Thread: Will there be Germanic Factions dlc some day?

Default Will there be Germanic Factions dlc some day?

Can we expect more germanic factions, maybe as DLC? I mean only 1 faction is really not much if you compare it to the gallic faction numbers... Or are the marcomanni maybe playable with emperors on GC (i dont mean emperors campgn)?

Default Re: Will there be Germanic Factions dlc some day?

I'm afraid not:

Originally Posted by Nico CA
    Morning all, Thanks for your feedback. The announcement we recently posted about the playable factions of Imperator Augustus might have confused a few of you, so let me confirm this again. There will be 10 playable factions in our free Imperator Augustus campaign. The roman triumvirat (Octavian, Marc Antony, Lepidus), Sextus Pompey, Iceni, Dacian, Egypt and Parthia (which you already know from the Grande Campaign), Armenia (new faction) and Marcomanni. If you wish to play a Germanic faction in the Imperator Augustus campaign, Marcomanni will be the one. It won’t be available in the Grand Campaign simply because it is a different context. I wanted to start a Suebi campaign in the GC but I may actually start one with the Marcomanni in the Imperator Augustus one Their starting position gives so much potential to various scenarios. If you plan to play with the Marcomanni, how do you plan to expand your confederation? Ally with Octavian to get rid of Marc Antony? Or maybe you'll do an alliance with Antony to assure a defense line against Octavian while you're taking control of the east? Something else maybe? - Nico

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...=1#post1205246

As for the other part of your question: I hardly see the point in only have one faction compared to the multitude of other factions some of the other breakdowns have. I'm sure we will get something sooner or later. I hope....

texoman81's Avatar Ducenarius

Them listing the faction that will be playable for the Augustus campaign does not mean that no more will be made available through dlc. They have said repetitively that dlc will continue for another year, and most of it has included new playable factions so far so i don't see why that would change. And up until now, when a faction was made playable in mini, it was automatically playable in the grand campaign too, but i guess this doesn't apply to the Augustus campaign initially. I really don't see any reason they aren't making all the faction that are playable on other campaign playable on the augustus campaign as well

There reasoning was that it was "different context". Which is somewhat ironic considering their other decisions (army reforms, etc.). Not that I would have made better decisions, mind you, I just might have worded things differently.

I think either a Germanic culture pack is coming or perhaps a Barbarian culture pack that would include Germanic and celtic tribe. I really don't see them putting in the Marcomanni but leaving out the Cherusci. Especially as much as we've seen about the Teutoburg Forest. Varus is a general is the Augusutus campaign. I mean come on they HAVE to let us wipe out his 3 legions with Arminius

I can see the Cherusci coming out as well as perhaps something from the Isles. I would like that actually.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by texoman81 View Post
    I think either a Germanic culture pack is coming or perhaps a Barbarian culture pack that would include Germanic and celtic tribe. I really don't see them putting in the Marcomanni but leaving out the Cherusci. Especially as much as we've seen about the Teutoburg Forest. Varus is a general is the Augusutus campaign. I mean come on they HAVE to let us wipe out his 3 legions with Arminius
    After the Iceni, Nervi, Arverni, Boii, Tylis, and Galatians, you're saying that the game needs even more Celtic tribes swarming all over the Grand Campaign conquering more powerful factions with armies of spear levies?

I'd love to see another playable Germanic faction but I highly doubt if it's going to happen. It's 270 BC and there simply wasn't yet enough diversification among the Germanic tribes to justify creating a new playable faction. Europa Barbarorum II has a Lugii faction but even they could not come up with any units for them except for spearmen and skirmishers. Pretty much everything that archaeologists know about pre-Roman Iron Age Germanic warfare is found in the Suebi faction, and they're made to represent Germanic tribes as a whole. Were the Cherusci to be made playable, we would begin to hear more about "cookie cutter factions"

As you can see with the Imperator Augustus Campaign, Germanic tribes have expanded a bit at the expense of their former Celtic neighbors and have begun making their mark felt on the world. I believe that you'll begin to see more playable Germanic factions once we have a Barbarian Invasion/Late Roman era campaign, as the Germanic tribes will have had centuries of contact with the civilized world and produce more diverse units/armies.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Them listing the faction that will be playable for the Augustus campaign does not mean that no more will be made available through dlc. They have said repetitively that dlc will continue for another year, and most of it has included new playable factions so far so i don't see why that would change. And up until now, when a faction was made playable in mini, it was automatically playable in the grand campaign too, but i guess this doesn't apply to the Augustus campaign initially. I really don't see any reason they aren't making all the faction that are playable on other campaign playable on the augustus campaign as well
    They will still keep offering dlc's, they wouldn't have made so many if there wasn't a lucrative revenue stream from it (although, apart from the campaign dlc's, I think making people pay for such small amounts of content is disgusting), they are going to be fewer and further between now though, I think on the 26th (I may be wrong) CA is announcing the new total war game it is developing so I'm sure they will be dedicating a lot of time to its development from now onwards. I highly doubt that there will be another campaign dlc, although I hope im wrong, but it is very possible there will be more faction dlc's and more unit packs. So the possibility of another Germa faction is still there

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    As you can see with the Imperator Augustus Campaign, Germanic tribes have expanded a bit at the expense of their former Celtic neighbors and have begun making their mark felt on the world. I believe that you'll begin to see more playable Germanic factions once we have a Barbarian Invasion/Late Roman era campaign, as the Germanic tribes will have had centuries of contact with the civilized world and produce more diverse units/armies.
    One tribe that could have been added for the germans in this time period who were relatively famous were the Batavians. They could have started as a Roman Client kingdom and have incorporated a cross between legionary influenced units and strong barbarian cavalry. I really hope there is a barbarian invasion, I thoroughly enjoy that time period, I find it very fun trying to hold together the crumbling Roman empire

After the Iceni, Nervi, Arverni, Boii, Tylis, and Galatians, you're saying that the game needs even more Celtic tribes swarming all over the Grand Campaign conquering more powerful factions with armies of spear levies?

I'd love to see another playable Germanic faction but I highly doubt if it's going to happen. It's 270 BC and there simply wasn't yet enough diversification among the Germanic tribes to justify creating a new playable faction. Europa Barbarorum II has a Lugii faction but even they could not come up with any units for them except for spearmen and skirmishers. Pretty much everything that archaeologists know about pre-Roman Iron Age Germanic warfare is found in the Suebi faction, and they're made to represent Germanic tribes as a whole. Were the Cherusci to be made playable, we would begin to hear more about "cookie cutter factions"

Tylis should not have ever been included at all, especially giving it a city that didn't belong to it. The others are all legitimate and there should be a lot of Celtic tribes because they were widespread at the time period. Just as there should be many Hellenistic factions as they dominated the world before the rise of Rome. And many even consider Rome itself to be Hellenistic. It was definitely very influenced by the Greeks but i wouldn't go that far myself. The Iceni and Nervi aren't as much alike as the others as they are Britons and Belgae and not Gauls. And btw the Nervi are as Germani as the Lugii i think. The Lugii were a confederation that included Germanic, Celtic, and Baltic tribes. The Belgae were mixture of Gauls and Germans with an older element underlaying. I believe the Nervii were one of the tribes that considered themselves more German than Gallic or Belgae, or at least considered their ancestors to have been German. Would you really just want one or two factions for each culture? We got Macedon so no need for Athens, Sparta, Eprirus, Ptolemies, Seleucids, Bactria etc? There isn't a hardcoded limit so the more factions playable the better. As more and more factions become available there is less need for them to be as different from the rest. Playing EB2 i love playing as the Aedui and Arverni even though they are very similar. Also mentioning EB2 they will have plenty of units for the Lugiones. Only the beta has been released and it has less than have the units the final will have. And even now, though i haven't played a campaign as the Lugiones yet, i do know they have a lot more units than 2 because of all the mercs i got. I'm on a different campaign now but i know there was cavalry and pretty sure several more infantry. They can also incorporate German, Celtic, and Baltic troops. You are right the Germanic tribes should become more relevant to the the Augustus campaign and even more so going further forward in time, while there will be less Celtic and Greek factions.
    Last edited by texoman81; September 13, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollBane View Post
    They will still keep offering dlc's, they wouldn't have made so many if there wasn't a lucrative revenue stream from it (although, apart from the campaign dlc's, I think making people pay for such small amounts of content is disgusting), they are going to be fewer and further between now though, I think on the 26th (I may be wrong) CA is announcing the new total war game it is developing so I'm sure they will be dedicating a lot of time to its development from now onwards. I highly doubt that there will be another campaign dlc, although I hope im wrong, but it is very possible there will be more faction dlc's and more unit packs. So the possibility of another Germa faction is still there
    The plans since Rome II was released was to put out patches and DLC for Rome II for two years, so we are only halfway done. I think DLC will continue at about the same rate, though obviously patching will slow. While i dislike most of the small DLC, i do think making it DLC is good because it makes it optional. I do not want the ahistorical women and animals and i put off the blood pack until i updated my graphics card. If they would give us proper modding tools and learn to treat their customers with honesty and respect i would continue to throw money at them as i had for years. But i've now decided i'm not buying anything new from CA until things change drastically. That said they obviously don't care how much of their formerly very loyal fan base they alienate, the following year will be much the same as the previous. The next Total War title announcement may seem sudden to us, but its been part of there plan for a long time i'm sure and i doubt it will change the 2 year plan for Rome II

There will almost certainly be more Germanic and Brittonic tribes some time in the future. My main reasoning being that under the Faction Menu list we have the plural Germanic and Brittonic Tribes rather than tribe.

Tylis should not have ever been included at all, especially giving it a city that didn't belong to it.
    I totally agree. As a faction, they're a pretty interesting Celto-Thracian construct, but in my opinion CA really got the whole Celtic migration into the Balkans thing terribly wrong. Tribes/entities like the Scordisci, Tylis, etc were still mostly Thracian/Illyrian in nature but had a Celtic ruling elite that quickly disappeared and assimilated into the larger Balkan population. Only in Galatia did the Celtic migrators survive in a long lasting political form.

Would you really just want one or two factions for each culture? We got Macedon so no need for Athens, Sparta, Eprirus, Ptolemies, Seleucids, Bactria etc? There isn't a hardcoded limit so the more factions playable the better. As more and more factions become available there is less need for them to be as different from the rest. Playing EB2 i love playing as the Aedui and Arverni even though they are very similar.
    This is ultimately why I'm going to end up not playing EB 2 very much...I'm really bored of 270 BC campaigns and fighting Hellenistic States and Celts all the time. The Augustus Campaign is going to be sweet simply because I will see a lot more Germans, Romans, and Parthians.

Also mentioning EB2 they will have plenty of units for the Lugiones. Only the beta has been released and it has less than have the units the final will have. And even now, though i haven't played a campaign as the Lugiones yet, i do know they have a lot more units than 2 because of all the mercs i got. I'm on a different campaign now but i know there was cavalry and pretty sure several more infantry. They can also incorporate German, Celtic, and Baltic troops. You are right the Germanic tribes should become more relevant to the the Augustus campaign and even more so going further forward in time, while there will be less Celtic and Greek factions.
    I'm not sure how well CA would manage to portray that, especially creating the proto Baltic elements that probably existed in the Lugiones area during that time. They'd probably simply end up mixing Celtic and Germanic troops and calling it something new and that would completely ruin the experience for me. I think that CA kinda missed the ball on one interesting faction - the Daco-Germanic Bastarnae. Imagine a faction with a mixture of Dacian and Germanic infantry as well as Sarmatian cavalry elements late game.

Mabzie55's Avatar Civis

I sure hope so.

I totally agree. As a faction, they're a pretty interesting Celto-Thracian construct, but in my opinion CA really got the whole Celtic migration into the Balkans thing terribly wrong. Tribes/entities like the Scordisci, Tylis, etc were still mostly Thracian/Illyrian in nature but had a Celtic ruling elite that quickly disappeared and assimilated into the larger Balkan population. Only in Galatia did the Celtic migrators survive in a long lasting political form. For the Lugiones, i don't know if any of the Baltic troop types will be recruitable directly by the Lugiones, but you can already get the mercs in your starting territories and have them form a major element of your armies from the beginning. They also have many Lugioni (thats not the right adjective form but you know what i mean) troops that by definition would represent a combination of races. I made a thread about the Bastarnae in EB2 as they have been merged with the neighboring Alazones because some resins have to be removed to allow for the map to expand further east. While playing as the Bastarnae would be interesting, they were more prevalent fighting in the armies of other than fighting as a united force. I"ve gotten used to them as mercs, and as a goal to conquer especially for the Getae or Sweboz. Ultimately i'd like every faction to be fleshed out and playable.

This is ultimately why I'm going to end up not playing EB 2 very much...I'm really bored of 270 BC campaigns and fighting Hellenistic States and Celts all the time. The Augustus Campaign is going to be sweet simply because I will see a lot more Germans, Romans, and Parthians.

I'm not sure how well CA would manage to portray that, especially creating the proto Baltic elements that probably existed in the Lugiones area during that time. They'd probably simply end up mixing Celtic and Germanic troops and calling it something new and that would completely ruin the experience for me. I think that CA kinda missed the ball on one interesting faction - the Daco-Germanic Bastarnae. Imagine a faction with a mixture of Dacian and Germanic infantry as well as Sarmatian cavalry elements late game.
    Your preference for the Augustus time period would just show that you are bored with Hellenistic times and or just prefer later times. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with accurately portraying the Hellenistic period with the vast number of Hellenes and Kelts.

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

Not relevant to most of the period.

If the Nomads can get a pack I'm sure the Germans can.

Your preference for the Augustus time period would just show that you are bored with Hellenistic times and or just prefer later times. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with accurately portraying the Hellenistic period with the vast number of Hellenes and Kelts.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingCroppy View Post
    If the Nomads can get a pack I'm sure the Germans can.
    There is a whole wealth of information about the Scytho-Sarmatians in Russian historiography/archaeology but unfortunately most of it dates back from Soviet times and has not been translated into English. They were quite significant from the first millennium BC until the first half of the first millennium during our era. Prior to the game's time frame they raided the Dacians, Assyrians, Persians, and Babylonians. During the time frame of R2 the Scythians were fabulously rich due to trade with the Greek cities on the northern Black Sea coast and buried their dead in elaborate kurgans that can be found all over Moldova, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and Russia today. They also migrated into Crimea and Dobrudja during this time and defeated a massive invasion led by the Makedonian general Zopryion at Olbia. However, they were already on the decline by this time and Sarmatian tribes like the Iazyges and Roxolani were starting to usurp the Scythians' position as kings of the Pontic Steppe. The Roxolani in particular aided the Dacians during the Dacian Wars while the Iazyges completely destroyed the Legio XXI Rapax before settling in Pannonia and providing cavalry for the Roman army. The Sarmatians remained in power for many centuries until the Gothic and Hunnic invasions of Late Antiquity.

Far to the east in Siberia, the Scythians managed to last a little longer and sent into motion a chain of invasions that conquered Baktra and founded an empire in India that lasted until the fourth century AD.

A Nomadic Faction DLC makes total sense.
    Last edited by Darios; September 14, 2014 at 07:39 PM.