Thread: Are Buildings from Rome Remastered portable to Medieval 2 and a couple of other Questions

Default Are Buildings from Rome Remastered portable to Medieval 2 and a couple of other Questions

Hello,

I plan to make some settlements for Medieval 2 with ITWE and 3d Blender https://www.blender.org/ and have a couple of questions.

- I plan to Import some buildings from rome 1 to medieval I know its possible but since I dont have rome 1 now which version should I buy the Steam remastered (which is easier to get) or the old Cd version?

- I read a couple of guides but donĀ“t found any advanced guide for photoshop editing of settlements with TGA files can anyone point me into the direction of an good guide?

- I plan to use 3d shape because its an newer program than Milkshape on its User interface is more Intuitive for me , has anyone experience with this programm?

- here is also a cool video what 3d blender can do but sadly the guy doesnt speak.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjXOjO5j18 is he active at Twcenter ?

- How big are the limits for Settlement maps are Huge Cities and Citadel maps are the limit for the game Engine or can I stretch this and how far if possible?

- I read that maps would still function even if buildings would clip into eachother or the ground can I use this to simulate different wall heights? (Sink a wall half into the ground to make it look like a smaller wall, since different wall heights are normal not possible on the map)

So thats it for now I havent any specific timeplans and know it will be a long and rocky road so there will be surely some questions in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Are Buildings from Rome Remastered portable to Medieval 2 and a couple of other Questions

Sorry for late reply I hadn't noticed the new thread
    Quote Originally Posted by mekkermann View Post
    Hello,

I plan to make some settlements for Medieval 2 with ITWE and 3d Blender https://www.blender.org/ and have a couple of questions.

- I plan to Import some buildings from rome 1 to medieval I know its possible but since I dont have rome 1 now which version should I buy the Steam remastered (which is easier to get) or the old Cd version?
    I'd get the Remastered version, an old CD version is unlikely to play on most systems, it won't on mine. You might also then want to mod remastered instead...

- I read a couple of guides but donĀ“t found any advanced guide for photoshop editing of settlements with TGA files can anyone point me into the direction of an good guide?

- I plan to use 3d shape because its an newer program than Milkshape on its User interface is more Intuitive for me , has anyone experience with this programm?
    both of those are general questions that you will probably get more useful answers for in the main workshop section or elsewhere. For 3D stuff I'd advise stick to Blender.

- here is also a cool video what 3d blender can do but sadly the guy doesnt speak.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjXOjO5j18 is he active at Twcenter ?
    not sure, he is "WK | Kautto Ville" on discord

- How big are the limits for Settlement maps are Huge Cities and Citadel maps are the limit for the game Engine or can I stretch this and how far if possible?
    There's a limit to .worldterrain something a bit over 501 rows/columns which are 8m wide, but that gets you a long way off the playable area of the battlemap anyway. Your practical limitation is allowing room for the attacking forces to deploy within the battlemap area (which isn't expandable)

- I read that maps would still function even if buildings would clip into eachother or the ground can I use this to simulate different wall heights? (Sink a wall half into the ground to make it look like a smaller wall, since different wall heights are normal not possible on the map)
    M2 unlike RTW can have different heights and levels of walls within the same plan, you just need to make sure (for visual reasons) that the parts you can put a ladder/tower against are the relevant height above the ground and have flat ground in front of them so the ladder/towers don't tilt away or through the wall.

So thats it for now I havent any specific timeplans and know it will be a long and rocky road so there will be surely some questions in the future.

Thanks in advance.
    good luck!

Default Re: Are Buildings from Rome Remastered portable to Medieval 2 and a couple of other Questions

Thank you for your answers, I made some Progress with the 3d blender and kinda finished my first own castle. Buildings are not yet organized into complexes yet. When I tried to load the file into the game I only got the castle with the terrain ITWE asked me to read, when asked to read 3 binary files first, not my custom terrain I made. Half the castle hangs in the air. And in the 3d view in ITWE there are more buildings to see than I made. Is this because I didn“t organize the buildings yet , do I have to use 3 blank binary files or to edit the file after I loaded it into ITWE again with Blender and delete the buildings to get things right?

Quote Originally Posted by mekkermann View Post
    Thank you for your answers, I made some Progress with the 3d blender and kinda finished my first own castle. Buildings are not yet organized into complexes yet. When I tried to load the file into the game I only got the castle with the terrain ITWE asked me to read, when asked to read 3 binary files first, not my custom terrain I made. Half the castle hangs in the air. And in the 3d view in ITWE there are more buildings to see than I made. Is this because I didn“t organize the buildings yet , do I have to use 3 blank binary files or to edit the file after I loaded it into ITWE again with Blender and delete the buildings to get things right?
    probably best to start with a reduced down set of files - the blender>world process isn't designed to do this, as it assumes if you haven't given it an existing complex back, then you aren't trying to alter it... so you can't delete a whole complex in Blender.

to get a reduced .world from an existing one, there is a 'keep first structure' button on the specials tab, which will just keep the first structure and delete everything else, or if you want to keep some complexes, then just use the 'delete complex' button on the 'structures' tab.

if you want objects properly organised into structures the way M2 did it (not the way most modders do it for convenience!) you can use the 'Reset Complex Blocks' under the Medieval 2 drop down in the top bar. alternatively you can just group things into convenient (for you) complexes and use that option later.

IWTE normally saves new files with different names ,eg. adding 01, or WD or something... so you don't accidentally overwrite files. (and for some things it saves in IWTE save folder!) - look at the dates of the files and make sure you have found and renamed the new ones so they are used in game!