Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why 272BC?

Default Why 272BC?

Out of curiosity, why was 272BC chosen as the starting date for EBII? I know it's got to start somewhere, but anything in particular make that the date that was chosen? I tried looking it up and Rome defeated the samnites and there were some successor state wars, but nothing stands out to me.

Default Re: Why 272BC?

Maybe that's it. Calm before the storm.

Roman control of all of the Italian peninsula occurs in 272BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Maybe that's it. Calm before the storm.
    I think thats exactly it.
    Some mods try to use an earlier date where Pyrrhus is still in Italy which makes the early game very repetitive always.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    I think thats exactly it.
    Some mods try to use an earlier date where Pyrrhus is still in Italy which makes the early game very repetitive always.
    I always assumed it was because of two things: the war with Pyrrhus is coming to a conclusion (or could change, theoretically) and there is the brewing existence of a Greek league headed by Chremonides of Athens to decide the independence of the Greek city-states or the hegemony of Antigonid Macedonia over them. You could make similar arguments for why this is a good snapshot of the Seleucid and Ptolemaic empires as well (being the tail end of the First Syrian War). It also allows you to preempt the First Punic War as either Carthage or Rome.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Just before the Pyrrhus's war. Just after the fall of Lysimachos's diadochi. The Galatians are settled.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

2 plus 7 = 9. 9 x 2 = 18. 1 plus 8 = 9.

snip:
    When you multiply any number by 9, then add the resulting digits and reduce them to a single digit, it always becomes a 9. For example, 6 x 9 = 54, reduce 54 to a single digit by adding them together: 5 + 4 = 9. Similarly, 8 x 9 = 72, and 7 + 2 = 9. Or 23 x 9 = 207, 2 + 0 + 7 = 9, and so forth. There is nothing coincidental about this peculiarity. Try it. Any number, no matter how large, multiplied by 9 reduces to 9. From a numerological perspective, the 9 simply takes over, like the infamous body snatchers. Any number that was initially increased by a factor of 9 loses its own identity and instead takes on the characteristics of the 9. No other number has that quality.
    end snip. (from: http://www.numerology.com/numerology-numbers/9 )

EB is the 9 of mods.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post

2 plus 7 = 9. 9 x 2 = 18. 1 plus 8 = 9.

snip:
    When you multiply any number by 9, then add the resulting digits and reduce them to a single digit, it always becomes a 9. For example, 6 x 9 = 54, reduce 54 to a single digit by adding them together: 5 + 4 = 9. Similarly, 8 x 9 = 72, and 7 + 2 = 9. Or 23 x 9 = 207, 2 + 0 + 7 = 9, and so forth. There is nothing coincidental about this peculiarity. Try it. Any number, no matter how large, multiplied by 9 reduces to 9. From a numerological perspective, the 9 simply takes over, like the infamous body snatchers. Any number that was initially increased by a factor of 9 loses its own identity and instead takes on the characteristics of the 9. No other number has that quality.
    end snip. (from: http://www.numerology.com/numerology-numbers/9 )

EB is the 9 of mods.
    illuminati confirmed
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Why 272BC is (if it is) better than 303BC?

Playing with Antigonos the Cyclops would be great.
    Last edited by CanOmer; April 18, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

You would be wasting faction slots on too many Diadochoi IMO.
    The 272 factions are more interesting and offer more possibilities.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Agree this is other game. If you want so much to play a diadochi game, there is campaign like this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-War-%28ALX%29
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Apollodotos I Soter View Post
    illuminati confirmed
    No, it's much, much worse. EB II is a royalist conspiracy to reestablish the Chinese imperial monarchy, with the evil Fu Manchu at its head. He will stop at nothing to bring the world to its knees!

The number 9 (九, Pinyin: jiŭ, jyutping: gau2), was historically associated with the Emperor of China, and the number was frequently used in matters relating to the Emperor, before the establishment of the imperial examinations officials were organized in the nine-rank system, the nine bestowments were rewards the Emperor made for officials of extraordinary capacity and loyalty, while the nine familial exterminations was one of the harshest punishments the Emperor sentenced; the Emperor's robes often had nine dragons, and Chinese mythology held that the dragon has nine children. It also symbolizes harmony.

Moreover, the number 9 is a homophone of the word for "long lasting" (久), and as such is often used in weddings. It is also a homophone for the words "to have enough", "to save". Hence, when you put it with other words that are lucky, it emphasizes the benefit of that number 89 (To have enough luck), 29 (to easily have enough), 39 (grow enough). Here the word enough means more "to have that which you need to achieve your goals" vs. "just enough." When combined with the number 4, it's still not necessarily auspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post

I have to agree with the others. This would be a completely different game. It would also take FOREVER for the Romans to do anything. For anyone who's a fan of playing as the Romani, this would be a nightmare, as it already takes forever to reach the Marian reforms event. I shudder at the idea of making them wait another 150 turns or so.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

At the end of 272 BC Rome effectively dominated all of the Italian peninsula.

Also in 272 BC the Hellenistic world
    stabilized as Antigonos II Gonatas recaptured Makedon from Pyrrhos, the Seleukid and Ptolemaic empires were also firmly established. The Hellenistic dynasties were fairly intact until 168 BC.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Well basci timeframe more or less corresponds with that waht CA has alredy chosen fro RTW (270 BC - 14 AD). EB just moved the starting point two years earlier. I always tought it was in order to have Pyrrhos alive with his army and elephants and playlable Epirote to make game slightly more interesting. I agree with arguments about Romandomination over Italy and stabilization of Helenic world.

Some mods prefer to start eithe in 280 BC just before the start of Pyrrhic war or around 220 BC just before the start of Second Punic War. I myslef probably prefer EB starting date which allows more freedom of choice for the most of the faction at the begioning of the game and I really hate when events turns out significantly different from history early in the game (e.g. Rome or Pahlava destroyed or crippled early in the game instead of aproaching the position of future supperpowers). However, I would really see more mods starting in 2nd or 1st century BC.

I agree that the main point is the stabilization of the Diadochi Kingdoms. What happened in the years after Alexander's death would not be possible to represent basically. Demetrioses kingdom was all over the place, dynasties fell etc... It just seems that the situation in 272bc is as stable as it gets to me.

It's also during the first Syrian war between the AS and Ptolemaioi, when these two are still in their prime and haven't greatly worn each other down through perpetual conflict.

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

I misspoke above when I said EB is the 9 of mods.

EB is actually the 7 of mods.
    E=5, B=2. 5+2=7.

EB2 is the 9 of mods.

E(5), + B(2) + 2 = 9.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    I misspoke above when I said EB is the 9 of mods.

EB is actually the 7 of mods.
    E=5, B=2. 5+2=7.

EB2 is the 9 of mods.

E(5), + B(2) + 2 = 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollodotos I Soter View Post
    illuminati confirmed
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post

indeed. this should be forwarded to the CA - Diadochi Wars: the ultimate Total War.

i would apreciate more if CA makes official Game of thrones TW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast