Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hotseat & Multiplayer FAQ

Default Re: Hotseat & Multiplayer FAQ

Hello, I'm having problems with the hotseat launcher that seem very strange. First, a few turns in i stopped being able to make any units (kind of game breaking). all the settlements said recruitment slots remaining: 0 even when no one was being recruited. I looked at the information for the settlement buildings and the line that says how many recruitment slots it gives was missing. My friend could recruit units fine, however.

second but possibly related, the hotseat launcher seems to somehow ignore a lot of things in the config file. it doesn't use auto-borderless window mode, it still has the scroll at the beginning of the turns, it doesnt say the year, and so on. The really weird part is that it seems to use at least some of the config file because its still got banners and the movies when generals die and etc disabled and has the highest unit detail. I looked for but could not find something in the files for the hotseat launcher that looked anything like it had to do with this stuff but i dont really know what i'm doing so i decided to see if anyone knows anything about this.

also the difficulty seems to be on medium and I cannot figure out any way to change that either,.

In case it matters we are playing as Hungary and the HRE

I don't know what would cause the game issues with the HS Launcher. Perhaps it is SS related?

Regarding the config files, the hotseat launcher will set some config settings directly, regardless of what is in the config files. Most of these settings can be specified when the game is first created and cannot be changed. This should explain why some config settings are ignored. I will look into including the SS HS Launcher config file and the medium difficulty setting in a future version of the HS launcher.
    Total War Modder, Former Total War Developer

that would be amazing, the hotseat launcher seemed extremely convenient but it caused too many problems the way it is, so my friend and I went back to the old method of sending each other the saves. It's more work but there havn't been any glitches. I would love to see a new version of the hotseat launcher, it's an amazing program.

Hi everyone,
    I am setting up an hotseat right now forme and a few of my friends and I just want to clarify something.

If we want to be able to defend against AI factions, scrolls must be deactivated, meaning that there is no password usage possible. And even then, the fight is going on the AI's turn, meaning that it is actually the last human player that will be playing it, which is basically wrong.

Am I understanding this right?

I've been playing a hotseat campaign with my friend, and it's been great fun so far - he's quickly learnt the functions of the game, but there's something that seems to have happened; he got attacked by the AI and the battle was auto-resolved without even giving him the chance to play.

(As an aside, his faction is before mine, and thus everyone else makes their move after I hit 'end turn' as I go right after him - just in case that means anything)

Is this auto-resolving of battles something that always happen in hotseats? Will it occur to both of us or just him, it being my turn that the AI play after? Is it possible to allow him to fight battles at all, as that's what we'd ideally like. Thanks.

PS - I've used the search function + google to try and find answers to this, but all my search results have just come up with stuff for TATW, and since this isn't that mod, obviously, I figured it'd be best just to ask.
    Last edited by bɑne; September 15, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Default Re: Hotseat - how to avoid auto-resolving defensive battles

At the start of the game, at the faction selection screen, there is a button in the bottom right that says something like "Always Auto-Resolve". Just start a new game and uncheck it before you start.

Quote Originally Posted by DC53 View Post
    At the start of the game, at the faction selection screen, there is a button in the bottom right that says something like "Always Auto-Resolve". Just start a new game and uncheck it before you start.
    I'm almost certain I left that unchecked - I just went to start up a new game now and it has it unticked there, and, assuming it keeps the settings you last started a campaign with, our current game doesn't have it on either.

Is there some sort of text file that can be edited?

Lazy's Avatar Biarchus

Funny... I made a search for "hotseat autoresolve" and the very first result I clicked on has the answere.
    Dont feel bad... this works for most "problems" I read in this forum

=> Hotseat & Multiplayer FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    ...the woman trampled didn't look impenetrable. So they ran through her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    Funny... I made a search for "hotseat autoresolve" and the very first result I clicked on has the answere.
    Dont feel bad... this works for most "problems" I read in this forum

=> Hotseat & Multiplayer FAQ
    Quoting myself from that topic:
    Important here is the option for scrolls, having the meaning of the scroll that comes up at the start of each players turn
    - this must be disabled for everyone to be able to defend in Hotseat. Afaik regretably not savegame compatible.
    Just add everything starting with "[hotseat]" ending with "# allow_validation_failures = false" from to your own cfg.

Topics merged. Double post merged.

Wow, I feel stupid. I read that in a rush and so I just looked at the spoiler names, and then figured it didn't apply to me. Many thanks for that, really appreciate it!

Is there a way players can fight battles from the AI in hotseat multiplayer campaign for 6.4 and allow passwords?

Hi, a friend and I are experiencing the same problem: can't allow for passwords and fight battles in ai turns.. also the game difficulty resets to medium :|

(sorry for the double post, i'm new to the forum and have no idea how to edit the previous one) .. I managed to protect turns with password & allow to defend against ai (the area of the battle will be black) & keep scrools at the begining of the turn (if by scrolls it's ment traits updates, summary, adoptions, etc). It also allows for multitasking without having to reload.
    the config is the following (i copied parts of KGCM config into SS6.4 one to achieve this, credit to them for each part)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [launcher]
    kingdomsDir=..\..
    swapMenuBackground=true
    swapMenuMusic=true
    swapBAI=true
    autoLocateLogFile=true
    autoBorderlessMode=true
    steamCheck=true
    firstRun=false
    steam=false
    [features]
    mod=mods/SS6.3
    [log]
    to=mods/SS6.3/system.log.txt
    level=* error
    ;level=* trace
    [io]
    file_first=true
    [hotseat]
    turns = 0
    disable_console = 1
    disable_papal_elections = 1
    validate_diplomacy = 1
    autosave = 1
    save_prefs = 1
    update_ai_camera = 1
    save_config = 1
    autoresolve_battles = 0
    [video]
    no_background_fmv=true
    grass_distance=9000
    unit_detail=high
    windowed=true
    borderless_window=true
    movies=false
    [game]
    auto_save = 1
    event_cutscenes = 1
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1
    [misc]
    show_hud_date=true

still have the problem of difficulty resetting itself to medium from vh at the begining of the second player's turn. As far as i understand it may not be due to the .cfg file, but still i've no idea where to fix this.. i'd love some help

A friend and I are having the same trouble as sandymoo.. Was a solution ever found?

Also I can add that it happens to both my friend and I, none of us can recruit anything, even units we haven't made before. I really need a solution to this.

I have tried Kammamuris (two posts above) solution for AI-turn-battles (beside many other) but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I really have no idea about this but as far as I understand it, this is not save-game-compatible.

I just copy the text into "default.cfg" then enter the game and start a hotseat. Is it important which preferences i choose?

No matter what I do it doesn't seem to work. I played several hotseat-campaigns with 6.2 before and everything was fine.

Doublepost (because: update ):

Found the solution. It's not (just?) "default.cfg" I had to change but "medieval2.preference.cfg"! Now ai-turn-battles are working!

Quote Originally Posted by RC-1136 View Post
    Doublepost (because: update ):

Found the solution. It's not (just?) "default.cfg" I had to change but "medieval2.preference.cfg"! Now ai-turn-battles are working!
    Anyone know what RC-1136 changed to the medieval2.preference.cfg?

Laetus

Playing SS 6.4 finally managed to get AI defensive battles working and thought I had best post my tribulations and triumph for all the other amateurs struggling to get their pants on. Initially copy pasted entire "Example cfg for stainless steel 6.3 hotseat" (posted by bane at start of thread) into default.cfg over existing text string. I then started new campaign but it didn't work, tried Kammamuri method, restarted, also didn't work. Read intensely through entire thread for missed step and couldn't find problem, did notice a number of others having the same problem despite bane specifically saying cfg change works with 6.4. Finally I realized I hadn't closed and reopened the game itsel. Did this and voila it worked. Perhaps problem other noobs like myself were having and do doubt more will have. Also in response to broodwarjc question I changed just the [hotseat] section of the medieval2.preference.cfg to the equivelent posted by Kammamuri, don't actually know if it's necessary as I didn't do a restart of game before doing this additional step suggested by RC-1136. Furthermore if you find that after posting in either banes or kammamuri text strings you have undesired loss of full screen it is due to windowed=true & borderless_window=true in the [video] section, change these to false.

So, me and my friends are trying to do a hotseat on Stainless Steel 6.4 but somehow I do not seem to be able to load the save files they send me. As a matter of fact I canīt do this with any Med2 mod I have installed on my PC. I can only load received save files with the vanilla version or any of the campaigns from Kingdoms. But not with mods. Iīm sorry if I am not posting this at the right place here in the forums but I am new here and I am desperately trying to make this hotseat work for the last couple of days and I thought someone could help me here!

Hi guys, I got the same problem with the medium reset after I end the first turn. Did anyone come up with a solution? The game isnt challenging at medium

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast