Thread: Crusades Not Being Called

Default Crusades Not Being Called

I did some modding about a year ago and since then I have not seen one crusade get called. I have tried everything I can think of to rectify this situation but have been unsuccessful. Here is the game error log:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.735 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <set_event_counter> at line 13900 in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.735 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 17013 in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.735 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 17026 in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.735 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <spawn_character> at line 17042 in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.747 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <console_command> at line 17043 in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.748 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <console_command>, at line 17043, in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    give_trait The_Dark_Lord NaturalPriestSkill 2
    err: character not found

22:57:36.748 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <console_command> at line 17044 in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.748 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <console_command>, at line 17044, in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    give_trait The_Dark_Lord StrongFaith 4

22:57:36.748 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <console_command> at line 17045 in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    22:57:36.748 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <console_command>, at line 17045, in mods/Third_Age_3u/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    give_trait The_Dark_Lord PriestLevel 2
    I have also ran the Bovi checker and it came up with the following two results pertaining to this issue.
    CS 17012: Character has owner faction papal_states, which does not exist.
    CS 17012: Character has unrecognized type priest for faction papal_states,.
    CS 17024: Character has owner faction papal_states, which does not exist.
    CS 17024: Character has unrecognized type priest for faction papal_states,.
    CS 17038: Character has owner faction papal_states, which does not exist.
    CS 17038: Character has unrecognized type priest for faction papal_states,.

and this a bit further down.

CS 17012: Character of faction papal_states, cannot have name checked, cannot find any names defined for that faction! Wrong faction?
    CS 17024: Character of faction papal_states, cannot have name checked, cannot find any names defined for that faction! Wrong faction?
    CS 17038: Character of faction papal_states, cannot have name checked, cannot find any names defined for that faction! Wrong faction?
    Lastly here is the portion of the campaign_script:
    ;######################### Pope Sauron
    declare_counter go_pope
    ;set_counter go_pope 1 ; set here for testing

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionType papal_states
    create_unit Sauron, Mordor Orcs Mercs, num 3, exp 6, arm 0, wep
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

;Dunedain Jihad submod: allow invasions to start early
    if I_EventCounter djs_activate_early_invasions_accepted == 1
    and I_TurnNumber == 28 ;28 = visible in player's turn 29 = game turn 30
    ; spawn_character papal_states, The_Dark_Lord, priest, age 18, x 507, y 480
    spawn_character papal_states, The_Dark_Lord, priest, age 18, x 504, y 481
    console_command give_trait The_Dark_Lord NaturalPriestSkill 2
    console_command give_trait The_Dark_Lord StrongFaith 4
    console_command give_trait The_Dark_Lord PriestLevel 2
    set_counter go_pope 1
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

;original conditions
    if I_TurnNumber >= 46
    and RandomPercent <= 8
    set_counter go_pope 1
    terminate_monitor
    end_if

end_monitor

and I_CompareCounter go_pope > 0
    and not I_CharacterExists The_Dark_Lord
    end_monitor

and Treasury > 15000
    add_money papal_states -10000
    end_monitor
    Other then coordinates this script has been unchanged for ten plus years. Any help will be most appreciated.

Default Re: Crusades Not Being Called

First of all, I would set that turn number condition to something lower like 1 to make testing easier. Secondly, I would try playing as another catholic faction (assuming the papal_faction's religion is catholic) and seeing what it says in the pope tab of the faction info scroll once this priest is supposed to have spawned. My guess it is will just show the text entry for "pope is not here right now, leave a message at the tone".

This would confirm that the priest isn't spawning, and hence there is no pope, and hence crusades can't be called. The log also confirms this - can't give traits to anyone with the name "The_Dark_Lord" because nobody exists with that name. The log seems to be protesting the use of 'papal_states' as the faction name, do you still have a faction with that name in descr_sm_factions? Does it have a names list in descr_names.txt? Is it still the papal_faction in descr_sm_factions? In vanilla TATW, the papal_states is the "Sauron faction" that just sits in the corner and has a name list consisting of the single entry The_Dark_Lord, iirc. If you toggle fog of war, you should be able to see if the papal_states exists on the map and if the priest spawns. The papal_faction is unique in that, if there is no pope, anyone spawned with spawn_army will automatically become the next pope. I believe this also works with spawn_character. Just based on the info here, my guess is that there's something wrong with the papal_faction preventing it from existing on the map and hence preventing the pope from spawning.

The log seems to be protesting the use of 'papal_states' as the faction name, do you still have a faction with that name in descr_sm_factions? Does it have a names list in descr_names.txt? Is it still the papal_faction in descr_sm_factions? In vanilla TATW, the papal_states is the "Sauron faction" that just sits in the corner and has a name list consisting of the single entry The_Dark_Lord, iirc. If you toggle fog of war, you should be able to see if the papal_states exists on the map and if the priest spawns.
    Yes to all these questions. I will set the go_pope to turn one and also have crusades called at turn one as well in the descr_campaign_db. I do remember posting a spy to the location a month or so ago and remember seeing a popish looking fellow but still no crusades were called.

Hopefully goes without saying but... have you checked that the papal_states faction is present on the actual campaign map when the priest is supposed to spawn? If the faction is non-existent/dead then spawn_character won't work, the priest won't spawn, hence the traits can't be added and crusades can't be called.

If the papal_states faction is clearly alive on the map, then check what the pope tab of the faction info scroll says before and after the priest spawns. It should say "not present" before and give you target options after. If you don't get the target options then you didn't succeed in making a pope. The pope existing is basically the only condition that makes crusades possible (jihads have an extra condition that the priests [imams] calling them have a certain piety level [required_jihad_piety]), which is why the original TATW script just spawns a priest for the papal_faction when it's time for invasions to start. I don't think you even need to specify crusade targets in descr_regions.

If the papal_states faction doesn't exist on the map, then... it might still be alive. In fact, the only way to kill a faction with 'no' family tree (as I presume papal_states has) is to use the kill_faction script command. In the absence of that command, the only way the faction could be dead when the event fires is if it was never alive in the first place because it was set up incorrectly in descr_strat or something. I notice in your first monitor you're adding a unit to "Sauron". If he's a general set up in descr_strat, he's probably the faction leader, and I'm not sure how he wouldn't be the pope.

I have figured out what the issue was. For some reason I had to put the vanilla SE Bodyguard back into the game and then Sauron spawned in his lair. I am not sure why the unit 'Sauron Elephants' did not work as it was also set up for the papal_states faction. I will have to spawn Sauron with 'Sauron Elephants' to see if that unit works properly.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Without a bodyguard (general_unit attribute!) assigned to the faction in the EDU every new named character will automatically die - commonly called the 'harakiri' bug.

If you want a different battle model for the FL then the default one simply have a small script using the 'change_battle_model [faction] leader\heir [model]' command
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 14, 2022 at 12:09 AM.