Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

In theory I really do love the idea of seeing a fantasy warhammer total war game, I really do. Usually its only 40000K that gets all the love.

But creative assembly just really went out of their way to kill their own reputation with rome 2, so my trust is simply.. gone. I was one of the people who pre ordered rome 2 total war, because they never let me down since I started playing the series since Rome 1 total war. Sure I didnt agree with all decisions, nothing is perfect after all. But I did not complain about Empire total war or any other games on release. I've played NeverwinterNights 2 unpatched on release, Unpatched empire total war is perfection compared to that trainwreck.
    But rome 2 total war.. I would not say it was worse than an unpatched NWN2, but its very close. And a lot of dumb design decisions that could not be fixed. Like no family tree, the way sieges work, no walls in many cities, etc.

By now since emperor edition rome 2 can be quite enjoyable, mods helped with that as well. But that did not prevent me basicly getting slapped in the face by creative assembly for showing faith in them by pre ordering that game before it was released! It was nothing like the previews in the actual game.

So now I'd really advice everyone to NOT pre order, and wait untill the game is out, reviews are written that you trust, and you have read some user reviews before deciding to buy or not. And I do think that many people will do just that, at least anyone who played rome 2 early and has played earlier total war games as well. Pretty much the core that are, or better yet, used to be, their most loyal supporters.

Speaking for just myself, I will not trust any previews of them no matter how great it looks. I will watch it yes, and I'd likely be amazed and would want the game to be good, but most of all I dont want to be disappointed. Considering how many bugs rome 2 had on release, and that this new game SHOULD run on a new engine to accomodate all the flying units, giant beasts, magic and other elements that never where in total war, I expect a lot more bugs related to that.

So please CA, I can understand if the game is not moddeable, but that just means you'd have to make it extra awesome to begin with, since the better a game is, the less mods it truly needs. Dont force a release like with rome 2. Only release it when its done and properly tested. Dont go for a quick buck. Save your reputation, show that you can still be the company we loved in the past.

Rome 2 lost a lot of people's trust but is everyone forgetting about Empire's release... then after Napoleon, Shogun and FOTS we all thought CA was on top of their game again.. then Rome 2 and suddenly trust is lost again... Attila for me killed it. But I like the time period (IMO one of the most open ended and important times in history... most of the people who live in the countries they live in now is because of this very migration) anyways... with any game company in a series that has been going for so long they are bound to have a few bad apples.... And just like say GTA IV where most people hated.. SOME people say its their favorite... Rome II has that same odd niche...

That being said.. I wont -not- buy this game due to my distrust of CA because of a few bad releases they had (Rome II now, is perfectly playable and fun at that... and in my opinion a huge ambition to create what they tried to create)... Thing is.. I do not know anything about Warhammer... I do know that I like fantasy and always play a Dwarf (since like Baldurs gate) so I am kinda excited for this game due to wanting to play as the Dwarves...

However, insofar as I am excited for a new TW title... wtf.. Warhammer? this is Mod material... not Total War.... I am sorry, I do not care how epic any fantasy/sci fy world or setting may be.. human history will always IMO be more interesting, epic, and simply put.. cool. I mean we humans are interesting creatures and we have done some ed up to each other....

There is SOOO MUCH to human history that they could have touched and made a game about that would far exceed anything warhammer has to offer us... Shot and Pike, 30 years war, WW1, anything in Asia/India.... even a ancient American campaign would be sick... you could be nomadic tribes like Apache and Navajo or be the Aztec empire or Mayans... WITHOUT guns and ... (ya lots of infantry but perhaps focused on ambushes and jungle warfare) But the point is.. I am just surprised they are leaving their historical streak.. as a fan of history this was the ONE game set that I found somewhat historical and didnt bore me half to death (Ya paradox makes good strategy games but thats it... no action) I guess there is always WW2 games but still... I was hoping for more history... oh well... dwarves and orcs it is I guess.. Just might wait for a steam sale this time >.>

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

No modding support, no point....

I can see why they've done this, to prevent copyright issues with modders creating mods of other fantasy lores with the use of new mechanics, flying units etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    The TW warhammer trailer has in 3 days gotten more views than any trailer for any previous historical total war game.
    That's not good for those who play for history
    Not really suprising as Warhammer have tons of fans all over the world, so CA have alot to live up to. Do not fear though, medieval 3 and other games will come to.

This thread is getting less and less about Total War Warhammer and turning into another complaints list about past releases/games. Which I add CA never abandoned and always done there best to fix and satisfy you all. CA has and always will move forward to make money, release games and bring innovation to the genre. No one else does it better or even half way close to it. Also anyone that has not played Attila has no idea about the current game engine, Attila release was near on perfect IMO apart from the usual MP balancing, I think its brilliant and that's not to mention how awesome sieges/towns battles are. The engine feels smoother faster more stable and looks 100x better then Rome 2 was on release. I am confidant that Warhammer will be a great release and I will expect to see a few things that need patching as there is no plans for alpha/beta testing with the community.

This Warrior Of Sparta video was informative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbf2GaAjqo4

Quote Originally Posted by C.Maximus View Post
    Thing is.. I do not know anything about Warhammer...

There is SOOO MUCH to human history that they could have touched and made a game about that would far exceed anything warhammer has to offer us... Shot and Pike, 30 years war, WW1, anything in Asia/India.... even a ancient American campaign

I am just surprised they are leaving their historical streak..
    Know nothing about warhammer? yet you know enough that IMO them boring ideas would exceed it. Think deeper then what history tells us, a actual game of it would not always be a big hit. Pike and shot is the only other time period I would be interested in that they have not done.

CA are not and never will leave Historic games behind.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Finally got around to watching the 'cinematic trailer,' was surprised how cartoonish the units looked. Is that the GW aesthetic for Warhammer or CA's take on it?

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post

Oh. So Captain Picard said it would be a good idea to sprinkle candy on a turd. I find that a little hard to believe. He usually seems such a sensible chap.

captcruch's Avatar Miles

Mods will save everything anyway,as for Rome II , Shogun II , Napy & Empire .

If the Yankees dare set foot in Virginia,we must show them bayonet .

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Finally got around to watching the 'cinematic trailer,' was surprised how cartoonish the units looked. Is that the GW aesthetic for Warhammer or CA's take on it?
    This.
    I think it's just the style of Warhammer. Was looking at other Warhammer stuff and came to the impression that cartoonish fantasy is just their style.
    Bulky armor that no one could actually wear, orcs that look like hulk and ride on little piglets, humungous weapons that are somehow wielded as if they were made of plastic...
    I think I'm gonna pass on this one.

It's a shame though that it won't support mods. All the new mechanics could really play into of mod teams to create full conversion mods such as LOTR or Westeros conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolaos View Post
    Bulky armor that no one could actually wear, orcs that look like hulk and ride on little piglets, humungous weapons that are somehow wielded as if they were made of plastic...
    I think I'm gonna pass on this one.
    Really. This game has fantasy units. With fantasy armour and fantasy weapons. Well I'll be.
    By the way, this is me waving as you pass.

i think the reason for no modding support is purely down to games workshop. Its a company that charges ridiculous amounts of money for cheap plastic models so I fully expect to get milked to death for dlc. On the other hand because all the races are so different every race will have to be made from scratch no reskinning like in most tw games so I don't mind too much, as long as its not ridiculously expensive or we have to pay to unlock elite units like you do in the tabletop version.

if its done correctly it really could be an astonishing game but if gw is too greedy then it will fail and hurt CAs reputation even more than it has been in the past 18months

Quote Originally Posted by captcruch View Post
    Mods will save everything anyway,as for Rome II , Shogun II , Napy & Empire .
    Which is why they've taken steps to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    SNIP
    Wow...just wow. You really are desperate to ignore everything I said in that comment just to focus on the goddamn picture, you were not even funny in the slightest so that makes it worse and even more pathetic. Respond when you actually have anything to argue the point instead of wasting my time.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'm very interested about effects in the new game.

As you all know, magic and effects play a relevant role on any Warhammer table, so, CA has to deal with tons of magic and effects.
    Now I must admit that probably Warscape (the Horror!), in this case could be well suited for this kind of things, being a (very) old engine developed mainly for firearms.

What do you think guys?

Side note:
    Just a small question for the Mod staff: is now allowed the use of capitals posting on TWC?
    I ask because Colonel Tartleton is using uppercase letters in any new posts ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton
    INSTEAD OF COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW YOU BOUGHT THEIR GAMES AND DIDN'T LIKE THEM, STOP BUYING THEIR GAMES AND THEN COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW YOU DON'T LIKE THEM...
    .. and ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton
    YOU CAN NOT TELL ME NOT TO YELL. I AM ALREADY YELLING. NEXT YOU WILL TELL ME NOT TO DRINK. BUT I WILL AND I WILL A LOT. AND THEN I WILL PLAY TOTAL WAR AND I WILL STILL BE YELLING AND DRINKING CIDER.
    .. so, I would like to know if even us poor mortals can freely use capitals in our posts ... I LOVE UPPERCASE LETTERS!

Baldos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Will CA View Post
    Well, Total War was built on a tradition of historical eras, and we’ll continue to do exactly that. Total War: Warhammer is being developed in parallel with our historical titles by a dedicated team.
    CA can make what ever game they want...BUT the TW series has always been about HISTORICAL games. The Fall of the Samurai was very good at simulating gun powder weapons. Rome 2 and Attila are very good a simulating sword/spear/bow combat. It would seam to me that MTW 3 or Empire 2 or a game that covers late middle ages through the Gun & Pike/ religious wars era to Napoleon would be wonderful!

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

lets hope this is not another fail from CA

"Total War"...Warhammer...How did it come to that...? Huge disappointment.....
    After 15 years....it's time to say good bye to TW....for it is not what I seek....flying rats and stuff....

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by jollybadfellow View Post
    After 15 years....it's time to say good bye to TW....for it is not what I seek....flying rats and stuff....

for the xth time, they are still making historic total war. TW:W is made by another team

PonySlaystation's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by jollybadfellow View Post
    see you then in one or two years when they release the next historic TW. poor lad...maybe two years...what a catastrophy! here have a cookie and try not to post anything relating TW:Warhammer again because nobody cares about people who whine about a game MANY people have waited for 10+ years, while CA and many posts stated SEVERAL TIMES that CA will develop another historic TW besides Warhammer.

Last edited by PonySlaystation; April 26, 2015 at 02:23 PM.
    Ferrum Noricum

TEAM SKAVEN
    TEAM DARK ELVES
    TEAM TOMB KINGS