Thread: F! ASUS

Default F! ASUS

Hate posting on my phone (and hasn't been working). ASUS gave me bad tech support so my PC will no longer work, now they want me to pay for it to be disassembled, they'll pay the $10 for shipping of the motherboard because it's under warranty, (could also be the GPU died) then have me pay to have it reassembled. Told them if that's the case I'll see them in small claims court.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: F! ASUS

These things are tricky, no doubt there are loopholes to declare it was actually your responsibility all along, the tech didn't matter especially if they didn't touch it and also they have more millions to toss around than you do. It's a damn shame but this is why 'authorized' tech support to me is synonymous with 'well marketed' which in no way corresponds with 'good'. In fact it's the quiet techs on the side who seem to give it most straight and finding a pocket technician or just a reliable extra set of eyes is best for many things in the long run. Perhaps it's not too late to take it to a non turd local business who can figure it out?...
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

My BIOS wasn't loading but computer still worked. They told me on three separate tech support sessions to connect to prongs in the bottom right of the MB to ground it out. They didn't inform me that something bad might happen so I tried it after the third session, despite my hesitation. They didn't suggest taking it to a technician.

Told me on Friday someone would contact me in 24-48 business hours, after a lot of complaining they finally called me today. Told them I wanted to take it to a tech because it might not be a faulty MB and if so, sending in my MB would be a waste of money and time. They told me that they're escalating the situation so they can have one of their techs come look at it.

My backup hard drive crashed in July (the model's 2nd failure on me). I'm screwed if my SSD failed now. They didn't answer my question what they'd do if their support damaged another component. So angry unfortunately taking it out on people I shouldn't. Will most likely sell the replacement or give to my step nephews and get a better MB so I can upgrade my CPU when I have the cash. Heard the AMD 7800X is probably the best bang for your buck on the market for gaming and is very comprable to the 7950X.

Hmm, last post with links I'm looking at didn't go through. Looking for something white with wifi 6, multiple M.2 slots, DDR5, and PCI 5.0. I don't want to, but the one i like the most is from ASUS. Don't know if I'll be able to use my AMD 5950 with it though. Can someone tell me if I can? Thanks.

Disassembled my PC today and sent in the MB. Have a feeling ASUS isn't going to honor their warranty. Just really impatient to find if their tech support ruined my SSD. Have a lot of stuff I didn't put on the backup to my backup HD.

Damn... for being a site devoted to computer games there's surprisingly little action in this room. Mostly just me yelling into an empty void.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; October 18, 2023 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Well, I am getting a replacement MB. Really thought they were gong to deny they damaged it so they wouldn't have to replace it.

Not looking forward to rebuilding it, even though I took pictures before disassembling it. Other than $$$, I saw that my AMD 5950 is astill better then most of their new chips. So just I'll just save up, and get a flame thrower (mine if right now) in a couple years. Most of my games aren't very graphic intensive so my 3080 RTX.
    Biggest problem now is mostly the pins on the bottom tl right, also no guaranteed something else also "broke".

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

These are quiet times unfortunately, but you know at least one person stops by :p

Rebuilding sounds like a PITA, good luck. I have to take apart a laptop soon I left an errant screw in that was shady enough the first time.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I am surprised they told you to mess around with your machine. I have run a lot computers into the ground in the last 40 years but never had tech support ask me to lay hands on myself. But I have to say that I always buy branded machines, the thought of having to deal with half a dozen representatives for all the components in my machine if I assemble myself simply gives me the creeps.

And yes, it's an ASUS. Recently managed to destroy the processor and support could only establish that by taking the machine to their workshop after replacing the motherboard and power supply (on site) didn't do the trick.

Thanks for not letting me scream into the empty void alone.

Got the MB back and they said it's good. Spent like 5 hours putting it back together, then I turned it on and... nothing happened. So it looks like they broke something else. Possibly the GPU because its fans start spinning then stop. It's a Zotac GeForce RTX 3080. Have to take them to small claims court now because they're refusing to do anything else, even though I was able to log into Windows before tech support ruined it. Don't know what I'll be asking for exactly because I'll include my own time spent working on it and the huge inconvenience of going a month+ long without a computer, plus having to constantly worry the whole time if it's the SSD and all my files on it that died. Will probably have to pay out of pocket to see what the problem is. Anxiety isn't fun, neither is having no gaming PC. The local library is filled with horrible smelling bums that won't shut up.

How much do you guys think I should go ask for by making me go through all this stress?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

When my processor packed up the symptoms where a repeating start and stop cycle (maybe 1-2 seconds) until eventually there was no response at all.

In your course simply removing the GPU (I am not an expert and am assuming it's a card, not onboard) should show if it causes the issue as it would switch to onboard.

Okay, thought it didn't have an integrated graphics unit, but while rebuilding it saw that it was an AMD 5950x which has an integrated GU. While moving discovered I have an extra GPU, so might give that a try. Just hate having to disassembled everything again. Think I can just take out the 3080 and use its cords for the 2nd GPU?

Upon closer inspection I have 2 extra graphics cards, one a singled fan ASUS, the other a Gigabyte with two fans. Doesn't tell me the specific model numbers, or I'm just too tired and hungry to find out. Neither appear to.have inputs on them other than the PCI slot, so can probably just disconnect the big cable that's located center right and insert the different GPUs. If I fix it myself they're definitely going to try and weasel out of paying for a replacement.

Update: Used a HDMI cable on the GPU's port and was able to load the BIOS. Looks like they killed my display ports. I have 3 on my GPU.

EDIT: Trying to come up with a fair recompensation for destroying my 3080. Factoring my time having to work on it, time without a computer (essentially "renting" it to ASUS), having to lug around my backup's backup to the library caused it to die losing files, and "emotional damages".
    Last edited by NorthernXY; October 31, 2023 at 10:14 PM.

Any tips on how to serve papers to ASUS?

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If we're into serving papers (and this also applies re: how much to ask for above and the nature of damages) I'd get a professional on your deck. It ain't cheap but if you're getting serious you're in the domain of a lawyer, and TWC is no longer best suited to advise as, with limited exceptions and I doubt they'd appear in this thread, we are not lawyers. Going that way ensures you'll do it right, any business with a big company will probably roll right over someone spitting in the wind without a rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    If we're into serving papers (and this also applies re: how much to ask for above and the nature of damages) I'd get a professional on your deck. It ain't cheap but if you're getting serious you're in the domain of a lawyer, and TWC is no longer best suited to advise as, with limited exceptions and I doubt they'd appear in this thread, we are not lawyers. Going that way ensures you'll do it right, any business with a big company will probably roll right over someone spitting in the wind without a rep.
    Thanks. Asked for the chat transcripts, but they did a 180, and are now refusing to give them to me. F ASUS!!!

EDIT: Guess I'll have to factor in the cost of a layer in the damages awarded.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; November 02, 2023 at 03:36 PM.

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

This thread is seriously alarming for me. I was planning to buy a 7800x3d cpu with an ASUS motherboard. Specifically the ASUS TUF Gaming B650-PLUS WiFi mobo.ive heard stories of ASUS motherboards causing 7000 series cpus to explode or something. I PMed Freddie about this so hopefully he will reply back to me soon.