Thread: Tough one...

Default Tough one...

Still waiting for M2TW (good news that you move on Chivalry to it) I gave RTW & Chivalry a shot the past few days. First of all, you did a GREAT job. Outstanding! Excellent!

Started a campaign as my beloved Byzantines and this seems an extraordinarily tough cookie to crack.

There's one thing that really buggers me: There ain't enough cash in Byzantium. Which is rather unrealistic for the given timeframe (Byzantium was the economic powerhouse of the era anyway) and makes Byz easy prey for the Seljuks (especially with their enormous cash reserve at the start).

I finetuned the Byzantines (toning down a bit the support costs for units, upping the starting cash, adding a couple buildings here and there) to make for a playable (without too much hassle) campaign, but I am wondering if you should reevaluate the byzantine settings for the future final release? :hmmm:

Winner of the - once upon a time - least popular TWC
    TOPIC award

Υπό την αιγίδα του Tacticalwithdrawal
    under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal

Naughty bros: Red Baron and Polemides

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Default Re: Tough one...

The Byzantine were indeed weakened for this release.

Previously they would just steamroll Hungary and the Turks, in nearly every campaing.
    Now there's more varity.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Well in me campaigen in V.0.44 the Turks and the Polish roll Byzantinia over.
    But it is fun to see how every campaign develop in diffrent directions.

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

Yeah, Byzantium needs a litter more starting cash and it's unit costs (Moreso for upkeep than recruitment cost), especially for militia units and Skutatoi, to be slightly reduced... Lastly, that landbridge from Albania (Epirus) to Southern Italy has to go, the Byzantine Empire cannot possibly fight on yet ANOTHER front, between the Sicilians, the Turks, the Hungarians and Armenians, it is too much strain. Also taking into consideration the poor growth rates and lower profits....
    Last edited by Shadow_Imperator; November 10, 2006 at 10:19 AM.
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH

the byzantines get their ass handed to them in every campaign i play, except when i play them of course

Shadow_Imperator's Avatar Italo/Aussie hayseed

Jeezus even playing them I find myself in strife!
    "We are unable to choose the circumstances of our creation, and few of us choose our demise.
    However, as intelligent creatures of freewill, we are gifted, privileged, and so very fortunate; that we are able to choose the manner, in which we choose live". - Me

(If you like my quote or agree with it, you are welcome to add it to your own sig!).
    Under the patronage of Bulgaroctonos - PROTECTOR of the FAITH

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

I said it already somewhere, Byz will get some little tweaks (but not much) to have a higher resistance vs. Sicily in the first place, and also vs. the Seljuks, but the balance will have a change anywhere, as in Italy appears just a new faction, and this will as well bring sorrows to Sicily's as yet steamroll over Italy and Byz' greek regions.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Well, in my current campaign Sicily is very contained in its original provinces (though I´m still using .50, I´m not sur whether the .51 atch is savegame-compatible - probably not, and I´d like to finish at least my current campaign before launching another one.), it´s the Turks that dominate and have pushed the Byzantines into the Balkan region. Every other faction that had not to face me (France, Spain and Aragon wanted to play troublemakers, they are no more) more or less retained its original provinces.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities