View Poll Results: Should there be portals for travel north, south, east and west of the safe zone?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 39.39%
  • No

18 54.55%
  • I don't know

1 3.03%
  • Abstain

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portals in the cardinal directions?

Default Portals in the cardinal directions?

Some people are complaining about travel time and would prefer a smaller map. Although we discussed map size before launch and agreed on 8,000 radius, there is a way to reduce travel time. We could have four portals in the north, south, east and west quadrants of the map that lead to and from the safe zone. The Nether won't be developed with roads and railways for a while, so this will make travel easier until that happens, as well as for those factions that don't want to connect to a nether network.

If we have portals, some people will use them during combat despite that being against the rules, which will create a small increase in moderation's workload. It may be worth it, however.

Mike92574's Avatar Tiro
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Portals in the cardinal directions?

I'm all for polls but I'd rather they didn't go to the safe zone. It'd be far better if they went to a pvp zone like they did in Map 3. That way at least there'd be a bit of danger when trying to travel, as there was on map 3, which improved the amount of conflict.

That sounds like a cool idea we could try. If it makes travel too hard for smaller factions, we can always put them in the safe zone instead.
    Last edited by 123brogan; July 17, 2016 at 01:23 PM.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

I would rather we wait before thinking about introducing portals. Server hasn't even been up for 24 continuous hours yet, people will adjust and boats are ridiculously fast already. You shouldn't be able to get from east to west in a heartbeat by using portals.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Nerva's Avatar Ordinarius

I owuld strongly avocate for this if we implement new features in the safe zone (like shops, arenas, etc.). Otherwise Kats is right, boats are finally working properly.

crossjon's Avatar Campidoctor

If abusing portals to the SZ is such a concern, just make the portal hub a little outside the SZ and combat enabled. People can still easily reach the SZ, but can't abuse portals to hide in war like most maps we had portals (map 1 was the worst for this). I'd like to see that personally, makes travel much easier without causing issues in war.

any idea why i can't vote in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorshammer1996 View Post
    any idea why i can't vote in this thread?
    you need 25 posts, I think.

I prefer No, but if it passes its ok. Please implement Mike and Crossjon's enhancement though.

The gateways would be at +/- 4000 on the zero axes, right?

I suspect they would be a bit further out, around 5000 on the axes.

ohh ok thanks red

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I like the idea, along with a stipulation that you can't build you base within x amount of distance to the portals so you can't just camp them and prey on travelers with impunity.

It'll definitely help with people going to spawn to shop/trade/meet up etc..

i do seem to recall an issue from previous servers aswell that people started walling off the portals... i would like to see a stipulation preventing such action aswell

Mike92574's Avatar Tiro
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by FrostySOTF View Post
    I like the idea, along with a stipulation that you can't build you base within x amount of distance to the portals so you can't just camp them and prey on travelers with impunity.

It'll definitely help with people going to spawn to shop/trade/meet up etc..
    On the third map we played on there was a large buffer zone around the portals preventing building. It was theoretically possible to wall off the entire buffer zone but it never happened as you'd annoy far too many factions.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

Would be pretty cool to have "Points of Interests" that factions would actively want control over though. Could possibly make for fun wars and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I would rather we wait before thinking about introducing portals. Server hasn't even been up for 24 continuous hours yet, people will adjust and boats are ridiculously fast already. You shouldn't be able to get from east to west in a heartbeat by using portals.

QFT

I would really like to shops in the safe zone and portals would be a great way to facilitate trade. That or I'm sure with a proper amount of investment the Architects league could set up a public nether rail system.
    shameless plug is shameless.

Apparently I'm too much of a scrub to have a vote, so just add 1 to the "yes" vote on my behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy With No Imagination View Post
    QFT
    A straight road or railway through the Nether will still be faster. The maximum number of blocks anyone will ever have to travel through the Nether is less than 2000. The average number of blocks you'll have to run when using portals is greater than that. I don't think portals will be the preferred method of travel for established factions who integrate themselves into the Nether.

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s1lentchaos View Post
    with a proper amount of investment the Architects league could set up a public nether rail system.
    shameless plug is shameless.
    I like yer style, I would also be willing to help with that, once I'm established.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast