Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

No. All the basic subparticles which make up atoms have a wave and material form. They only attain material form when they are observed.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Let me make that more precise: All the mathematical objects in our standard model of particle physics which we refer to as "elementary particles" exhibit a certain wave-particle dualism in the mathematical formulation and the model of "wavy when not observed, particle-ish when observed" yields predictions that coincide well with our measurements in experiments, which themselves rely on other, sophisticated physical/mathematical models to even conduct them.

Read: It is all a model in your head, both the waveform and the particleform (and everything else). Which characteristics this model must have to be logically consistent is what physics is about.

The proper, constructivist notion of "existence" is then that a certain notion we have "exists" if it is constituted by a bunch of logically consistent ideas and empirically coherent perceptions.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Death to Ontology!
    Last edited by Iskar; May 25, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

ruined youth

you lost me at "mathematical objects"
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I don't count as youth anymore. The doctorate left me with several grey hairs...
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

Don't we already have a thread for science-y mumbo jumbo? Let's stick to discussions about bread and abortion here please.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

And about indefinitely suspended users. And about women. Anne Hathaway. Repellent or hot? Both?

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I'm outclassed, I'm dropping this. + rep for the featherhead and birthdayhat Machiavelli.
    Last edited by Påsan; May 25, 2016 at 02:20 PM.

Anne Hathaway died for me with her teary-whiny acting in that terrible space-organ-pseudoscience-ladidah movie a.k.a. Interstellar. Worst movie ever.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    No. All the basic subparticles which make up atoms have a wave and material form. They only attain material form when they are observed.
    All this is irrelevant to the question of reality. Reality is necessarily a negation. Everything in spirit is a negation. You cannot avoid this as a human being. But just because the spiritual is a negation does not negate its reality. For example, even an illusion, a mirage, is real. Everything that appears to spirit is real (otherwise it wouldn't have appeared in the first place). The question I think that you are asking is whether or not there is an objective criterion to distinguish the negation in spirit from what was before the negation occurred.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Anne Hathaway died for me with her teary-whiny acting in that terrible space-organ-pseudoscience-ladidah movie a.k.a. Interstellar. Worst movie ever.
    Clearly you have not seen many movies.

(This coming from a guy who doesn't like Interstellar.)

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Interstellar was alright I guess. Super overrated film though.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Vaðarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Finally I have to do an all-nighter to finish a paper. I wondered when this day would come. Not happy about it.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] því að með lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi með ólögum eyða.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

I never gained a an appreciation for metaphysics. I do like epistemology. In the IB Curriculum there is a course called "Theory of Knowledge" which is largely based on it. Unfortunately, teacher that teach it do so because there enough courses in their primary field.

I didn't see the movie Interstellar. I heard it wasn't very good. I heard Gravity was better aesthetically and more scientifically more accurate, but the plot isn't much better.

When it comes to space movies; arguably 2001: A Space Odyssey sets the standard. Like always the book is supposedly better than the movie. I haven't seen it in years but the plot is appropriate to the discussion. Kubrick's Explanation. (In Euskara if you can believe that)

Soothsayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Just want to know if anybody has had this interesting experience before. I probably have the worst sleep cycle on Earth. Last night I went to be and had my alarm set to a time that would give me over 9hrs of sleep, longer than normal. I fell into a really deep deep sleep and close to waking I had a sleeping paralysis of flys flying around my room (there were couple of flys that I killed around the house prior). After waking out of the paralysis, and I know for a fact I was technically awake, I kept hearing the brief buzzes of a fly. I looked around by never saw one. I then went back to bed but I hear another buzz. Looked around, saw nothing. By this time I was thinking it was just a auditory hallucination. My eyes still felt very weak from being a sleep and I didn't feel fully awake. Going back to sleep, I woke up again hearing an another fly. I got up and saw a "fly" buzzing low at bottom of my screen window. I immediately got the raid (its more easier to kill them that way) and went back to my room to see that the fly was gone. In fact the only fly or black object in that area already seemed dead. I never heard or saw a fly in my room during the entire day from that point. My eyes were still feeling asleep and weak. I looked up what happened after this and it turns out it was visual hallucination from a Hypnopompic.That's basically dreaming while awake, I though that I was going schizophrenic for a moment too. Basically my visual sensory (eyes) were still asleep and coming out of REM.

From all of that, I've read that light or sound during sleep can cause a disturbance in waking, which could cause a hallucination. So I won't be leaving the blinds open anymore, cause they let a lot of morning sun in.

This sums up what I had better.
    Last edited by Soothsayer; May 26, 2016 at 12:46 AM.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

Patrician

Yes I have hallucinated both visually and audibly while trying to wake up.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

You use raid on flies? They're just flies. They don't sting. Raid isn't good for your health and should only be used in case of an infestation or a dangerous insect. Maybe that's why you have hallucinations.

Raid+Acid= Starship Trooper

Patrician

Yeah I'm from Argentina and I say the only good bug is a dead bug!

Soothsayer's Avatar Campidoctor

It's pretty much a confirmed kill with raid. I rather use that than trying to swat it for 20 minutes.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
    Just want to know if anybody has had this interesting experience before. I probably have the worst sleep cycle on Earth. Last night I went to be and had my alarm set to a time that would give me over 9hrs of sleep, longer than normal. I fell into a really deep deep sleep and close to waking I had a sleeping paralysis of flys flying around my room (there were couple of flys that I killed around the house prior). After waking out of the paralysis, and I know for a fact I was technically awake, I kept hearing the brief buzzes of a fly. I looked around by never saw one. I then went back to bed but I hear another buzz. Looked around, saw nothing. By this time I was thinking it was just a auditory hallucination. My eyes still felt very weak from being a sleep and I didn't feel fully awake. Going back to sleep, I woke up again hearing an another fly. I got up and saw a "fly" buzzing low at bottom of my screen window. I immediately got the raid (its more easier to kill them that way) and went back to my room to see that the fly was gone. In fact the only fly or black object in that area already seemed dead. I never heard or saw a fly in my room during the entire day from that point. My eyes were still feeling asleep and weak. I looked up what happened after this and it turns out it was visual hallucination from a Hypnopompic.That's basically dreaming while awake, I though that I was going schizophrenic for a moment too. Basically my visual sensory (eyes) were still asleep and coming out of REM.

From all of that, I've read that light or sound during sleep can cause a disturbance in waking, which could cause a hallucination. So I won't be leaving the blinds open anymore, cause they let a lot of morning sun in.

This sums up what I had better.
    Check this Sleep paralysis
    Happened to me a few months ago. Summarizing, I couldnt move the left side of my body because "a (friendly, thanks god) spirit" was lying in bed with me over that side of my body.
    Last edited by mishkin; May 26, 2016 at 03:30 AM.