Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 vs. Remastered features FINAL comparison

Default Rome 2 vs. Remastered features FINAL comparison

Hello guys,
    Through time I manage to do a list with the initial Rome 1 features which were not present on Rome 2 initial release. Now we can say it's almost full finished with such number of patches and with such merveillous mods (Rome 2 I mean). So, I'll put bellow that list and huys, let's delete those who were fixed with the last release and/or mods. Like 1 example: population system, which wasn't in Rome 2 release but present in Rome 1. So, let's go and waiting for your opinions:

-taxation controls for every individual province

-roads of differing sizes and qualities were build-able on the campaign map (after all, what the real Rome was famous for)

-trade happened between settlements within a faction as well as between factions, this internal trade giving the map a more 'living' feel as your empire's commerce circulated

-unique faction intro videos

-city view for every settlement

-new engine for the game

-a range boost for missile troops on high ground (R2 has damage boost instead)

-fire at will for all units with missiles, including legionaries

-guard mode and loose formation for all units

-set capital

-family tree and set heir

-permanent forts that looked like a fort on the campaign map, not a ring of spikes

-watchtowers

-towns rioted a few turns before rebellions or revolts, and rebels would be unhappy citizens, not just slaves

-some of the wounded on the winner's side recovering immediately after each battle, and casualties could be dead or wounded, not just always dead

-formations were more cohesive, though patches have brought Rome 2 close

-% of each side that were dead displayed by hovering over the balance of power bar

-diplomatic options: give region, map information, attack faction, threatening diplomacy (accept or we will attack)

-you could set the exact amount of money offered or demanded in a diplomatic transaction

-all buildings constructed shown on the battle map

-building sites on the battle maps of towns in the process of constructing something

-senate missions, with rewards including money, gladiator games or races, public offices, senate standing, naval and land units

-politics had more of an impact on the campaign (in my experience you can ignore Rome 2 politics with no adverse effects)

-contextual and lengthy pre-battle speeches

-characters last long enough to become useful before they die

-immersive deep traits system with unlimited traits to give detailed characters, all traits came from experience not rpg-levelling

-nicknames 'the brave', 'the mad', 'the great' etc.

-more variation in portraits: it was very unlikely you would have two generals with the same face, even though you would have many more generals

-character portraits aged and there were traits to do with age

-more building freedom, with the ability to construct as many buildings as you liked in towns (up to about 30) and not limited to 5 in Rome itself, or 3 or 4 in minor settlements

-normal buildings such as markets that would have been easily and regularly constructed don't require R2's protracted research research, so you are less constricted in your building options

-more period-inspired HUD (not gonna get involved in the row over the unit/building cards though)

-historical event messages, and historically timed natural disasters

-plagues that made sense (from squalid places) and that occurred more often to liven the campaign map up as did all natural disasters

-more detailed breakdown of income with lots more factors in income per settlement

-more trade resources, multiple trade resources per region

-graphs displaying progress of all factions in general terms as well as financial, military, territory, population and production.

-more detailed breakdown of public order with more factors for both positive and negative

-all three of the post invasion options gave tangible benefits, as opposed to occupy being the only viable option in R2: slaughter gave public order as they were terrified of you and instant money; but destroyed the population size, occupy gave a large population but had potential public order problems, enslave provided long-term money and trade resources so was kind of a half-way house

-no crippling attrition when besieging (subjective whether this is a good thing or not, but encouraged you to build lots of siege engines for epic battles)

-casualties actually mattered as you couldn't just stand in your territory for a turn or two to replenish them for free (and replenishment is much faster now than in NTW or S2 - this one is up for debate as to whether it is a good thing, but it is a fact that you couldn't heal your armies as quickly or at no cost in Rome 1)

-unit experience decreased when fresh recruits were used to refill it, making casualties matter even more

-retrain was available in every town with the relevant barracks

-If units are completely surrounded with no hope of escape, they fight to the death and cannot rout

-music composed by Jeff van Dyck (matter of opinion as to whether he is better, but he did win awards, including a Bafta)

-music that reacts quickly and dramatically to events on the battlefield for immersion and 'hollywood' drama, as opposed to sometimes imperceptibly changing track on the OST

-tunnelling under town walls to bring them down (sap points)

