Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Faction Thread: The Swiss

Default Re: Faction Thread: The Swiss

I think the swiss are a good example for the 'philosophic' apects of modding/gaming. When has 'history' to end and 'gaming' to start?

Do you want the game to run like real history when you hit the "self-run' button?
    Thats why the Swiss are in! They would not be in if we were making the game without "what ifs."

The Swiss Confederation would translate as either "Der Schweize Konfoderation" or "Der Schweiz Konfoderation".

Swiss Confederation:

Confoederatio Helvetica

Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft ="Swiss Oath Fellowship" or "Swiss Commonwealth of the Covenant." It dates its independence to 1291.

Confédération suisse

Confederazione Svizzera

Confederaziun svizra

Quote Originally Posted by Serious samurai View Post
    Swiss Confederation:

Confoederatio Helvetica

Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft ="Swiss Oath Fellowship" or "Swiss Commonwealth of the Covenant." It dates its independence to 1291.

Confédération suisse

Confederazione Svizzera

Confederaziun svizra

hm... which one to choose? I think the latin version would be best. that would avoid endless discussions of why we preferred one 'living' language over the other...

Well, German sounds cooler, but I don't know Latin would makes sense, but then, we'd have to name all the units in Latin, a mix of names would look odd, we could name them all in Romansh, but I don't know if we'd find anyone who could speak it .

Why dont we just keep it the Swiss Confederation?

call them the Swiss Eidgenossenschaft...

somehow I also like this name better

"But it was not till after Sempach (1386) that it came into popular use, the historian J. von Muller (1785) fixing the distinction between " Schweiz " (for the country) and " Schwyz " (for the canton), and it did not form the official name of the Confederation till 1803 . (Officially in the middle ages and later the Confederation was named " Ies Ligues de la Haute Allemagne," or, as Commines, late in the 15th century, puts it, " les vieilles Ligues d'Allemagne qu'on appelle Suisses," while from c . 1452 onwards the people were called " Swiss ") "

from here:
    http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/SUS_TAV/SWITZERLAND.html

hallo i have a link for you
    http://www.geschichte-schweiz.ch/alt...chaft-1291.htm
    my opinion as a living swiss you call us Eidgenossen pleasel

Quote Originally Posted by nom View Post

hallo i have a link for you
    http://www.geschichte-schweiz.ch/alt...chaft-1291.htm
    my opinion as a living swiss you call us Eidgenossen pleasel
    Hm. I would have no problem with 'Eidgenossenschaft' or 'Schweizer Eidgenossenschaft'. - But what would your fellows of the italian swiss or the french swiss say? I don't think they will be pleased.
    Better use the english or latin name.

I'd prefer the german names, too, but better take neutral ones to prevent arguments.

Dimitri I completely agree, Swizterland is not all german so we should keep it with universal languages like english or latin.

Quote Originally Posted by ramtha View Post
    What they need is a sort of impossible defense to break.

If this is possible...

In history the Swiss have NEVER been attacked by any other nation invasion wise.

Even Adolph Hitler in WW2 didn't even attempt to attack them.

This is because of either two things...

1) Conspiracy wise, they fund all the wars for that the illumanati have with their banks, but do we want to bring the illumanati into the game? lol
    2) Their deep mountain passes have prevented nations in the past from being able to make a full force invasion.
    3) Their people are too educated and the citizens are all armed to the teeth like they are to this day, similiar to why no one can invade the United States.

If we could perhaps limit their ability to expand, let them take only minimal land, and be somewhat isolationists that would be more realistic.
    wrong: Napoleon just ignored - as he did with every other neutral country - the notion "neutrality" and marched his grande armée straight through swiss to get to italy faster to beat the austrians, after that the swiss confederation ceased to excist and became a french vassal-state known as the 'helvetian republic'

so swiss should be damn right invadeble, not because ppl were never interested in mountains and snow that we can't make up for their mistakes by taking them on in MTW

The Swiss Confederation in it's early days, as the forest cantons (Waldstätte) of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden were invaded by several armies of the Austrian Hapsburgs. It was also invaded (when it had expanded to include various other states such as Lucerne) by the Burgundians in the latter Burgundian wars. Their greatest victories were on their own soil and their greatest defeats were not.

i think the swiss units (at least a large number of them) should be stronger than their counterparts in other nations. cuz if the swiss were known for one thing back then, its that they could be relied upon, no mercenaries were higher valued then the swiss in the early modern age. the opposite of swiss merc (loyal, headstrong, never relenting,...) was the german merc (disloyal, rape, murder, theft, more rape, more murder and more theft...). i think this should be shown in the swiss as a faction. (and perhaps to with the germans... at least there merc's )

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    i think the swiss units (at least a large number of them) should be stronger than their counterparts in other nations.
    Why not, as long as they are expensive enough.

cuz if the swiss were known for one thing back then, its that they could be relied upon, no mercenaries were higher valued then the swiss in the early modern age. the opposite of swiss merc (loyal, headstrong, never relenting,...) was the german merc (disloyal, rape, murder, theft, more rape, more murder and more theft...). i think this should be shown in the swiss as a faction. (and perhaps to with the germans... at least there merc's )
    Would be cool to have this in the game fluff-wise, but I doubt something like that can be implemented. BTW: I think your impression of the german merc is a little bit one-sided: AFAIK, everytime they raped, murdered, stole, mutinied, ... it was because they didn't get paid, were starving, ... It's only that happened all the time, because the german dukes, emperors... thought the could wage war without money!

true true, but military historians often use it as an example when referring tot the wars in those days, of course its a bit simplified but the fact remains that swiss were known to be extremely loyal merc's , and very strong as well
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Swiss could have sllightly higher morale than landsknechts.

they certainly should, and by that i don't mean all their units have to be stronger, for example their regular militia doesn't need to be, but swiss pikemen then again should definitely be stronger, both regular and merc
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

you should call it schweizer eidgenossenschaft because the other lanuages werent part of switzerland at this time!! the swiss at this time was just speaking swissgerman not french or italian

Quote Originally Posted by toopers View Post
    you should call it schweizer eidgenossenschaft because the other lanuages werent part of switzerland at this time!! the swiss at this time was just speaking swissgerman not french or italian
    That's even better. I like 'Schweizer(ische) Eidgenossenschaft' for that little bit of extra 'flavor'.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast