Thread: Not understanding massive negative food shortages and self destructing farms late game

Druout's Avatar Libertus

Default Not understanding massive negative food shortages and self destructing farms late game

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I have invested heavily in supply depots, farms, cattle, fish ports, etc. across my empire; however in two playthroughs the result is the same. Late game I go from around +70 food to -150 and despite disbanding armies, using import food, and building new food buildings I cannot return to a positive food supply. Also for some reason about 30% of my food buildings destroy themselves every turn late game. 

Default Re: Not understanding massive negative food shortages and self destructing farms late game

I have never heard of this before. I can say the food system itself is separate from then supply system. Also some buildings can be damaged by foreign armies

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Druout's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Not understanding massive negative food shortages and self destructing farms late game

Like I said it only occurs late game; probably about 30-40 hours in. Reducing armies to a handful has little effect on the situation; I disbanded about 7 armies and 3 fleets (leaving 5 armies and 1 fleet) food rose up to -92 and the next turn fell back to -128.

The only reason I know of for food buildings being destroyed is that your regions are out of supplies, so armies in the regions start foraging - and they damage the food buildings if that goes on too long, I think.

I can also remember from back in 1.1 that I had seemingly self-destroying farms in the late-game. I'm pretty sure there haven't been armies starving and foraging in those region.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    The only reason I know of for food buildings being destroyed is that your regions are out of supplies, so armies in the regions start foraging - and they damage the food buildings if that goes on too long, I think.
    This is a correct reason.

Druout's Avatar Libertus

Guess I'll have to find a no food mod or something, because the imbalance is such that even with 30% of my buildings being dedicated to food production and with 0 armies it still sends me in the negative food wise. Like once that starts there's no recovering from it, with a constant stream of destroyed agricultural buildings (even without armies present). I didn't seem to run into this issue with vanilla, but maybe it was something in a patch recently or something I don't know. Just makes the game unplayable for me in the long run.

Some regions are more fertile than others. Some time you have to take your armies out of that devasted region for a lot of turns so it can recover. Yes, it is a challenge.

You may want to look into the supply system manual and learning the system, because its not about the food mechanic in the base game. Its a completely different system.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Are you certain you don't have other/older mods impacting your game? What you describe is quite weird, destroyed buildings with no army present et cetera. I assume you hovered food number to get the supply information and made sure there were no hidden enemy armies eating your snacks.

Not seen anything like this, ever. Just saying.

Edit: Also had a scary thought; you're not leaving a bunch of armies standing in a single region for extended periods of time, thinking food alone will cover you? Because as Dresden says, that's a separate thing.

Please post a save game. I would like to see this.

I experienced this today.

It seems when a region hits negative supply (to the point where it can cause desertion), the income drops to zero and there are massive food penalties incurred. In my campaign, I unfortunately have a military access pact with the Arverni, and they like to run armies in, around, and sometimes sit them within a particular region I own. Every couple of turns the province income turns to zero and my food goes haywire - the solution is to exempt the region from taxes. Thus far the supply system is great but is also immensely frustrating with the way the AI is not affected at all (understandable, as the AI does not account for it), but your own allies do more damage than good. The Arverni decided to join my war against the Lusitanians and marched into Spain with me, carrying 4 full stacks. They devastated multiple regions (and my own once I had conquered them) by simply occupying them and then not moving. This has made it exceptionally difficult for me to move my legions around and/or recoup after battles, as me and my ally have split Spain essentially down the middle, with only the bottom left corner of Spain left (Lusitanian's capital) to conquer.

I'm around ~turn 150 and still haven't unlocked Marian reforms yet. I'm about halfway to Imperium 5 .. takes a while to get out of 4 it seems. I play too slow lol

Years later and retried the mod and same issue even right off the bat getting hit with -15 food on turn 2; such a shame because I liked the other aspects of the mod but this makes it unuseable.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

No faction has -15 food by turn 2.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod