Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performence

Laetus

Default Performence

I dont know if i am the only one experiencing this but i have major performance decreasen in battle ever snice this recent update. i may not have the newest system, however before the update i could handle battles up to 4 full stacks more or less fine (fps dropped below 30 from time to time). now i am struggling with 2 (aka normal battle!). the weird thing is more often than not my fps are stable and i can move the camera just fine, but the units themselfes "lag". sometimes they look like they are moving in slow motion, sometimes the anymations look clipped. this was never the case before this most recent update. any ideas how to fix this? maybe something in the options menu?

if nothing can be done about this or its just me whos having these kind of problems, maybe someone can tell me if i can download the pre-update version of dei, as i adore this mod and everything went fine before the update.

anyway, thanks for your time and your replies.

gamma

Default Re: Performence

I think there is no performance problems related to any recent patch. Try to reduce Shadows, Unit Details and Trees quality (these 3 are the most demanding options in my experience after lots of tests).

Also check this thread for hints on how to improve performance:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...DEI-experience

Nilte's Avatar Civis

Do you have any graphic mods installed? I had a similar problems but I solved it by only use gem. I know the mod that removes clouds made my game exactly as U describe it even tho I have a high end pc.

Skickat från min SM-G965F via Tapatalk

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Yes the stutters. CPU bottlenecking, your best hopes are

Go to appdata/rome2/scripts open preference.script
    1) revert to DX9. change gfx_device_type 0; from whatever number is to 0 (line 21)

2) increase thread count. change number_of_threads x; whatever your thread count is (line 137)

3) use that affinity option. Some say if u go task manager, details, right click rome, affinity, and you set to running it on say only cpu 0 or cpu 0 and 1 it somehow fixes it. I don't believe in that but idk.

4) Shadows texture quality, building details and unit details if increased above 'high' setting use CPU to process them. So try setting to below very high to revert back to GPU processing it (or vice versa idk if the CPU is the problem)

I have 0% proof any of these work I don't even know how a computer runs tbh.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

4. Add it to the list of things that make no goddamned sense

Lowering water quality helps too (sometimes water runs underneath landscapes, which still needs to be rendered).

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

The greatest performance impact in DeI is actually a spacing issue. The reduced radii ratio allow the sprites to get closer to one another for the tight formations you see in DeI, but it has the added downside of allowing sprites to occupy the same space/pass through one another's formations. Since the AI can't do anything other than blob its units this becomes extremely problematic as 3/4 different unit formations occupy the same physical space. The lag often goes away if you redirect the camera from that part of the screen.

I have vastly improved performance since returning the radii to vanilla values and increasing the spacing. Added side effect of no more AI blobbing, since they physically can't. Down side is no more tightly packed formations but I feel this trade off is worth it seeing as the blobbing is so egregious. Got such a large performance increase in fact that I am experimenting with 400 man units.
    Last edited by McCarronXLD; January 08, 2019 at 07:50 PM.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    The greatest performance impact in DeI is actually a spacing issue. The reduced radii ratio allow the sprites to get closer to one another for the tight formations you see in DeI, but it has the added downside of allowing sprites to occupy the same space/pass through one another's formations. Since the AI can't do anything other than blob its units this becomes extremely problematic as 3/4 different unit formations occupy the same physical space. The lag often goes away if you redirect the camera from that part of the screen.

I have vastly improved performance since returning the radii to vanilla values and increasing the spacing. Added side effect of no more AI blobbing, since they physically can't. Down side is no more tightly packed formations but I feel this trade off is worth it seeing as the blobbing is so egregious. Got such a large performance increase in fact that I am experimenting with 400 man units.

Thanks for sharing that McCarronXLD until now i thought i was the only one to have realized this. Is there anyone else that has experienced this?

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Can we have a submod for this? I'd like to see it for myself. Why are you keeping this to yourself, let us in on your performance....
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Vanilla blobbed all the time, so I'm skeptical.

Just leaving this here to subscribe for this thread.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

DeI radii and spacing is important for balance and is only tied to it, it was never intended to fix blobbing. For example it changes effectiveness of pikes and hoplites.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by gamma64 View Post
    I dont know if i am the only one experiencing this but i have major performance decreasen in battle ever snice this recent update. i may not have the newest system, however before the update i could handle battles up to 4 full stacks more or less fine (fps dropped below 30 from time to time). now i am struggling with 2 (aka normal battle!). the weird thing is more often than not my fps are stable and i can move the camera just fine, but the units themselfes "lag". sometimes they look like they are moving in slow motion, sometimes the anymations look clipped. this was never the case before this most recent update. any ideas how to fix this? maybe something in the options menu?

if nothing can be done about this or its just me whos having these kind of problems, maybe someone can tell me if i can download the pre-update version of dei, as i adore this mod and everything went fine before the update.

gamma
    If you could easily fight a battle with 4 stacks before and now you can't even do one with 2 stacks, then my guess would be that your settings file got bugged. It happens to me now and then, as well. And especially when I try new mods, install new ones and delete the others.

The fix is relatively simple. Go to the opening post of this thread, which is an invaluable source of information on how to deal with the performance issues, and then follow precisely the instructions from the point nr 6. This has already saved me a couple of times while I was experiencing similar problems.

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

Same here,since the last update battles have been really sluggish,before 2vs2 armies no problem,now 1v1 i can really feel the fps drop.
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

Patrician

Keep in mind that last CA update really changed graphics and performance, for example I had to fully disable GEM as game became unplayable on campaign map, while I have no problems running more rescent games on max graphics. Without GEM but with Orbis Terrarum and not only my game looks amazing but runs better.

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    Can we have a submod for this? I'd like to see it for myself. Why are you keeping this to yourself, let us in on your performance....
    As KAM said changing the radii vastly changes the balance of the mod. I'm experimenting with it for an overhaul mod that significantly changes how Total War is played, but I wasn't planning on uploading it for Rome 2. Might do so as a DeI submod if there is enough interest for the kind of changes I'm implementing. I dunno if most people are interested in 1-2 hour long battles though.

Another really good way to boost performance is to reduce the level of detail ranges so that you only see units in their full detail when zoomed in very close. There is a mod for that on the workshop I believe called Performance Maker.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Patrician

Unless you found a way to mod AI, I don't see how 1-2 hour battles are even playable as AI will just do nothing if it just comes down to grindfest. Share some details in PM, I might help you out with understanding of engine and limitations.

Sure! It isn't really about changing how the AI plays as much as it changes how the game itself is played. I don't depend on the battle AI for a challenge. The challenge will come from proper allocation of resources and positioning. You are right in that it is a grindfest though. It's my preference.

the weird thing is more often than not my fps are stable and i can move the camera just fine, but the units themselfes "lag". sometimes they look like they are moving in slow motion, sometimes the anymations look clipped.
    This, most likely, has nothing to do with the graphics. Same happens in Empire TW siege battles because of crappy AI code, which can't handle breached walls. Unless you have antique CPU or less than 4 GB of RAM, your lags are probably caused by AI having a seizure. Could be some badly written script. Or it's a side effect of DeI changes to unit formations. Or CA broke something again.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Keep in mind that last CA update really changed graphics and performance, for example I had to fully disable GEM as game became unplayable on campaign map, while I have no problems running more rescent games on max graphics. Without GEM but with Orbis Terrarum and not only my game looks amazing but runs better.
    That's probably because of the new lighting and Anti Aliasing method introduced with ROTR

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Lowering water quality helps too (sometimes water runs underneath landscapes, which still needs to be rendered).
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    Ι wouldn't suggest that since it's pretty much changing core mod features.

gamma
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninSan View Post
    I think there is no performance problems related to any recent patch. Try to reduce Shadows, Unit Details and Trees quality (these 3 are the most demanding options in my experience after lots of tests).

Also check this thread for hints on how to improve performance:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...DEI-experience
    We have a stickied dedicated Performance thread guys as RoninSan mentioned.
    Feel free to post your issues there and I'll make sure to check them
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 10, 2019 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast