Thread: Increasing render distance

Default Increasing render distance

Is there any known way to increase the render distance of units in battles? At a certain distance they turn into identical low quality models and beyond that they turn into little 2D sprites. I can't seem to find any mods or methods that increase the render distance of units.
    Der Kaiser
    ΑΩ

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Increasing render distance

It's time consuming to change the render distance as it has to be done individually\manually and you may end up turning your PC into a slide show. You will need a formatted modeldb file (try my Bare Geomod) and then change the render values, example below with 6400 being the distance after which sprites are being used:
    Code:
    1 3 
    68 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/heavy_bill_militia_lod0.mesh 121 
    68 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/heavy_bill_militia_lod1.mesh 1225 
    68 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/heavy_bill_militia_lod2.mesh 6400
    One way would be to remove the last two meshes and set the value of the first to 6400 and change the model count to 1. Or increase the values of the first two. Or use only the first two meshes....

You can also give this a try: open the medieval2.preference.CFG file with Notepad and look for 'unit_detail'. Set the value to 'highest':
    Code:
     unit_detail = highest
    Save and make read-only as otherwise the game will reset the value after the first game.

It will stop the use of the sprites, but beyond that I am not sure, eg if it uses only the top level model.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 04, 2021 at 01:08 PM.

I'm a bit late but holy that worked so perfectly, thank you!
    Der Kaiser
    ΑΩ

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

In most mods avoid to create lod1,lod2 sub models and this is what they do:
    1 1
    68 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/heavy_bill_militia_lod0.mesh 6400

This and the srites entry in the end of each model quarantee the maximum detail in all distances.
    Warning. That require a rather good PC but my 15 years olf one hundles it perfectly.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.