Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: SSHIP - Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Victory !

The archers bug is solved ! After some tests and thanks to the indications of Gigantus, I found where the error came from !

You just have to change in the EDU the stat_sec line of the peasant archers like this:

stat_sec 1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, knife, 45, 1

stat_sec 1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 45, 1

Thus the archers do not begin to swirl before planting themselves very small in the ground and the screen is no longer invaded by triangles that hide the scene.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Good catch mate
    +rep when I can
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

False joy ... The bug has reappeared. I do not understand. Yesterday it seemed to work ...

I am desperate and sorry for the bad news. After several tests, the problem is still not solved. The bug of the archers always comes from the meeting between the swordsmen and the peasant archers, I do not understand why this bug did not reproduce after the modification of the EDU, but now, it reproduces systematically whatever the lines that I amended.

- The problem does not come from the model of unit because by replacing it with another model (the militia of Bree archers) the bug occurs.
    - The problem does not seem to come from EDU after all my unsuccessful attempts.

Maybe it is an "animations" file that is not good (.cas) but it is unfortunately not an area that I master.
    Last edited by kostic; April 06, 2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: sad mistake

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If you are suspecting the animation then look for a modeldb entry that has a different animation set then the faulty one and replace the soldier entry with it as I described.
    I vaguely recall that one of the highlighted entries in the stat_sec line is sound related, not sure what the other is for (not at my own computer) - check the explanation at the top of a default EDU file.

Blog Entries

I don't think that this is the problem actually. From what I can see, I'd say that it's due to the death animation itself (but there should be more that 1 unit impacted imo) or some vertices not correctly assigned (I'll start from that supposition). So basically, when the archer dies, the mesh seems streched and so the texture attached to it.

Edit: Got a temporary solution to fix this issue. Easy to do

Go to the EDU and look for the peasant archers entry. You should get this:

Code:
    type             Peasant Archers
    dictionary       Peasant_Archers      ; Levy Archers, feudal levy
    category         infantry
    class            missile
    voice_type       Light
    banner faction   main_missile
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          Peasant_Archers, 48, 0, 0.7
    officer          northern_captain_early
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, foot_archers, start_skirmishing, is_peasant
    move_speed_mod     1.07
    formation        1.4, 1.4, 1.8, 1.8, 3, square
    stat_health      1, 1                                
    stat_pri         2, 1, peasant_arrow, 120, 18, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    area
    stat_sec         1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, knife, 45, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  0, 1, 0, flesh
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        1
    stat_ground      1, -1, 3, 0 
    stat_mental      4, normal, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 302, 163, 65, 163, 163, 4, 50
    armour_ug_levels 0, 2, 3
    armour_ug_models Peasant_Archers, Peasant_Archers_ug1, Prussian_Archers
    ownership        sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, teutonic_order, jerusalem, slave
    era 0            sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, jerusalem, teutonic_order
    era 1            sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, jerusalem, teutonic_order
    era 2            sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, jerusalem, teutonic_order
    recruit_priority_offset    -10
    Replace the bold red part with the following bold blue one:

Code:
    type             Peasant Archers
    dictionary       Peasant_Archers      ; Levy Archers, feudal levy
    category         infantry
    class            missile
    voice_type       Light
    banner faction   main_missile
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          Longbowmen, 48, 0, 0.7
    officer          northern_captain_early
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, foot_archers, start_skirmishing, is_peasant
    move_speed_mod     1.07
    formation        1.4, 1.4, 1.8, 1.8, 3, square
    stat_health      1, 1                                
    stat_pri         2, 1, peasant_arrow, 120, 18, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    area
    stat_sec         1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, knife, 45, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  0, 1, 0, flesh
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        1
    stat_ground      1, -1, 3, 0 
    stat_mental      4, normal, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 302, 163, 65, 163, 163, 4, 50
    armour_ug_levels 0, 2, 3
    armour_ug_models Peasant_Archers, Peasant_Archers_ug1, Prussian_Archers
    ownership        sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, teutonic_order, jerusalem, slave
    era 0            sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, jerusalem, teutonic_order
    era 1            sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, jerusalem, teutonic_order
    era 2            sicily, hungary, timurids, byzantium, lithuania, poland, england, norway, france, hre, denmark, spain, aragon, portugal, pisa, venice, papal_states, scotland, timurids, jerusalem, teutonic_order
    recruit_priority_offset    -10
    This part refers to the soldier "skeleton" to use. This references an entry in the battle_models.modelsdb file, which determines how the unit moves around.. With this trick, it just replace the peasant archers' one by the longbowmen one. In game, you won't probably see any difference
    That's a temporary fix while I'm trying to find out what it's wrong with the peasant archers but at least, that will allow you to use that unit without that painfull bug
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 10, 2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

That's basically what I was suggesting.

Compare the animation entry in the modeldb between these two units - that will give you an idea which animation sequence might be at fault. Then do some footwork in descr_skeleton and generate new animations. I just went through that for Titanium to test the shorter diplomat animation and it's a pain in the neck as some animation sequences are simply not present (steel crossbow death I think and three others that need replacing with default animations) and a good number of evt files are actually in different folders - so it's not for the faint of heart

The obvious shortcut would be to copy the longbow animation set in the modeldb over the peasant archer animation set.

Blog Entries

I don't think that it is due to the animation itself but rather to the skeleton (to which this entry in the EDU refers).
    I've made more tests. If I use the hunters (using same skeleton - Peasant_Archers), I'm having the same issue appearing again.
    Same test but the unit has no texture (silver surfers basically): same issue.
    Then I tried with the archer militia using another skeleton (Prussian_Archers) but exactly the same animations as the peasant archers (MTW2_Shortbowman_String and MTW2_Fast_Knifeman): no issue at all.

So I think that by replacing the Peasant_Archers entry by the Prussian_Archers one for the soldier line in the EDU should fix the problem without affecting the gameplay

Blog Entries

Weird - I have always been under the impression that the 'soldier'entry in the EDU only uses the animation of that model and not the mesh. Considering that you can have several upgrade models all with their own mesh that wouldn't make sense anyhow. I mean you can have three totally different models in the upgrade line which, if your assumption is correct, would be ignored.

There are three basic skeletons of a soldier model afaik, the differences being very minute and these come only into play when trying to convert the model to MESH, eg the skeleton of a feudal knight is the same as the one for halberdier or mongolian body guard.

Could you post the complete modeldb entries for the peasant archer and prussian archer for me to have a look?

Blog Entries

Here they are:

Peasant Archers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    15 peasant_archers
    1 3
    67 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/peasant_archers_lod0.mesh 900
    67 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/peasant_archers_lod1.mesh 3600
    67 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/peasant_archers_lod2.mesh 12000
    7 england
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_england.texture
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
    39 unit_sprites/peasant_archers_sprite.spr
    8 scotland
    85 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_scotland.texture
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
    6 france
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_france.texture
    3 hre
    80 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_hre.texture
    7 denmark
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_denmark.texture
    5 spain
    82 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_spain.texture
    6 aragon
    82 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_spain.texture
    8 portugal
    85 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_portugal.texture
    4 pisa
    81 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_pisa.texture
    6 venice
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_venice.texture
    12 papal_states
    89 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_papal_states.texture
    5 slave
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture
    14 teutonic_order
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_serbia.texture
    6 norway
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_norway.texture
    9 jerusalem
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_cruzad.texture
    6 poland
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_poland.texture
    9 lithuania
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_lituan.texture
    7 hungary
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_hungary.texture
    88 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_normal_east.texture
    6 sicily
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_sicily.texture
    8 timurids
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_england.texture
    9 byzantium
    82 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_mercs.texture
    7 england
    69 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_england.texture
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_normal.texture 0
    8 scotland
    70 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_scotland.texture
    6 france
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_france.texture
    3 hre
    65 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_hre.texture
    7 denmark
    69 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_denmark.texture
    5 spain
    67 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_spain.texture
    6 aragon
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_aragon.texture
    8 portugal
    70 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_portugal.texture
    4 pisa
    66 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_pisa.texture
    6 venice
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_venice.texture
    12 papal_states
    74 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_papal_states.texture
    5 slave
    67 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_slave.texture
    14 teutonic_order
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_serbia.texture
    6 norway
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_norway.texture
    9 jerusalem
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_cruzad.texture
    6 poland
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_poland.texture
    9 lithuania
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_lituan.texture
    7 hungary
    69 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_hungary.texture
    6 sicily
    68 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_sicily.texture
    8 timurids
    67 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_mercs.texture
    9 byzantium
    71 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_byzantium.texture
    4 None
    23 MTW2_Shortbowman_String
    18 MTW2_Fast_Knifeman
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary
    18 MTW2_Knife_Primary
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Prussian Archers:
    16 prussian_archers
    1 3
    71 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/peasant_archers_ug1_lod0.mesh 900
    71 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/peasant_archers_ug1_lod1.mesh 3600
    71 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/peasant_archers_ug1_lod2.mesh 12000
    7 england
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_england.texture
    43 unit_sprites/peasant_archers_ug1_sprite.spr
    8 scotland
    85 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_scotland.texture
    6 france
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_france.texture
    3 hre
    80 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_hre.texture
    7 denmark
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_denmark.texture
    5 spain
    6 aragon
    8 portugal
    85 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_portugal.texture
    4 pisa
    81 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_pisa.texture
    6 venice
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_venice.texture
    12 papal_states
    89 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_papal_states.texture
    5 slave
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture
    14 teutonic_order
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_serbia.texture
    6 norway
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_norway.texture
    9 jerusalem
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_cruzad.texture
    6 poland
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_poland.texture
    9 lithuania
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_lituan.texture
    7 hungary
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_hungary.texture
    88 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_Peasant_Padded_normal_east.texture
    6 sicily
    83 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_sicily.texture
    8 timurids
    84 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_england.texture
    9 byzantium
    82 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/gs_peasant_padded_mercs.texture
    7 england
    66 unit_models/sandy_units/AttachmentSets/gs_attachments_poor.texture
    8 scotland
    6 france
    3 hre
    7 denmark
    5 spain
    6 aragon
    8 portugal
    4 pisa
    6 venice
    12 papal_states
    5 slave
    14 teutonic_order
    6 norway
    9 jerusalem
    6 poland
    9 lithuania
    7 hungary
    6 sicily
    8 timurids
    9 byzantium
    4 None
    23 MTW2_Shortbowman_String
    18 MTW2_Fast_Knifeman
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary
    18 MTW2_Knife_Primary
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Blog Entries

Well, the animations are certainly identical. Which would support your notion that something is wrong with the model itself. The ug1 in the mesh name would suggest that the prussians use an upgraded peasant model which makes the skeleton problem a bit unlikely as it can be assumed that only the mesh got changed but not the skeleton. Maybe it's just something simple like a messed up model comment.

Paleo in the 3D forum is quite good at finding stuff like this, maybe post the findings there and see if he can come up with the cause?

Blog Entries

No, I think you misunderstood me. That's not the model/mesh that is wrong but the skeleton (the blue part in MS3D to picture my point). That's one of the files packed in the animation folder (skeleton.dat and skeleton.idx) or it might also be a wrong entry in the descr_skeleton.txt file (I haven't checked that one yet).

Blog Entries

If you open descr_skeleton you will see that it is actually about animation sequences, eg the CAS and EVT files used for the MTW2_Shortbowman_String animation, so the problem won't be there.
    I felt the skeleton idea was unlikely because the mesh used by prussians is an upgrade (ug1) of the peasants' mesh, which would use the same skeleton. Upgrades involve changes in the mesh (removal\adding of model groups) which might have inadvertently removed a faulty commented group of the initial (peasant) mesh.

Blog Entries

But that mesh is also used by the archer militia without any issue.

14 archer_militia
    1 1
    67 unit_models/sandy_units/EN_Peasant_Padded/peasant_archers_lod0.mesh 6400

I've made a test keeping only that one and removing the peasant_archers_lod1.mesh and peasant_archers_lod2.mesh.
    The issue remains. I'll check the peasant_archers_lod0.mesh anyway.

Blog Entries

Weird, do they have the same animation set as the peasant archers? Because if they do then the crash cause is somewhere else entirely*, maybe a faulty texture\sprite?

*same mesh and same animation but only one unit crashes - crash cause can't be mesh\skeleton or animation.

Blog Entries

Yes, the only difference are the "lod1" and lod2" meshes but the issue is not releated to them obviously.
    I can see that it's gonna be a "tricky" one to fix

Hi, I usaully could figure out things myself but for some reason whenever I besiege certain Cities or Castles, my game crashes to desktop with the unspecified error pop-up. I reinstalled the mod and lowered my graphic settings for the battles with no avail. Some settlements are able to be besieged without crashing while others aren't. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this is hands down my favorite mod to play at the moment.

Blog Entries

Please state which faction you are playing and which settlements cause a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Please state which faction you are playing and which settlements cause a crash.
    I'm playing as the Fatimids and it happens when i assault western and eastern European settlements. When I besieged Mosul I was fine but when I besieged Sis or Edessa it crashed after loading a little bit.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

I am not sure if it has to do with the settlements as such, you could test this by playing a custom siege battle as Fatimids using those culture settings for the settlement. Simply give a single 'vanilla' unit (nothing fancy\custom) defending unit to a suitable faction - then start the battle.
    If it works then there is a high possibility that the crash is caused by a unit.

It will still help if you could compress and submit a crash log. The log should be in trace mode, change the error entry in the mod's CFG file to trace if not already set, file opens with Notepad.

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

I did what you said and at first I thought it wasn't the units but for some reason one of the units that I modified, the model with gave me some problems but I fixed it thank you though.