Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Default Re: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    I would be very interested to see different numbers of soldiers displayed on campaign map and battle map for roleplaying purposes.

Example:
    Army on strat map displays 50.000 soldiers with each unit being 10.000
    On battle map tho, the number of soldiers is the "real" one.

This would make the battles more realistic and great for AARs.

I'll be using this tool in my mod for sure.
    sounds interesting, I'll see if I can do something about it later.

Palaiogos

I don't think it makes sense to do it. This would be associated with a lot of problems.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises
    medieval 2 total war engine overhaul project

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    50 000 soldiers in an army on the battle map? Amazing, but playable? Hard to imagine.
    No that would be just the number of soldiers displayed. actual soldiers would be standard MTW2 limits. It's so that strat map numbers would match the real counterpart and thus battle results would become realistic for roleplaying purposes if you're making an AAR story for example.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    50 000 soldiers in an army on the battle map? Amazing, but playable? Hard to imagine.
    It seemed to me that 50,000 on the strategic map, i.e. only the "visible" value, not the real one.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises

Ok if its not feasible then what about attrition? units get depleted slowly based on which region the player ends the turn. With possibility to customize the percentage of soldiers lost in each individual region. And if some buldings are present in a city for example, then depletion rate decreases. This would be very useful to me but also many others I'm sure.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    I just thought - what if I make the forts the functionality of something resembling a city or a castle?

The essence of the idea:
    the fort will have some of the properties of the city - the ability to build buildings, hire some troops, there may be no population, etc.
    It will not look at all like what the settlements have now - the entire interface and everything else will be created anew. An existing scroll of forts can also be removed.
    Also, there probably won't be any building models on the tactical map.
    I think the final appearance may somewhat resemble what is in europa univarsalis 4 or ck2.

How do you like this thought? How it should look in your opinion? (taking into account the restrictions indicated above).
    Is there any progress on the above concept? because it sounds really amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    Is there any progress on the above concept? because it sounds really amazing
    there is no progress, I just took a short break in development. After I get back to her I will also do other things. So far, these are only plans (and there are a lot of similar ones)
    Sirlionyes, there were such plans from the very beginning of development, but I keep putting it off)

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Ok if its not feasible then what about attrition? units get depleted slowly based on which region the player ends the turn. With possibility to customize the percentage of soldiers lost in each individual region. And if some buldings are present in a city for example, then depletion rate decreases. This would be very useful to me but also many others I'm sure.
    Im not exactly sure but i think i recall some similar feature was present in Stainless Steel, at least it was back in the day when i played it. If i remember correctly, your armies would take attrition outside of your borders if they were led not by a faction leader/heir, and there was something like a supply wagons ancillary/traint cant remember, that reduced the attrition. I remember this from years ago, hope my memory is correct here.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Yes SS has all that. However the script is monstrously large (brilliant, but large). This tool could allow for the same effects with less work on the modders side and much, much, MUCH lighter and short scripting which in theory would mean better turn times and a smother experience on the campaign map.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

I've already talked about this but would like to comment it again....

Would be possible to acess diplomacy menu at any time with any faction via a button? Exactly like in modern Total War games.

That would exempt the usage of diplomats, wich is a limitation from the engine.

I believe it would be simple to do but maybe complicated to make the AI use it instead of their diplomatic agents.

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

Time to add a suggestion: allowing surnames to be displayed before the given name would be nice for Asian factions. I'm working on a world map mod, and the character names for Vietnam, China, Korea, and Japan are a little awkward.

EDIT: Looks like this was already asked; I somehow missed it the first time. Oops. But having separate middle names would be cool, although it isn't really needed since it can just be attached to the given names.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; October 01, 2020 at 06:48 AM.

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    I've already talked about this but would like to comment it again....
    Would be possible to acess diplomacy menu at any time with any faction via a button? Exactly like in modern Total War games.
    That would exempt the usage of diplomats, wich is a limitation from the engine.
    I believe it would be simple to do but maybe complicated to make the AI use it instead of their diplomatic agents.
    I remember this request, but so far I cannot find the time. I think a lot of problems can arise with this function.
    I will probably do this after the current update.

Metal.Pigeon

"Time to add a suggestion: allowing surnames to be displayed before the given name would be nice for Asian factions.
    I will try to add this feature after the current update.

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    sounds interesting, I'll see if I can do something about it later.

Palaiogos

I don't think it makes sense to do it. This would be associated with a lot of problems.
    @Sirlion, why would it have a lot of problems to have 40 units per army?

Quote Originally Posted by Palaiogos View Post
    @Sirlion, why would it have a lot of problems to have 40 units per army?
    MED2 engine does not use multi core processors.

We already have lag with 20 units. 40 will turn the game unplayable.

Just added 3 more items to my list (18, 19 and 20)

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Ok after some weeks following this project I feel finally ready to throw my wishlist.

Its nothing but my 50 cents, no demanding or hurrying.
    This project has already achieved great things and anything else that comes will be welcome.
    Please ignore if anything I enlist here is too absurd, Im just an enthusiast.

Here we go:

1 - Fix the widescreen resolution stretch (already being done by Aura)
    2 - Reactivate the wall_level in export_descr_buildings.txt (maybe the fortification level in the .worldpackage files too)
    3 - Reactivate the settlement plans (so to make possible development of unique settlements, just imagine upgrading a historical city level by level each one having his own custom battlemodel. The system exists in the engine since Rome but was disabled in med2)
    4 - Reactivate the capacity of some units to hit gates (in Rome, elehpants could hit and breach gates, thats would be awesome for trolls and giants in fantasy mods for med2)
    5 - Reactivate the Testudo formation.
    6 - Expand the hardcoded limit of resources (its currently 27)
    7 - Fix the bug where generic stratmap settlement models shows up where unique models should be while the map is under fog.
    8 - Reactivate the sub-faction parameter in campaing_script.txt. (currently it works in descr_strat only, means we cant spawn armies with subfaction in via script, and this causes limitations for the recently discovered trick of having unique animations for generals of the same faction)
    9 - Activate the control_faction console command in single player campaigns.
    10 - Reactivate the can_swim attribute in export_descr_units.txt. In case this could help flying units to pass over rivers and lakes. Check item 11 for more complex possibilities.
    11 - Creating a new attribute for units in export_descr_units.txt to ignore pathfinding blockage in battlefield and preferably also in stratmap, so this way flying units would finally work like they should, flying over walls, buildings and ignoring cliffs.
    12 - Units with a single man (for monsters like dragons, Balrog, giants etc)
    13- Allowing the provoke_rebelion command to be triggered via script without any condition, and alongside with it the ability to decide what unit will take control of the settlement in the rebelion (just imagine a script that creates a rebelion in a dwarven mountain settlement and the unit taking control of the settlement is a dragon, so you will need to retake te settlement with an army, and get great bounties by killing the dragon)
    14 - A new interface to access diplomatic options at any time without the need of diplomats. (A button in the already existing diplomacy menu of the game, to open the diplomatic options.)
    15 - Reactivate the variation box for settlements in .worldpackage files. (currently, it works only for forts and bring us infinite possibilities. Reactivating it for settlements too would be a huge breakthrough, and I guess this is quite possible since its a vanilla feature.)
    16 - Allow spawn_army to work over ports. Currently, you cant spawn an army over a port via script.
    17 - Enable both temporary and permanent forts in campaign. Preferably, allowing modders to decide wich faction (or at least culture) will be able to build them.
    18 - Allow named forts
    19 - Military access should allow armies to pass through allied cities tiles and armies in strat map. (This way an army could cross Osgiliath if the faction owning it is allied.)
    20 - A new bonus for units when fighting in mountains (like the snow or grass one, that would be cool for dwarfs)

21 - Buildings in forts. The idea is a garrison quarter capable of recruiting and retraining units for the faction occupying the fort. So forts would turn more important as a strategic point.

Thats it. I'll update the list if more things come to my mind.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; October 18, 2020 at 12:00 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

My wish list includes the abillity of a faction runs our of fammily members (only captains) and have settlements under its control either to turn to rebels or re-generate a new "dynasty" to continue untll conquered.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    My wish list includes the abillity of a faction runs our of fammily members (only captains) and have settlements under its control either to turn to rebels or re-generate a new "dynasty" to continue untll conquered.
    In the SSHIP we have a script adding new generals if a faction is short of named characters. I don't know what happens if the guys from the family tree are all dead but the faction still has those generals. We also have a mechanism to regenerate a new dynasty but perhaps not in the meaning you'd like to have it, Anthoninuiusil: the tree stays the same, but there's a new trait "blood". I understand you'd like to have a new family tree?

Just updated my list. Green is what is already done. Blue are priorities.

1 - Fix the widescreen resolution stretch
    2 - Allow mods to decide what siege engine can be used in each specific settlement.
    3 - Reactivate the settlement plans (so to make possible development of unique settlements, Like upgrading a historical city level by level each one having his own custom unique battlemodel. The system exists in the engine since Rome but was disabled in med2)
    4 - Reactivate the capacity of some units to hit gates (in Rome, elehpants could hit and breach gates, that would serve for trolls and giants in fantasy mods for med2)
    5 - Reactivate the Testudo formation.
    6 - Fix the bug where generic stratmap settlement models shows up where unique models should be while the map is under fog.
    7 - Reactivate the sub-faction parameter in campaing_script.txt. Currently it works in descr_strat.txt only, but its effect is cancelled after you load a saved game. (Spawning armies with subfaction allows having unique animations for generals of the same faction).
    8 - Fix the battle result bug caused by the control_faction console command in single player campaigns. (The command was activated by the MT2TWEOP tool already, but as I said still bugged).
    9 - Units with a single man (for monsters like dragons, Balrog, giants etc)
    10- Allowing the provoke_rebelion command to be triggered via script without any condition, and alongside with it the ability to decide what unit will take control of the settlement in the rebelion (e.g: a script that creates a rebelion in a dwarven mountain settlement and the unit taking control of the settlement is a dragon)
    11 - A new interface to access diplomatic options at any time without the need of diplomats. (A button in the already existing diplomacy menu of the game, to open the diplomatic options.)
    12 - Allow spawn_army and spawn_character to work over ports via campaign_script. And armies spawned over ports should then automatically block them.
    13 - Expand the limit of custom forts 3d models in stratmap.
    14 - Allow named forts
    15 - Expand the limit of custom resource 3d models in stratmap.
    16 - Allow share of "actions" from descr_character.txt between characters.
    17 - Expanding the limit of custom tiles in custom_tiles_db.txt. The med2 hardcoded limit is 100.
    18 - Any effort to allow flying units to work better.
    19 - Making all settlements available in custom battles. (Currently, they are limite by culture/level so we can't have all custom settlements in custom battles)
    20 - Expand the limit of custom ports 3d models in stratmap.
    21 - Expand the limit of custom watch towers 3d models in stratmap.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; July 22, 2021 at 08:54 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Another issue that is forgoten after Rome I is the abillity of AI to hundle 2 or more AI controled armies by assign them their own siege equipemnt like rams , ladders and siege towers.
    In Rome I 2-4 AI controled armies that besiege a city build their own siege equipment (that i mentioned above) and use it the same time assaulting the city from different directions.
    In M2TW a second or more AI controled armies have to wait the 1st one that has siege equipment to breach the walls or open the gates to move otherwise they stand still and watch.
    Can that be done? The code must be hiden in the Rome I left overs.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Any new updates youneuoy?

If I may suggest some ideas, I think looking into disasters might be interesting as well (eathquakes, storms, floods, plagues, etc.).

Firstly some of them are bugged, hence they are not used. So a good enough thing to do would be fixing them so they can be used. When a flood happen in a region, it prohibits forts and watchtowers being built in a region and also singnificantly reduces movement points in a region. Thats certainly a very interesting feature. Obviously, these resrictions are meant to be in a place just for a turn or two (until the flood stops), but its bugged, and it goes on undefinitely, which is a huge issue, hence its not used in mods (it can be fixed by another flood in the region, but you can hardly do that reliably, as you want the disasters to be random). It seems sea storms are bugged the same way, will let you know when I find out.

The thing is, that with the disasters can be connected many interesting global effects that we are unable to get by any other way (such as restricting the movement points, damaging armies, buildings, ships, etc), and also most importantly those disasters can make very interesting animations on the strat map (like the area of map actually being flooded, storm clouds, volcan eruption, fires, etc), so it could potentionally open a door for many new interesting ways of modding campaigns and events. Check this thread for info (and pics) https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?696575

Its all hardcoded, so not much can be done (except changing descriptions and stuff like that. For example I changed earthquakes in my mod to "dragon raids"). Having the ability to change the animations, or for example more deeply modify the effects of disasters would be huge. (there are also three unused events - dustbowl, locust and horde. Would be interesting to be able to use them for something).

Some minor idea (but very interesting) that would be probably easy to do to get started with this, would be using one of the events ability to reduce the movement points, and use it for winter periods. ( I suppose we could somehow get it working already using slightly adjusted floods, but there would be the floods animations all over the map... Unability to build watchtowers and forts would make sense for winters)
    Last edited by Jadli; November 17, 2020 at 03:33 AM.

Jadli
    Any new updates youneuoy?
    So far, I've just figured out how to add a couple of new things, but I'll be back to active development soon.
    Yesterday I took my broken ssd disk with the source code to the data recovery center, now they called me - they say that they have already restored the folders that I needed. It turned out $ 104 for 70 GB (I also asked to restore the user's folder - there are game saves, images of virtual machines with installed programs, etc.) Tomorrow I'll go check, pay and pick it up.
    Some minor idea (but very interesting) that would be probably easy to do to get started with this, would be using one of the events ability to reduce the movement points, and use it for winter periods

you can do this by creating plugins for m2tweop. This is 10-20 lines of code.
    Firstly some of them are bugged, hence they are not used. So a good enough thing to do would be fixing them so they can be used. When a flood happen in a region, it prohibits forts and watchtowers being built in a region and also singnificantly reduces movement points in a region. Thats certainly a very interesting feature. Obviously, these resrictions are meant to be in a place just for a turn or two (until the flood stops), but its bugged, and it goes on undefinitely, which is a huge issue, hence its not used in mods (it can be fixed by another flood in the region, but you can hardly do that reliably, as you want the disasters to be random). It seems sea storms are bugged the same way, will let you know when I find out.
    sounds very interesting, I'll take a look at it.
    AnthoniusII
    Can that be done? The code must be hiden in the Rome I left overs.

it must be very difficult for me now - I haven't done anything for the AI yet and will postpone it for later.

leo.civil.uefs
    8 - Activate the control_faction console command in single player campaigns.
    already did.

15 - Allow spawn_army to work over ports via campaign_script. And armies spawned over ports should them automatically block them.

soon

Can you describe this in more detail? Perhaps I will have ideas on how to implement this.