View Poll Results: Do you feel the TW series has gone downhill since Medieval II?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! All the newer Total War games suck!

43 19.55%
  • Yes. I like some of the newer games but the older games were better

110 50.00%
  • No. The new games are just fine.

59 26.82%
  • I love Failhammer. I'll buy whatever CA does regardless

8 3.64%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The TW series is dead. Everything after Medieval II sucks!

Default Re: The TW series is dead. Everything after Medieval II sucks!

Take a look at Steams game stats, most CA games are in the toilet .. where as CIV5 has been in the top 20 games played for YEARS ! I can imagine some CA-fan-boy screaming "Different game gene!" .. Rubbish, all are strategic war games. CA's games lack of replayability proves the poor quality of the games .. but new releases do sell . Very pretty, highly promoted does work. Very Sad, time to move elsewhere .. M&B etc
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Oh really? Civ 5+4 is twice first page with 17/13k players, Warhammer is second page 8.5k ,R2 is third page with 4.5k. Witcher 3 has 8.5 also, Skyrim 2x 8.5, TES also round 9..oh right but that is not strategy. So EU4 9 or Cities with almost 7....if that is toilet gargabe, that´s quite bold statement ;-) And once again, replaybility of Warhammer is way better than Shogun 2 for example.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Yes Total War is dead.

Reasons, they dont listen to fans or what people want, Removing stuff and calling fans dumb because they dont like "Streamlining'. Remember that comment?. Milking DLC on past fame of TW. My local game store didn't even bother stocking or advertising Britannia. Making people wait 3 years for a new game, Using a 15 year old Warscape engine when the old engine was probably better.

IN short CA built a massive legacy before M2 but since just sell Mediocre crap, some not even finished and buggy as hell, Remember Rome 2 and the 40% more budget than any other TW game, lol what . CA have not only forgotten how to build epic games anymore but have sold there soul to the new kids on the block who are easily satisfied with trash games.

One word "Development", start making anew engine and stop milking skin job .
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Total war might die..
    I recieved an email from Total War with this title: Total War: The latest, possibly the last, newsletter you'll get from us.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

As a long time fan of the Total War franchise, I thought I'd drop my 2 cents here. I started playing TW games in 2002 (good old days) with the first Medieval TW. Since then I only skipped Napoleon, as I disliked Empire and saw that Napoleon was basically the same product; having played almost all Total War games and being also a great fan and player of other strategy franchises (Civilization, liking especially Civ IV and the current Civ VI, and Paradox Interactive games since Europa Universalis II until now, especially Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II), I think I have some ground of comparison.

First off, I think Total War series isn't «dead» at all; but secondly, I also think that it really has to improve nowadays in some aspects in order to regain some of the luster which, in my opinion, it's true the series has lost after Medieval II - which was of course a great game in itself but keeps on going strong amog the community due to the mods.
    But it's not about modding that I'm talking here, it's about the games thelselves. I have no problems to say that I do enjoy Shogun 2, Rome 2 (in its present shape - important caveat - and playing it, it's true, with a dozen little mods), Attila and even the Warhammer titles, which are a different kind of beast (pun intended).

Having yet to try Thrones of Britannia, as much as I enjoy many of the more recent titles, I also have the feeling that the series is progressively being dumbed down and, related to this, progressively missing and lacking one massively important aspect in strategy games, particularly those games placed in a historical setting: immersion.
    Rome 2, at least at launch, was indeed the example of that. Again, I play other franchises and I can say that Paradox in particular still does a hell of a job in that regard even if it also has a DLC policy perhaps even more debatable than CA's.

Three Kingdoms TW will be a very important moment to see if CA can correct once and for all the errors in has been making in recent years and if they finally manage to evolve and move on from the present engine - which is not bad per se, Attila was/is a step forward from Rome II and unfortunately it looks like it's being abandoned, and the Warhammer games are enjoyable; it's the implementation of wrong design decisions which are the worst. Just my 2 cents, anyway.

Thirdly and finally, I have a question to ask to those who might know the answer; just out of curiosity, and only out of curiosity, what are/were the games in which Jack Lusted was involved? I know he was in Empire, Napoleon (?), Rome 2 at launch, and now Thrones. Is he still involved in the recent content and patches for Rome 2 and was he a designer of other games as well (Shogun 2, Attila)?

Cheers to all!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Total war might die..
    I recieved an email from Total War with this title: Total War: The latest, possibly the last, newsletter you'll get from us.
    Or again it seams I am unwellcomed in their Official Site because as many times i tried to log in even by changing password i hade a message in the log in (not active) sub message.
    It seams critisism is not wellcomed to CA/SEGA.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I mean everyone is hoping on 3 kings now but its the same engine . same . You will be getting a skin job at best. They have this rock, paper scissors thing but it honestly gets boring fast, 3 kings needs rock, paper, scissors, knife, sword, stick, bow etc if its the same animation engine. You get what I'm saying, a more diverse TW, now i will come to point that Navies have been removed from TW, that's not diverse!.

If i told you Rome 2 would not have Navies 15 years ago you would have laughed at me. They been cutting there own throats long ago trying to be like other studios with less is more bs and i dont feel sorry for them.

TW RIP

3 kings needs 50+ specific units and no DLC, 40 slots a army, return of dedicated Navies and 64 bit engine. Getting too old waiting for some evolution from the knuckle draggers ffs. make a good game and i pay $150, I remember shogun 2 battles, 4 stacks vs 4 stacks, 15000 vs 15000 soldiers. it needs to be epic.

TW RIP

Rome 2 used TW3 Engine (Warcape graphics engine) 32 bit.
    3K is using the same bit with a 64-bit engine.
    It is my understanding that WH only barely used the 64 bit, so there is a great of room to grow.

I really doubt that CA will ever make the games as complex as Paradox. They are not going to have a game with everything.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Someone said in this forum or probably in Steam I don't remember and I can't find right now, that Creative Assembly doesn't care much about criticism because they do not have competence out there and they can afford everything since there is a monopoly in this market. I would like more competence as well but I want you to remember another saga: Scourge of War. In my humble opinion, those games deserve more attention, but sadly they are not as popular as Total War saga. I have Take Command 2nd Manassas, Gettysburg 150th Anniversary and Waterloo with a couple of DLCs. Graphics could not be as amazing as Total War games but I rather prefer the AI over Empire and Napoleon, AI is so good... I love it, can form a proper line formation and is very challenging. They are overprized, Gettysburg 150th anniversary cost me around 80$ but worth money paid. Scourge of War is not Arcade, is more complex and need a fairly difficult learning curve and making tutorials, but I think worth it. I am struggling with ACW mod for Empire Total War to have a decent gameplay against AI because AI suicide his troops in melee combats while I shoot them, this is what I dislike from Empire Total War. For this reason I think Scourge of War is a good alternative.

Now, crucify me.

For me Total War are just games and my complains are basically that I need a NASA computer to play some of them: Attila Total War specially. Not everyone has enough money to spend on a computer and this is a drawback for me. If I look for realism I am better with documentaries, films and books. My favourite option is Osprey publishing books, they are very engaging.

I seriously doubt CA would say anything like that.

The Scourge of War series seems very interesting. It is not without its critics. I have it in my list of games to buy however.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

To me the elephant in the room is Warhammer (I know many of you are fans and will disagree). The game where unit and faction "variety" in a fantasy setting substitutes for everything we'd like to see in a military strategy series. It's all bling, don't need a deep campaign, don't need competent AI. All are satisfied by endless, mind-numbing, variety. And by God, it sells well, especially the DLC. This feeds a services business model and is an easy and lucrative way forward for CA and Total War. But we should be clear it's a mortal threat to the historical series, more than any other single factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    To me the elephant in the room is Warhammer (I know many of you are fans and will disagree). The game where unit and faction "variety" in a fantasy setting substitutes for everything we'd like to see in a military strategy series. It's all bling, don't need a deep campaign, don't need competent AI. All are satisfied by endless, mind-numbing, variety. And by God, it sells well, especially the DLC. This feeds a services business model and is an easy and lucrative way forward for CA and Total War. But we should be clear it's a mortal threat to the historical series, more than any other single factor.
    LOL, where are you getting this from?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    For me Total War are just games and my complains are basically that I need a NASA computer to play some of them: Attila Total War specially. Not everyone has enough money to spend on a computer and this is a drawback for me. If I look for realism I am better with documentaries, films and books. My favourite option is Osprey publishing books, they are very engaging.
    I have quite decent pc, two years old (gtx1080Ti, i7-6700K around 4.2GHz, 16 GB ram), it is not Nasa pc but Attila is really suffering from bad optimalization. But the same is true for siege lag/fps dropdown in Empire. Simply as AI start moveing around walls,breaches in walls FPS goes donw... Contrary to that Warhammer 1 and especially 2 are running on max details smoothly as nothing else. We will see down the line with 3K. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    But this variety in units/factions and mechanics is also greatly helping to replaybility of the game! Last year I finished the last campaign run in Shogun 2 for achievements. Almost all factions were playing identical. Of course you have some small bonuses here and there but not so significant that the very same army recipe cannot work. For me it is very refreshing to have different tools, unit roster, spells, heroes to play.

Interensting fact. I´m quite Warhammer fact and CA is doing great work. As we usually bash CA that TWs are not as much historical as possible, Warhammer is really close to lore. :-)

Actually I would argue that you need little better AI. In history games you have general as high value targer, infantry, cavalry, missiles, maybe some artillery, maybe some skirmishers. In Warhammer unit size/monster size is bigger factor, you have all possible variation in size and combat role. High value targets like Mages versus combat heroes which are almost impossible to get down.

When i´m looking on DLC evolution in TWs, I can clearly see progress. Look at early Empire DLC...just a few units,blatant mini campaign. Norsca, Tomb Kings that is one of the best content vs price we can get. Besides saying lets have no DLC, what different model they can try? Like EA? Lootboxes? Looking at Battlefront 2, Destiny 2......and other games. I´m quite happy with CA´s approach to DLCs. I understand your view on DLC and older days. Don´t think we will ever get it back.....as I´m also part of the problem. I can justify for myself paying the money. I can do the same for Witcher, for Kingdom Come but not for many other games like Battlefront and almsot all Star Wars (also huge fan till Last Jedi )

That´s actually good no? With Warhammer we got plenty new people. I have already seen some who have never heard about TWs and are trying it. So trying TW Tolkien, Warcraft...might be good break. To refresh IP. This Warhammer break is actually one of the best ideas they ever have...
    Last edited by Daruwind; May 26, 2018 at 12:14 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Everyone's personal taste of gamming is respected.
    But we lose the essense of TW games.
    The revolutionary was not the strat_map and autocalculated battles but the feeing of real battles and the feelinng that player is participaing in to them.
    From Shogun I to Shogun II one way or an other that was enjoyable.
    I recently made a Quiz..That quiz proved that most TW players play their games on the map and auto resolve battles. But then why bather to buy TW game if you play only on map when there are smarter stradegy game on that field?
    Rome I WAS a real brake through, hundreds of soldiers and animalls against walls in forrests on mountaisn etc! Everything made you feel that you are in that battle.
    M2TW lost some good Rome I features but the feeling of being inside the battle was even better!
    I do not know what warscape engine is but what i know despite the better graphics , units did not colide properly, the speed of movement did not allow player enjoy a battle within unless he redused time!!!
    Why i still like M2TW? Because somehow it has more "natural" animations, the soldiers that fight look like fighting and while battle still running in normal time you can enjoy snapshots like these!

Rome II and Attila soldiers look like fighting from a distance... Shogun II DID NOT have such an issue though!

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

This is something I posted in another forums and this one as well but I admit is obsessing me. Have you experienced a worse performance in some Total Wars? Besides Attila, I have been experiencing a worse performance and I feel is more unstable than other Total Wars: Empire Total War. I made a video of Isandlwana battle with Orient mod for Napoleon Total War: 1800 british vs 19200 zulu, depicting Isandlwana battle. It's true I had lag but I could play it. I can't play Empire Total War with more than 5k units per side without lag and sometimes micro stuttering, depending on the mod I am using, sometimes even crashing to desktop. My computer specs surpasses by far the requirements of Empire Total War, a 2009 game right? Alienware 17 R3, CPU i7-6700HQ, RAM 16 GB DDR4, GPU Nvidia GTX 970M, I have been experiencing the same in other desktop computers as well. I find Napoleon and Shogun 2 more stable and I can always handle more units with less lag and stuttering than in Empire Total War in two different computers. Have you experienced the same in Empire Total War? Why I can run better Napoleon and Shogun 2?
    Last edited by Incendio; May 29, 2018 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Misspellings

Clint_Eastwood's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Total war might die..
    This has nothing to do with the Total war this is in respect to the new GDPR laws that are in Europe. If you opted into there mail you will continue to receive there email marketing stuff otherwise you will receive no further communication. hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_Eastwood View Post
    This has nothing to do with the Total war this is in respect to the new GDPR laws that are in Europe. If you opted into there mail you will continue to receive there email marketing stuff otherwise you will receive no further communication. hope that helps
    You missed my other post then...It seams that despite I apllied for a new password i can no longer Log in TW Official site. That means i am a persona non grata for CA/SEGA that does not tolerate critisism in its own home. Also they blocked me from commends in their Facebook page. I am officialy an "enemy" of CA/SEGA because TRUTH always hurt and its hard to have someone pointing the finger tarwards it.

Your account is fine, it has not been banned. Since you haven't logged in since 2016, perhaps you forgot the password or the email you had used? Just a reminder, following the reformatting of their forums, to log in, you need to type the password and the email address, not the username. If nothing works, then I suggest contacting Grace CA in reddit. I also had some technical problems with my account and she solved them immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Your account is fine, it has not been banned. Since you haven't logged in since 2016, perhaps you forgot the password or the email you had used? Just a reminder, following the reformatting of their forums, to log in, you need to type the password and the email address, not the username. If nothing works, then I suggest contacting Grace CA in reddit. I also had some technical problems with my account and she solved them immediately.
    My friend....I sent a message with my proper email to change password because "i lost" previus one.
    Automaticaly arrives in my an email with a link to follow to reset my password.
    Reset my password and the message that opos up says "Password changed succefully". I log in with my new password and my PROPER email but log in denied with a red inscription ( not active). I can not even use my username because the log in "engine" holds it to my previus account. Its not the 1st time i reste passwords. Since Firefox made a patch before 57 version a bug deleted all saved passwords. So i retreaved them all succefully and i know the proccedure.
    Exept this one. Also I was BANNED from Facebook TW official page , I AM NOT ALLOWED to make comments in there. So ....how do you know that my account is fine?