Thread: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: The Walking Dead

What I do not understand is why the katana wielding crazy woman has great urge to kill the governor? Is she another rape victim?
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by white-wolf View Post
    What I do not understand is why the katana wielding crazy woman has great urge to kill the governor? Is she another rape victim?
    Because he's a dangerous liar. She suspects he's responsible for the deaths of many innocents, and she's right.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Because he's a dangerous liar. She suspects he's responsible for the deaths of many innocents, and she's right.
    That could not be reason to feel huge urge to kill him.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Why not? She also suspects he's power hungry to the point that he's willing to do anything to claim it, and again she's right. I'm assuming that she also cares for Andrea.

Plus, there was also that whole business with sending guys after her.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Plus, there was also that whole business with sending guys after her.
    Thats it! I wondered what I missed, lol.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Must admit I found it somewhat funny when the random mook with the shotgun came walking slowly out the smoke, Ricks eyes widening as he arms the shotgun and ... shoots the black guy behind Rick.

New Dog even got his dying moment stolen.

There isn't a good reason for her to take such risks just because he tried to kill her. She already got away and killed most of the men he sent after her. This way Michonne is shown as a crazy psychopath (what she isn't).

It's just lazy writing. They wanted to follow the comic storyline of Michonne taking revenge on the Governor, only without giving her a proper reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by rabenschnabel View Post
    There isn't a good reason for her to take such risks just because he tried to kill her. She already got away and killed most of the men he sent after her. This way Michonne is shown as a crazy psychopath (what she isn't).

It's just lazy writing. They wanted to follow the comic storyline of Michonne taking revenge on the Governor, only without giving her a proper reason to do so.
    You are wrong there, she doesn't come off as a psychopath at all. She knows that he is insane and a murderer, and most importantly that he has convinced her only friend at the time to join him (whose fate she doesn't know since he tried to kill her). She also knows that the main person he sent after her, Merle, is still alive and that there are dozens more to replace the ones she killed.

She would be, given what the audience knows, an idiot to leave him alive to come after her and her (she is is hopeful just like in the comics) new friends at the prison. At least in this version she didn't stick around to methodically torture him for hours which is another example of a silly comic scene that they avoided. She was just there to kill/confront him (we don't know what her plan was actually since she was interrupted by her discovery of the zombie daughter, maybe she just wanted to know where Andrea was/if anything had happened to her). She doesn't rip out his eye, she just happened to stab him in the eye with a shard of glass in self-defense.

Also her being raped did not make her actions in the comics less psychopathic or unrealistic, they just explained why she lost it. So far all the comic purists in this thread complaining about lazy writing really just have no good criticisms to make. Not that the show is perfect, but it is as good as you are going to get with this material probably. You should try to just enjoy it.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

As my roommate explains it, Michonne is an example of an RPG character that put 0 points into Charisma and has a negative Charisma modifier

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I don't think Michonne needs any more complex reason to kill the governor, she knows he's a loon who's convinced a large enough group to follow him. She knows he's a killer because he sent Merle after her, she knows he won't forget about the attack of Rick's group and he'll want vengeance, she probably knows if she kills him the others don't have another leader who'll be as big a threat. Plenty reasons to take him out while his guard was off.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I don't think Michonne needs any more complex reason to kill the governor, she knows he's a loon who's convinced a large enough group to follow him. She knows he's a killer because he sent Merle after her, she knows he won't forget about the attack of Rick's group and he'll want vengeance, she probably knows if she kills him the others don't have another leader who'll be as big a threat. Plenty reasons to take him out while his guard was off.

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    You are wrong there, she doesn't come off as a psychopath at all. She knows that he is insane and a murderer, and most importantly that he has convinced her only friend at the time to join him (whose fate she doesn't know since he tried to kill her).
    How does she know that he is insane and a murderer? She only has some suspicions and doesn't trust him. That only leaves the fact that Andrea decided to stay with him. Jealousy is a sane reason to kill someone?

She would be, given what the audience knows, an idiot to leave him alive to come after her and her (she is is hopeful just like in the comics) new friends at the prison.
    How could she think that he would come after her? He has no idea where she went. And the "new friends" are just some people she doesn't trust yet. The only reason she went there is that the writers wanted the confrontation with the Governor.

She doesn't rip out his eye, she just happened to stab him in the eye with a shard of glass in self-defense.
    After she (out of spite) killed something the Governor thought is his daughter. That's the problem with TV-Governor, he crazy, but not in such a way you hate or fear him. You only feel pity.

Not that the show is perfect, but it is as good as you are going to get with this material probably.
    At least not with such bad writers. The material is there, I only wish they would use more than just the names of the characters.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Yeah, right...
    TWD has become a comedy show, I was laughing loud when New-Dog died.
    And TV-Governor is someone you pity, not hate or fear.

ps: What was Michonne doing in the Governor's house? There was no reason for her (unlike in the comic) to wait for him.
    As much as I liked the guy I laughed too when he died because all of the jokes we made predicting that. I think Michonne had a good reason to kill the governor because he tried to kill her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSutekh View Post
    Michonne was there to kill the Governor because she knew that it was him who sent people after her to kill her. Though she should have it closer to the door. Anybody could shot her.
    The governor in the other hand had no real motivation to send those guys against Michonne. She was already gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    You know what's scary about TV Governor?

He's so persuasive especially with the recent wound, that when he talks, man, I feel like I can follow him anywhere (into the depths of hell and back).
    And I consider myself an educated man.
    Yes, the producers really made a good job developing this side of the governor. This is one thing I cant complain about. And all in all it was a great episode and a MUCH better season than season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    The governor in the other hand had no real motivation to send those guys against Michonne. She was already gone.
    Security, I mean i would be iffy about just letting someone walk away with the knowledge of my little city in his position.... I mean if nothing else nodding, shaking there hands at the gate, and then shooting them the second there out of sight of the walls is probably standard procedure.(heck rick and such attacking there city is a perfect example of why you shouldn't let peeps leave your group, and live)

I didn't really get why he killed the military guys myself, since he could of taken them in and had a bunch of trained men with guns who owed him that could help out with defense, and still get to keep there supplies.... but on the flipside he would of had a bunch of known cowards and deserters, plus a group of armed men whose first loyalty wasn't to the governor.(which didn't really occur to me till right as i was writing this.)

Michonne has plenty of reason to kill the Governor.. hes a politician to start with, which is a good reason to kill ANYONE, also having people sent after you in an attempt to kill you also seems a very good reason to kill someone.... plus she was clear aware of him shooting up the military guys.

One thing i just can't comprehend myself thou is(and this is going back a few episodes)... why do they bother trying to spread out the zombies along the mesh fence? it would clearly be faster and less effort to just quickly stab them each once in the face and call it a day?

Also the token black guy this is a running joke i see... barley has the last one stepped into the shoes of a productive member of the group, before a new token black guy turns up and the old gets killed again.
    Last edited by Shaio; December 04, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Check out my YouTube videos!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

How does she know that he is insane and a murderer? She only has some suspicions and doesn't trust him. That only leaves the fact that Andrea decided to stay with him. Jealousy is a sane reason to kill someone?

How could she think that he would come after her? He has no idea where she went. And the "new friends" are just some people she doesn't trust yet. The only reason she went there is that the writers wanted the confrontation with the Governor.

After she (out of spite) killed something the Governor thought is his daughter. That's the problem with TV-Governor, he crazy, but not in such a way you hate or fear him. You only feel pity.

At least not with such bad writers. The material is there, I only wish they would use more than just the names of the characters.
    I think the Governor is plenty menacing in his own way. Hidden madness will always be far more scary than open madness. Particularly when it is hidden under a boatload of charisma, the Govenor is essentially a Hannibal Lecter type.

I hardly think a raving evil lunatic would have half the presence the current governor have, I think he is doing an excellent job and the writers too, as the season have been excellent so far.

Letting anyone who knows where Woodbury is good could be suicide, especially someone who's clearly strong and able to survive like Michonne. What if she joins up with some group of bandits 50 men strong at some point? She knows the defences, the number of people there, their weaponry. Woodbury has a huge stockpile of everything anyone would want in such a world, all they need is to kill or extort the people inside. They don't even have to be succesful for it to be absolutely catastrophic to the community, you already saw in the show how shaken and unprepared the town was after a raid by just a handful of people.

The Governor doesn't seem like the guy to take chances, so he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rabenschnabel
    After she (out of spite) killed something the Governor thought is his daughter. That's the problem with TV-Governor, he crazy, but not in such a way you hate or fear him. You only feel pity
    Compared to what, the comic Governor? He wasn't scary or even crazy, he just came across as a stupid . Absurdly cartoonishly evil. It isn't threatening or scary, certainly not in a series which focuses on actual drama.

The best psychopaths are those that can act straight, but have something about them that puts you off, their dark side. That's why Sexy Beast was such a great movie, because Kingsley's character was unhinged in a realistic way. He seems alright but it becomes more apparant that there's something wrong with him, and he has occassional outbursts of sudden anger, despair and madness which is far more threatening because it's unpredictable. And that's the same vibe I get from the TV Governor, that you're never quite sure what he's thinking, who he's going to kill next for some contrived reason. Hell, you might as well say that that's the entire crux of the show and comic: the unpredictability of human nature as people are shaped and formed by the horrors around them, and forced to adapt. Social contact between strangers has broken down to a complete lack of trust, as that's the only way to stay alive.

And Michonne's reasons for coming after the Governor in the comic are pretty ing stupid as well. Not her motivation, but the fact that the Governor is stupid and evil enough to do such a thing.
    Last edited by Dr. Croccer; December 04, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    Letting anyone who knows where Woodbury is good could be suicide, especially someone who's clearly strong and able to survive like Michonne. What if she joins up with some group of bandits 50 men strong at some point? She knows the defences, the number of people there, their weaponry. Woodbury has a huge stockpile of everything anyone would want in such a world, all they need is to kill or extort the people inside. They don't even have to be succesful for it to be absolutely catastrophic to the community, you already saw in the show how shaken and unprepared the town was after a raid by just a handful of people.

The Governor doesn't seem like the guy to take chances, so he didn't.

Compared to what, the comic Governor? He wasn't scary or even crazy, he just came across as a stupid . Absurdly cartoonishly evil. It isn't threatening or scary, certainly not in a series which focuses on actual drama.

The best psychopaths are those that can act straight, but have something about them that puts you off, their dark side. That's why Sexy Beast was such a great movie, because Kingsley's character was unhinged in a realistic way. He seems alright but it becomes more apparant that there's something wrong with him, and he has occassional outbursts of sudden anger, despair and madness which is far more threatening because it's unpredictable. And that's the same vibe I get from the TV Governor, that you're never quite sure what he's thinking, who he's going to kill next for some contrived reason. Hell, you might as well say that that's the entire crux of the show and comic: the unpredictability of human nature as people are shaped and formed by the horrors around them, and forced to adapt. Social contact between strangers has broken down to a complete lack of trust, as that's the only way to stay alive.

And Michonne's reasons for coming after the Governor in the comic are pretty ing stupid as well. Not her motivation, but the fact that the Governor is stupid and evil enough to do such a thing.
    Are you saying that raping her for information/ pleasure was a dumb move? why?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    Letting anyone who knows where Woodbury is good could be suicide, especially someone who's clearly strong and able to survive like Michonne. What if she joins up with some group of bandits 50 men strong at some point? She knows the defences, the number of people there, their weaponry. Woodbury has a huge stockpile of everything anyone would want in such a world, all they need is to kill or extort the people inside. They don't even have to be succesful for it to be absolutely catastrophic to the community, you already saw in the show how shaken and unprepared the town was after a raid by just a handful of people. ...

So should Rick just kill everybody who gets aware of the prison because of the same reason? So should he have killed the 2 convicts because they could leave and return with an army? I dont think so. Not a good motivation to kill Michonne. I also have to disagree about your point on Michonne's motivation. In the comic there was a much stronger motivation for Michonne to try to avenge herself.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Torture and rape are pretty strong motivations in my opinion

But I think that in tv series they gave enough reason for Michonne to go after the governor.

Except it is very clearly established in the series that the governor doesn't really let survivors go that easily. He doesn't want anyone to be free like that.
    The Armenian Issue

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Shaio View Post
    Security, I mean i would be iffy about just letting someone walk away with the knowledge of my little city in his position.... I mean if nothing else nodding, shaking there hands at the gate, and then shooting them the second there out of sight of the walls is probably standard procedure.(heck rick and such attacking there city is a perfect example of why you shouldn't let peeps leave your group, and live)
    I think you may be overreacting a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaio View Post
    I didn't really get why he killed the military guys myself, since he could of taken them in and had a bunch of trained men with guns who owed him that could help out with defense, and still get to keep there supplies.... but on the flipside he would of had a bunch of known cowards and deserters, plus a group of armed men whose first loyalty wasn't to the governor.(which didn't really occur to me till right as i was writing this.)
    Because the last thing you'd want to have as a politician are some armed Praetorian Guards, challenging your authority at the first sign of weakness.