Thread: What do DEI (and possibly Testudo) players think of Three Kingdoms Total war? (mods?)

Default What do DEI (and possibly Testudo) players think of Three Kingdoms Total war? (mods?)

Well, what do you think of Three kingdoms TW? Any mods akin to DeI you've played with?

Personally I haven't been able to get into it. The UI is worse in many ways and the retinue system sort of ruins the campaign and battles. I've tried playing with TROM mod and still....

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: What do DEI (and possibly Testudo) players think of Three Kingdoms Total war? (mods?)

I think that any TW vanilla game is pure poop and my hours spent on any TW vanilla game are 0.
    Mods are really complex things to do when the basis is poop, in fact all the globally acclaimed mods have years of work behind.
    And, besides years of work... a good overhaul need modders who have brains, not only hands...

Default Re: What do DEI (and possibly Testudo) players think of Three Kingdoms Total war? (mods?)

Playing other TW's is hard once you have experienced DEI

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

I generally don't like the OP generals. I know that they represent the tradition of Chinese video game/cinematic martial arts super heroes in a historical context, but it just isn't fun for me in a historical video game. Aside from that I also have never been able to get into the lack of diversity in units and culture that are a trademark of Asian themed TW games. Rome and Rome 2 both have really diverse cultures and fighting styles that are almost unique in recorded history - which makes for much more interesting wars. From my experience in 3K it seemed like you have your basic spearmen, swordsmen, and cavalry for every faction with the heroes being what defines a faction rather than their culture or unique fighting style. In general 3K reminds me of other TW games that I barely play like shogun or Thrones of Britannia because they lack unit and cultural diversity. I will say that the 3K map is beautiful, and they seem to be trying to expand the faction roster with recent DLC entries (although I can't imagine using tigers as an actual military unit).

The appeal of the Roman era - especially with DEI or EB for Rome I is that you can fight as or against really unique factions and cultures - something that generally is lacking in three kingdoms. To me three kingdoms is inherently boring in a military sense as every battle is a clone of every other battle. Oddly I really like Warhammer II in spite of the OP characters because that world is inherently very diverse. I guess that I have more of a problem with the lack of diversity than with the OP generals, and if a good mod that really spices up the unique factions of China comes out I am willing to give it a try. Unfortunately the best mods seem to be in native Asian languages, so I don't have any idea if this mod exists yet, and I haven't been motivated to truly search one out. I still have a lot to experience in DEI or Warhammer when I want to scratch my Total War itch.

The map and diplomacy system are pretty cool.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The map and diplomacy system are pretty cool.
    This is the main thing I wish we could have with Rome 2/DEI/Testudo....is for a better diplomacy system and at least somewhat reasonable AI regarding diplomacy. Maybe....just maybe even a warscore type of system.
    Which is the only reason (aside from stupid battlefield AI at times) I have a difficult time getting into Rome 2 /DeI/Testudo at times...

TK diplomacy and character system is great and in my thinking it would work perfectly in a medieval feudal setting with barons, vassals and kings.

As with every TW game, I only play it with mods. The strategic part scratches the same itch as DeI, what with all the ways you can develop your provinces and empire as a whole.

Yes I am really hoping for the diplomacy/character system for Medieval 3 if thats a thing.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----