Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] New Changing Traits System

Icon4 [PREVIEW] New Changing Traits System

Changing Traits System Preview

Traits

Overview
    Our general plan for traits is to have them be as immersive and dynamic as possible while still being responsive to events in the game. With the recent patch 20 changes, there are now 3 new trait slots that can be used. Like many players have commented in various feedback reports, the vanilla traits leave a lot to be desired because they seem to trigger at odd times and have little to do with in-game actions. I hope to change that as much as possible with the 3 new traits we will be introducing in the next mod update. These Changing Traits will respond to in game actions and events to better mold characters based on their actions and results. But, first, let me detail the general overview for all 6 of our traits:
    1. Political Ranks - These increase based on battles won and the age of the character. They can also be purchased at lower levels.
    2. Background/Education - These are set at game start but for the Romans they can morph into the Triumph trait if certain conditions are met. These will now also affect the starting level of the new Changing Traits.
    3. Personality - These are also set at game start but can change through the course of a campaign based on game events and actions. The ability for these traits to change was previously removed but it will be added back in for the next update.
    4-6. New Changing Traits - These are traits that will go up and down in level based on actions and situations in the campaign itself.

Changing Traits
    - The three new traits being added are divided into three types: Brawler, Commander and Intellectual. The Brawler trait represents a character's personal prowess in combat and physical presence, the Commander trait represents his logistical and strategic competence and the Intellectual trait represents his scholarly and governorship abilities.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- As you can see in the image above, each trait has specific effects that are tied to it. There are also certain triggers that will increase or decrease the trait, which are outlined and explained in the trait description.
    - As the trait improves, new effects will be unlocked. At a certain point the trait will be "established" and will no longer be decreased by in game actions. At the highest tiers, there are different versions of the traits depending on variables. For example, in the Commander tree your character may unlock Defensive Mastermind if he has won many defensive battles. Or, he could unlock Siege Prodigy if he has won lots of sieges. Here are some examples of various versions of higher tier traits.

- Various Background skills impact the starting level of these traits and help give the character a leg up in starting out on his journey up the tiers. For example, a character with a Strategist background would start out one tier higher than normal with the Commander trait. Also, certain background traits allow some of the higher tier options to unlock. As an example, a Barbarian character with the Farmer background can unlock Rural Scholar eventually, while one with the Miner background can unlock Industrial Magnate.

- Along with Background traits, other things like Skills and Libraries will also affect these new traits. For example, to progress as an Intellectual may require certain governor skills to be unlocked and the presence of a library or academy.

Other Changes
    - The Background traits have also had their images updated so that each one has a unique image. Now, you can tell a character's background at a glance rather than having to mouse over the icon.

Ancillaries & Agents
    - Along with changes to traits, some other changes are being made to Ancillaries and Agent skills.
    - Ancillaries have been moved to different slots. There are now 3 slot types: Equipment, Military Advisor and Civilian Advisor. In save games, some ancillaries may disappear but will reappear when the slot is changed the first time. The reason for this change was that one slot was overwhelmingly being used and so we decided to spread them out a bit better.
    - Agent skill effects have been changed and reworked. Many older and obsolete effects have been replaced with various new effects. A few of the vanilla changes have been incorporated but not all, because many of the new vanilla skills and abilities were simply overpowered.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Civis

Default Re: [PREVIEW] New Changing Traits System

Awesome! Looking forward to it

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice. Finally I will not get those three traits on every general. Untrustworthy , butcher, and drunken sailor.
    Good job as always

New DEI Preview? Yeah boi !

Looks very promising!

Loving it all. Finally my roman generals won't always end up as crazy psychopaths ����

Yes no more vanilla idle madness traits

Romans generals are crazy psychopaths. They deserve vanilla traits. Rufus must die first ( -2% replenish rate) . Will find nice pike for him.

Will it be save friendly ?

Thanks Dresden. Not to be that guy, but any rough estimates on when this will be implemented?

awesome work ! Just hoping it wont be too op too easily

They are powerhouses. City Governor/Rightfull S. will be obsolete.
    5% replenish is quite high if they come with standard traits +2% replenish (40+ units per turn).
    5% attack is probably placeholder. Judging by traits this numbers will be halved.
    Last edited by Sonny WiFiHr; September 13, 2018 at 05:34 PM.

Looks wonderful! Cannot wait to see this implemented!

Will anything like this be implemented for agents too or just generals/governors/statesmen?

This looks so ing cool! Really pumped for the RP elements this will add. I was using TTT long before I found out about DEI.

Amazing stuff. Amazing. CA should be modding YOUR games.

And just when I thought there couldn't be anything else to squeeze from Rome 2, DeI proves me wrong again. This looks amazing.

Looks great, definitely a nice touch to the system and will be interesting to see who develops what over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Standard Nerd View Post
    Will anything like this be implemented for agents too or just generals/governors/statesmen?
    For now its just generals. Maybe in the future we can add agents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basilius View Post
    Thanks Dresden. Not to be that guy, but any rough estimates on when this will be implemented?
    We will probably have a beta to test soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyan avspar View Post
    Will it be save friendly ?
    Yes

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Ohhh my... this looks so delicious!!! Truly a feast for all these role-playing, micro-managing madmen-players like myself!

This looks excellent! A deeper trait system was one of the things I hoped for the most, along with revamped Research trees.

Thanks to the DEI team for continually developing and enhancing R2TW from a game I nearly had refunded in disappointment after playing an hour, to the best and deepest experience I've had in almost 15 years of playing the TW series!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast