Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: M2TW Config File How To's

Default Re: M2TW Config File How To's

I am having the exact same problem with as Sylesia, except i didnt try it pre patch. I have followed the instructions to the letter and it doesnt work.

I am currently copying the entire unpacked data folder into my mod in the hope that will work. It probably wont, but i have nothing better to do, or anything else to try. Plus i really hope we dont have to copy over everything each and every time we want to make a new mod!

Also, seeing as i have edited only one file (export_descr_units) why can i not edit the vanilla version of the game and have the changes happen? Surely doing that would be a heck load easier than making a new folder, copying files, making a mod switcher etc for one change on one unit in one file. Why does the game ignore these changes??? is there a way to make it not ignore those changes????

Basically is there a way for me to make some nice english cavalry?!?!

Ok, thats a problem. I got it to work by only having loading_screen, sounds, text and world in my data for mod. If you have everything, it goes boom.

Ok. i tried that, and it still CTD as soon as i start.

Alas, having the entire data folder copied didnt work either!

Quote Originally Posted by stofe View Post
    Nevermind I got it to work!
    could you explain how you got it to work? i am having major issues with this!
    Last edited by Trajan; December 19, 2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

I made a .bat file named: "launch_mymod" and copied the .Cfg file and named it: "mymod" (not mymod.cfg), then made the "mymod" folder and inside it i copied the "world" and "sounds" folders then i made a "data" folder and a "text" folder in the "data" folder then i just filled the "text" folder with the right files and put the rest in the "data" folder then i got it to work.
    P.S make sure to put the right files in the right folder and if it doesnt work try changing the letter size in the ".bat" and the ".cfg" file name slot so that they match. "launch_mymod", "mymod"

I think thats it
    Last edited by stofe; December 19, 2006 at 01:00 PM.

Does error logging function trace work anymore?

Ebullient Princesses! Titles! Bloodlines! Bastard Traitors!
    So much fun in one little BBB package! Get yours today!

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Quote Originally Posted by stofe View Post
    I made a .bat file named: "launch_mymod" and copied the .Cfg file and named it: "mymod" (not mymod.cfg), then made the "mymod" folder and inside it i copied the "world" and "sounds" folders then i made a "data" folder and a "text" folder in the "data" folder then i just filled the "text" folder with the right files and put the rest in the "data" folder then i got it to work.
    P.S make sure to put the right files in the right folder and if it doesnt work try changing the letter size in the ".bat" and the ".cfg" file name slot so that they match. "launch_mymod", "mymod"

I think thats it
    I totally don't understand. Could you use periods more often, perhaps? You're saying you put the "world" and "sounds" folders under mymod\ or under mymod\data\ ?

I got the game to run, but it's not using the files I wanted it to. I've replaced all of the files in the mymod\data\sounds folder, but it's still using the vanilla ones. Why? I also tried putting the "sounds" folder directly under the "mymod" folder, which is what I think stofe did, but then I got no sound at all.
    Last edited by Beiss; December 20, 2006 at 11:43 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Okay the folders should be placed as following: copy the "world" and "sounds" folders into the mymod/data folder, then create another folder in "mymod/data" named "text" and place the text files in it and the data files in the "data" folder and it should start.
    Last edited by stofe; December 20, 2006 at 01:00 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

It is nice to have all these switches to help check your work. Now how to do it so the .exe does not overwrite our hard work in the config file?

Default Re:

I was trying to solve that too, without success.

========================
    video applications,
    there're people who say
    they can see visions
    with tarot reading
    www.onlinetarotzone.com
    i would like to stream that

Hey can anyone confirm this works on Steam, Ive done everything right as far as I can tell yet it says "cannot find steam" when I hit the mod .exe.

Any one gots any clue how to use different music for the game's bg music during campain mode?
    I'm getting tired of fighting media player while I'm playing the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Preskinn View Post
    Keep diggin' boys!

And what about that hot-seat mode?
    Is possible a Multiplayer Campaign played on the SAME PC (hotseat). Here how enable it:
    Question # 32 - How do I enable multiplayer hotseat campaign mode?

Answer #32 -

1. First, copy your medieval2.preference.cfg file to your desktop.
    2. Rename the copy of the medieval2.preference.cfg file to multiplayer.cfg.
    3. Now, make sure that the multiplayer.cfg file is not read only (right click on the file, and check the properties).
    4. Open this new multiplayer.cfg file with Notepad or Wordpad, then add this to what is already in the multiplayer.cfg file:

[multiplayer]
    playable = 1
    hotseat_turns = 0
    hotseat_scroll = 0
    hotseat_update_ai_camera = 1
    hotseat_disable_papal_elections = 0
    hotseat_autoresolve_battles = 0
    hotseat_save_prefs = 1
    hotseat_disable_console = 0
    hotseat_validate_diplomacy = 1

5. Now save the multiplayer.cfg file and put it back on read only.
    6. Move the multiplayer.cfg file into your C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War folder.
    7. Now open up Notepad again. In an otherwise blank document, type this:

medieval2.exe @multiplayer.cfg

8. Save the Notepad document as Launch_Multiplayer.bat
    9. Put this new Launch_Multiplayer.bat file in your C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War folder.
    10. Now, if you want to, right click on the new .bat file and send it to the desktop (Create Shortcut).
    11. When you want to play the multiplayer version of the game, double-click the .bat file. This will launch the game in multiplayer mode.
    12. Once you are in the game, select multiplayer campaign.
    13. Now, pick which factions you want to play. Just click on as many as you want. I am playing as all 17 playable factions now.
    14. When you start the campaign, you will play each faction you have chosen in order. You can save and quit at any point and resume your game as you choose.

thorbeck's Avatar Libertus

Default Specify please

According to Epistolary Richard, a mod directory will require data/sounds/events.idx and data/sounds/events.dat, and I presume the campaign files, too, in order to work.
    I work with programming on a daily basis, and would really like get into modding M2TW. When working on any project, I like to have things nice and tidy.
    Could you please specify the minimum required files for a mod using the mod switching feature to work so I get my mod "base structure" ready?

Thanks in advance,
    thorbeck

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Default Re: Specify please

Quote Originally Posted by thorbeck View Post
    I work with programming on a daily basis, and would really like get into modding M2TW. When working on any project, I like to have things nice and tidy.
    Could you please specify the minimum required files for a mod using the mod switching feature to work so I get my mod "base structure" ready?

Thanks in advance,
    thorbeck
    1) World folder (you can find that in your Medieval II Total War\data folder)

2) Sounds folder with only audio.dat, audio.idx, events.dat, and events.idx.

Now, those are the two things you'll need in order for the mod switch to work. Don't forget that your mod folder has to replicate the M2TW directory in a way. Meaning that you'll need a new data folder in your mod folder and the world and sounds folder will go in there.

3) loading_screen folder. You don't need it to make the mod switch work but unless you don't care about seeing black loading screens while you're playing your mod, you'll want the loading_screen folder in there. You find that in your main data folder after you unpack the files.

4) fmv folder. Again, you don't need it but unless you don't care about seeing the in game videos/clips, you'll want that in your mod/data folder.

I downloaded a mod and I lost all the in game video. How can I get it back? There is no preference file in the mod folder.

Bah, I'm the worst modder ever. I've spent three hours now doing as Trajan says, checking and rechecking my file paths match, and it still runs vanilla. Any ideas?
    To anyone who ever beat "Cloaked_Figure" At MTW:VI, I want a rematch!

thanks Trajan!

This is really helping me with my mod

The Vandal
    MtC

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Updated with info on unlimited men on the battlefield.

Default Heres a good one: Can we run the game in a window mode?

Is it possible to mod the game files to make the game in a window instead of encompassing the entire screen?

considering its graphic intensity, i doubt it, but i thought id ask because id love to play my own tunes through the computer while playing m2:tw.
    Medieval II: Total War - Stainless Steel 4.1.
    Currently Campaigning as: Kingdom of Portugal

"No one has gone up into Heaven, except He having come down out of Heaven, the Son of Man who is in Heaven. And even as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that everyone believing into Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -Book of John Ch. 3

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Heres a good one: Can we run the game in a window mode?

You can do this with all windows games, its just a matter of finding the command line.