Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Legions of Rome

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: IMPERIAL LEGIONS OF ROME

Cohortes urbanae did indeed exist but I personally do not think they warrant a unit, they were mostly a 'police' force. But it is of course up to you.
    I still think Legio Macedonia V or perhaps Parthica II ?

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Yeah that's what I've heard too. Along with the praetorian guard and vigiles they made up the permanent garrison of Rome. Maybe add them as a capped unit? Or maybe as a garrison unit for larger cities?

I think that some units with leather segmentata would be really cool since many believe that iron segmentata was the exception not the rule. I think that in some rainy weather iron segmentata would have rusted very quickly and in hot weather it would have baked the man wearing it (medieval knights had this same big problem). I think that a unit of African provinces with boiled leather segmentata would be the best choice.
    Last edited by andrew881thebest; February 05, 2015 at 05:21 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/andrew881thebest youtube channel dedicated to rome 2 machinimas and movie battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeOCm5MJJ14 battle in Germany from "Gladiator" movie remade

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Cohortes urbanae were posted in Praetorians barracks, but oneof their cohorts was posted in Lugdunum as city garrison and mint protection. Another one was posted in Carthage (this one was disbanded, I can´t remember why and when). Also if I remember correctly they fought Commodus´ Equites Singularis Augusti during riot against Cleander as they sided with citizens of Rome against Commodus´favorite. They were more military oriented than vigiles.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Leonardo, would also be nice to see screens from work in progress, I mean, screens of the various phases of 3d modelling and texturing. I think is also an interesting and different view to appreciate this mod.

Andrew's suggestion about segmentata more rusted in rainy and snowy regions and leather clothes in Southern regions would be nice to spread more differences between the legions.

Attila will come soon , author do you creat legion of rome mod for Attila ? i heard that you only creat units for Rome only

i like the idea of leather segmentata, i wanted to use this type of Armour for crew units as well. so maybe i will start on a leather moder

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Cohortes urbanae did indeed exist but I personally do not think they warrant a unit, they were mostly a 'police' force. But it is of course up to you.
    I still think Legio Macedonia V or perhaps Parthica II ?
    well i was just looking to create a specialty unit, maybe pay a little homage to Rome I. Maybe i could just make it as a separate mod. I have not started on it yet. I was curious to see if there would be any interest it. it does not look like it

Quote Originally Posted by DramaBelli View Post
    Leonardo, would also be nice to see screens from work in progress, I mean, screens of the various phases of 3d modelling and texturing. I think is also an interesting and different view to appreciate this mod.

Andrew's suggestion about segmentata more rusted in rainy and snowy regions and leather clothes in Southern regions would be nice to spread more differences between the legions.
    i wil post a few pics if i start on leather segmentata

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger tank View Post
    Attila will come soon , author do you creat legion of rome mod for Attila ? i heard that you only creat units for Rome only
    i do plane of moving moving my units over to Attila, However i will have to wait until someone makes a campaign for this this time period for attila.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; February 08, 2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: multiple posts merged

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by itleonard View Post
    i wil post a few pics if i start on leather segmentata

if the goal of lorica segmentata is flexibility, a leather version of it seems counter-intuitive.

madrush's Avatar Senator

why not use the urban cohort to replace the bloody useless posh mob unit?

interesting website featuring a patina finish on the segmentata

http://www.legionten.org/Studies/LXF...legionary.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails patina.jpg  

I do not think you need worry about professional soldiers armour rusting, it is called maintenance and drill. They look after their equipment it is life and death, just like now.
    The archaeology points to LS, LH and LS armour used in temperate and hot regions

Hope this can be helpful (it shows also leather loricas):

http://www.armatureromane.com/products/products.html

Armours here:

http://www.armatureromane.com/produc...fa4d74&mggal=2

(look at ART C15)

my advice is to watch the movie "the passion" by Mel Gibson, there Romans wear leather lorica which look quite realistic. More than those polished and modern looking replicas. Anyway we have found few iron segmentata, all hidden in forts near the borders, this suggests that they were used only for patrolling and other peculiar missions rather than being given to mass of soldiers in campaigns. The fact that the forts (Colbridge and Newstead) where these armors were found were abandoned YET those armors were left there suggests those armors were not used for campaign. Probably they needed so much maintainable and cleaning that it was possible only for stationary troops in forts, while troops going into battle needed more durable equipment, with fewer spare parts and mainly not so subject to rust and climate. This would even explain why the armors shown in Trajan column look to much fitting to the bodies and "flexible" to be made in mild steel (Even considering that the artist made some errors, he surely gave the idea of armors fitting the chests of legionaries like only leather can do). Not to talk of the enormous cost of dressing hundreds thousands people in steel, in an age when iron technology was rather primitive even comparing it to medieval standards (when still the cost of an iron armor was like a modern Ferrari). Mail was expensive too but it had the advantage to last much more.
    Boiled leather offers a very good protection too. It does not rust, it does not get hot or cold, it absorbed blunt trauma better than a thin iron lamina, it does not have sharp edges which could cut your arms in everyday movements. Protecting heavily the chest with iron while leaving neck face thighs arms totally uncovered would be a bit nonsense. If I was a barbarian I would simply aim at those uncovered areas and that expensive clumsy iron protection would become useless.
    Last edited by andrew881thebest; February 07, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/andrew881thebest youtube channel dedicated to rome 2 machinimas and movie battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeOCm5MJJ14 battle in Germany from "Gladiator" movie remade

I cannot argue with someone who presents Hollywood as evidence. Hidden in forts on the borders, do you think perhaps it's because that is where the majority of the legions were based?

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    I cannot argue with someone who presents Hollywood as evidence. Hidden in forts on the borders, do you think perhaps it's because that is where the majority of the legions were based?
    There were hundred thousands guys equipped with lorica segmentata in theory. We have very few examples remaining. Where did all the rest go? Hollywood was simply an example of a well made replica, genius.

leather model

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015_02_07_23_01_00_Greenshot.png  

http://issuu.com/vantilt/docs/romans...ew?e=0/1005438
    This was posted on Kaziel's mod. There are some interesting armours if you want to take a look.

great pic Leonardo, it's interesting to see how's growing step by step!, I'm deeply curious
    yes Andrew, legionaires on the Trajan columns are dressing segmentata also while building a bridge, and this was not reliable unless we consider the narrative purpose. Otherside I completely ignore if there were mixed segmentata, with some parts iron and Others in leather

Quote Originally Posted by DramaBelli View Post
    great pic Leonardo, it's interesting to see how's growing step by step!, I'm deeply curious
    yes Andrew, legionaires on the Trajan columns are dressing segmentata also while building a bridge, and this was not reliable unless we consider the narrative purpose. Otherside I completely ignore if there were mixed segmentata, with some parts iron and Others in leather
    Surely in later periods like 3rd century they used to combined segmentata (not sure if leather or iron since they are bas relieves in many cases) with squamata or hamata. I have seen that in many representations (I could link but need to look for it again so...). My idea is that since they showed to be quite creative and adaptive to circumstances, at least in some cases they would have probably used leather segmentata, cheap effective durable and water/sun proof. Roman empire was rich but I don't think so rich to provide every soldier in every province the super expensive steel armors, even considering that many soldiers never saw a combat in life and were used only to take control of provinces: why should am auxiliary soldier servicing in Africa wear all day long am iron armor; imagine walking exercising and doing manual labor all days wearing it under African sun. It would be a self inflicted punition. No reason to give them all lorica hamata, they were not citizens and probably even poor people. Impractical expensive unreliable (if one ring breaks ir gets rusted all armor is gone). I think that they used leather or iron depending on situation, with iron armors being fewer than we imaginr and used accordingly in limited circumstances (I imagine each garrison in Fort having some steel armors which were given to soldiers going in dangerous missions or horsemen scouting et cetera). My idea.

I agree with you if we're speaking of the legions of the South. I would "see" with which armours were equipped the Legions of Crasso ad Carre for example, or take a look to the legionaries deployed on the hot-line of the front established by Traiano. Weight and heat would not suggest iron armours as the best choice. About the soldiers not fighting I've some doubts, because the increase of menaces during the III sec made necessary the action of legions more than in the past and in many different places; I've read of legions spending months, years marching for miles from a campaign to another one. By this way the Empire collapsed, and by this way legions started to lose their identity being divided between several regions (and step by step here we arrive to the very late Limitanei, "here" I would suppose a lack of regular equipment, meanwhile until the power of Roma was almost full, it was able to equip in the same way the legionaires. I'm based on memories of past studies and some books I've read for personal interests, this means I can be wrong in some way).
    One thing is sure, I often read about segmentata and iron armours but not so much about the use of leather armours in the roman army. I repeat, maybe this can be true for me, since I'm not an historian or something similar; I should investigate this.

http://www.gruppostoricoromano.it/wp...OIO.jpg?3298a1

"The Lorica leather was used at the beginning of ' military organization , in defense of the chest , at first only worn by chiefs and later also by soldiers of the lower classes .The use of this lorica , often reinforced with metal plates , was never completely abandoned , even after the introduction of metal loricae .It had the advantage of being lighter and allow greater freedom of movement. Some commanders , at certain times , depending on the needs and tactics of the moment , did wear leather loricae"

And here this link, it could be also useful to lead and inspire Leonardo: http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_000037.htm

The "Lorica a tre fascioni" in Treviri (= Lorica with 3 bands) it's supposed to be made in not rigid material.

"Modelli a segmenti sovrapposti e chiusura a bottone" (= Armours with overlapped segments and botton closure) should be leather made

The best one is on the "Colonna Antonina" where you see "corsetti anatomici" (= anatomical corsets, it means "all not rigid bands completely adherent to the body"
    Last edited by DramaBelli; February 08, 2015 at 10:41 AM.