Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of Movement between the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand should be a given - but it's not.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Freedom of Movement between the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand should be a given - but it's not.

Freedom of movement between the UK, Australia and New Zealand (possibly Ireland, Canada) should be in place given the ties between the people and ease of integration, yet has taken a backseat to the EU freedom of movement (which I support FYI...mostly). I have many, many friends and some family from Down Under and was reading up about how loads have to reluctantly go home after their 2 year visas expire, despite literally being the same people as us with a funny accent, yet some Latvian plumber can bring his entire extended family.

Thoughts?

Considering that so many Britons go Down Under each year and Aussies/Kiwis come here and integrate instantaneously it should be a no-brainer, what is stopping it really?
    Last edited by Sharpe; February 24, 2015 at 12:14 AM.

Default Re: Freedom of Movement between the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand should be a given - but it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Freedom of movement between the UK, Australia and New Zealand (possibly Ireland, Canada) should be in place given the ties between the people and ease of integration, yet has taken a backseat to the EU freedom of movement (which I support FYI...mostly). I have many, many friends and some family from Down Under and was reading up about how loads have to reluctantly go home after their 2 year visas expire, despite literally being the same people as us with a funny accent, yet some Latvian plumber can bring his entire extended family.

Thoughts?

Considering that so many Britons go Down Under each year and Aussies/Kiwis come here and integrate instantaneously it should be a no-brainer, what is stopping it really?
    You're seeing this from a completely British perspective. Canada and Australia and New Zealand are the ones with the booming, balanced economies and wide open beauty - it's the British, not them, who have everything to gain from such an arrangement. Frankly that Latvian plumber has skills Australia might need more than some British bricklayer who wants to earn his dollars and maybe become a sparky.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Freedom of Movement between the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand should be a given - but it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    You're seeing this from a completely British perspective. Canada and Australia and New Zealand are the ones with the booming, balanced economies and wide open beauty - it's the British, not them, who have everything to gain from such an arrangement. Frankly that Latvian plumber has skills Australia might need more than some British bricklayer who wants to earn his dollars and maybe become a sparky.
    Yet there are still Aussies and Kiwis being sent back home due to expired visas, from what I would argue is their own motherland no less.

As for a sparky or a bricky - they can be home grown and there is a trend of forgoing uni to learn a trade, it's a big step for a sparky to go down under and not a typical move. Typically it's 18-35 year old graduates. There are still huge numbers of Australasians coming over every year and Brits going abroad. Employment and prospects is a valid point but generally any Brits, Kiwis or Aussies going abroad are either travelling or young professionals - no slouchers. Generally.

The recent billboard campaign got me thinking about this a lot, plus I dated a Kiwi for a few months

Have a butch at these, they're illustrative but you get the point. There is polarity.

I honestly don't think it's a case of good for one, bad for the other rather mutual give and take.

Perhaps I'm looking at this from an ideological mindset at the moment, but you must understand where I'm coming from, I just think it's a shame that formality prevents people with intrinsic ties from becoming fully integrated. The thought of estrangement is actually kind of sad to me, my closest friend is a Briton who moved to NZ.

I'm of the mindset that even if it isn't used - it should be there anyway. There are no other nationalities on earth as close as the Brits, Aussies and Kiwis. I guarantee if this was suggested in either three of the countries in question it would receive huge support. There are factors beyond fiscal gain that should be considered, and honestly even if this policy was put in place - I doubt the numbers would increase a great deal. Most people who want to visit any of the nations in question can do so with reasonable ease - but that should be that assurance that you really do have a home away from home halfway across the globe - especially if you have family or close friends there. As it stands the Commonwealth is words, if Britain really wants to stand up on its two feet and rub shoulders with France and Deutschland on the EU stage this is a great asset.

You're well traveled mate - what are your personal thoughts on this? Beyond what might be beneficial for any of the countries. I personally believe further integration would only yield good things, and that isn't because I want to work in Aus, though I will very likely spend a year there at some point.

Praefectus

Anyone from New Zealand can move to Australia and vice versa (although why you'd want to move from Australia to NZ, who would know, and almost no one does). Canada is a horribly cold inhospitable place. Britain was once a great nation, but is not any longer. The only place I'd ever really want to go to is the US, everywhere else kind of really is the sux0r. Ireland is a miserable place, always rainy, always cold........ There is a reason why the Irish have moved all over the world. I dont want people like Anjem Chaudry claiming 'muh human rights' and relocating to Australia based on some treaty, I'm glad he's the UKs problem.

So I'd be recommending, if anyone asked, er No. Having people come in open door from NZ is bad enough, especially as they have an open door immigrant policy, so people do the NZ shuffle - refused entry Australia, go to NZ for a few years, get NZ citizenship come to Aus.
    My bookshelf is a hate blog.

Love how Simon managed to get Anjem Choudary in a thread even like this.

Comes Domesticorum

Don't see why it should be a given, tbh. Why should Canada and Australia have to accept Britishers above any other immigrants to their countries?

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

Because Empire !!!1!1!

There is *some* truth that Canadians and Australians have much in common with British but so have Americans or in fact even Indians. Its's farily obvious that Canada and Australia are singled out because of Imperial nostalgia. SA might have been in the list as well but there are to many brownies down there as it is plus it refuses to accept her Majesty Elizabeth II as rightfull God-Queen-Empress.
    Last edited by SorelusImperion; February 24, 2015 at 01:54 AM.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Ferrets has got it right. Apart from backpackers and students, there is little permanent immgration from the antipodes back to "the Motherland".

Ironically, as it stands, the UK still makes up the top nation of immigration to Australia; without the need for specific freedom of movement regulations.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by SorelusImperion View Post
    Because Empire !!!1!1!
    India would want it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

India would want it too.
    Yes but India is even less white than South Africa and then there are those crazy Muzzies, Sikhs and Hinduists.

That beeing said I think there are in fact some regulations that make it easier to immigrate to the UK if you are from the former British colonies including India and Pakistan.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by SorelusImperion View Post
    Yes but India is even less white than South Africa and then there are those crazy Muzzies, Sikhs and Hinduists.
    So British decides it by skin color?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

So British decides it by skin color?
    Not the British I refer to Sharpes proposal and what I suspect to be the mindset behind that odd selection of former Dominions.
    Last edited by SorelusImperion; February 24, 2015 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    "Canada, Australia and New Zealand are the ones with the booming, balanced economies..."

Oh, they are?

Na, they're just not retards who let in any old tossers because they're too lazy and or incompetent to properly educated their home grown citizens.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    "Canada, Australia and New Zealand are the ones with the booming, balanced economies..."

Oh, they are?

Na, they're just not retards who let in any old tossers because they're too lazy and or incompetent to properly educated their home grown citizens.
    I don't know what Australia's like, but Canada has had until recently a very open immigration policy.

Oh, they are?

23 years of uninterrupted economic growth and the only developed nation to avoid recession during the GFC.

We've also a very broad immigration policy, with almost 30% of Australians having been born overseas.

But please, continue to sprout complete bollocks.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    23 years of uninterrupted economic growth and the only developed nation to avoid recession during the GFC.

We've also a very broad immigration policy, with almost 30% of Australians having been born overseas.

But please, continue to sprout complete bollocks.
    Austrailia has a broad immigration policy - lol. Been to Europe recently?

Austrailia has a broad immigration policy - lol. Been to Europe recently?
    Yup. Been to Australia... ever?

What difference does it make? Even if I said yes, you wouldn't know I was telling to truth - just like I have no idea nor do I actually care if you've ever been to Europe. My question was rhetorical.

Compared the EU's, Australia's immigration policy is tighter than a nun's snatch - unless you think that Australians are in fact retards who let in any old tossers because they are too incompetent to educate their own people.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

I have, the initial treatment I received from the authorities was nothing short of appalling. I would have an easier time if I was an actual terrorist or sth. Anyway, I like Australia, it's a country that forever will be in my heart. But it is no secret that their immigration policy is draconian.

What difference does it make? Even if I said yes, you wouldn't know I was telling to truth - just like I have no idea nor do I actually care if you've ever been to Europe. My question was rhetorical.

Compared the EU's, Australia's immigration policy is tighter than a nun's snatch - unless you think that Australians are in fact retards who let in any old tossers because they are too incompetent to educate their own people.
    I'll take that as a no.

We have a very broad and expansive immigration policy. We take in some 20,000 refugees a year. We have several tens of thousand foreign students every year. At the moment, there is actually a very lively debate around a certain visa class called 457, which is for companies to bring in foreign workers. Without going into too much detail, the crux of the argument is that many companies are exploiting the 457 visa to bring in cheaper, foreign workers rather than look to employ Australians.

The 2011 Census reported that over one in four of Australia's 22 million people were born overseas. The number of settlers arriving in Australia from more than 200 countries between July 2008 and June 2009 totalled 158,021. Most were born in New Zealand (16.2 per cent), the United Kingdom (13.6 per cent), India (10.9 per cent), China (10.0 per cent) and South Africa (4.6 per cent).

Migration program outcomes have increased from 70,200 in 1999–00 to 168,685 in 2010–11.

A 2014 sociological study concluded that: "Australia and Canada are the most receptive to immigration among western nations".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Australia

But please, continue to type crap. It's clear you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I have, the initial treatment I received from the authorities was nothing short of appalling. I would have an easier time if I was an actual terrorist or sth. Anyway, I like Australia, it's a country that forever will be in my heart. But it is no secret that their immigration policy is draconian.
    Was your treatment in regards to obtaining a visa? Or upon arrival at the airport? Because the latter has nothing to do with the former.
    Last edited by Dr Zoidberg; February 24, 2015 at 04:03 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast