Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyrrhus at the Gates (HAG overhaul)

Default Pyrrhus at the Gates (HAG overhaul)

Hello everyone. I'm Hildor - I rarely visit these forums, but those who post in the other ones may recognise me. Anyway, I'm putting up this thread (I think it's in the right sub-forum) to promote my latest mod - Pyrrhus at the gates. Set in 280 BC, it uses the HAG map to recreate the campaigns of Pyrrhus of Epirus and his wars against Rome and Carthage.

I'll quote the mod description to save me typing it

"The year is 280, and the most powerful man in Greece has received a call for help - from the cities of Magna Grecia, who are under attack from the soon to be superpower of the Roman republic. Pyrrhus of Epirus has answered that call to arms, and has made landfall in the city of Tarentum, whose citizens have welcomed him with open arms - while the other free cities of Italy ; Thurii , Croton and Syracuse have announced their allegiance to him. His army, the veterans of hundreds of battles are bolstered by Illyrian, Cretan and Rhodian contigents, while Macedonian and Tarentine cavalry protect his flanks. Truly, it is an army assembled from all over the known world, ready to show true Hellenic strength to the barbarous Roman upstarts - and what better to put the fear of the gods in them than 20 mighty war elephants, on loan from the mighty Ptolemy of Egypt!

However, the elitism of his army may prove to be Pyrrhus's Achilles heel - each man is irreplacable, and every unit lost is gone forever. As time goes on, with every Pyrrhic victory, Pyrrhus will have to resort to using local Italian and mercenary forces to fill his ranks - while his Roman foes, fighting on their own territory, have unlimited manpower. It is not just the Romans Pyrrhus must worry about - he must protect his allies in Sicily, and that will mean coming into conflict with the mighty trade empire of Carthage, which will be more than happy to take the side of the young republic. If Pyrrhus can keep his allies safe, his enemies broken and the core of his army intact, he may yet establish an empire to rival that of Alexander - or maybe surpass him to establish Epirus as a true superpower! "

Anyway, if you have any comments, suggestion etc, please post them here or in the comments on the mod page

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...54&searchtext=

Hildor

Default Re: Pyrrhus at the Gates (HAG overhaul)

Non steam link please!

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Nice mod, I picked it up of steam the other day

At least it may stop CA of adding this as a DLC now! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    At least it may stop CA of adding this as a DLC now! Lol
    Sadly, I don't think my simple mod would be able to compete with a fully fleshed out DLC But at least I'd be able to claim that they copied me

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hildor View Post
    Sadly, I don't think my simple mod would be able to compete with a fully fleshed out DLC But at least I'd be able to claim that they copied me
    Dont knock yourself mate!! you done a great job here and even my modding experience could not produce a mod like this! +reps and well done again mate

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Dont knock yourself mate!! you done a great job here and even my modding experience could not produce a mod like this! +reps and well done again mate
    Thanks , and good work with the all in one mod!

Updated to add larger Carthaginian presence on Sicily, ETL at war with Rome to take pressure away from Epirus at the start of the campaign, Beneventum renamed to Maleventum (it's actual name at the time, Pyrrhus's defeat there merited a name change from "bad event" to "good event")

I seem to have made it onto the TW center front page! What merited that decision?

blazerek's Avatar Foederatus

This looks awesome, if only I had HATG..........

Quote Originally Posted by blazerek View Post
    This looks awesome, if only I had HATG..........
    I'd say it's worth it - you get three decent factions, a neat but sadly unscripted historical campaign, and access to multiple campaign conversion mods like this and Spartacus Rises

Non steam link please

Quote Originally Posted by pokekid56 View Post
    Non steam link please!
    http://gaddons.org/workshop

This website can download steam workshop files for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Extradaemon View Post
    http://gaddons.org/workshop

This website can download steam workshop files for you.
    you made my day m8! many thx

Why ask for a non-steam link? You can only run this game through steam, so I don't get it? Is there a good reason or are the people constantly asking for it just stubborn and have no other good reason then that they hate steam?

Anyway mod looks great, I haven't played HatG yet, still on my arevaci campaign in the main campaign... Turn 450 now or something and I started with that later because I had still a Epirus campaign running from the update way, way, way back that added extra units to Epirus, so those DLC and Free LC come to fast, or I'm not spending enough time playing this game..

it's probably because they have a non steam version of rome 2. ( a crack )

so they need to manually update the files, mods with pfm

just buy the game! I did and it's so much easier, as well as a lot more mods to choose from

great mod op

Quote Originally Posted by Swamidude View Post
    Why ask for a non-steam link? You can only run this game through steam, so I don't get it? Is there a good reason or are the people constantly asking for it just stubborn and have no other good reason then that they hate steam?

Anyway mod looks great, I haven't played HatG yet, still on my arevaci campaign in the main campaign... Turn 450 now or something and I started with that later because I had still a Epirus campaign running from the update way, way, way back that added extra units to Epirus, so those DLC and Free LC come to fast, or I'm not spending enough time playing this game..
    It's just people that pirate the game...
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

actually there are other reasons to get non steam versions than just having a pirated game.

I dont have a pirated game and prefer packs which aren't on workshop to those that are as steam makes back ups of those packs and my disk space is limited and interferes with updates of Rome 2.

Also if i want to look in a games pack files, if i get the non steam version i know exactly where it is once i download it. If i get the steam version then I have to launch the mod manager before it is copied to the data folder.

Im sure others may have other legitimate reasons for preferring non steam links

I'll echo what others have said. For one, yes, I hate Steam. Loathe it. Like Magnar, I like to have control over where the content goes when I'm looking at mods. I like to take a look and manage them myself. So, I prefer non-Steam links. The mod manager through Steam also doesn't give you much control over your mods.

While pirates may use them, that isn't the only reason people prefer to just hit download on a link to get a mod.

mester's Avatar Tiro

Seems interesting. Could you tell me please how you changed the starting date of the campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by mester View Post
    Seems interesting. Could you tell me please how you changed the starting date of the campaign?
    I used the assembly kit (Dave), going into the starting positions form, changing the date in the top right hand corner to the one I wanted, then exported it. Then I ran the game, took the number that was given as the start date (it wasn't the one I put in), then fed that number into the assembly kit. Once I exported that, that gave me the correct starting date

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast