View Poll Results: How do you like to see the results?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Text-based

12 75.00%
  • Excel image

4 25.00%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: TWC Total War Attila benchmark thread - last update: 26. December 2016

Default Re: TWC Total War Attila benchmark thread - last update 25. March 2016

Quote Originally Posted by swoopingisbad View Post
    So now I know the GPU was the bottleneck for me for Max Quality and beyond, but for the lower settings it's worth it !
    Also, even on MaxQuality when the game is mostly GPU limited, the CPU speed will be the limit when u zoom in on a lot of units. So even on higher settings, the faster CPU should help you in certain scenarios.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

MACEDONICA.txt

As the new GTX 1080 arrived yesterday, I thought I would run through the Benchmark presets out of curiosity.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thank you very much! The first benchmark on lowest setting has constant 60 fps (+/-2) please check what is possibly enabling Vsync I saw it is disabled in the options for Attila but perhaps it is enabled in the driver. At the moment I cannot use it.
    Last edited by alQamar; May 29, 2016 at 04:15 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Will do - I will upload tomorrow morning.

OK - here is the Benchmark test on max performance settings with Vsync enabled:

I see no practical difference, really. I want to do a Warhammer benchmark was a little disappointed to find there is no ingame Benchmark preset!

@SeniorBatavianHorse

There was a misunderstanding. alQamar asked u to check in the driver (or possibly some other GPU tool u use) whether VSynch is enabled somewhere. Because in the original max performance benchmark u can clearly see that the framerate never goes much above 60 FPS which it should even though VSynch was not set in the graphics settings.

Edit: I overlooked something obvious: You recorded a video while performing the benchmarks. That certainly contributed to your seemingly sub-par performance. So I would check performance again without video recording and see whether u get expected performance (I am currently testing a GTX980TI and with some OC it gives about 55FPS in the extreme preset @ 1080P).

Also your performance in Attila seems to be severely hampered by CPU and memory speed. Your GPU is about twice as fast as a 970 but benchmark results are actually quite a bit lower. Since your CPU and memory are slower than most other machines tested, this can be expected in all CPU/memory limited sequences. But your performance is so much lower that I would recommend to run some other benchmarks like 3D mark which will compare your benchmark result to similar machines. Maybe there is something wrong in the configuration/setup.

If u play a lot of TW games and u want higher minimum framerates when u have a ton of units on screen, I can only recommend that u overclock your CPU (get a good cooler) and get faster RAM. Currently your RAM is 1600 Mhz (CL11) . If your motherboard allows I would get some 2400Mhz memory modules with the lowest latency as possible (e.g. CL 10).

There is now a Warhammer benchmark but the benchmark scene is not very good, it doesn't really show any demanding scene where the CPU would be involved more. It's much more GPU limited than the Attila benchmark and doesn't really represent the actualy gameplay experience with a lot of units on the field.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; July 06, 2016 at 05:38 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi guys there are new Nvidia drivers / AMD hotfix drivers out. A chance to come back to benchmarking perhaps?

AMD seems to push put one hotfix driver after another. I feel blessed with Nvidia not pushing their drivers out too fast.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    @SeniorBatavianHorse

There was a misunderstanding. alQamar asked u to check in the driver (or possibly some other GPU tool u use) whether VSynch is enabled somewhere. Because in the original max performance benchmark u can clearly see that the framerate never goes much above 60 FPS which it should even though VSynch was not set in the graphics settings.

Edit: I overlooked something obvious: You recorded a video while performing the benchmarks. That certainly contributed to your seemingly sub-par performance. So I would check performance again without video recording and see whether u get expected performance (I am currently testing a GTX980TI and with some OC it gives about 55FPS in the extreme preset @ 1080P).

Also your performance in Attila seems to be severely hampered by CPU and memory speed. Your GPU is about twice as fast as a 970 but benchmark results are actually quite a bit lower. Since your CPU and memory are slower than most other machines tested, this can be expected in all CPU/memory limited sequences. But your performance is so much lower that I would recommend to run some other benchmarks like 3D mark which will compare your benchmark result to similar machines. Maybe there is something wrong in the configuration/setup.

If u play a lot of TW games and u want higher minimum framerates when u have a ton of units on screen, I can only recommend that u overclock your CPU (get a good cooler) and get faster RAM. Currently your RAM is 1600 Mhz (CL11) . If your motherboard allows I would get some 2400Mhz memory modules with the lowest latency as possible (e.g. CL 10).

There is now a Warhammer benchmark but the benchmark scene is not very good, it doesn't really show any demanding scene where the CPU would be involved more. It's much more GPU limited than the Attila benchmark and doesn't really represent the actualy gameplay experience with a lot of units on the field.
    Hi, thanks for the clarifications. I will check that tonight. My 3D Mark settings are as follows, if that helps:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9351325

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I don't agree with the RAM upgrade Barbarian posted to you. We have seen so minor to none influence of the RAM speeds in Attila and Rome. Some even had a quadchannel setup and still no help with framerates.

It doesn't help much on Intel CPUs, as the CPU internal memory controller is limited or designed for 1600 MHz DDR3 or new ones 2133 MHz DDR4. Low latencies help little bit more indeed.

Not even in 3DMark you'll see much of a difference.

Imho it would be a waste to replace your 4x4GB RAM setup.

There is definitely something wrong with your setup Senior.
    You should really contact Alienware.

My Firestrike score on an old 2600k and a 970 is nearly better than yours.

Consider the benchmark result is old (2015) too.
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4568065

However the 2600k was running at 5 Ghz instead yours 3.7 GHz. But it's still to less difference.

I'll lock mine to 3.7 GHz and run Firestrike again so we have more objective results. Then the latest your rig should easily outperform mine by far with your 1080.
    Last edited by alQamar; July 22, 2016 at 01:08 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi @Senior,

I've started Firestrike 1.1 with standard settings and my CPU downclocked to 3.7 GHz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13525087?

Seems the Physics (CPU) test contributes much on the total result.

My score is now ranged at 9569.

my result
    12264 Graphics Score
    8281 Physics Score
    3964 Combined
    9569 Total

your result:
    21598 Graphics Score
    9555 Physics Score
    5296 Combined Score
    14428 Total

The quite doubled performance of the 1080 to my 970 is correct. Aswell it is understandable that your CPU is a bit faster as you have 6 cores at same speed, whilst your RAM is marginally slower (CL11 for you CL9 for me @ 1600 MHz).

So now the results do not read so wrong. Sorry for my previous wrong conclusion. Question remains if the Firestrike still limits you on a cap of 60 fps like you had with the TW benchmark.

Phew, I am glad you did that- I was getting a little anxious about my rig after your previous post! I am interested in o/c my cpu but know very little about how to do it. Any advice would be appreciated.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Phew, I am glad you did that- I was getting a little anxious about my rig after your previous post! I am interested in o/c my cpu but know very little about how to do it. Any advice would be appreciated.
    You're welcome. I need to know few things. Do you have a stock or custom cooler? Which cooler and mainboard.

Not sure if it's possible to overclock this CPU it's no K model.

Well I have a stock cooler but the i7 4820K is overclockable, I think. The mainboard is an Alienware Ivy Bridge-E A11. I am not sure what other details you need? I have CPU-Z installed to give accurate details and also HW Monitor with the aim of overclocking the cpu. Is it a question of going into the bios?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Yes, good you have the K. I would need the manual to help you with the UEFI settings

UEFI settings? I don't have a manual to hand, either. I think I may be out of my depth!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    UEFI settings? I don't have a manual to hand, either. I think I may be out of my depth!
    UEFI is the new BIOS. I just need to know the Mainboard name you see at cpuz

CPU-Z list the following details at the 'mainboard' tab:

Model: OFPV A00
    Intel Ivy Bridge-E
    Southbridge: X79
    LPCIO: Fintek F71889A

BIOS: Alienware A11 11/26/2013

Is that what you are looking for?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Yep. Have you been successful in finding an update for it?
    Have you completed the Win 10 upgrade yet? Tempus venit
    Last edited by alQamar; July 27, 2016 at 11:41 PM.

Yep I've been running Windows 10 since it came out. The BIOS is updated also.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Ok looking forward to your progress with the new hardware. The next big Win 10 upgrade is about to be released beginning of August