Thread: Strat map models editing in Autodesk 3ds Max. Seeking help.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Default Strat map models editing in Autodesk 3ds Max. Seeking help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV2gugoeQ1w

Hi all!

So, here's a video I made on modeling the .CAS format strat map settlements' models in Autodesk 3ds Max.

Generally, I'm having problems with adding objects to the existing model and texturing them. I will appreciate any help!

And as I'm russian, my English isn't perfect, but hopefully you'll be able to get the core of the problem.

Thank you very much in advance!

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default Re: Strat map models editing in Autodesk 3ds Max. Seeking help.

I know what the problem is, I just can't find the right words to describe it (English isn't my native language either). The problem is that you didn't detach the surfaces of your object. You did the UVW mapping correctly but you need to first select the side you want to map and detach it from your object (you can re-attach it later on). You have this problem because some vertices of your object are shared by multiple sides, while they use different parts of the texture that aren't adjacent to one another, so it looks warped/stretched after converting. Apparently the .cas format can't handle UVW mapping that's separate from the actual 3D object. If you break up the UVW mapping you have to actually break up the object as well.

I hope I make some sense.
    Last edited by Razor; February 18, 2019 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I know what the problem is, I just can't find the right words to describe it (English isn't my native language either). The problem is that you didn't detach the surfaces of your object. You did the UVW mapping correctly but you need to first select the side you want to map and detach it from your object (you can re-attach it later on). You have this problem because some vertices of your object are shared by multiple sides, while they use different parts of the texture that aren't adjacent to one another, so it looks warped/stretched after converting. Apparently the .cas format can't handle UVW mapping that's separate from the actual 3D object. If you break up the UVW mapping you have to actually break up the object as well.

I hope I make some sense.
    Man, you're a life saver! I think I see your point. Let me try to clarify:

Prior to using the UVW map modifier, if I create, let's say, a box, I need to detach all its sides from each other? So, the result should be 3 separate objects instead of one? (those objects would be 3 sides of the box - up, left and right, excluding the 4th side which is bottom, because I don't need it anyway).

Correct. Of course it also depends on the texture that you're using, but in your case it's a matter of simply detaching the sides. OR: you can basically create a box and delete the bottom and two opposite sides, map the three sides all at once (since the UVW map editor has the sides all aligned on top of each other) and then detach the top and map that correctly and then re-attach to the sides of the wall. I hope this gets you a little further.

Correct. Of course it also depends on the texture that you're using, but in your case it's a matter of simply detaching the sides. OR: you can basically create a box and delete the bottom and two opposite sides, map the three sides all at once (since the UVW map editor has the sides all aligned on top of each other) and then detach the top and map that correctly and then re-attach to the sides of the wall. I hope this gets you a little further.
    IT WORKED!!! IT F0CKIN' WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!! IT'S ALIVE! ALIIIIIIIIVE

Man, you saved my life, literally... You just can't imagine how much you helped...Bless you!

Okay, guys, now I need to know this.

The current way a "round" tower looks is more like a hexagon. I want to make look really round!
    How can I do it? Because, if I create a cyllinder object with 18 sides, it'll take ages to detach them, put texture, and reattach them back again!

Another way is to try to clone an already textured side and then, again, attach them to each other...

Now, I'm clueless...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	357406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	357405

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord.ru View Post
    IT WORKED!!! IT F0CKIN' WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!! IT'S ALIVE! ALIIIIIIIIVE

Man, you saved my life, literally... You just can't imagine how much you helped...Bless you!
    You're welcome.

Okay, guys, now I need to know this.

The current way a "round" tower looks is more like a hexagon. I want to make look really round!
    How can I do it? Because, if I create a cyllinder object with 18 sides, it'll take ages to detach them, put texture, and reattach them back again!

Another way is to try to clone an already textured side and then, again, attach them to each other...

Now, I'm clueless...

Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	357406Click image for larger version. 

Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	357405
    In the case of a cylinder you don't need to detach all the sides. In fact I urge you not to, because it will break the normals of the mesh (the way in which the 3D object gets lit by in-game lighting) and you will create sharp edges with stark contrasting shadows that you don't want. Instead, you'd want to keep the normals intact to get the smooth and round appearance. If you create a cylinder and apply a material/texture to it and then add the "unwrap UVW" modifier then (with either all surfaces/polygons or none selected) it will become obvious to you how this is supposed to be mapped. It's much more straightforward than a cube/box if you'd ask me. The same rules apply, i.e. the extreme sides will share vertices with each other, unless you start detaching sides.

Another way (without detaching) is to map one half and then put the other half of the UVW map on top of the other half, creating a mirrored texture appearance so to speak. It may not look great (and can even create graphical glitches when done to a unit .mesh model) but I believe the .cas format can deal with without any problems and it will probably not be noticeable on a strat map model.
    Last edited by Razor; February 21, 2019 at 06:48 PM.

In the case of a cylinder you don't need to detach all the sides. In fact I urge you not to, because it will break the normals of the mesh (the way in which the 3D object gets lit by in-game lighting) and you will create sharp edges with stark contrasting shadows that you don't want. Instead, you'd want to keep the normals intact to get the smooth and round appearance. If you create a cylinder and apply a material/texture to it and then add the "unwrap UVW" modifier then (with either all surfaces/polygons or none selected) it will become obvious to you how this is supposed to be mapped. It's much more straightforward than a cube/box if you'd ask me. The same rules apply, i.e. the extreme sides will share vertices with each other, unless you start detaching sides.

Another way (without detaching) is to map one half and then put the other half of the UVW map on top of the other half, creating a mirrored texture appearance so to speak. It may not look great (and can even create graphical glitches when done to a unit .mesh model) but I believe the .cas format can deal with without any problems and it will probably not be noticeable on a strat map model.
    Okay, mate, I'm tinkering with it now. Still, if I use the UVW Map modifier and put the 'cylindrical' texture on, 2 polygons get messed It's not that unpleasant ofc, but do you have any ideas, why is this happening? I can delete them and replace with the copies of the polygons which are not affected, but again - this takes time, and I want to avoid all those unnecessary procedures.

Views:	7 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	357432Click image for larger version. 

Views:	5 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	357433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	357434

Okay, mate, I'm tinkering with it now. Still, if I use the UVW Map modifier and put the 'cylindrical' texture on, 2 polygons get messed It's not that unpleasant ofc, but do you have any ideas, why is this happening? I can delete them and replace with the copies of the polygons which are not affected, but again - this takes time, and I want to avoid all those unnecessary procedures.

Views:	7 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	357432Click image for larger version. 

Views:	5 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	357433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	357434
    Well, of course this is happening. It's because one edge of the UVW mapping is shared by the other edge, because the 3D object isn't broken up, while in the UVW mapping it is. I already gave you the solution to this:

If you create a cylinder and apply a material/texture to it and then add the "unwrap UVW" modifier then (with either all surfaces/polygons or none selected) it will become obvious to you how this is supposed to be mapped. It's much more straightforward than a cube/box if you'd ask me. The same rules apply, i.e. the extreme sides will share vertices with each other, unless you start detaching sides.

Another way (without detaching) is to map one half and then put the other half of the UVW map on top of the other half, creating a mirrored texture appearance so to speak. It may not look great (and can even create graphical glitches when done to a unit .mesh model) but I believe the .cas format can deal with without any problems and it will probably not be noticeable on a strat map model
    Let me try to explain this using a picture: https://imgur.com/kKuo9mZ
    Last edited by Razor; February 22, 2019 at 06:12 PM.

Thank you again for your help! Much appreciated.

So... as I see it - there's no way you can texture an object in one click?

Either you detach sides and texture them all separately, or you can mirror the UVW map... Damn, that takes ages. All right...

Anyway. May I ask you to make a screenshot on how would you "mirror UVW"?

Basically, I created a cyllinder. Then deleted a half of it. Textured the remaining part. Mirrored this object. Is that right, or is there a quicker way?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so annoying and slow

Thank you again for your help! Much appreciated.

So... as I see it - there's no way you can texture an object in one click?

Either you detach sides and texture them all separately, or you can mirror the UVW map... Damn, that takes ages. All right...
    Short answer: yes, but you don't need to detach all sides and texture them separately. One side is enough in your case. Overall what you need to detach and what not depends on the 3D object and the layout of the texture that you're using.

Anyway. May I ask you to make a screenshot on how would you "mirror UVW"?

Basically, I created a cyllinder. Then deleted a half of it. Textured the remaining part. Mirrored this object. Is that right, or is there a quicker way?
    That's one way of doing it, but then you break the normals of the object and you're defeating the purpose of what you were trying to achieve. You'd then need to weld a few vertices of the two halves that touch each other back together into one vertex.

The quicker way (and what I actually meant) is this: https://imgur.com/Dm1vfN9

Also, when you're in the UVW editor and you select one of the vertices in the corner, there should be another vertex lighting up in blue or something alike (I use an older version). That means that those vertices belong to each other and are actually the same vertex on the 3D object. When you select your cylinder, added the texture to it and added the Unwrap UVW modifier, simply select one half of the wire layout in the editor and select "mirror horizontally" (see picture) and make sure that the vertices that belong to one other (that are actually the same vertex on the object) are on top of one another.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so annoying and slow
    Don't worry we've all been there. I do recommend you to play around for a bit and see how things work and get a feel for things. Some things are easy to do, but hard to explain.
    Last edited by Razor; February 22, 2019 at 06:45 PM.

Here's what I've come up with

Views:	15 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	357445

Nice one. Do be careful though. You don't want your strat map models to be too detailed, otherwise you could end up with performance issues, graphical errors or outright crashes.

Nice one. Do be careful though. You don't want your strat map models to be too detailed, otherwise you could end up with performance issues, graphical errors or outright crashes.
    Yep, a shame, but it is how it is... I'll try to keep as few polygons as I can...

Thx for reminding

And, to say the truth - I did the "mirroring objects" way. I couldn't figure out how to mirror textures, so mirroring objects was an easier way for me. I'm short in time now, so chances are, I'll follow your advice later. Additionally, I didn't feel the need to weld the vertices, although I hand't checked the model in game. Although having achieved this result at least in the programm itself is inspiring

Again, thank you so much for your help!

You're welcome.