Thread: I miss the general's camera option from earlier Total War games.

SlartyBartfast's Avatar Decanus

Default I miss the general's camera option from earlier Total War games.

I used to play RTW and MTW2 in nothing but general's camera mode. I also restricted myself to not raising the height of the camera, so basically staying at the lowest height which was just behind the general's head. It was by far the most fun I had in Total War and I really miss the feature. It's such a shame in every title ever since, each of which has incredible graphics and animations, that the only viable way to play the game is zoomed out so far that all the amazingly designed characters may as well be 2D pixels, and the battlefield may as well be little flags moving around. It's like controlling the battle from a helicopter.
    Riding into battle right behind your general was such a rush. It meant you had to choose your ground very carefully, so that preferably you could stand on a hill at the centre of your line and command your troops who are all in your vision. But often you have to make do with non-ideal ground, which leaves you racing back and forth along the lines to give orders. To be an effective general, it's imperative that you are mounted on a fast and fit but tough horse! It's terrifying when you find yourself isolated, knowing that if your general dies you have lost control of your army and must hand it over to the AI -- and so disheartening when you see your general cartwheel head over heel after his horse takes a spear in a charge. And what a rush being down in the middle of the maelstrom of battle, the noise, the blood, the frightened, panting men. And you become expert at spotting the fulcrum on which the battle will swing, the perfect moment to unleash your best troops. And you the general usually become the most effective unit on the map, smashing through gaps and into the flank to send the wretched enemy fleeing and then running the godless heathen down on the point of your sword.
    Sigh. I really miss this feature; it's a crying shame it's gone.
    "Huh?"

Default Re: I miss the general's camera option from earlier Total War games.

Hi Slarty, your post brought back so many memories. I hope they bring this feature back someday.

I also have the same thoughts as you. It's a shame that this feature is no longer available. Zooming out all the way on the characters to get a panoramic view sometimes makes me feel quite inconvenient

Quote Originally Posted by tdogcurvyt View Post
    I also have the same thoughts as you. It's a shame that this feature is no longer available. Zooming out all the way on the characters to get a panoramic view sometimes makes me feel quite inconvenient mario games
    But for some reason, I always have a feeling this feature will return. Or maybe it's just a bit of an illusion on my part because of my memory of this feature.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I lost count how many times I got my butt handed to me when I started using that option. After all it's the only handicap that actually has an impact.