Thread: USA mass shootings and gun violence - Kansas shooting

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default USA mass shootings and gun violence - Kansas shooting

Yet another example of senseless violence, this time in Kansas. Someone opened fire during a victory parade, killing one and wounding 22 persons. Officials at the time believe the shooting was not terrorism but they will know more after investigation.

Some people claim that guns don't kill people, but people kill people. Well, killing people is much easier with assault rifles! You don't need an assault rifle for self defense, a pistol would do fine.
    Kansas according to the article has had a record of homicides in 2023 and it seems gun violence there goes strong.
    I think it is time for city officials to start aligning closer to the rest of the world and start curtailing the ownership of big guns at least.

UPDATE: According to police, a dispute between several armed people led to that horrible shooting.
    Apparently, several people went armed to watch a victory parade for the city. And they got in a gun fight. Wild West style.
    Last edited by alhoon; February 15, 2024 at 11:49 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: USA mass shootings and gun violence - Kansas shooting

I am surprised these mass shootings still make headlines, given their frequency and the resistance when it comes to do something about freely available assault rifles. But then members of congress were wearing badges of them as signs of allegiance to the gun industry not that long ago. Didn't they want to make that weapon the 'national' weapon or some stupid stunt like that?
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 15, 2024 at 07:22 AM.

As long as Republicans have the audacity to keep laws outlawing keeping of proper records of gun ownership any discussion on gun violence in USA is moot.
    The Armenian Issue

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Some people claim that guns don't kill people, but people kill people. Well, killing people is much easier with assault rifles! You don't need an assault rifle for self defense, a pistol would do fine.
    Kansas according to the article has had a record of homicides in 2023 and it seems gun violence there goes strong.
    I think it is time for city officials to start aligning closer to the rest of the world and start curtailing the ownership of big guns at least.
    From the article:
    She said firearms had been recovered, but not what kind.
    It is highly likely that pistols were used in this shooting.

Single person with pistols cannot shoot as many people before brought down. Even the range is an issue; pistols can't effectively go through trash cans and other soft cover to do serious injury at 100 yards.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    From the article:

It is highly likely that pistols were used in this shooting.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-ci...111425057.html

Considering it was 5+ people shooting at each over a disagreement yes, I am inclined to think this was a random wild-west moment of the 21st century. A bunch of people got in a disagreement and because USA is USA, several of them were lethally armed. So, what would have been a fist fight, turned to a gunfight with 23 victims, 1 of the victims dead.
    Why so many people thought they had to bring their guns on a victory parade of their team is beyond me.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people... using guns. This could have been avoided if there were more strict gun laws, like "you won't have a gun out of your house." or "To get a gun you need a psychiatric evaluation that you will not start shooting fans that disagree with you."

I am just glad I didn't bring my unpopular opinions about games people love to anyone in USA. I could have been shot.
    I have mentioned in the past that a great lot of Americans (not all, but not few either) are violent people that would shoot to kill in road rage accidents or, apparently, during a victory parade.

Praeses

Looks like the corporations own the government, and you can't get in the way of profits.

It's the same in my country, the coal lobby owns several parties and anyone touching their profits gets BTFO.