Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions & Ideas

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Suggestions & Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Doubtful but you never know.
    or a late era campaign 300AD
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianNecrophiliac View Post
    What the is this nonsense? Is this a troll account?
    Let's keep it civil laddie, it's obvious this persons native language is not English and he/she is making an effort to put forward a request...besides the same could be asked of you considering your username & Avatar don't you think?
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

I personally love the dark version of the campaign map after fighting a night battle. Is it possible to have a standard cycle between day and night every other turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Let's keep it civil laddie, it's obvious this persons native language is not English and he/she is making an effort to put forward a request...besides the same could be asked of you considering your username & Avatar don't you think?
    Laddie? What's with the condescension? That's not a fair comparison to make, because 1. Egyptian necrophilia is part of written history from RTW's time period, and 2. I have never trolled or written nonsense on this forum.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

He's Scottish. Translates to mate more or less.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Suggestion: Try to port the religion mechanics from BI, you could for example rename religion to culture and have barbarian, roman, greek, carthaginian, ... cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    Suggestion: Try to port the religion mechanics from BI, you could for example rename religion to culture and have barbarian, roman, greek, carthaginian, ... cultures.

We have something in mind!

Will there be the Lusitanian faction? Always really enjoyed these Iberians. And will there be more then one faction in Iberia?

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Quote Originally Posted by Draken2007 View Post
    Will there be the Lusitanian faction? Always really enjoyed these Iberians. And will there be more then one faction in Iberia?
    Nothing definitive as of yet, but we definitively do intend to add more diversity in all regions of the map! Especially if the faction cap is indeed lifted to, say, 30, much might be possible in the years to come.

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

I am not sure if it is possible, but could you tie certain reform events to either be triggered by wars with certain factions or perhaps ownership of some of their core provinces?
    For example the defeat or ownership of one of more Spanish/Lucitani provinces could allow Romans to get reform scutum / gladius units.
    Lorica Segmenta could be triggered after Marian reforms by fighting one of the Illyrian/Getae factions.
    I think it would be a bit more authentic, if not "historical" for your gameplay/advancement to mirror the world you are shaping each campaign.
    I suppose it is a little late in the day for Macedonians to be inspiring anyone to take up sarissa phalanxes but I think the idea has some potential.

Civis

I don't know if the team considered this, but would it be fine to give Hoplites a secondary underhand spear weapon. I know there were problems with Hoplites using their swords instead of their spears, but it just looks so awkward for the Hoplites to always use their Spear overhand all the time.
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

Summary's Avatar Biarchus

I think when it comes to hoplites there are more pressing concerns. A group of 204 Spartan Hoplites lost straight in a head to head versus 203 Hastati. Hoplites can't even form phalanx. They need some serious buffs, it makes the game super easy for Romans considering even their most basic melee unit can trash the most elite units of Greece. The fight ended with 39 casualties on the Roman side and 194 dead Spartans. I think balance wise the mod has a lot of work to do. While it is debatable that a Roman maniple/legionary could beat a phalanx formation head-on, I think there should be no doubt about why a Hastati unit shouldn't be able to wipe the floor with Spartans. Personally I prefer the vanilla balance which forces you to out-manouever or find gaps in phalanx formations in order to defeat them. Personally, I like the balance of units in Rome 2, DeI where hoplites can form phalanxes and beat most melee units head on but collapse like a pack of cards when flanked. It adds some depth to battle tactics, rather than have it that a sword unit beats all infantry. I am sure the Devs of RTR:IR are highly capable, and they do a damn good job, will address this issue.

I feel that head-to-head without any flanking, a phalangitai phalanx>hoplitai phalanx>legionary>spearmen. That being said, the swords men should gain a distinct advantage in a flank as they can close the gap and nullify the reach advantage. Sword units should also enjoy higher mobility, with spearmen as second, followed by hoplitai and then phalangitai. This means if the phalangitai or hoplitai are able to force the swordsmen to commit to a head-on confrontation, they should have the upper hand, but if somehow the swordsmen outmanoever and flank these units, then not only do they lose the advantage but should also suffer penalties.
    Last edited by apple; May 27, 2021 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Double posting

Civis

@Summary I'm sure there is some balance work to do, but I see no problem with how hoplites are portrayed in this mod. I mean, in this time period, hoplites and the classical phalanx were considered an outdated model. Hell, even in Greece's Golden Age, I think the only reason why this system worked was because of the lack of cav (or in the inefficient use of it) and because Greek commanders opted for head-on rucks instead of chaotic barbaric warfare lol. Anyways, I think it's right that in a 1v1 and no Thermopylae pass, the Hastati will encircle the Spartans and eat away at them. I imagine that's what happened in your test battle? If not, the Spartans pushed the Hastati, encircled them, but by doing so, had broken ranks and become disorderly, and this is when the Hastati turned the tide. In this mod, assuming that the stats are identical to RS2, the best way to use Hoplites are as Shock/Flank Infantry (because of their push) and as Medium AntiCav units (there are better AntiCav units). In conclusion, you'll have to change your idea of how effective hoplites were in order to enjoy this mod.

Also, vanilla balance is atrocious! No way should a unit of Armoured Hoplites be able to win against Royal Pikes in a head-on pike fight. There's a reason why pikes were made extra long, it's because reach is a weapon's best stat.
    Last edited by OJ33DA; May 27, 2021 at 12:40 PM.
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

The romans did have quite a number of victories over greek formations. The Plalanx is not unbeatable. The romans proved that several times, yes, even with Hastati. The maniple system was just more flexible compared to the old Phalanx.

smith121363's Avatar Laetus

Would it be possible to add the mine buildings to copper, lead, tin, and iron resources. It seems odd to only have the mine buildings on the gold and silver resources.

We will redo the building system as a whole eventually.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

I know lots of us have an aversion to Steam. But we all know Roma Surrectum is the best of all the RTW games/mods (IMO by far the best). And because a new Surrectum mod is the only great news in gaming for me, I just have to ask: can this version be compatible with Steam and Win10? (Hopefully I don't have to duck from all the flaming missiles )

Quote Originally Posted by RTW_Marius View Post
    I know lots of us have an aversion to Steam. But we all know Roma Surrectum is the best of all the RTW games/mods (IMO by far the best). And because a new Surrectum mod is the only great news in gaming for me, I just have to ask: can this version be compatible with Steam and Win10? (Hopefully I don't have to duck from all the flaming missiles )

Okay, I spoke too soon. I see there's Steam Mod development. Great! My only suggestions, the two things for me that set RS apart the most: 1)The expansive building list with all the many non-building options; and 2) The variety of battle maps and city designs.

I love all the factions, but I often play the Britons/Iceni because I like to lock down Britain and start amassing Denari pretty quickly. At about 50,000 (I think turn 40-ish) I started to expand, only to get overwhelmed by the massive Gallic faction. I realized, I could continuously bribe the attacking armies at about 10k a pop while still earning more than enough per turn to compensate, and it started to dull the "total war" experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing and they're almost wiped out at turn 100. My suggestion is to perhaps make a trait where generals will NEVER accept bribes, simply to prevent this easy win strat. Maybe someone has another idea, but now I'm making nearly 10k a turn and as long as I have a nearby diplomat, I can't lose!

Quote Originally Posted by dwebz View Post
    I love all the factions, but I often play the Britons/Iceni because I like to lock down Britain and start amassing Denari pretty quickly. At about 50,000 (I think turn 40-ish) I started to expand, only to get overwhelmed by the massive Gallic faction. I realized, I could continuously bribe the attacking armies at about 10k a pop while still earning more than enough per turn to compensate, and it started to dull the "total war" experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing and they're almost wiped out at turn 100. My suggestion is to perhaps make a trait where generals will NEVER accept bribes, simply to prevent this easy win strat. Maybe someone has another idea, but now I'm making nearly 10k a turn and as long as I have a nearby diplomat, I can't lose!
    I'd argue that the best way to solve your problem is for you to stop bribing.
    Son of Legio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast