Thread: [Morrowind] How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default [Morrowind] How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players

I thought to share what I know about how to setup Morrowind once it is installed.

First, make sure Morrowind is working without having issues by launching Morrowind then click on exit. That's required to initialed the Morrowind.ini file and generate the Warnings.txt, ProgramFlow.txt files.

This is what one need to install to make Morrowind less buggy.

• Download the Morrowind Code Patch (MCP) and extract the archive into the \Morrowind folder, it is important to do that otherwise it won't work properly, then launch the Morrowind Code Patch.exe file and follow the instructions on the screen. Do not select every patch, because I know at least one patch makes enchanted weapons partically useless and besides that patch also breaks the lore.

• This quick guide for MGE or MGE-XE has the download links.

• Download MPP 1.6.3 (I recommend using that and the filename is patch63b.7z) or MPP 1.6.4, not MPP 1.6.5d and MPP 1.6.6 (is the latest) as it will get several quests stuck in your journal for the rest of the game and those quests can only be finished by using the console in-game.

• One also need a tool to sort a loadorder in Morrowind and that's mlox, so download mlox (don't download the Python version, the exe version is what one need to use). Extract the archive into the Morrowind folder and go into the Morrowind\mlox folder then right click on the mlox.exe and send it as a shortcut to desktop.

• A decent mod manager is a must have mod user tool and a lot of people are using Wrye Mash and this is the latest Wrye Mash I've tested and I helped Sharlikran by testing the code at AFK Mods. Extract the archive into the Morrowind folder and go into the Morrowind\Mopy folder then right click on the Wrye Mash.exe file and send it as a shortcut to desktop.

• There are a lot of mods that's dirty and needs to be cleaned before starting a new game, otherwise strange things will happen and who wants to have a messed up modded game. No one, I suppose.
      So, download tes3cmd and extract the archive into the Morrowind\Data Files folder, required to be in the Data Files folder, and that's about it. Clean a selected mod in the Mods tab in Wrye Mash after reading the mods readme.

• Greatness7's Fixed Idle Animation is essential to use as it fixes the vanilla animation and here is more information about what the bug fix does. Extract the archive into the Morrowind\Data Files folder.

Now, I know this isn't required to do, but it is recommended to do it anyway as it has to do with the levelled lists for various of items that mods (usually mods with amulets, rings, clothes etc etc) will add to the game.

How to use the Mashed Lists.esp
    Once Wrye Mash is working then launch it and look in the Mods tab, shown in the first picture, for the Mashed Lists.esp and the picture also show how to merge levelled lists into the Mashed Lists.esp.

The Mashed Lists.esp only have one purpose and that's to handle levelled lists in-game regardless what mods one wants to use.

The purpose for this thread is to provide information for people here on TWC, instead of chasing around the internet for answers by either searching on Google or visit Nexus without knowning what to ask for.

Feel free to ask a question or two in this thread and I'll try to help the best I can.
    Last edited by Leonardo; November 24, 2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Additional information added.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.