Thread: Unit Sizes

Default Unit Sizes

I find the unit sizes to be ridiculously small. I have them on the largest setting and still some only have 80 men. Will this change as I upgrade buildings or am I stuck with this ? I can't imagine how ridiculous battles would look with the normal setting for unit sizes.
    Are there any submods that change unit sizes and upkeep/cost appropriately ?

I want interesting epic battles and I don't think that'll be possible with such small units. It's sad.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Unit Sizes

80 men is only cavalry and maybe some elite units. Most units are between 160-240.

Eh? On Huge unit scale, regular infantry are 160 men, levies around 200 and phalanxes 240. Only elites have small units. Cavalry are 100 men in a unit, aside from cavalry bodyguards.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I'm curious to know if the team considered lowering the size of the generals' bodyguards for some factions where the generals wouldn't take part personally in the battle (Romani?)? Something in the way Empire TW / Napoleon TW? What were the arguments against (for me the obvious one is the AI behaviour).

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Didn't roman generals fight personally in battle too? I thought atleast in the polybian era a consul commanded a cav wing, thats why they died so fast in Cannae. But I'm no expert in Roman warfare

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Didn't roman generals fight personally in battle too? I thought atleast in the polybian era a consul commanded a cav wing, thats why they died so fast in Cannae. But I'm no expert in Roman warfare
    No, by the time of our period, Roman generals were expected to be observers and controllers of battles from behind the fighting line, not active participants.

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    No, by the time of our period, Roman generals were expected to be observers and controllers of battles from behind the fighting line, not active participants. Personally leading men was a job for subordinate officers.

In Cannae both Consuls fought in cavalry units. One of the consuls, Paullus, commanded the Roman right wing and when they broke from the attack of the Iberian and Gaulish cavalry, he retreated to the centre of the Roman infantry line where he continued to command and encourage his men to push harder. The other consul, Varro, commanded the Roman left wing and escaped from battle after being attacked from behind by the victorious Iberian and Gaulish cavalry.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Beware ussing huge unit size. Such units CAN NOT defend city walls simply because they do not fit on them!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Beware ussing huge unit size. Such units CAN NOT defend city walls simply because they do not fit on them!
    This. Upping the unit size isn't everything and can make units very clunky and troublesome when you fight in settlements (placing units on walls, deploying them on a street or any other random space that has a limited width etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    This. Upping the unit size isn't everything and can make units very clunky and troublesome when you fight in settlements (placing units on walls, deploying them on a street or any other random space that has a limited width etc.).
    I would recommend huge unit sizes for more realistic field battles and considering auto-resolving at least some of the settlement battles unless you have found those particularly fulfilling.

I have found the settlement battles very clunky, time-consuming, and unrealistic in the way how AI behaves within cities and how the central square provides unlimited morale. After a while, it seems like a chore to grind those engagements. Setting up a proper attack takes time and consideration, and against a specific type of settlement, the battle never really offers anything novel let alone surprising. It is one person's opinion, but I would not sacrifice the special feeling of huge open-terrain battles for the fact that it is easier man the walls in repetitive settlement battles.