family Trees - A DotS Preview

Default Re: Faction Family Trees - A DotS Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Yeah those characters in the tree that are 'off map' are still in the campaign but as part of other factions. Norway's family members at startdate will be over 20 roughly. I think there are a few non-family generals too. So that tells you the kind of thing a minor faction like Norway will have at startdate

Wow. I am in awe, gentlemen...the family trees were always one of my favorite parts of the game (and one of the things I sorely miss in N:TW and E:TW).
    La Garde recule.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

And a new meme has been born! Congratulations gentlemen
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by raziel_eire View Post
    @ mynameisowen

I'll be honest and say I can't answer that question with 100% accuracy Owen. I believe the game can handle and allows that many alive characters despite a small regions base, but it will reduce the number of adoption offers as they are not as necessary (I don't think these are ever eradicated though, especially if you are lacking an heir but still have lots of other blood-linked characters alive).
    Whether it stops marriages and births I can't say, I certainly don't believe so, but it may slow them down somewhat as the urgency to have next of kin is not there in ingame terms.

Anyways, they're my beliefs from previous modding and gameplay experiences and not from my work on DotS itself, so as I say, I can't really answer with any accuracy or authority.
    I see what you mean. I just hate it when, say for example, your King has no heirs and is no spring chicken; you want him to have a son to continue the family line, however, when he dies the heir(dom?) will pass to some bloody random adopted guy. And all this because the engine thought you had too many characters when in fact half of them are 60 year old men! Also you end up sending unwanted heirs on suicide missions to clear them off the family tree so someone more worthy can take the crown! (I do always feel bad doing this )

(again this experience comes from playing vanilla and Stainless Steel so DoTS may be better)

Maybe this could be remedied by using an heir ancillary (like in a particular submod for SS). I havn't used it though and I don't know if it evens works.

Lets hope you guys can sort it (or better yet, that its not a problem)!

Miles

What do you mean by this?

Someone said awesome.
    It's like with the bugs thing

Subtle, Hross. Very subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisowen View Post
    I see what you mean. I just hate it when, say for example, your King has no heirs and is no spring chicken; you want him to have a son to continue the family line, however, when he dies the heir(dom?) will pass to some bloody random adopted guy. And all this because the engine thought you had too many characters when in fact half of them are 60 year old men! Also you end up sending unwanted heirs on suicide missions to clear them off the family tree so someone more worthy can take the crown! (I do always feel bad doing this )

(again this experience comes from playing vanilla and Stainless Steel so DoTS may be better)

Maybe this could be remedied by using an heir ancillary (like in a particular submod for SS). I havn't used it though and I don't know if it evens works.

Lets hope you guys can sort it (or better yet, that its not a problem)!
    Adoption in Dots will probably be very minimal. Almost every faction has a large amount of living family members compared to regions at the start date, especially smaller factions like Armenia, Syria, Aragon and the like. and these families will only grow as the game progresses. Also expansion will be slow with Dots so the number of regions is unlikely to massively outnumber family members. and the amount of Generals (rather than actual family member characters) will reduce casualties from within the family tree during the game. So in all adoption offers will probably be very minimal.

Though like raziel i'm only postulating.
    Veni Vidi Velcro

Baerke Hinn Gauzki's Avatar Senator
    I have absolutely no bloody clue. Somewhere in Sweden I THINK...

Holy moly... And I thought real life family trees looked good... These ones bloody surpass them o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato_Sandwich View Post
    Adoption in Dots will probably be very minimal. Almost every faction has a large amount of living family members compared to regions at the start date, especially smaller factions like Armenia, Syria, Aragon and the like. and these families will only grow as the game progresses. Also expansion will be slow with Dots so the number of regions is unlikely to massively outnumber family members. and the amount of Generals (rather than actual family member characters) will reduce casualties from within the family tree during the game. So in all adoption offers will probably be very minimal.

Though like raziel i'm only postulating.
    My worries are not with lack of adoption (which I never do), its not getting marriage proposals or new children being born. This is a big problem in mods thats I've played (although thier rate of expansion is probably much bigger than DoTS). I always end up having to inbreed my princesses just so that my characters can have kids

My worries are not with lack of adoption (which I never do), its not getting marriage proposals or new children being born. This is a big problem in mods thats I've played (although thier rate of expansion is probably much bigger than DoTS). I always end up having to inbreed my princesses just so that my characters can have kids
    Ah right. raziel is probably right, it will definitely be lessened. how much though we'll only know after testing.
    As far as i'm aware the ratio between regions and birthrate rate isn't modable. For the larger factions with a tree, like the Seljuks, this shouldn't be a problem. but for smaller factions that have more than 20 starting characters and only a couple of regions, like Norway and Syria, this could be a problem.
    The trees are all but done, raziel only has a few more to do i think, so i intended to start testing how they evolved in game soon. I'll keep this in mind and let you know!
    Last edited by Tomato_Sandwich; November 05, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Veni Vidi Velcro

Since our health and longevity systems are so extreme, characters are going to be dying off all the time, often quite young. Generals will also be much more likely to die of their wounds after battle. So there will be loads of room for birthrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato_Sandwich View Post
    ll keep this in mind and let you know!
    Thanks, I'll look forward to that!

Since our health and longevity systems are so extreme, characters are going to be dying off all the time, often quite young. Generals will also be much more likely to die of their wounds after battle. So there will be loads of room for birthrates.
    Fingers crossed

Can't wait to see the rest of these!

Are there any more family tree previews coming?
    Last edited by Meneth; January 28, 2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Double post
    La Garde recule.

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

I see double posting isn't an issue anymore, in that case let's drive Meneth mad.

Just kidding, this longetivity system sounds interesting!

You are a very .... very sick man.

Funny thing is that once I sent one of my heirs on a suicide mission and he won against an army of 4 archers (alone with his bodyguard) name was something like Ulfric, was blind (His mother was his fathers cousin), lame, has infertile, gay, his ancillary was bad advisor and the like, and he died at the age of 97, having conquered half the known world.

Word of advice:
    KILL THEM BEFORE THEY LAY EGGS!!!!!

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

No double posts.
    No accusations, if you believe someone has broken the rules, report them.

Heck, most of my games I inbreed them like crazy, just to see what kind of weirdo I can produce on the throne.
    La Garde recule.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

waw! nice...

Any new trees to show Raziel??

Lol, if this is in game, with all the portraits etc its massive. Really massive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234