Thread: What did I do?

Default What did I do?

Hey there TWC! I have been doing some modding to slowly convert some BGRV features over into Meneth's Compilation (5.0). I have had some mild success so far and have been able to implement the campaign script that forces the ai to disband units or not recruit units if it is in dire economic straits. I find this much more appealing than simply giving the ai faction money bonuses.

Anyways, here's my issue. I changed a lot in the campaign script, but didn't touch the emergent factions. Somehow I am experiencing them emerge as hordes with only three generals almost immediately into an early campaign. I know this isn't right and I was wondering if anyone could possibly shed some light on where I need to look to figure out why this is happening and how to fix it. I hope someone might know off the top of their head, but in case not, here's the campaign script.

campaign_script.txt

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: What did I do?

I am experiencing them emerge as hordes
    Who is "them"? All of the emerging factions?

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Who is "them"? All of the emerging factions?
    Yes. The emergent factions. My apologies for not specifying that.

As far as I can tell (going by the script you gave - I don't have the mod) all of the emerges are initially triggered only by descr_events.txt events. So I don't think that the emerges are happening per se, nor even that part of the script kicking in, just these particular factions appearing for some reason.

If the only thing you have changed is killing units then it might be that your script's killing is including garrisons which in turn drops public order in some settlements leading to revolt. And when they rebel they revert to some other faction instead of the slave faction, in this case your emergent factions and thus making them appear in the process. Just a theory. I know of two cases where a rebelling settlement goes to some other faction:

1) faction_creator in descr_strat.txt, e.g. if mongols then this settlement rebelling could go to the mongols faction

2) shadow factions in descr_sm_factions.txt, e.g. if mongols is a shadow faction of the faction whose settlement rebelled

However, as far as I know neither case occurs if the faction (mongols) is not yet alive and has dead_until_resurrected in descr_strat.txt.

As far as I can tell (going by the script you gave - I don't have the mod) all of the emerges are initially triggered only by descr_events.txt events. So I don't think that the emerges are happening per se, nor even that part of the script kicking in, just these particular factions appearing for some reason.

If the only thing you have changed is killing units then it might be that your script's killing is including garrisons which in turn drops public order in some settlements leading to revolt. And when they rebel they revert to some other faction instead of the slave faction, in this case your emergent factions and thus making them appear in the process. Just a theory. I know of two cases where a rebelling settlement goes to some other faction:

1) faction_creator in descr_strat.txt, e.g. if mongols then this settlement rebelling could go to the mongols faction

2) shadow factions in descr_sm_factions.txt, e.g. if mongols is a shadow faction of the faction whose settlement rebelled

However, as far as I know neither case occurs if the faction (mongols) is not yet alive and has dead_until_resurrected in descr_strat.txt.
    Great! Thanks Withwnar! That definitely helps and gives me somewhere to focus my efforts... much appreciated.

That's okay but on reflection I doubt it's the reason, otherwise it would be happening even without your script-killing, whenever one of these settlements rebels. I assume that you haven't changed things like faction_creator and shadow factions. Can you attach your descr_strat.txt file?

That's okay but on reflection I doubt it's the reason, otherwise it would be happening even without your script-killing, whenever one of these settlements rebels. I assume that you haven't changed things like faction_creator and shadow factions. Can you attach your descr_strat.txt file?
    Nope. Didn't touch those. The only things I changed in descr_strat are the faction recruitment patterns, brigand and pirate spawn values, and then the starting denari and king's purse.

descr_strat.txt

I did notice that the teutonic order has a date of 0 in the campaign script. You mentioned that shouldn't matter if it has the "dead until resurrected" attribute, which they do. So, not sure.

I figured it out! I had gotten a little carried away with copy and paste, hadn't fully reviewed and flushed through a section, and then had gotten rid of the lines "and I_EventCounter inquisition > 0" and "and I_EventCounter mongols_invasion > 0" under the "no heir reinforcement" section of the campaign script. So, random heirs were appearing on the map prior to those prerequisite events because of that. Thanks for all your help, it definitely got me going in the right direction.

Great.

I did notice that the teutonic order has a date of 0 in the campaign script
    "date 0" does pose a problem with some turn per year values, eg. 12.

EDIT:
    ...but as you have not changed this part of the script it's probably a moot point - that it already was, and still is, working okay (because it is not a 12tpy mod?). "date X" means "X years from now", where "now" for descr_events.txt events means the start of the campaign and for script means the time of the monitor firing. So if a script monitor with "date 0" fires in turn 50 then this event happens in turn 50, not the start of the campaign.
    Last edited by Withwnar; February 03, 2015 at 09:13 AM.