Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Well George Lucas considered it as a fairy tale that happened to be in space.

The force is magic. No more real than whatever goes on in Harry Potter universe (Or in the bible/whatever religion for anyone that dont believe in them) There's absolutely nothing Science Fiction about the force, no matter how they justify it in-universe it remains supernatural.

There's a discussion about it here with these star wars fans.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 08, 2015 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Every story has a formula. It's the little bits you add to it. This is like when I point to your cell phone and tell you there's about five basic parts to it that make it what it is. You bought what you did because of all the little whistles and bells surrounding those basic parts. I really don't give two craps about that little classical formula. And you don't give a crap about the five basic parts of your phone. Every phone has them. Seriously dude. Come to me with an interesting argument.
    How about you come to me with a coherent one? It's a bit lazy to write something besides the point and then claim it's my argument that is uninteresting... er, no, that's not how it works.

Also, you ignore the PT it's Science Fantasy. If you don't ignore the PT, it steers the Force into something more sci-fi because the Jedi Order's been doing this for tens of thousands of years.
    Tolkien's Middle Earth also spans thousands of years, explains how the magic/power works (gods being real) and creates a big historic context. Doesn't make it anything else but fantasy. a lot of fantasy sets frameworks by partly explaining how their supernatural aspects supposedly work. Science Fiction is generally about scenarios of our reality with a firm set of what ifs (generally build on technological advancements or specific diversion from our known history), Star Wars explicitly says it is a tale about something somewhere entirely different. The only difference to high fantasy is the used theme of spaceships and aliens, but that is only aesthetics and atmosphere.

It's not really a difficult argument to make which might make it uninteresting but still valid and no, the PT doesn't help it even though it tried to do a more political (?) story (doesn't help that it's crap at it but having a slightly different focus doesn't change the prophecy aspect and the still fundamental struggle of Good vs. Evil).

Imo Frank Herbert's Dune would be a more interesting case of something really straddling the line because its so deep into mysticism and at the same time about various considerations of human advancement.

Star Wars is really easy.
    Last edited by Mangalore; December 08, 2015 at 04:55 PM.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Star Wars did descend into mysticism and magic, which were largely peripheral in the first three movies.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    How about you come to me with a coherent one? It's a bit lazy to write something besides the point and then claim it's my argument that is uninteresting... er, no, that's not how it works.
    Really? You don't like the fact that every story of similar types can be broken down into four to five key elements? Major tropes? It's the whistles and bells and decorations added onto this, and often the storywriters ability to do storytelling that make them what it is. You don't like this, go back to reading ancient mythology. That's where it all started, when it was creative. Everything you ever read or watch is ripping off that stuff. Me, I'll find any story I like and you can sit there in your wrongness and be wrong, whether I can break it down to those common elements and you can't.

Tolkien's Middle Earth also spans thousands of years, explains how the magic/power works (gods being real) and creates a big historic context. Doesn't make it anything else but fantasy. a lot of fantasy sets frameworks by partly explaining how their supernatural aspects supposedly work. Science Fiction is generally about scenarios of our reality with a firm set of what ifs (generally build on technological advancements or specific diversion from our known history), Star Wars explicitly says it is a tale about something somewhere entirely different. The only difference to high fantasy is the used theme of spaceships and aliens, but that is only aesthetics and atmosphere.

It's not really a difficult argument to make which might make it uninteresting but still valid and no, the PT doesn't help it even though it tried to do a more political (?) story (doesn't help that it's crap at it but having a slightly different focus doesn't change the prophecy aspect and the still fundamental struggle of Good vs. Evil).

Imo Frank Herbert's Dune would be a more interesting case of something really straddling the line because its so deep into mysticism and at the same time about various considerations of human advancement.

Star Wars is really easy.
    Tolkien's story spans four or five. Eighty if you count the Hobbit. With a huge black space in the middle there. Really couldn't give two crap's less about the rest of the history. Star Wars gets its sci-fi variance on the force from actually being able to do a blood-count and tell if someone is force sensitive, and turns it into something more psionic than magical. But people like to block out the Prequel Trilogy however canonical it is.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Well George Lucas considered it as a fairy tale that happened to be in space.

The force is magic. No more real than whatever goes on in Harry Potter universe (Or in the bible/whatever religion for anyone that dont believe in them) There's absolutely nothing Science Fiction about the force, no matter how they justify it in-universe it remains supernatural.

There's a discussion about it here with these star wars fans.
    Star Wars is a Space Opera - a subgenre of Science Fiction. One where the science and technology is a backdrop for the Story, contrasted with "Hard" Science-Fiction where the science is the story. Much of where the confusion lies is because Star Wars borrows from the Epic genre, but that does not make it any less of a sci-fi film series. Much like how Super Hero films are really sci-fi films, and you could say that the Force is very much a super power.

though this is an interesting (but old) website about the science of Turbolasers! http://www.stardestroyer.net/tlc/

To quote Wikipedia a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by Star Wars
    Star Wars is an American epic space opera franchise centered on a film series created by George Lucas. It depicts the adventures of various characters "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", mostly involving, but not limited to, the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Wars themes
    Aside from its well known science fictional technology, Star Wars features elements such as knighthood, chivalry, and princesses that are related to archetypes of the fantasy genre. The Star Wars world, unlike fantasy and science-fiction films that featured sleek and futuristic settings, was portrayed as dirty and grimy. Lucas' vision of a "used future" was further popularized in the science fiction-horror films Alien, which was set on a dirty space freighter; Mad Max 2, which is set in a post-apocalyptic desert; and Blade Runner, which is set in a crumbling, dirty city of the future
    Quote Originally Posted by Characteristics of an Epic
    The term "epic" originally came from the poetic genre exemplified by such works as the Illiad, Epic of Gilgamesh, or the Odyssey. In classical literature, epics are considered works focused on deeds or journeys of heroes upon which the fate of a large number of people depend. Similarly, films described as "epic" typically take a historical character, or a mythic heroic figure. Common subjects of epics are royalty, gladiators, great military leaders, or leading personalities from various periods in world history. However, there are some films described as "epic" almost solely on the basis of their enormous scope and the sweeping panorama of their settings such as How the West was Won or East of Eden that do not have the typical substance of classical epics but are directed in an epic style.

When described as "epic" because of content, an epic movie is often set during a time of war or other societal crisis, while covering a long span of time, in terms of both the events depicted and the running time of the film. Such films usually have a historical setting, although fantasy or science fiction settings have become common in recent decades. The central conflict of the film is usually seen as having far-reaching effects, often changing the course of history. The main characters' actions are often central to the resolution of the societal conflict.

In its classification of films by genre, the American Film Institute limits the genre to historical films such as Ben-Hur. However, film scholars such as Constantine Santas are willing to extend the label to science-fiction films such as 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Wars. Nickolas Haydock suggests that "Surely one of the hardest film genres to define is that of the "epic" film, encompassing such examples as Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind....and more recently, 300 and the Star Wars films...none of these comes from literary epics per se, and there is little that links them with one another. Among those who espouse film genre studies, epic is one of the most despised and ignored genres" Finally, although the American Movie Channel formally defines epic films as historical films, they nonetheless state the epic film may be combined with the genre of science-fiction and cite Star Wars as an example.
    and finally, Space Opera

Quote Originally Posted by Space Opera
    Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space, and often risk-taking as well as chivalric; usually involving conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons and other sophisticated technology. The term has no relation to music but is instead a play on the term "horse opera", which was coined during the heyday of silent movies to indicate clichéd and formulaic western movies. Space operas emerged in the 1930s and they continue to be produced in literature, film, comics and video games.

Notable space opera books include the Foundation series (1942–1999) by Isaac Asimov et al. and the Ender's Game Series (1985–present) by Orson Scott Card. An early notable space opera film was Flash Gordon (1936–present) created by Alex Raymond. In the late 1970s, the Star Wars franchise (1977–present) created by George Lucas brought a great deal of attention to the genre.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; December 09, 2015 at 10:13 PM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Star Wars is a Space Opera - a subgenre of Science Fiction. One where the science and technology is a backdrop for the Story, contrasted with "Hard" Science-Fiction where the science is the story. Much of where the confusion lies is because Star Wars borrows from the Epic genre, but that does not make it any less of a sci-fi film series. Much like how Super Hero films are really sci-fi films, and you could say that the Force is very much a super power.

though this is an interesting (but old) website about the science of Turbolasers! http://www.stardestroyer.net/tlc/

and finally, Space Opera
    I would say the main point for fantasy is that it is about a fantasy universe outside our focus. It has no tie in at all with our reality, technology, past, present or future. It just happen to be described as being similar to us, just in the future just like most high fantasy is descibed being like us in the Middle Ages/Rennaissance but with magic. Space operas like Flash Gordon and all other examples still is about mankind or people from Earth aka has a tie in with our reality before it goes wherever the hell it wants. All super hero franchises are about people from our perspective becoming special in our world, be it an awkward teenager or a space god from some other planet _coming to Earth_. They only subvert very specific things about our understanding of reality which is what usually Science Fiction does as part of its setup (e.g. how does FTL work in this/that universe). They usually also provide pseudo explanations for the superpowers wiggled around known science. Though we also get the "magic" category messing up any clear lines.

I'm not really insisting on the labels but to me looking at all the other Science Fiction Space Opera examples is really setting Star Wars apart as not being a vision of mankind's present or future. In the adventuring sense it is a Space Opera, in the conceptually sense it is however not Science Fiction because it doesn't care about Science and in the wider sense of Science Fiction the questions of humanity on any level, be it fictional or real. Flash Gordon still had a crazy professor build a spaceship to go to another planet. Dune is about mankind in 10000+ years with wacko space magic technology and some humans being nearly unrecognizable to us. Foundation series on a basic level a similar thing aka a far ahead future.

As such I wouldn't rate a Space Opera a sub genre of Science Fiction but more a thematic and narrative description like Steam Punk. It just happens to be often be applicable to tales that are part of light Science Fiction. As such I would not really see a Flash Gordon or John Carter as Science Fiction since it just as a very flimsy SF set up to then tell an adventure story wherever. In contrast Perry Rhodan, Honor Harrington, the lost Fleet and others are Science Fiction space operas.

So concerning Star Wars I would say: It's a Science Fantasy Space Opera.

Though in the end one can mix and mash a lot of those terms and will easily find border cases in all media. In the end most fiction is technically fantasy because it tells stories about stuff that is made up.

edit: Interesting thought (to me): Technically Harry Potter is closer to Science Fiction than Star Wars playing as a parallel world of magic besides our common world of technology. If we insist on labels it's however a borderline case which muddies definitions.

editedit: Comic books with their big wannabe consistent universes are probably the worst offenders of in the end putting everything through the blender as they kind of escalate from reasonable hero tale to simply bonkers so their genre actually is akind to: Science Fiction Science Fantasy Fantasy Space Opera Adventure tales.
    Last edited by Mangalore; December 10, 2015 at 05:20 PM.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post

and finally, Space Opera
    Well you're right if you look at it that way. I think Star wars is just one of the things which is not really meant for categorization.

Anyway I'm watching the Force Awakens at the 21'st. It comes out at the 16th here (two days before the US, lol) but I cant be bothered with getting early tickets.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Heh half my uni will have seen it even before you guys do on the 16th.

Seriously I'll have to avoid Facebook for like two weeks before I can see it.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 11, 2015 at 07:37 PM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Well you're right if you look at it that way. I think Star wars is just one of the things which is not really meant for categorization.

Anyway I'm watching the Force Awakens at the 21'st. It comes out at the 16th here (two days before the US, lol) but I cant be bothered with getting early tickets.
    I always wonder why europoors get to see it before murricans
    Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Heh half my uni will have seen it even before you guys do on the 16th. Internet piracy FTW lol.

Seriously I'll have to avoid Facebook for like two weeks before I can see it.
    Two weeks? Geez, which backwards place do you live in, I mean unless you're choosing to wait. I'm seeing it on the 17th. It's hilarious how it;s being advertised as coming out on the 18th in the US. It's not even going to be a midnight showing

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I'm not expecting big spoilers in this movie, just that Kylo Ren and Ray are Luke's children etc that type of stuff.
    Real big spoilers usually reserved for the second and third movies.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I'm not expecting big spoilers in this movie, just that Kylo Ren and Ray are Luke's children etc that type of stuff.
    Real big spoilers usually reserved for the second and third movies.
    Spoiler alert:
    Darth Vader is Luke's father

Patrician

Not sure if you mean anything by this but that was revealed in the second movie. There were literally no spoilers in Star Wars 1977, most likely this movie will be fairly straight forward and just reintroduce us into the new movie universe.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    I always wonder why europoors get to see it before murricans

Two weeks? Geez, which backwards place do you live in, I mean unless you're choosing to wait. I'm seeing it on the 17th. It's hilarious how it;s being advertised as coming out on the 18th in the US. It's not even going to be a midnight showing
    No it's just my family waits and we're supposed to go see it together.

Although if someone's got tickets to opening night at my Uni on monday or tuesday I will pay out the ass for them.

Maybe after getting over Leia, Luke played the field, both as an enjoyable experience, and to seed the galaxy with more force sensitives.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Hmm, in Indonesia I think it comes out on the 16th (at least on the poster I saw). I leave for China on the 18th. That means if I want to see it, I have to see it on the 17th or hope China has it while I am there. I supposed it could stil be playing when I return on the 8th In January.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Not sure if you mean anything by this but that was revealed in the second movie. There were literally no spoilers in Star Wars 1977, most likely this movie will be fairly straight forward and just reintroduce us into the new movie universe.
    Odd plot twist seem to be something they do more now than back then; especially in the first movie.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm seeing it on the 17th, after an all day marathon of the entire Saga in a theater though
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I have a friend in TOR who got tickets to a marathon that, but accidentally got 5 sets of tickets since he was in 5 different queues trying to get it. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I have a friend in TOR who got tickets to a marathon that, but accidentally got 5 sets of tickets since he was in 5 different queues trying to get it. Lol.
    I wouldn't be complaining about that. Seriously.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    While Aftermath was terrible, another new canon book came out kinda under the radar, and is actually really good. It's some good Star Wars from the side of the Empire, and tells us far more important things about the events after RotJ than Aftermath told us, including the Battle of Jakku. I'd recommend it if you're looking to read any of the new canon books.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    So I could only get through half of Aftermath, it was written so poorly and had a lot of new characters I couldn't get interested in, mostly because they were carbon copies of cliche characters we've seen a hundred times before. Only interesting thing in that whole book was the interludes and the fact that there seems to be transexual aliens now. Also the main character Timmen is gay, which is kind of dumb if you think about it because sex is never even referenced to in Star Wars so why does it even matter? I hope the movies wont be overloaded with PC bs that distracts from the film.
    Some of the books are just terrible while others are decent. Dark Disciples for instance was just awful. It was supposed to be a Clone Wars episode but my god was it bad. So basically Quinlan Voss and Assaj Ventress and their totally retconned Clone Wars selves have to kill Count Dooku. The Jedi Council does something totally stupid and sends Quinlan Voss to assassinate Dooku, which would change literally nothing. Along the way Quinlan Voss recruits Ventress and they hook up cause... he's a Jedi Master and he breaks rules, further retconning his story even more. He gets captured and somehow Dooku turns him to the dark side easily, Dooku absolutely murders Ventress, just brutal. Quinlan Voss redeems himself and gets taken in by the Jedi again but on the condition that he becomes Obi-wan's apprentice. So basically this is a failure of both the book and the Clone Wars show. Quinlan Voss is totally different from the EU so in other words he sucks, Ventress is mostly different and unfortunately her development in the show is lost and she gets killed off because yall that's why. Over all she was decent in the show after she started becoming good but the show was going to dump her anyway. Quinlan Voss sucks both in the book and the show and the EU version and story was so much better.

This is some careless and pointless retconning where they just steal things from the EU and relabel them. Also why aren't KOTOR and SWTOR canon? They can literally in no way contradict the movies and related stuff.
    Tarkin was good, New Dawn was good, Dark Disciples was , Lords of the Sith was really meh, Sons of Dathomir comic really gave no closure to Darth Maul from the show's story arc (but he will fight Kenobi again, search your feelings we know this to be true). Aftermath seems to be kind of meh but I haven not read it, doesn't really contest the Thrawn books though seems to fit rather well, probably will not read it anyway. At the end of Aftermath they mentioned an Admiral but gave no name... Admiral Thrawn? will they rewrite, steal and retcon as they like (bastards!?)?
    Also yes homosexuals aside from Aftermath; a lesbian Grand Moff in Lords of the Sith who had a Twilek girl harem. They say in the marketing look at all the homosexuals and it's PC marketing, no problems with the characters really but the marketing and publicity pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Im currently taking a look at this.
    I thought the girl was Ray's mother and Luke's gf, guess I was totally wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    You dont know what you are talking about. He cared about the clones, and his men. Most jedi didnt saw the clones as expendable at all, but actualy men. And the clones in 501st revered Anakin, because he led by example, and was "stuck in the mud" with them, in most times.
    And there were several instances when Anakin was ruthless and pragmatic to acomplish his military objectives, or in interrogations, he crossed the line for sure.

Also you are falling for the myth that the war was only between droids and a clones. Well i agree that lucas failed concept wise, to give emotional relevance to the war in the movies.
    However Star wars the clone wars TV show, all they did was give that emotional interest back to the war. It wasnt just about mindless droids and expendable clones. The clones were living breathing, had names, had humanity in them, and were actual characters in the show for good and for the bad. They could be corrupted by money or power, they could fall to desertion, and some end up chosing their own way out of the war, and others chose to folow trough and made their mission to fight in the war. Hell there are Episodes that deal with exactly those issues soley. hell the first episode of the series highlight exactly that with that Yoda and clones episode if im not mistaken.

Also The TV show showed that the seperatists didnt always deployed droids in their battles. After all The Seperatists were made by Former republic planets, with armies of their own. They showcased a Seperatist senate with good people that thought were doing the right thing, because they sought the republic as corrupt. ( it wasnt a black and white matter, at least in the animated Tv show it wasnt). Only as you know the sith manipulated both sides.
    But at anycase In the second battle of geonosis, the clones fought Geonosians, in the battle of Umbara the clones fought Umbarans, there were episodes with the Zygerrian empire, they are slavers that had an aliance with Dooku, the war wasnt just about mindless expendable drones at all. there was the Onderon conflict, the mandalorian conflicts as well where you had defined characters, and players with their own reasons, the defense of kamino, where there is an emotional link with clones there where they felt the need to defend their home, and their brothers etc.

The point im trying to make it is the Show built characters and stories for them, and put them in the scenario of conflict and sometimes of hard choices. that is what makes it engaging imo. The oposite of the prequels, where you realy didnt cared about the characters that much, where the grand view was oulined instead.

Awesome battle of Umbara btw
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Awesome second battle of geonosis And its aftermath with Anakin crossing a line in an interrogation, where he needed information to save his padawan and the lives in a republic transport that had been overtaken by geonosis larvas.

Another dark side, Anakin moment...

Also a good example of what you were saying was the arc where Obi-wan faked his death and Anakin goes ape .
    Forgot that last clip but Anakin is a ing psycho, holy crap they gave him custody of a little kid?
    Honestly never understood how they could reasonably give Anakin an apprentice cause he's just totally psychotic.
    Some fair points about him seeing clones die but still those situations warranted way more death and destruction. There weren't as many non-Clones or non-droids though, most episodes none of those other combatants are even shown.
    One of my favourite episodes from the show was part of the Ryloth Arc, season 1 episode 20 innocents of Ryloth, really fleshed out the clones early on and showed the amount of destruction for a place like Ryloth. Though Ryloth wasn't hard core enough in the show and neither was the destruction. IMO the gun emplacement in that episode would logically be in the middle of a city and with soldiers in there too and the Sep commander holding the population hostage so no bombing and no attacks on that city, instead of the guns being out in the open with some Twilek hostages around them. Not sure if Ryloth really had any cities though but in the EU Ryloth was just a horrible place, much more compelling and interesting than in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I'd say that KOTOR was a better star wars story than the six movies combined, overall.

Its more mature, really shows more of the light and dark side, it shows the shades of grey. Sex and romance is refered to, its even alluded to a woman using the droid her husband build for sex after he died, pretending the droid was her deceased husband.
    Main villain was alright though, can't measure up to the movie sith but had his moments. Such a shame Bioware took a huge dump on their own game with everything star wars related they did afterwards though.
    Well as far as world building goes and adding a crap tonne of characters then SWTOR doesn't disappoint. The planets are cool, a lot of cool Sith like Darth Marr, Darth Malgus, Darth Mortis, Valkorion, Darth Baras, Darth Thanaton... Lord Zash was sort of interesting and Lord Scourge was interesting but not fleshed out enough.
    They can be pretty direct sometimes like flat out stating that those Twilek dancing girls are mostly prostitutes or sex slaves. One of the characters called Vette has a sister who is a slave in a brothel and although they sort of skirt around that they might say it directly depending on what dialogue options you pick.

I would not say KOTOR is better than all the originals though since some things in the game are kind of wtf moments and weird story elements that maybe could have been developed better. Same with certain characters could have been developed better.

Yeah Games are cannon now but not game mechanics. Unfortunately that does not include the game you guys were talking about

That would be absolutely awesome. But I have a suspicion Maul is going to show up in rebels at some point since his resurrection have been an entirely Clone Wars affair so far. Explaining to the moviegoers how he survived from Naboo to wherever he ends up in Ewans movie would be very hard.

Then again Maul is too strong for any of the rebel cast to take on. The only living characters that can really fight him are Yoda, Obi wan and Empy&Vader. An epic duel with Vader on rebels would be really cool though.

But again Maul might be too dark for disney channel. I seem to remember that CW storyline involved a lot of breaking necks, impalement, beheadings and random murder.
    I sort of wanted the female inquisitor to be Barris Offee. Her turn to the dark side... if we can even call it that, and her terrorist activities just came the out of nowhere and would have preferred if they kept it consistent and made her an inquisitor or else never even made her evil... sort of. Also never understood how Maul was so strong in Clone Wars and how easily he toyed with Kenobi. This being over a decade after and with all the skill and experience Kenobi should have stomped on him albeit with some level of challenge but with a decapitated Maul at the end. Maul has like no real experience after all those years except for fighting Adi Gallia, Kenobi a couple times and Assaj Ventress and in neither of those times was it really clear that Maul could easily defeat him yet he picks up Obi-wan and throws him about like a rag doll. How weak is Adi Gallia, a ing council member, who got killed by the retard Savage Oppress? Dude actually sucks, anyone with a sliver of skill would have destroyed his lumbering ass. 1 v 1 Savage vs Kenobi and Kenobi would have beaten him in a couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I really like Plinkett's analysis; very detail and more or less on the mark with his criticism and praises. However, I find his antics a little distracting at times.
    Sometimes with Plinkett the antics are either a further explanation of something he is trying to get across or a metaphor for something in the movie like the hooker is a reference to how psychotic Anakin is and how poorly written the romance in those films are.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain357 View Post
    You'd think with 10 something years of training, clones would be this vastly superior force in every way, some clones get deployed only to be wasted by a single blaster bolt the second they get boots on the ground from their gunship (this doesn't apply to Ep 2, but in the TV series the 'gunship' drops them and leaves, no don't support ground forces or anything). And then it seems a lot of the combat is similar to open line battles as this is how mass droid formations get deployed, but what doesn't make sense is when clones stand up to meet the enemy directly. If it were me, I'd have the clones entrench and use artillery to scatter the separatist lines.
    Why exactly did they stop using the Clones? Was it cause Palpatine wanted to subjugate the general populace by forcing them to serve the Empire? Cause you know how teenagers can be, they have nothing to do and they make student protests and start Arab springs.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; December 16, 2015 at 02:53 AM.

So I re-watched the original trilogy, the original cuts, after probably more than 10 years and then re-watched the second teaser and first trailer for the Force Awakens, and boy does it smell of fan pandering and fanboy service. I thought that before, but now it feels even more cheap (especially the Han and Chewbaca moment in Teaser 2).

J.J. Abrams is an average director, so far he hasn't made any "timeless classic" or even a "excellent" movie. He either despises or realizes that a lot of people despise the prequels and that the original trilogy has a more "firm" imprint on pop culture . So it seems like the movie or just the marketing was made by a potential fanboy for fanboys. It scares me, how the trailer shows so much similarity to the plot of A New Hope and winks of other movies.

Honestly I hope it's meant to relax us and get us of guard, but still.

We have another Skywalker that is destined for greatness living on a desolate desert planet. We probably have another ex-Jedi turned Sith that is somehow personally related to the protagonists, a death of a loved one (mentor?) or at least perceived by the main character.Another cutesy robot, another Bobba Fett-esque badass, another Rogue unsure where he's life is going...

Okay, I am not insane so that I complain about lightsaber and spaceship battles in a SW movie, but some of these story beats and characters seem like simple re-hashes or twists on the familiar. Hell it almost feels like a re-boot, like somebody is just taking the same elements and turning them 180 without much substance behind it.

Hmmm.... now where have I seen this before hmmmm....

And in the end how can blame him, SW fanboys started buying expensive toys(also video games, posters, costumes etc..) for a movie they haven't even seen, they insist it will be the best thing in the world, that it will break every box office record there is and topple down James Cameron from his throne.

Hmmm.... now where have I seen this before hmmmm...

In the end I expect perhaps a more solid movie than the prequels but one that takes far less risks but I hope of course that it will be a new classic.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; December 16, 2015 at 03:58 AM.