Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Empire roster released.

Default Re: Empire roster released.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dox View Post
    I just nitpick now on the mortar because I am sick of hearing he is redundant. And since most people saying that, show a certain lack of the tabletop rules, I will get into detail there to show why the mortar has a valid role in the Empire.
    Thank you for this comment, I wasn't aware of how the various artillery pieces fit together on the tabletop.

Quote Originally Posted by sataricon View Post
    You do realize that this is ALL the units you will get because they have released the entire roster and they made no mention of getting new units when you take other parts.
    This is the entire imperial army.

And what mods?....there won't be any mods because Sega/CA will not support it with any tools and i'm sure as hell that faking Games Workshop will not allow any mods to this game.

Why are people defending this ?
    Why are people making excuses for sega/CA?

No wonder they like to milk their fan base dry.
    CA never released any modding tools before shogun 2, and all the best mods came out on the older titles. I doubt they are going to encrypt the whole file system in the engine just to prevent modding, too much work.

I'm not defending anything and i'm not making excuses, read again.

I don't want to be raging about the game 6 months before release, in fact you seem eager to do so in my stead so carry on.

Call of warhammer is a mod for a very old game that it's revenue isn't much beside the sales on steam and even then,,,,'

This one however is a complete new game with the chance of many many DLCs to be sold for the benefit of both sega/GW.

Do you think for a second that GW/Sega will allow you to copy dwarf mortars to the empire for free when they can sell it with the master engineer pack for 3.99 or whatever in which they all get a cut from?

Believe it or not Sega/GW and even maybe CA these days are very scummy and greedy.
    Won't be the first time a C&D will be sent on behalf of good ol' games workshop.
    These guys are soo greedy they destroyed their own creation as in warhammer fantasy.

Not a doom sayer but prepare for the worst scummy DLC practices you have ever seen from this line of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post
    Hold on, I disliked that RTWII farcial launch as much as the next player, it's why I don't trust CA and why I won't pre-order TW:W until I see a trusted review.
    But are you really saying CA are incompetent because RTW1 didn't come out looking and playing like the EB mod(apart from it's ctds that is)? Do you really expect any commercial company to produce that modded game on release day? It was a labour of bloody love taking thousands of hours.
    I do a lot of game modding myself. And the fact is, a lot of what the EB team did they were forced to take the long way around because of the limitations of modding placed on the game by CA. Some of those files they created are ridiculously long.

If they could edit the engine, the work would have been far quicker. So yes, I expect that a commercial company could produce a game like EB (perhaps not with all the historical research, but gameplay wise, number of units and such).

However, I am not saying that CA is incompetent because RTW didn't come out looking like EB. I do believe RTW2 should have been vastly better than EB. Purely from a business standpoint, think about it, why should a mod for a 10 year old game compete with a brand new title? Sometimes the goal posts get raised, and you have to step up. CA should have blown EB out of the water and Rome 2 should have been incredible in all aspects, the same way that LoL blows the original DOTA out of the water in all respects.

But CA didn't step up.
    Last edited by Fallen851; December 02, 2015 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sataricon View Post
    Do you think for a second that GW/Sega will allow you to copy dwarf mortars to the empire for free when they can sell it with the master engineer pack for 3.99 or whatever in which they all get a cut from?
    It's more that the only way for them to stop it would be to completely change the open DB used by the warscape engine, which is unlikely to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Total War: Call of Warhammer is pretty much the most comprehensive Warhammer game/mod in existence. Never seemed to have run afoul with GW lawyer legion. So, probably safe territory.
    They had to change the name and a couple other things but overall GW did little more than a couple threats vs them. CoW became Rage of the Dark Gods...

There will certainly be mods for TW: Warhammer and I am just glad CA is doing the mechanics/animations which is what modders have quite difficulty adding. Once Wvyerns, Griffons, Dragons, Hydras, etc are in then mods can really go crazy- same with spell effects.

On the campaign side reputation for a Waaagh or whatever mechanics CA creates can usually be re-purposed in interesting ways.
    Last edited by Ichon; December 02, 2015 at 11:01 PM.

Here is the deal, alot of people are saying

''Mods will fix it''

That is no excuse, it is not our jobs as fans to fix CA's games. It just isn't, and even then, they are giving us 0 modding support. Yes great mods have happen even without that support in the past, but if they expect us to fix their limited and quite frankly boring roster, they should gives us the tools to do it.

And again, this smells ''state-packs'' DLC from a mile away.

Shameless self promotion for my LP channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClE...NDSg/playlists

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by MissRarity View Post
    And again, this smells ''state-packs'' DLC from a mile away.
    I hope they do make more Empire states, I would love to play as Averland and recreate Solland.

For me the only units which are missing is:
    -Militia
    -Archer/Huntsmen
    -Flagellants (the doomsayers) but they should rather spawn by events
    -MORTAR!!!!!! I have 3 of them in my army, they aren't that special!
    -Bright wizards (I have the collectors edition of it :3) I do hope they make more orders as they are creating more spells.

These units are universal for all Empire states, and should be added to the game!

But for the Knight order it makes sense, Karl starts out in Reikland which is there the Reiksguard got seat.
    All the other Knight orders are split all over the empires states.

Again Remember most of these units are region based, and the warhammer world are very strict about their roster.
    It is not like Rome were they have 15 different swordmen, here we are playing on the top of the tier in the world.

But should CA look at some of the older Lore in warhammer? were there are even more special region units?

YES!
    If we look on what work they did with COW, it is really nice units they have added, it really gives flavour to each states.

And should CA allow mods?
    Yes ofc! all the things CA doesn't make the community can make, and then CA makes DLC/FLC(hate that name) the community improves. (but never really replaces)

Tldr:
    CA did add most of the units which can be found in the armybook, we are just missing a few important units.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Senator

Long as the Faction is playable without any DLC that's all that really matters. Anything else is an added bonus.

Archers are about the only thing needed that are missing. I mean, a fantasy game without Human Archers? lol. That's like having Elves that don't use bows.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Deedlit View Post
    Long as the Faction is playable without any DLC that's all that really matters. Anything else is an added bonus.

Archers are about the only thing needed that are missing. I mean, a fantasy game without Human Archers? lol. That's like having Elves that don't use bows.
    Ehhhhh Context matters.

reason why Empire still using Bows are they are a quick raised levy, and only few state excel in using them.
    You would never see them in a regiments, but more as a small band of huntsmen.
    For they have the tech to replace bows, reason why Asur and Astrai are still using bows are because they have great mistrust towards technology.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Deedlit View Post

The Empire is basically a fantasy version of 16th cent HRE. Thus bows are long outdated in favor of crossbows and handguns. The infantry would be mostly pikes supplemented by arquebus infantry and varius polearms such as halbeards and zweihandeler shock infantry.

Even for civilian hunting, crossbows had taken the role of archery.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 03, 2015 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    The Empire is basically a fantasy version of 16th cent HRE. Thus bows are long outdated in favor of crossbows and handguns. The infantry would be mostly pikes supplemented by arquebus infantry and varius polearms such as halbeards and zweihandeler shock infantry.

Even for civilian hunting, crossbows had taken the role of archery.
    But in the case of warhammer, is that the peasant class can't afford it.

Would love to see a return of pikemen in Empire, I believe it is few how still used them, and in modern lore they are completely gone.
    I remember Nuln had a Pike unit which used pikes and greatsword.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

btw, to those who say this roster is larger and better than most rosters in previous tw games - no it is not.
    even if we do not compare it to tabletop one. It's the first TW game where we'd have only 4 playable factions (=races) at the start.
    only 4

this roster has to be much larger and has more variety to add replayability. rome 2 had twice the number of factions at launch and seeing this roster I do not believe we'd have THAT much difference playing different Lords.

Assuming every major expansion adds this many units to existing rosters, and the tons of DLC potential down the line for this universe....yeah I can see why the roster seems a little bare.

With every DLC you buy, you also get 1 more variantmesh unlocked! And I would
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    buy it all

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    btw, to those who say this roster is larger and better than most rosters in previous tw games - no it is not.
    even if we do not compare it to tabletop one. It's the first TW game where we'd have only 4 playable factions (=races) at the start.
    only 4

this roster has to be much larger and has more variety to add replayability. rome 2 had twice the number of factions at launch and seeing this roster I do not believe we'd have THAT much difference playing different Lords.
    But we should compare it to the table top and the established lore. And so far only 4 units are missing (better then Mark of chaos which was missing important units of the Druchii)
    and both of the lords are stationed in Altdoft, sooo you are right on that one.
    But if it was another lord, in another state I would expect different gameplay.
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; December 03, 2015 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    This is better than I expected, frankly.
    Again, I have to ask, which units here did you expect to be missing? We already knew of the cool looking units, the demigryphs, steam tanks, luminark from the blackfire pass video. So aside from those, which units did you expect not to be there exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post
    Well as another poster said it's to early, as their above quote doesn't say it will all be included regardless of DLC.
    Of course it does otherwise it would make no sense whatsoever as a response to the "only 4 factions" criticism.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    only 4

Well there's replayability enough to finish the grand campaign 4 or 5 times depending on if you want to the the Chaos DLC. Because you know, each of the factions will be radically different from each other and will offer different gameplay. Personally I've not played five different grand campaigns on a TW game since Med2. Because the factions are too similar to each other to offer a really different experience.

I mean the closest to a normal TW experience will be Empire, possibly Dwarves depending on what mechanics are in place for them, but the orcs and Vampire counts will by pure necessity of design be unlike anything else we've ever played as.

I'm curious on the smaller factions though. Will they have their own units?

Quote Originally Posted by MissRarity View Post
    their limited and quite frankly boring roster
    It has more variety than every faction combined in any previous total war game.

Quote Originally Posted by damien007 View Post
    It has more variety than every faction combined in any previous total war game.
    And I am a wizard.

One would expect the Empire to be a, if not the, generalist faction. Yet they lack archers and mortars for arced shots, light cavalry, light infantry...

And what the hell is it with all this "demigryph" stuff? Since when did the Empire have those? I thought they were an AoS thing.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast