Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Town and Castle RozMod for SS6.3 Beta released

Lemming69's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The Roz Mod for Stainless Steel 6.3

speaking of altering starting armies/garrissons- perhaps we could add appropriate units to the starting armies- for example- by 1100 i think its a bit unreasonable for englands army to be filled with fryd spearmen. seeing as the norman army was mail clad 44 years before, surely it would be mroe realistic to add norman sergeants and those sorts of units into the starting army- instead of having to wait god knows how many years to recruit more of the already somewhat outdated units when buildings are upgraded. either that or add a blacksmith to certain key towns from the beginning.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

L69
    the fyrd spearmen could easily be removed completely and replaced by spear militia.
    the fyrd was anglo-saxon in derivation but appears to have been called out into post A-S period by new Norman overlords.
    I doubt the Normans would have spent much time upgrading their equipment until well into the 12th century (or even later)
    they would be the same people who became militia and levy troops later.

anyway fyrd should not be available outside of england.

norman sergeants probably only suitable for castles under the vanilla town/castle set-up.
    ----

chugging along.

have the genoa change in place - seems to work fine, even if the pope does pinch pisa sometimes.
    (he obviously wants a pisa the action) (I'll get my coat ..)

the spanish changes seem to work OK - interesting variety of outcomes anyway.
    still some more bits and pieces to sort out, incl polish and russian regions then I'll release into the wild.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; September 02, 2010 at 07:39 PM.

*************AARGH***************

apologies have discovered that I missed a file when compiling the last test module with the perm forts:
    the me_fort_a has the old bugged worldpkgdescr file so showed as wooden fort on the battle map.
    (it's an old CA bug)
    here's the zipped file unzip into the SS6.3/data/settlements/middle_eastern/ambient_settlements folder:
    Attachment 106656

will have to release the next test module as a complete download for those who don't follow the thread and want the proper version.

still that' what test modules are all about?

I just gotta say i never played the 6.2 compilation but im loving this 6.3 one. I beat an early campaign as Venice with test module 5 and it was amazing. Population boom wasnt as ridiculous as it usually is and the whole permanent forts being around added a fun new aspect without making the game ridiculously hard for the ai. Looking forward to the next test module
    "Yes. It is true. I, Michael Scott, am signing up with an online dating service. Thousands of people have done it, and I am going to do it. I need a username, and... I have a great one. "Little Kid Lover". That way people will know exactly where my priorities are at." -Michael Scott

iamsawyer - pleased you enjoyed the game and take the time to test the Mod.

will have to see which of the various fix mods are compatible and can (with permission) be included.

sorry i was a little vague in the first post but it was about a 200 turn game i kinda blitzkrieged it.. But what i seemed to notice was HRE got smashed pretty soon, The moors lost all their desert dwellings fairly early then they were kicked out of spain, crusader states got rolled as usual, England rolled over scotland, but one new thing was lithuania... I dont know what happened but they killed both russians and pushed hungary and poland out of their homelands, ive never seen this before but it might be a common thing. I did notice that the AI would capture the forts but in a lot of occasions they would move out of them leaving them vacant. Im currently doing a campaign as Genoa(my favorite faction) im on turn 50ish and im making the usual horde of florins per turn but one thing i noticed was the population boom wasnt as much. I enjoy this as i can get buildings before i upgrade. I will report at turn 100 and Lithuania seems to be wrecking again. Sorry for the long post and ill keep u informed as this mod interests me.
    "Yes. It is true. I, Michael Scott, am signing up with an online dating service. Thousands of people have done it, and I am going to do it. I need a username, and... I have a great one. "Little Kid Lover". That way people will know exactly where my priorities are at." -Michael Scott

thx for that report back.
    been so busy making changes and checking they work OK that I've not had a long run at the mod itself.

Moors can either take over Spain or get booted out.
    with Aragon with just Pamplona but with leon_castile with burgos and Moors with Seville it should balance out .
    I've buffed Tunis and Algiers to slow down Sicily a bit and with them having Bari, the Byz focus on north africa - atleast in early stages of game.
    HRE are so difficult - f you make them too strong they can steamroller everyone, but they inevitably attack other catholics so get clobbered at ex-communication time.

The region changes are now complete (until some more need doing.)
    I decided to let Poland keep Halych - looking on maps it seems that Galicia is split between haych and baia and as Cumans get Baia, I let Poland keep Halych.
    otherwise Novgorod has lost Moscow and Yaroslavl but gained Pskov.
    Cumans have lost Kazan and Bulgar. They were split between western and eastern kipchaq so that looks OK. They have plenty of room to expand into now.

still work to be done on rebels and nerfing the byz recruitment and, of course, sorting out proper 2 TPY for the campaign script.

yea im seeing HRE getting steamrolled by france, poland, and denmark. Genoa and Venice seem way more aggressive which is nice, but again Lithuania is unstoppable.

Lithuania gets off to a good start because they get too many good troops at start.
    I've been chipping away at them to slow them down a bit.
    Really they shouldn't qualify as an early era faction - there's other much better candidates - Sweden, Abbasids, Chernigov.

Genoa has been reduced to a single region to start with - should help slow them down.
    venice I've seen destroyed by byzantines - so their start position looks OK.
    Byz need serious work on their replenishment rates and AoR recruitment. the old rozmod EDB did a reasonable job, but I await the 6.3.1 patch before starting work there.

right all I need do is remove Mosul from Turks and I'll play through for a bit and then release the next Test Module.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; September 05, 2010 at 04:51 PM.

i agree with the lithuania bit, and yes Venice has been beaten by the Byz before. Starting them off with only Genoa should slow them down. But replacing Lithuania with another faction... Norway and Denmark already crowd scandinavia. But if Lithuania was remmoved who would move into that mass of rebels, Novgorod? My vote would be for the abbassids so the fatamids cant simply steamroll up to the byz empire.

well replacing factions is currently beyond the scope of the RozMod so we're stuck with lithuania for now.

tried out the much revised Kipchaq (Cuman) start position - it's not easy and you really need to make friends quickly as you need time to build the economy before recruiting anyone.
    weirdly the there's 2 units you can't recruit early on as Cumans - Cuman Militia and Cuman Horse Militia.
    you can have pechenegs, tartars, alans, and any mercs going but you can't recruit any cuman troops (apart from bekh druzhina).
    you can expensive mounted yasi (yasi being turkestan - an are to the east of khwarezm) in Bulgaria

but you can't recruit cuman militia until you get large towns and cuman horse militia until you get cities (if I read the EDB correctly)
    might be an idea to bring them down in limited numbers to lower levels and make them available in castles - won't matter when the full RozMod is done of course.

Got to about turn 50 with Sicily just to see how things turned out... Moors took over all of spain, scotland was holding its own with england due to norway capturing nottingham (use of sea invasion) byzantines were destroying turks as usual and egypt killed crusader states again as usual. But what caught my eye was that the russians kiev and novgorod were actually doing good, Kiev had pushed east into kuman lands and novgorod had gotten the rebel places before Lithuania and that made all the difference. Norway had all of scandinavia. Denmark had Visby, and its beginning lands except for that one on scandinavia, but had gotten south as far as frankfurt. Poland had taken the HRE places in the east and france in the west. Genoa was dominating as usual but hopefully the new fix of them starting with only genoa will help. Venice was doing fine. Also K shaw was doing its usual thing. Population boom and trade seemed less than with vanilla stainless steel which was good. But one thing im seeing that is odd is all of the hungarians have this Nembol thing at the end of their names, this might be intended but iff not you should look into it. I am just doing test runs with factions to see how things turn out and to report bugs, so i shall be doing a hungarian campaign now.

thx for update - Hungarian names problem has been mentioned elsewhere - it might be sorted out in the fix compilation
    (I've not installed it as I'm not sure what it does.)
    anway must get and sort out the new version with the revised descr_strat.
    have to go through lots of folders to check I haven't missed anything!

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    (I've not installed it as I'm not sure what it does.)
    It includes all the official fixes released so far.
    Then there's some fixes done by bane (there's a list in the Compendium change-log)
    And then there's a vast number of typos and grammatical errors in the text-files that have been fixed by me and bane.

cheers meneth

OK Test module 6 is now available for download:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...t=down&id=2921

found some castle files in the wrong place so have added them.
    should fix the pathfinding on the middle eastern fortress and some texture issues.
    includes the latest update I have tested for the region changes - seems to help crusaders.

(may be more in due course.)

Probably easiest to install over top of existing RozMod version of stainless steel to ensure you've got the latest version.

due to the chaotic way i work it's quite possible I've missed something!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    update:

changed cumans to middle_eastern_culture to middle_eastern - causes problems with ports - due to the weird way the EDB has been written cumans can't now build ports
    but can build merchants wharf line of buildings.

the other problem is that cumans build russian ships which look more baltic than black sea or caspian sea.
    dhows or galleys might be better than lad'yas. changing that requires all sorts of other changes, graphic files etc (incl EDU)

for now I suggest changing the EDB so cuman are included in middle_eastern section for ports.
    let me know if you spot other weirdness.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; September 06, 2010 at 07:35 PM.

ROZ-

Cool, I am gonna test some tonight

Just wondering if you were planning on adding the northen generals mod fix into Rozmod?
    Last edited by stevehoos; September 06, 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Suggestion roz: implent SSHCP in your submod (new names for factions like moors become Almoravids)....however SSHCP only works (in my case) playing as RE.
    Last edited by dominion; September 06, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

adding other fixes - well that sounds a cool idea if those people are agreeable and the fixes are stable and finalised.
    I don't want to be having to update the Rozmod every time someone else updates their mod.

if the northern generals fix works then you're free to implement it.

as for the historical names project - that starts in 1130 which i don't want as the start date for the RozMod. I actually think 1100 is much better.
    so you can, of course implement it for your own set-up but it won't be part of the Rozmod.

the RozMod will be implementing the historical revisions for the 1100 start-up.
    (especially as I'm doing some of the research for it.)
    -------------

looking through the EDB it seems that scotland can't build
    barons /earls or kings stables or marksmens ranges although they can recruit in them.

not sure I understand why.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; September 07, 2010 at 06:35 AM.

I think dominion was only suggesting you take the titles and the new region/settlement names - these can be applied to both start dates.
    Actually, I also plan to use your updated campaign map (when it's done, of course), so there won't be compatiblity issues in this regard.

Fair Prince;8041187]I think dominion was only suggesting you take the titles and the new region/settlement names
    That's what i meant....

But since you're also researching i suppose you were already planning such things...not?