Thread: Love the MOD!!! - A little advice/help please

Default Love the MOD!!! - A little advice/help please

First off I would like to say that I absolutely love this mod. I've played all the classical/roman era mods available since RTW and I feel like this is the one with the vision that I like most. With that being said, I do have one thing that I like to add into pretty much every mod... a warrior trait.

Welp, I've never had any issues with adding this trait until now, and I'd usually be able to solve the crash problems on my own with the log report, but it crashes with an Unspecified Error message, and isn't giving me a report. I did figure out that it must be the EDCT file because the game runs fine when I put the original file back in, but then crashes again when I put the modded version in. The trait I'm adding is very simple and is intended to give some of the AI factions a chance to gain some ubber-bad-ass generals, and also to give me an occasional warrior general (when they don't die trying to get the trait).

I'll put the code I have below. I apologize for the lack of a log report, but like I said, it isn't giving me one. The game only crashes when I have the modded version of the EDCT in the directory, but not if I have the vnv file modded. Those are the only two files that I messed with.

Specifics: game crashes when I start a new campaign, unspecified error, no log, runs fine with vnv file modded but not EDCT file modded

CODE:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trait Warrior
    Characters family
    NoGoingBackLevel 3

Level Warrior
    Description Warrior_desc
    EffectsDescription Warrior_effects_desc
    Epithet Warrior_epithet_desc
    Threshold 1

Effect TroopMorale 1
    Effect Authority 1
    Effect HitPoints 2
    Effect LocalPopularity 1
    Effect BodyguardValour 1
    Effect PersonalSecurity 1

Level MightyWarrior
    Description MightyWarrior_desc
    EffectsDescription MightyWarrior_effects_desc
    Epithet MightyWarrior_epithet_desc
    Threshold 3

Effect TroopMorale 2
    Effect Authority 2
    Effect HitPoints 4
    Effect LocalPopularity 2
    Effect BodyguardValour 2
    Effect PersonalSecurity 2
    Effect Loyalty -2

Level LegendaryWarrior
    Description LegendaryWarrior_desc
    EffectsDescription LegendaryWarrior_effects_desc
    Epithet LegendaryWarrior_epithet_desc
    Threshold 9

Effect TroopMorale 4
    Effect Authority 4
    Effect HitPoints 12
    Effect LocalPopularity 6
    Effect BodyguardValour 4
    Effect PersonalSecurity 6
    Effect Loyalty -6

Trigger battle6
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition GeneralNumKillsInBattle > 13
    and GeneralHPLostRatioinBattle > 0.3

Affects Warrior 1 Chance 40

Trigger battle7
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition GeneralNumKillsInBattle > 21
    and GeneralHPLostRatioinBattle > 0.4

Affects Warrior 2 Chance 45

Trigger battle8
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition GeneralNumKillsInBattle > 34
    and GeneralHPLostRatioinBattle > 0.5

Affects Warrior 3 Chance 50

VNV CODE:
    ¬---------------

{Warrior_desc}This man is widely known to be a fierce warrior on the battlefield.
    {Warrior_effects_desc}+1 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +2 to general's hitpoints, +1 Authority, +1 to popularity (improves public order), +1 to bodyguard valour, +1 to personal security (improves the chances of foiling assassination attempts)
    {Warrior_epithet_desc}the Warrior
    {Warrior}Warrior
    {MightyWarrior_desc}This man has proven his might in battle. He is now a well renowned warrior known across the land.
    {MightyWarrior_effects_desc}+2 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +4 to general's hitpoints, +2 Authority, +2 to popularity (improves public order), +2 to bodyguard valour, +2 to personal security (improves the chances of foiling assassination attempts), -2 Loyalty
    {MightyWarrior_epithet_desc}the Mighty Warrior
    {MightyWarrior}Mighty Warrior
    {LegendaryWarrior_desc}This man is undefeated in combat, feared by his enemies, and a complete badass! The people consider him a living legend and he is loved by all. If he is not ruler by now...
    {LegendaryWarrior_effects_desc}+4 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +12 to general's hitpoints, +4 Authority, +6 to popularity (improves public order), +4 to bodyguard valour, +6 to personal security (improves the chances of foiling assassination attempts), -6 Loyalty
    {LegendaryWarrior_epithet_desc}the Invincible
    {LegendaryWarrior}Legendary Warrior

¬---------------

XML CODE:

<traits>
    <!--Section 0.0 - Warrior Traits-->

<trait id="Warrior">
    <name>Warrior</name>
    <desc><p>This man is widely known to be a fierce warrior on the battlefield.</p></desc>
    <effects><p>+1 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +2 to general's hitpoints, +1 Authority, +1 to popularity (improves public order), +1 to bodyguard valour, +1 to personal security (improves the chances of foiling assassination attempts)</p></effects>
    <epithet>the Warrior</epithet>
    </trait>

<trait id="MightyWarrior">
    <name>Mighty Warrior</name>
    <desc><p>This man has proven his might in battle. He is now a well renowned warrior known across the land.</p></desc>
    <effects><p>+2 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +4 to general's hitpoints, +2 Authority, +2 to popularity (improves public order), +2 to bodyguard valour, +2 to personal security (improves the chances of foiling assassination attempts), -2 Loyalty</p></effects>
    <epithet>the Mighty Warrior</epithet>
    </trait>

<trait id="LegendaryWarrior">
    <name>Legendary Warrior</name>
    <desc><p>This man is undefeated in combat, feared by his enemies, and a complete badass! The people consider him a living legend and he is loved by all. If he is not ruler by now...</p></desc>
    <effects><p>+4 Morale for all troops on the battlefield, +12 to general's hitpoints, +4 Authority, +6 to popularity (improves public order), +4 to bodyguard valour, +6 to personal security (improves the chances of foiling assassination attempts), -6 Loyalty</p></effects>
    <epithet>the Invincible</epithet>
    </trait>

<!--Section 1.0 - Primary Traits-->

Thank you again for the great MOD, all your hard work is appreciated. Oh and thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me some guidance.

My best,
    Turtle
    Last edited by loga_turtle; April 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM.

Default Re: Love the MOD!!! - A little advice/help please

Did you delete the map.rwm and start a new campaign?

The validation settings are switched on, so unless you generate a new map.rwm and new saves, the game won't load.

Yup. I almost thought that would work because after I deleted the map.rwm file and started a new campaign it had a delay instead of crashing right away. But, alas, it did crash with the same unspecified error message.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Quote Originally Posted by loga_turtle View Post
    Yup. I almost thought that would work because after I deleted the map.rwm file and started a new campaign it had a delay instead of crashing right away. But, alas, it did crash with the same unspecified error message.
    Loga i am away from my home but i will check it when i will have time.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

And you used Notepad++ or some other proper editor to make the changes, not Windows Notepad?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    And you used Notepad++ or some other proper editor to make the changes, not Windows Notepad?
    Aaaaaah... I am using Windows Notepad. This is the first time I've heard of having to use something else. I'm installing Notepad++ right now. Why does that make a difference? Could that be the cause for my crashes?

Aaaaaah... I am using Windows Notepad. This is the first time I've heard of having to use something else. I'm installing Notepad++ right now. Why does that make a difference? Could that be the cause for my crashes?
    Windows Notepad corrupts files regularly, by randomly inserting invisible characters that can't be read by the game engine.

We only use Notepad++ for this reason. Plus it has all sorts of other useful functionality.

Windows Notepad corrupts files regularly, by randomly inserting invisible characters that can't be read by the game engine.

We only use Notepad++ for this reason. Plus it has all sorts of other useful functionality.
    Cool. I noticed the handy color scheme. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to redo everything from scratch using ++ and see if that makes a difference.

I have another question if you can answer it. I have the cfg file as described in the install instructions, but I'm not getting an error log. Do you know why that might be happening?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I had to learn this the hard way a long time ago while modding my own versions of DAC and MOS for TATW. Notepad++ is a life saver!

Cool. I noticed the handy color scheme. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to redo everything from scratch using ++ and see if that makes a difference.

I have another question if you can answer it. I have the cfg file as described in the install instructions, but I'm not getting an error log. Do you know why that might be happening?
    You have to create an empty logs folder in proper place first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    You have to create an empty logs folder in proper place first.
    Did that. I noticed there wasn't one when I went to find it the first time, so created one to see if that would work... unfortunately it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I had to learn this the hard way a long time ago while modding my own versions of DAC and MOS for TATW. Notepad++ is a life saver!
    It didn't seem to make a difference when I redid everything using Notepad ++. Is there anything in the code that you can see that I have off?

My last resort when I can't see anything apparently wrong is View>Show Symbol>Show All Characters - sometimes random stuff has sneaked in, like Tabs instead of spaces.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

this may help http://superuser.com/questions/40991...ine-in-notepad
    all txt files need to be in "cr lf"
    just use notepad++ and change the format to the correct format