Thread: [Discussion] - Constitutional violation

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default [Discussion] - Constitutional violation

Gents, I think we have a serious dilemma here and what I'm talking about is zoner16's application for citizenship.

I know it's a bit late, but I do think it's time we need to come up with a solution that's acceptable for everyone and that's about how we in the Curia correct a Constitutional violation.

In the regulations and procedures for article I, it states that an applicant is accepted as a citizen when one has 60% non-abstaining votes, but does zoner16 has that. No, zoner16 is below 50% and I think zoner16's application should not passed as it actual happen.

I also think that The Constitution need an amendment and that's about to have a more clear definition for Support, Abstain, Opposed when the citizens casting their vote for a citizenship application.

I think a definition could be something like this.

Support = Yes, I support a citizenship application.
    Abstain = No, I cannot support this, but the applicant may be accepted later.
    Opposed = No, I cannot support this and the applicant need to have more constributions than it is presented in the application of citizenship before being accepted.

Note, that both Abstain and Opposed is a negative assessment of a citizenship application while Support is a positive assessment, so I suggest that an application for citizenship must have the majority of votes that support (not necessarily 60%, but the votes must be more than both Abstain and Opposed altogether) an applicant and not have the result that zoner16 had in the application for citizenship. Below is the result of the poll.

Yes 9 47.37%
    No 4 21.05%
    Abstain 6 31.58%

The topic title could be somewhat misleading, but that's not my intention for this discussion.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [Discussion] - Constitutional violation

I think you may have misunderstood. Zoner had 9 out of 13 non-abstaining votes, which is over 60%. Abstain doesn't mean 'No, I cannot support this, but the applicant may be accepted later' it means you've voted but abstained from making a decision either way.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

9 votes for and 4 against = 9/14 = .69

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Well, I think the current system is confusing as one cannot see any indications, based on the result, that the applicant has passed or not. Unless, the percentage of 41.37 is the same as over 60% of the non-abstaining votes.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I find 60% of non-abstaining votes to pretty clearly exclude all "Abstain" votes from the calculation. Also, the forum mechanic automatically highlights successful votes in green.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I don't think abstain should be viewed as a negative assessment either. Rather, it's neutral.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I don't think abstain should be viewed as a negative assessment either. Rather, it's neutral.
    Well, I also feel that Abstain is a neutral choice. Sometimes I don't know the applicant or I'm not aware of his work and I don't have the time to search it, so I choose to Abstain. It happens, not often tbh, but still...

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

As Ishkar noted, if you are viewing the Citizen Antechamber, or the Quaestiones Perpetuae, you will notice three things. First there's a vote listing on all polls that have poll options of (Yes, No, Abstain). Second, if the poll passed with two thirds of non-abstaining votes listing is highlighted in green, if it failed to achieve the 2/3rd majority required the vote listing is highlighted in red. Third, if you voted in the poll the option you voted for is bolded.

As an additional note, abstain is like a spoiled ballot. It is used to show a member is taking part in the process without actually choosing a side.
    Last edited by Squid; January 10, 2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein