Thread: Far Cry series

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Far Cry series

I have all of them now, 1 - 4. Just except FC-Primal, which won't be bought by me, probably.

Playing FC3 with Ziggy's mod (Nexus), the Hardcore edition and FC3 standard difficulty is set in the meantime to Master (highest).
    I don't use the Coop content, which might be a mistake, but the mentioned mod does not work with muliplayer, it's single-player.

FC4 standard is just purchased and installed.
    What are experiences with the FC4 DLCs? Reviews are merely bad, so i hesitate.
    And mods (Nexus)? Any recommendations, which fe. go into direction of Ziggy's excellent mod (realism, gameplay and challenge plus graphics/UI way improved over vanilla)?
    I watched already at Nexus for FC4, i'm still not sure, which mod would fit to me - perhaps i have to try some before i go firm with one (overhaul mod, not just a weapon-mod or something small), but good mod experience-recommendations are very welcome.

Btw., FC 1 and 2 are still completely untouched by me (because as of yet, i'm under the impression along several reviews, that FC3 is way superior to the former releases).

Opinions to my points and any fitting contents for the FC series are welcome in this thread.
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 04, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Far Cry series

Primal is such a fun game...I implore you to try it. The setting is fantastic. Imo the worst part about it is it is tough to get into the story and the characters, which is usually pretty important to me. But luckily how fun the game is more than makes up for it.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

FarCry 1 is the best for me because it's not made by Ubisoft. Everything Ubisoft makes is mediocre at best after AC2 Revelations.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Primal is such a fun game...I implore you to try it. The setting is fantastic. Imo the worst part about it is it is tough to get into the story and the characters, which is usually pretty important to me. But luckily how fun the game is more than makes up for it.
    I got FC4 for free with Unity, and really enjoyed it. I have my eye on primal, but I'm not sure to get it. In FC4 I like the range of weapons you have, from heavy machine guns, snipers and flamethrowers, along with things like your wing suit and chopper. isnt it more restricted?

Also the Nepal setting was great, not so sure about 10000 bc

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Far Cry Primal is nothing but a reskin of Far Cry 4. The map is identical, the gameplay is identical and the story is very very similar. If you liked 4 chances are you will also like Primal just as much.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Yeah I've seen the map comparison. But apparently there are things like explosives?

Still, the weapon arsenal you would get is pretty limited compared to FC 3 and 4 no?

Patrician Artifex

I take it you guys merely play FC games without a mod?

Well, i can speak there only from FC3, as of yet, but it would be a mistake to not have one of the good, or just the imo. best mod onboard (as mentioned in OP). Vanilla is there way inferior.

Technically, mod application with FC games, at least under the engine applied since 3 is indeed a unique item: One can have only one mod file, or one is able to work with the according (difficult to apply) modding-tool, merging different mods.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Love far Cry 2 with Dylans Realism mod (I don't use vehicles in the center of map and use the bus) tends to be my fps of choice. So I tend to travel on foot quite abit.
    Got a love hate relationship with with Far Cry 1. Love the Island of Dr Moreau feel to it all but hate the game differculty...

If it wasn't for Uplay I'd get far Cry 3 just for Blood Dragon.

Original Far Cry was by far the best. Series took a dip after that I believe.

Someone mentioned Ubisoft started developing the other ones...makes sense now.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I never played Far Cry 1 but Far Cry 2 is miles above all the rest - 3 or 4 or Primal -- and yes I've played all those. Far Cry 2 is a game for adults in a setting for adults, 3&4 are UBI AAA blockbusters for the teen/youth crowd.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I never played Far Cry 1 but Far Cry 2 is miles above all the rest - 3 or 4 or Primal -- and yes I've played all those. Far Cry 2 is a game for adults in a setting for adults, 3&4 are UBI AAA blockbusters for the teen/youth crowd.
    I'm not that drastic like you, with my current Far Cry experience and conclusion (didn't play 1 and 2, ... just have them in the Steam library, untouched as of yet ).

But ... here my kind of review for FC4, in particular ... pretty negative:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15346707

Is FC2 different (better aka more senseful) in this regard?
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 22, 2017 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Far Cry 2 is a game for adults in a setting for adults,
    Indeed it's still a good looking and atmospheric game set in a morally grey world.
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; June 23, 2017 at 03:50 PM.

Patrician Artifex

For now i have enough of FC's absurd game concept. Guess, i'll try FC2 some day because many praise that as the best of the sewries, just to get myself a picture, but then certainly with an overhaul mod as well.
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 23, 2017 at 04:42 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Far Cry 2 sucks and doesn't even have real factions.

"Oh our faction doesn't know you are on this mission so they will shoot at you too!" is code for "we were too lazy to program two distinct factions so every checkpoint is filled with generic enemies"
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

FC 2 would be a much much better game if tyhe guards stopped respawning all the time or there were fewer checkpoints.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    FC 2 would be a much much better game if tyhe guards stopped respawning all the time or there were fewer checkpoints.
    Everyone hates you in FC2 -- you play as a lone gun for hire, you work for both sides in a extremely dangerous environment. All checkpoints can be avoided by crouching and sneaking around them, or even better planning your routes, frequently consulting your map, and using the bus.

Except for when there is no bus, a mission requires to travel though several in a row and you don't want to spend the rest of the year getting from one of the map to the other on foot. I get that you are a merc bla bla bla but nobody knows you. They shouldn't start firing at you because you simply pass through in a crappy car, you're just a random civvie. They let all the other 50 or so mercs who hang around the country pass through with no problem. And at the very least if I am doing a job for a faction the people in those checkpoints should allow me to pass unmolested while doing the job. "There's this critical mission on which on which the entire war and our very ideology is dependent. Let's ram the guy doing said mission off the road and into a crocodile pit. That should win us points with the big boss". Heck even a pass or a disguise would work. You get stopped show them the stamp that you are working for them and move on.

Worse yet when both factions chase you together, like they were not involved in any civil war or anything. Nope. Get the funny looking white guy, we can fight later. And all this wouldn't even be that bad if the check points weren't placed at 15 meter intervals or patrols from said checkpoints roamed about like greeks at troy.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 25, 2017 at 05:08 PM.

In near 200 hours of FC 2 I've yet to challenge myself and go through a rocket launcher, mortar and explosives only run... I always go for the stealthy play through Love the MP5 it's a thing of beauty
    I just wish there was a proper sequal to FC 2

Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    I just wish there was a proper sequal to FC 2
    You can say that again. Beginning with FC3, the series has devolved into cartoony portrayals of people and environments, superimposed on Ubisoft's generic things-to-do map. FC5 looks to be more of the same.

While FC2 had some problems, it took its subject matter and setting seriously; it was insanely atmospheric, and delivered many amazing moments. Here's a good recent article explaining why this game is so good, and so important still:

http://http://www.techradar.com/news...reak-the-rules

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Except for when there is no bus, a mission requires to travel though several in a row and you don't want to spend the rest of the year getting from one of the map to the other on foot.
    Some of my most memorable moments in the game are trying to get back to Mike's Bar or Pala from a mission with low health and no syringes.
    Last edited by Huberto; June 28, 2017 at 08:13 AM.