-wall sizes were not automatically changed with settlement sizes: they were built independently, so large cities could have meagre defences, and smaller ones (if maxed out) could get decent ones e.g. stone walls. This led to more diversity and different challenges between cities

-religion (especially in Barbarian Invasion)

-all buildings in towns were flammable, and those destroyed had to be repaired on the campaign map

-much easier unit merging (click and drag) to refill units, balance casualties or balance experience

-slower paced battles (though patches have made this much better than at R2 release)

-general can be seen ordering the units about with every command you give: signalling with his sword for movements and rearing up to order a charge. Rallying also caused him to rear his horse. (In R2 he only signals when moving his own unit, and then only sometimes)

-no limits on armies

-military forces not glued to generals, and captains could be promoted from the ranks to become generals if they served well

-not broken up into piecemeal dlc

-pirates as actual naval forces that can be fought not percentage penalties on income (an Illyrian pirate queen is one of the R2 loading screens, and fighting pirates was the main occupation of the Roman navy - where are the pirates?)

-no automatic transports, so navies more useful

-pikemen that use their pikes, in R2 the AI generally uses its pikemen as swordsmen (though gradually improving with patches)

-bigger bonuses from traits and retainers ( unlike '5% better melee attack')

-needed siege weapons for town assaults, gates couldn't be burned down by infantry, bigger walls required better siege engines, ladders had to be constructed

-the abilities could have come come from training e.g. formations and attacks, they were not magical stat boosts like +10% attack or remove all fatigue

-more land battles (as opposed to settlement battles)

-civil war actually against the other families not generic 'senate loyalists', especially inappropriate if the player wants to preserve the republic

-ongoing cutscene to show senators' reaction to you

-brigands appeared on the map on rich trade routes

-scorched earth from armies in hostile territory, devastation shown on map and had public order and income consequences

-primary and secondary weapons for cavalry

-units stayed closer together when routing, not turning into weird massive long single-file lines, and chasing routing units was not a micromanagement-fest

-banners stayed above routing units so you could track them down and see their numbers and the factors affecting them, routing enemies were also shown on the minimap ('radar map'), so didn't require the chore of searching the battle map and examining the landscape to find them

-it was much harder to 'shatter' units (rout but terrify them so much they cannot be rallied)

-battle damage e.g. to walls had to be repaired afterwards on the campaign map, or it would remain in future battles

-marginally bigger units: infantry 160 standard/240 largest, missile 160, cavalry 108 compared to R2's infantry 160 standard/200 largest, missile 120, cavalry 80

-full page displays when needed (settlement details, diplomacy) and not obstructive when not needed (R2's massive tall empty unit cards box)

-population (and the ability to do migration tactics by recruiting units and disbanding them elsewhere)

-a more dynamic base for modding: it will be much harder to change core game mechanics with R2

-units could disengage without massive casualties or men 'locked into' time-consuming combat animations that ensured they would be caught and killed

-a video showing you the death of the general on either side, and a video showing wall and gate breaches

-more spaced units so you can see the fighting

-lots of (orangey-yellow) torches carried by troops in night battles to provide light, not one weird bright white spotlight on the unit commander like in R2

-smoke trail behind torches and more visible one behind fire arrows

-horses try to leap over spears and shields when charging

-artillery is (realistically) less accurate

-there are 10 historical battles, compared to the 4 in R2, 3 of those 4 have you playing as the Romans (+1 more historical battle with DLC. You play as Rome.)

-more populated cities have related problems, like squalor, and related benefits, like a large recruitment pool, unlike R2 where settlement size and squalor are not linked, only specific buildings

-elephants have more animations and throw men into the air with tusks and trunk

-mounted units have more impact, and units look like they have more weight: the men sent flying from cavalry charges flail like men, rather than flying 10 feet like a paper doll

-there is more room for tactics: usually you can manoeuvre with infantry and skirmishers and deploy cavalry in flanking attacks, and battles progress in stages. In R2, once one line breaks somewhere, the whole battle line routs quickly and there is little room for tactics (admittedly this one is quite subjective, feel free to dispute if this is not your experience)

-agents have more distinct roles, less crossover between them (possibly more intuitive but again, that is opinion, not fact)

-you have the option of a short campaign as any faction which is less of a long-term commitment, and can be completed in a few hours, or 1-2 days. Thus Rome 1 also catered to the casual gamer, addressing more directly than R2 both the casual and the hardcore player

-videos for capturing a wonder

-much less distorted map projection

-distance to capital

-map areas: sahara desert, tip of Sweden, modern day Belarus, Lithuania and Latvia, more of modern-day Ukraine and Russia

-you could zoom out much further on the campaign map

-fertility varying between regions, and the ability to get a good or bad harvest instead of a set income

-the year and faction displayed when loading a campaign

-cities with more than one culture's buildings in them

-units visibly pushed siege engines to the walls, as opposed to just walking behind them while they magically move forwards

-save battle replay saved exactly what happened (patches are improving this, but it is not yet fully fixed in Rome 2)

-culture-specific advisers

-culture-specific music

-campaign map animations for natural disasters: volcanoes erupted, floodwater could be seen on the map, and the ground convulsed in earthquakes

-far longer unit and building descriptions, with historical information

-you could have multiple generals within one army

-trade to every settlement, not just the capital, isolated settlements could still trade

-disciplined troops such as Romans would form columns, stepping aside to allow other units to move or rout through them, so the cohesion of your formation was not disrupted when this unit crossover happened

As a little aside, I'd also like to remind you of the things that have been removed that were in Medieval 2:

-agent videos

-armour cleanness deteriorated over the course of a battle, troops did not start out filthy

-armour and weapon upgrades visibly changed the appearance of units' equipment

-prisoner count displayed on in-battle HUD, not just victory screen

-diplomatic options e.g. marriages

-recruitment cool-down, limited pool of units to recruit from, as though reflecting a trained reserve

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Rome 2 vs. Remastered features FINAL comparison

I think there's a number of Med2 features that not present in the Warscape engine that make the game different. One that is important for me: you can take units out of your army. In Med2 I do it very often to adjust the number I fight a battle with so that each battle is a challenge, and is different. In Rome2 you've got almost always 20 units versus 20 untis (or 40 against 20 etc.). In Med2/RTW you have often battles with different numbers of units.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good idea for a thread, it's interesting to compare the features of the two games.

Yes, the greater connection between the campaign map in Rome Total War is great - such as, as you said, seeing buildings you constructed on the battle map, and needing to repair them if they are destroyed in battle. The development of characters, in response to events in the game, is a really nice feature of Rome TW too. The historical battles in Rome II are disappointing, not only because of the number of them, but also because they have become unbalanced after the game's many patches.

As you said, different people's experiences vary. In my experience, there's plenty of room for tactics in Rome II battles, as the YouTube videos of players such as Maximus Decimus Meridius and Heir of Carthage demonstrate. They play multiplayer battles, and I play singleplayer campaigns, but I use tactics that I learned from watching the battles that they comment on, and they work well.

I'm wondering which version of Rome II you're comparing Rome Remastered to. For example, Rome II has had guard mode, diplomatic marriages and a family tree for some time.

When a rival family breaks away in Rome II, it's true that if you play as Rome, a break-away faction can be 'Senate Loyalists'. However, a named rival family will have broken away and (as Welsh Dragon and I showed in an article on politics and the family tree in Rome II) you can see the reasons why they're likely to rebel on the politics screen, befoe the secession happens. You can take political actions to reduce the risk, such as giving a rival family member command of an army, winning battles with them, promoting them, attaching a dignitary to the army with the Advisor skill and marrying the general to a member of your ruling family.

You can ignore politics in Rome II and sometimes you can get away with it. I played a test campaign as Egypt in which I ignored politics, to see what would happen. I didn't suffer a lot of civil wars (which was what I expected), but I had a much smaller selection of characters to choose from, when appointing generals and admirals, and they were of poorer quality than the characters I can appoint usually - so in my experience there is a downside to ignoring politics in Rome II. The occasional thread (in the Rome II Steam forum) by a player complaining that civil wars keep happening suggests that there can be an additional downside in some campaigns.

Does vanilla Rome Remastered have civil wars for all factions? I remember civil wars for Rome in Rome Total War, but not for other factions.

Will you also list features which Rome II has and Rome Remastered doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good idea for a thread, it's interesting to compare the features of the two games.
    My point is to make audience to DELETE those features of the actual heavily patched and moded R2 which were FIXED from the list of R1 showed above.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

The title is mistakable, as it sounds you want to compare Rome II and Rome I Remastered, not Rome II at Release and Rome II now after 20 patches.

I think you wanted the latter.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    The title is mistakable, as it sounds you want to compare Rome II and Rome I Remastered, not Rome II at Release and Rome II now after 20 patches.

I think you wanted the latter.
    True... Since I haven't played Rome II for more than a year I will compare the early versions of Rome II vs Rome Remastered or better the visual evolution of Rome I to be honest.
    Forgive me if in may features that i compare as ones or RR are onlt in RTW1 because my 16years old PC can not play RR.
    • Rome II Much better graphics despite the fact that RR can extend up to 4k that the game does not use in it models from the pictures I have seen.
    • RomeI Much better Siege AI. Better CAI and simpliest but most realistic diplomacy.
    • RomeII Much better politics and intriques .
    • Rome I realistic population degrease when units are recruited (a feature that unfirthunatly disapoeared from all future TW games).
    • Rome II Naval Battles .
    • RomeI Better and more in variety urban centers with great buildings and without number restriction.
    • Rome II Realistic battle view (hills can actually hide units) .
    • Rome I 98% MODABLE form units to cities and maps!

If those two Rome TW game combined their unique or better features Rome II WOULD BE th eultimate game.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Rome I realistic population degrease when units are recruited (a feature that unfirthunatly disapoeared from all future TW games)
    But has been modded in Rome II: Steam Workshop:eople of Rome 2 (P++) (steamcommunity.com)

Its working and i have overhauled it a bit for my mod overhaul.

-religion (especially in Barbarian Invasion)
    Its implemented with Empire Divided, but even before you could add new cultures (basically religions as they have different temples with different effects - i have added in my overhaul a indian and a baltic one).

But has been modded in Rome II: Steam Workshop:eople of Rome 2 (P++) (steamcommunity.com)

Its working and i have overhauled it a bit for my mod overhaul.
    Its implemented with Empire Divided, but even before you could add new cultures (basically religions as they have different temples with different effects - i have added in my overhaul a indian and a baltic one).
    I thought we were talking about vanilla versions of the games. Anyway.... I wouldn't use the term overhaul in games like Rome II , Attila and newer ones since map and other features can not be modded.
    If we would talk about mods does Rome II HAS war prisoners exchnage when a war between 2 states finish?
    See? Mods must nit define a game... On the other hand the abillity to mod a game in as bigger extent as possible should be in its possitive points. MAKING hundreds of new units and shield paterns does not forfill the term overhaul for a mod.
    A real overhaul mod is M2TW/Kingdoms mod Third Age Total War that 99% of the game has been changed! Are such mods for Rome II? If yes I would like to test them and enjoy them.
    New maps
    New city strat_map models
    New provinces
    More building slots
    Entirely new Siege AI
    New dipomacy AI
    All in one mod ...only then this mod can have the title overhual.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; September 19, 2022 at 10:21 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Honestly i don't care, what in your opinion an overhaul is.

A mod, which makes all GC factions playable and gives them a family tree, new characters, new cultures like indian or baltic, new building chains and so on and so on like mine is an overhaul.

Period.

You should really inform yourself about the variety of Rome II mods, before you want to participate in this discussion and i will not burden myself longer with your baseless claims and rants.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; September 20, 2022 at 01:59 AM.

Honestly i don't care, what in your opinion an overhaul is. A mod, which makes all GC factions playable and gives them a family tree, new characters, new cultures like indian or baltic, new building chains and so on and so on like mine is an overhaul. Period. You should really inform yourself about the variety of Rome II mods, before you want to participate in this discussion and i will not burden myself longer with your baseless claims and rants.
    Absolutely agree with that. Also, I don't see why peoples can't understand my demands to simply DELETE from my first list what features present in Rome 1 were 'FIXED' in actual R2+mods; as you mentioned, for example, population was way earlier introduced in R2 by mods. Or, if that is 'very hard to do', just simply VICEVERSA: mention what features present in R1 were NOT 'FIXED' till actual day by R2+ mods. I made that thread to help many players to better understand what is one and what is another from START, not learning that when playing. Ciao.

-taxation controls for every individual province

-roads of differing sizes and qualities were build-able on the campaign map (after all, what the real Rome was famous for)

-trade happened between settlements within a faction as well as between factions, this internal trade giving the map a more 'living' feel as your empire's commerce circulated

-unique faction intro videos

-city view for every settlement

-new engine for the game

-a range boost for missile troops on high ground (R2 has damage boost instead)

-fire at will for all units with missiles, including legionaries

-guard mode and loose formation for all units

-set capital in ED and move capital mod

-family tree and set heir

-permanent forts that looked like a fort on the campaign map, not a ring of spikes

-watchtowers

-towns rioted a few turns before rebellions or revolts, and rebels would be unhappy citizens, not just slaves

-some of the wounded on the winner's side recovering immediately after each battle, and casualties could be dead or wounded, not just always dead

-formations were more cohesive, though patches have brought Rome 2 close

-% of each side that were dead displayed by hovering over the balance of power bar

-diplomatic options: give region, map information, attack faction, threatening diplomacy (accept or we will attack)

-you could set the exact amount of money offered or demanded in a diplomatic transaction

-all buildings constructed shown on the battle map

-building sites on the battle maps of towns in the process of constructing something

-senate missions, with rewards including money, gladiator games or races, public offices, senate standing, naval and land units

-politics had more of an impact on the campaign (in my experience you can ignore Rome 2 politics with no adverse effects)
    -contextual and lengthy pre-battle speeches

-characters last long enough to become useful before they die

-immersive deep traits system with unlimited traits to give detailed characters, all traits came from experience not rpg-levelling

-nicknames 'the brave', 'the mad', 'the great' etc.

-more variation in portraits: it was very unlikely you would have two generals with the same face, even though you would have many more generals

-character portraits aged and there were traits to do with age AAA-Mod by Benjin: AAA: Aging, Advancing, Acclimatising (twcenter.net)

-more building freedom, with the ability to construct as many buildings as you liked in towns (up to about 30) and not limited to 5 in Rome itself, or 3 or 4 in minor settlements

-normal buildings such as markets that would have been easily and regularly constructed don't require R2's protracted research research, so you are less constricted in your building options

-more period-inspired HUD (not gonna get involved in the row over the unit/building cards though)

-historical event messages, and historically timed natural disasters

-plagues that made sense (from squalid places) and that occurred more often to liven the campaign map up as did all natural disasters

-more detailed breakdown of income with lots more factors in income per settlement

-more trade resources, multiple trade resources per region

-graphs displaying progress of all factions in general terms as well as financial, military, territory, population and production.

-more detailed breakdown of public order with more factors for both positive and negative

-all three of the post invasion options gave tangible benefits, as opposed to occupy being the only viable option in R2: slaughter gave public order as they were terrified of you and instant money; but destroyed the population size, occupy gave a large population but had potential public order problems, enslave provided long-term money and trade resources so was kind of a half-way house

-no crippling attrition when besieging (subjective whether this is a good thing or not, but encouraged you to build lots of siege engines for epic battles)

-casualties actually mattered as you couldn't just stand in your territory for a turn or two to replenish them for free (and replenishment is much faster now than in NTW or S2 - this one is up for debate as to whether it is a good thing, but it is a fact that you couldn't heal your armies as quickly or at no cost in Rome 1)

-unit experience decreased when fresh recruits were used to refill it, making casualties matter even more

-retrain was available in every town with the relevant barracks

-If units are completely surrounded with no hope of escape, they fight to the death and cannot rout

-music composed by Jeff van Dyck (matter of opinion as to whether he is better, but he did win awards, including a Bafta)

-music that reacts quickly and dramatically to events on the battlefield for immersion and 'hollywood' drama, as opposed to sometimes imperceptibly changing track on the OST

-tunnelling under town walls to bring them down (sap points)

-wall sizes were not automatically changed with settlement sizes: they were built independently, so large cities could have meagre defences, and smaller ones (if maxed out) could get decent ones e.g. stone walls. This led to more diversity and different challenges between cities

-religion (especially in Barbarian Invasion) -> ED

-all buildings in towns were flammable, and those destroyed had to be repaired on the campaign map

-much easier unit merging (click and drag) to refill units, balance casualties or balance experience

-slower paced battles (though patches have made this much better than at R2 release)

-general can be seen ordering the units about with every command you give: signalling with his sword for movements and rearing up to order a charge. Rallying also caused him to rear his horse. (In R2 he only signals when moving his own unit, and then only sometimes)

-no limits on armies

-military forces not glued to generals, and captains could be promoted from the ranks to become generals if they served well

-not broken up into piecemeal dlc

-pirates as actual naval forces that can be fought not percentage penalties on income (an Illyrian pirate queen is one of the R2 loading screens, and fighting pirates was the main occupation of the Roman navy - where are the pirates?) -> Pirate mod by Boicote

-no automatic transports, so navies more useful

-pikemen that use their pikes, in R2 the AI generally uses its pikemen as swordsmen (though gradually improving with patches)

-bigger bonuses from traits and retainers ( unlike '5% better melee attack')

-needed siege weapons for town assaults, gates couldn't be burned down by infantry, bigger walls required better siege engines, ladders had to be constructed

-the abilities could have come come from training e.g. formations and attacks, they were not magical stat boosts like +10% attack or remove all fatigue

-more land battles (as opposed to settlement battles)

-civil war actually against the other families not generic 'senate loyalists', especially inappropriate if the player wants to preserve the republic

-ongoing cutscene to show senators' reaction to you

-brigands appeared on the map on rich trade routes

-scorched earth from armies in hostile territory, devastation shown on map and had public order and income consequences

-primary and secondary weapons for cavalry

-units stayed closer together when routing, not turning into weird massive long single-file lines, and chasing routing units was not a micromanagement-fest

-banners stayed above routing units so you could track them down and see their numbers and the factors affecting them, routing enemies were also shown on the minimap ('radar map'), so didn't require the chore of searching the battle map and examining the landscape to find them

-it was much harder to 'shatter' units (rout but terrify them so much they cannot be rallied)

-battle damage e.g. to walls had to be repaired afterwards on the campaign map, or it would remain in future battles

-marginally bigger units: infantry 160 standard/240 largest, missile 160, cavalry 108 compared to R2's infantry 160 standard/200 largest, missile 120, cavalry 80

-full page displays when needed (settlement details, diplomacy) and not obstructive when not needed (R2's massive tall empty unit cards box)

-population (and the ability to do migration tactics by recruiting units and disbanding them elsewhere)

-a more dynamic base for modding: it will be much harder to change core game mechanics with R2

-units could disengage without massive casualties or men 'locked into' time-consuming combat animations that ensured they would be caught and killed

-a video showing you the death of the general on either side, and a video showing wall and gate breaches

-more spaced units so you can see the fighting

-lots of (orangey-yellow) torches carried by troops in night battles to provide light, not one weird bright white spotlight on the unit commander like in R2

-smoke trail behind torches and more visible one behind fire arrows

-horses try to leap over spears and shields when charging

-artillery is (realistically) less accurate

-there are 10 historical battles, compared to the 4 in R2, 3 of those 4 have you playing as the Romans (+1 more historical battle with DLC. You play as Rome.)

-more populated cities have related problems, like squalor, and related benefits, like a large recruitment pool, unlike R2 where settlement size and squalor are not linked, only specific buildings

-elephants have more animations and throw men into the air with tusks and trunk

-mounted units have more impact, and units look like they have more weight: the men sent flying from cavalry charges flail like men, rather than flying 10 feet like a paper doll

-there is more room for tactics: usually you can manoeuvre with infantry and skirmishers and deploy cavalry in flanking attacks, and battles progress in stages. In R2, once one line breaks somewhere, the whole battle line routs quickly and there is little room for tactics (admittedly this one is quite subjective, feel free to dispute if this is not your experience)

-agents have more distinct roles, less crossover between them (possibly more intuitive but again, that is opinion, not fact)

-you have the option of a short campaign as any faction which is less of a long-term commitment, and can be completed in a few hours, or 1-2 days. Thus Rome 1 also catered to the casual gamer, addressing more directly than R2 both the casual and the hardcore player

-videos for capturing a wonder

-much less distorted map projection

-distance to capital

-map areas: sahara desert, tip of Sweden, modern day Belarus, Lithuania and Latvia, more of modern-day Ukraine and Russia

-you could zoom out much further on the campaign map

-fertility varying between regions, and the ability to get a good or bad harvest instead of a set income

-the year and faction displayed when loading a campaign

-cities with more than one culture's buildings in them

-units visibly pushed siege engines to the walls, as opposed to just walking behind them while they magically move forwards

-save battle replay saved exactly what happened (patches are improving this, but it is not yet fully fixed in Rome 2)

-culture-specific advisers

-culture-specific music

-campaign map animations for natural disasters: volcanoes erupted, floodwater could be seen on the map, and the ground convulsed in earthquakes

-far longer unit and building descriptions, with historical information

-you could have multiple generals within one army

-trade to every settlement, not just the capital, isolated settlements could still trade

-disciplined troops such as Romans would form columns, stepping aside to allow other units to move or rout through them, so the cohesion of your formation was not disrupted when this unit crossover happened

As a little aside, I'd also like to remind you of the things that have been removed that were in Medieval 2:

-agent videos

-armour cleanness deteriorated over the course of a battle, troops did not start out filthy

-armour and weapon upgrades visibly changed the appearance of units' equipment

-prisoner count displayed on in-battle HUD, not just victory screen

-diplomatic options e.g. marriages

-recruitment cool-down, limited pool of units to recruit from, as though reflecting a trained reserve
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; September 21, 2022 at 04:39 AM.

Thanks you a lot. I'm sure a lot others will use that as reference. Again, many thanks.

You are welcome.

I forgot to add the mod which let your generals age:AAA: Aging, Advancing, Acclimatising (twcenter.net)

You are welcome. I forgot to add the mod which let your generals age:AAA: Aging, Advancing, Acclimatising (twcenter.net)
    Also I'm not sure if regions fertility was not fixed in some mods like Tempus Atritio or some seasons ones.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

besides gameplay tastes,
    these 2 games have 2 different engines, they might be similar but the way they work in the CA codes is really different

in my opinion and experience with both engines, the big difference lies in the fact that NON warscape games are really limited about what you can do via scripts, and scripts is the only way you can really start adding new interesting features.
    and the fact that modding warscape stuff requires much more time 'cause they are much more complex.
    ps. What you could potentially do in WH 3 is much more than rome 2, every new ca game is just potentially better than before

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    besides gameplay tastes,
    these 2 games have 2 different engines, they might be similar but the way they work in the CA codes is really different

in my opinion and experience with both engines, the big difference lies in the fact that NON warscape games are really limited about what you can do via scripts, and scripts is the only way you can really start adding new interesting features.
    and the fact that modding warscape stuff requires much more time 'cause they are much more complex.
    ps. What you could potentially do in WH 3 is much more than rome 2, every new ca game is just potentially better than before
    In Shogun II there is a tool that allows the player to make his own castles and put them in game. Is there such a feature in Rome II BECAUSE i never downloaded its half made tool workshop to know from first hand.
    In Shogun II the castle strat_map model refers directly to a certain battle map one. After 20 fixes in Rome II has that issue been resolved (to have a huge strat_map city but a village in battle map)????

The battle map grows with the growing of the city in the campaign map. For example i saw this with Kyrene. But thats already a long time in the game. I play this game already 4373 hours.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

no, terry tool isn't available for rome 2, probably is the only warscape game that hasn't it by default (not sure about emp/nap and sg2 though)
    attila has terry both for battle and campaign maps ie, tob and wh3 too (this doesn't mean you can make a working campaign map, you'll need something else that should come out decently soon)

The battle map grows with the growing of the city in the campaign map. For example i saw this with Kyrene. But thats already a long time in the game. I play this game already 4373 hours.
    Ιn Rome II strat_map model is not directly conected with the battlw map one. On the map you can have a huge city but you need to go to tech tree in order to unlock biger battle map models of urban centers. In all previus games the strat_map and the battle map models of a settlement was directly conected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    no, terry tool isn't available for rome 2, probably is the only warscape game that hasn't it by default (not sure about emp/nap and sg2 though)
    attila has terry both for battle and campaign maps ie, tob and wh3 too (this doesn't mean you can make a working campaign map, you'll need something else that should come out decently soon)
    That is the weakest point of both Rome II and Attila ...You can not change the map , in Attila i have seen different battle maps like medieval castles but the issue with the connection with the strat_map model and the battle map one still remains. Not to mention the Attila Age Of Empire style wall towers!!!

The battle map grows every time the main building is upgraded to a certain level by the player or the AI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast