Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rome II DLCs...

Mabzie55's Avatar Civis

Default Rome II DLCs...

Now that there have been like 15 patches I'm finally going to buy this game.

Now I love DLCs (just not paying for them) and bought many (but not all) for Shogun 2, and Empire-- and all for FOTS.

But...
    Which DLCs are worth the money?
    I plan to get the Greek States pack to play as all the Greek states. I also am going to get Beasts of War DLC for sure.

As far as the others, I don't really plan on playing as pirates and raiders or nomads (well maybe Royal Syth at some point), but in the past I've enjoyed playing against DLC buffed factions in the campaign. So is it worth it to get these just to play against?

And finally daughters of mars... 50/50 on this one. Suebi get a unit so that's a plus. (I plan to play Suebi first and multiple times.)
    I guess I'm one of those people who gets Rome II to play as Suebi, Epirus, and Sparta... Not Rome. I probably will try about 6 or 7 factions before doing Rome.

But what are your thoughts on the DLC value? (Especially how much the DLCs effect the AI factions)

Default Re: Rome II DLCs...

Trust me and don't buy the Beasts of War. It's just full of ridiculous units, like scorpions-throwing onagers and crocodilemen. If you want armored elephants or camel cataphracts, you can find them in a mod.

The faction DLCs are nice, although I guess you can get them via mods as well? I am not sure. There were mods that unlocked all factions on day one pretty much.

Greek states is nice. Sparta can be really fun to play and Epirus is a nice challenge.

I would suggest Caesar in Gaul.You can play as suebi, too. It was my best Campaignexperience in a total war game since medieval 2. It was challanging like hell because the winter takes a few turns and if your troops are needed elsewhere they suffer a lots of attrition. So you have to think where you put your troops on the campaignmap, something i almost forgotten, cause in Empire and Napoleon noone needed it to do.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

http://www.greenmangaming.com/sega-week/
    Total war sale atm,
    good opertunity to buy all dlc except daughter of Mars,Beast of war and whatever factions you don't intend to play.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Mabzie55 View Post
    I plan to get the Greek States pack to play as all the Greek states. I also am going to get Beasts of War DLC for sure.

As far as the others, I don't really plan on playing as pirates and raiders or nomads (well maybe Royal Syth at some point), but in the past I've enjoyed playing against DLC buffed factions in the campaign. So is it worth it to get these just to play against?

And finally daughters of mars... 50/50 on this one. Suebi get a unit so that's a plus. (I plan to play Suebi first and multiple times.)
    I guess I'm one of those people who gets Rome II to play as Suebi, Epirus, and Sparta... Not Rome. I probably will try about 6 or 7 factions before doing Rome.

But what are your thoughts on the DLC value? (Especially how much the DLCs effect the AI factions)
    Honestly none of the DLC is worth very much. If you play a lot multiplayer it might makes sense, I've heard that some people can't host unless they have the DLC or perhaps they like to compete with expanded unit rosters. The campaigns -- at least HatG -- is a smaller scale version of the grand campaign. Same grind, OK but nothing new. As far as faction DLC, well I guess people have their reasons (factions are locked from modding) ...but none of the DLC factions are compelling for this historical period.

Well, hold your horses...I think you can buy the vanilla game now and it will update on the 16th to include all dlc and the Augustus campaign for free won't it?

Please don't rush into buying DLCs before you've played the base game. I've seen a few boneheads who couldn't run the game, had to wait for performance to increase or were just generally disappointed in the repetitiveness feeling of the GC yet out of excitement had already purchased all the DLCs which they don't have much interest in using having played or tried to play the base game.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin of Jerusalem View Post
    Well, hold your horses...I think you can buy the vanilla game now and it will update on the 16th to include all dlc and the Augustus campaign for free won't it?
    No the DLC that they asked money for will be locked in the Emperor edition and they are still charging extra for it.

Actually the Caesar in Gaul is the more fun in my opinion - more different from the GC than HatG

otherwise take all the faction DLC

and non of the unit DLC

and HaTG is50-50

lawandorder82's Avatar Ducenarius

Hatg or ceaser in gaul both are very good
    Albundy for president 2019 my lets play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9iZV...azsoGel3_b_7rA

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Mabzie55 View Post
    Now that there have been like 15 patches I'm finally going to buy this game.

Now I love DLCs (just not paying for them) and bought many (but not all) for Shogun 2, and Empire-- and all for FOTS.

But...

Any case wait for a Steam sale or look at onlinekeystore.com to get a reasonable price
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Get them all mate. At long as they're sold more than 50% off their original price.

But of course it's your money and it's up to you to decide their worth.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I agree with some others. Buy the campaign DLC (CiG, HatG), both are quite good. I haven't bought all of the faction dlc packs, I am not sure if some of them interest me. The best bet is to ask yourself "will i use it?". The same logic can be applied to the unit packs. I am not a fan (at all) of the bests of war dlc, so i didn't buy it! But if it looks like your thing then don't worry about what we do and don't like just get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrince View Post
    But if it looks like your thing then don't worry about what we do and don't like just get what you want.
    this is wisdom right here

Quote Originally Posted by the lightning legion View Post
    this is wisdom right here
    He doesn't know what he wants so he is asking us what we think.

IMO the DLC is NOT worth it. I've explained why. No one seems to be able to explain why it is worth it (except Son of a Preacher), so why don't you give it a whirl?

will he use it?

if so go ahead
    if not don't bother

I am not going to write an essay of reasons I like a DLC just to try and convince someone else to try it because people vary

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post

IMO the DLC is NOT worth it. I've explained why. No one seems to be able to explain why it is worth it (except Son of a Preacher), so why don't you give it a whirl?
    He must have a general idea of what he would like and doesn't like, however I can totally understand asking for peoples opinions on the dlcs. I was just trying to point out though that these are only going to inform his decisions and in the end of the day he should buy what he thinks he will like, not just buy because people here have told him to.

As for the dlc I think the campaign ones are worth it. I have spent several of my hours of gameplay playing CiG and HatG. I found GiG particularly enjoyable and a quite unique when compared to the GC. I feel I have already got my moneys worth with how much I have played them, and I plan to continue playing them again as different factions. So to me they are worth it. Whether that applies to someone else is not for me to say.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post

Unless money is an issue, the wisdom is in 'I rather have it while not needing it rather than I don't have it when I need it'. Since the DLCs are optional and does not cost billions of dollars to purchase the only one who can put the worth in it is the (intended) buyer.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Mabzie55's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by the lightning legion View Post
    will he use it?

if so go ahead
    if not don't bother

I am not going to write an essay of reasons I like a DLC just to try and convince someone else to try it because people vary
    For the raider and nomands packs it's not a matter of using it.
    It's "will the AI build the special units/be effected by the pack?"
    I probably will not play raiders but I will fight them.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast