Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I am not aware that the affinity switch is used in any BAT file\launcher out there, with the exception of the very recent repacks by me (MOS, TATW, RotK) and the latest version of the EBII launcher.

You are welcome to use the above code as is, simply change 'Bare Geomod' to 'SSHIP' and change 'Configuration.cfg' to 'default.cfg' - then create a desktop shortcut linked to it.

Personally I only use the set up in Stainless Steel, the mod itself I always run with my BAT file - didn't bother to change the mentioned details as I am also using my BG's CFG file.
    Thanks you very much!
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    But if is possible add this "tittles names" in the campaign map to generals it would be amazing for the gameplay and inmersion!!!similar to what happens with the ecumenical patriarch of constantinople and perhaps if what I proposed of the Great Caliph of Baghdad is done ... If you put the high office of marshall or chief of the army to a Castilian general, he could be called from a simple "Castilian Conde" to "Castilian Duque". That would be great.
    Unfortunate the naming system you are referring to is rather restricted in that applies to one agent type at a time. There is however the level system which has it's own 'name' for each level that can be used for that purpose. It's basically an extension of the priest, bishop, cardinal principle. See step 5 here. Used it extensively in RotK, EBII makes good use of it, too.
    Code:
    --- descr_characters ---
    faction            england
    dictionary        2
    strat_model        majors_general                ; 0 = named character
    strat_model        han_FH                    ; 1 = heir
    strat_model        han_FL                    ; 2 = faction leader
    strat_model        caoren                    ; 3
    strat_model        ZhangLiao                ; 4
    strat_model        XiaHouYuan                ; 5
    strat_model        XiaHouDun                ; 6
    strat_model        XuChu                    ; 7
    strat_model        XuHuang                    ; 8
    strat_model        Ls_simayi_general            ; 9
    strat_model        CaoCao                    ; 10
    battle_model    major_gen
    battle_equip    gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield

--- expanded ---
    {EMT_ENGLAND_FACTION_LEADER}Cao Clan Leader
    {EMT_ENGLAND_FACTION_HEIR}Cao Clan Heir
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER}Cao Clan Family Member
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_3}Bulwark of Wei
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_4}Hero of Hefei
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_5}Master Archer
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_6}One-Eyed General
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_7}Tiger Fool
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_8}Indomitable General
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_9}Master of Manipulation
    {EMT_ENGLAND_NAMED_CHARACTER_10}Great Faction Hero

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Gigantus,
    just make sure: is there a difference between the effects of these two:

Code:
    building icon_art{
      levels ikoner_studio master_ikoner_studio
      {
        ikoner_studio city requires factions { greek, russia, kievan_rus, }
        {
          capability
          {
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1

religion_level bonus 1 requires factions { byzantium, serbia, georgia, } and not event_counter strictly_religious 1
            religion_level bonus 2 requires factions { byzantium, serbia, georgia, } and event_counter strictly_religious 1
    Code:
    building icon_art{
      levels ikoner_studio master_ikoner_studio
      {
        ikoner_studio city requires factions { greek, russia, kievan_rus, }
        {
          capability
          {
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1

religion_level bonus 0
            religion_level bonus 1 requires factions { byzantium, serbia, georgia, } and not event_counter strictly_religious 1
            religion_level bonus 2 requires factions { byzantium, serbia, georgia, } and event_counter strictly_religious 1
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 22, 2020 at 07:35 AM.

Blog Entries

No difference - the zero capability is only required in connection with agent_limit as otherwise unlimited recruiting will be possible, just like army units. It's a restricting capability, the exception to the norm: all other capabilities do not require a zero entry as they are bonus capabilities, eg they 'enable'.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

The current battle_models.modeldb file the mod is based on is this one : battle_models.rar
    It's probably filled with a lot of unnecessary lines, but maybe you can spot some errors that could cause CTDs ?
    As I am responsible for introducing modifications with the units, it is essential for me.

Blog Entries

I am right now battling with it - there are literally hundreds of lines that are missing the required SPACE at the end of it. Unknown if that might cause a fatal crash but it would be nice to rule it out. It also makes it impossible to run checkers like Gracul's or Bovi's. The latter being the most comprehensive checker around, like checking for silver surfers (missing modeldb faction entries), missing files, unused files and esoteric stuff like that.

Unnecessary lines are fine as long as they are properly formatted.

Blog Entries

It's done. It will be a while before I am attempting something like that again, simply read through here. So forgive me the theatrics:

The fully formatted, error free modelDB file for SSHIP, based on the 097 version with bugfix E. Certified for use in the Bovine Checker as well as Gracul's Unit Editor.

Simply download here and extract into the mods\SS6.3\data\unit_models directory. Allow overwriting when asked.

@kostic: is that file of Gigantus for patch E, or does it also work directly for your KCC095 (ie: should I include it in the instal of 097E, or there're already your changes and it should no be included)?

Blog Entries

Patch E (from here) got released on 9th November, but it does not include a modelDB file. That patch is part of my current SSHIP installation in which I am testing\editing the modeldb so I mentioned it to hopefully forestall any questions regarding the patching.
    Simply add the file to the next update, be it SSHIP or KCC, in the meantime maybe link it on the installation page?

Once my courage is up again I will proceed to use the now operable Bovine checker to check for any hidden errors, like silver surfers and missing files.

Spoiler for interim findings

Example EDA check:
    Ancillary text: Duplicate description "bookpoet_igor_desc"
    Ancillary text: Duplicate description "bookpoet_igor_effects_desc"
    Ancillary text: Duplicate description "bookpoet_igor"
    EDA 5148: Duplicate ancillary "dearmad_tripoli"
    EDA 5381: Duplicate ancillary "king_eloued"
    EDA 5716: Duplicate ancillary "king_hajr"
    EDA 7723: Duplicate ancillary "iking_hajr"
    EDA 9884: Duplicate ancillary "oking_hajr"
    EDA 10745: Duplicate trigger "witch_hunter_vnv_trigger"
    EDA 11690: Duplicate trigger "apothecary_staying_bimaristan"
    EDA 11834: Duplicate trigger "astrologer_postbattle_victorvirtue"
    EDA 12192: Duplicate trigger "brilliant_inventor_staying_royal"
    EDA 12908: Duplicate trigger "musician_vnv_trigger2"
    EDA 14629: Duplicate trigger "merchant_book_rihla"
    EDA 15651: Duplicate trigger "armour_custom_postbattle"
    EDA 16420: Duplicate trigger "shard_of_the_true_cross_anc_trigger"
    EDA 25094: Duplicate trigger "iking_polotsk"

This one is a blooper:
    descr_sm_factions.txt 50 (Faction abbasid): symbol_abbasid.cas under folder models_strat/ does not exist.
    descr_sm_factions.txt 450 (Faction georgia): symbol_georgia.cas under folder models_strat/ does not exist.

These factions are playable according to the descr_strat, can someone confirm that the files are missing? It's the symbols over settlements. Certainly absent when I move the army out of the settlement. The symbol graphics exist.

Wasn't there an issue with emerging faction scripts? This might be the reason (just one example of several):
    CS 32317: Declared counter "scotland_emerge" is set before being declared (CS:32398).

If these events trigger then the game will crash. Follow up if events exist in script or only in text file:
    Historic event "georgian_revival" lacks title text.
    Historic event "info_provincial_titles" lacks title text.
    Historic event "info_provincial_titles_benefits" lacks title text.
    Historic event "georgian_revival_age" has only title, not description.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 23, 2020 at 04:51 AM.

Patch E (from here) got released on 9th November, but it does not include a modelDB file. That patch is part of my current SSHIP installation in which I am testing\editing the modeldb so I mentioned it to hopefully forestall any questions regarding the patching.
    Simply add the file to the next update, be it SSHIP or KCC, in the meantime maybe link it on the installation page?

Once my courage is up again I will proceed to use the now operable Bovine checker to check for any hidden errors, like silver surfers and missing files.

Spoiler for interim findings

Example EDA check:
    Ancillary text: Duplicate description "bookpoet_igor_desc"
    Ancillary text: Duplicate description "bookpoet_igor_effects_desc"
    Ancillary text: Duplicate description "bookpoet_igor"
    EDA 5148: Duplicate ancillary "dearmad_tripoli"
    EDA 5381: Duplicate ancillary "king_eloued"
    EDA 5716: Duplicate ancillary "king_hajr"
    EDA 7723: Duplicate ancillary "iking_hajr"
    EDA 9884: Duplicate ancillary "oking_hajr"
    EDA 10745: Duplicate trigger "witch_hunter_vnv_trigger"
    EDA 11690: Duplicate trigger "apothecary_staying_bimaristan"
    EDA 11834: Duplicate trigger "astrologer_postbattle_victorvirtue"
    EDA 12192: Duplicate trigger "brilliant_inventor_staying_royal"
    EDA 12908: Duplicate trigger "musician_vnv_trigger2"
    EDA 14629: Duplicate trigger "merchant_book_rihla"
    EDA 15651: Duplicate trigger "armour_custom_postbattle"
    EDA 16420: Duplicate trigger "shard_of_the_true_cross_anc_trigger"
    EDA 25094: Duplicate trigger "iking_polotsk"

This one is a blooper:
    descr_sm_factions.txt 50 (Faction abbasid): symbol_abbasid.cas under folder models_strat/ does not exist.
    descr_sm_factions.txt 450 (Faction georgia): symbol_georgia.cas under folder models_strat/ does not exist.

These factions are playable according to the descr_strat, can someone confirm that the files are missing? It's the symbols over settlements. Certainly absent when I move the army out of the settlement. The symbol graphics exist.

Wasn't there an issue with emerging faction scripts? This might be the reason (just one example of several):
    CS 32317: Declared counter "scotland_emerge" is set before being declared (CS:32398).
    About the duplicate text in export_ancillaries: when I finish polishing my program to export unit stats from EDU to export_units, I could do the same to export stats from EDA to export_ancillaries. It has the added benefit of cleaning the unused entries. In this case I would only chage the {SOMETHING_effect_descr} entries I guess.

Blog Entries

There are about 170 unused ancillary texts according to the checker but I wasn't bothered about those as they have no negative effect other then bloating the file by a minuscule amount of KB.
    If they can be removed automatically (no way I'll do that manually) then that would be nice - I am a huge fan of good housekeeping.

Edit: it seems I missed a small number of instances where TABs were used instead of SPACEs and consequentially interpreted as end of line surplus of SPACEs - will update that file when I am through with the rest. Here the log if someone wants to correct it already:

model DB 1443: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 1443: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    model DB 52367: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 52367: Trailing space count is wrong: 4.
    model DB 52657: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 52657: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    model DB 52888: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 52888: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    model DB 55139: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 55139: Trailing space count is wrong: 2.
    model DB 58067: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 58067: Trailing space count is wrong: 2.
    model DB 58395: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 58395: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 23, 2020 at 05:35 AM.

There are about 170 unused ancillary texts according to the checker but I wasn't bothered about those as they have no negative effect other then bloating the file by a minuscule amount of KB.
    If they can be removed automatically (no way I'll do that manually) then that would be nice - I am a huge fan of good housekeeping.

Edit: it seems I missed a small number of instances where TABs were used instead of SPACEs and consequentially interpreted as end of line surplus of SPACEs - will update that file when I am through with the rest. Here the log if someone wants to correct it already:

model DB 1443: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 1443: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    model DB 52367: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 52367: Trailing space count is wrong: 4.
    model DB 52657: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 52657: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    model DB 52888: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 52888: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    model DB 55139: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 55139: Trailing space count is wrong: 2.
    model DB 58067: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 58067: Trailing space count is wrong: 2.
    model DB 58395: Line contains TAB character, should be SPACE or removed. Interpreting as space to allow parsing.
    model DB 58395: Trailing space count is wrong: 3.
    I think that using this regexpr on Notepad++ may take care of the tab problem: \s*\n instead of '\n', (as \s* will match any or zero number of whitespace (including tabs or cariage returrn) and use ' \n' as the replace expression.

Maybe in the near future I'll add a tool to my program to remove text entries if the corresponding EDA, EDCT or anything else is absent. It is easier than parsing new data after all!
    Last edited by Belovèse; November 23, 2020 at 06:26 AM.

Would it be feasible for the next version to have greater movement ranges for armies, agents, and fleets? I am thinking of fleets in particular, which would simulate the great advantage of navies (especially sincere there are only 2 turns in a year). I am experimenting with doubling the movement of all figures on the map and so far it seems to make the game more fun and unpredictable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    I think that using this regexpr on Notepad++ may take care of the tab problem: \s*\n instead of '\n', (as \s* will match any or zero number of whitespace (including tabs or cariage returrn) and use ' \n' as the replace expression.
    This is from withwnar with regards to ++ and this issue (after adding a space to every end of line):

"To clean up ones that now have multiple spaces on the end of the line, use "regular expression" mode:
    Find what: "\s+\r\n"
    Replace with: " \r\n"
    Again, no quotes and a space in the second one.
    This finds lines that have one or more spaces or tabs in any combination at the end of the line and replaces them with one space. "

The \r thingy is needed as otherwise you end up with 'UNIX (LF)' EOL formatting, like I did in my first own try, that really messes things up but luckily is easily fixed.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 23, 2020 at 06:49 AM.

This is from withwnar with regards to ++ and this issue (after adding a space to every end of line):

"To clean up ones that now have multiple spaces on the end of the line, use "regular expression" mode:
    Find what: "\s+\r\n"
    Replace with: " \r\n"
    Again, no quotes and a space in the second one.
    This finds lines that have one or more spaces or tabs in any combination at the end of the line and replaces them with one space. "

The \r thingy is needed as otherwise you end up with 'UNIX (LF)' EOL formatting, like I did in my first own try, that really messes things up but luckily is easily fixed.
    Didn't know that, thanks. I added the \r\n bit in my automatically exported export_units.txt Was working fine with just \n, but caution is good!

@Gig - thanks for the fixes!

I'll take care of the script.txt, EDA and historical_events.

I'll also upload a new version of the patch, for it would still be compatible with KCC.

Blog Entries

I believe your SSHIP version is build on the old Stainless Steel version - can you check if the missing faction symbol CAS files exist? Shouldn't be an issue if they don't - they are easy to create. If they exist with you then I have no clue how they disappeared from my version.

I.
    This one is a blooper:
    I believe your SSHIP version is build on the old Stainless Steel version - can you check if the missing faction symbol CAS files exist? Shouldn't be an issue if they don't - they are easy to create. If they exist with you then I have no clue how they disappeared from my version.
    They indeed don't exist. I've added them now, will appear in the next patch (not F, but later).

II.
    The EDA problems as described by Gigantus are fixed for the next patch (not F, but later).

III.

It's done. It will be a while before I am attempting something like that again, simply read through here. So forgive me the theatrics:

The fully formatted, error free modelDB file for SSHIP, based on the 097 version with bugfix E. Certified for use in the Bovine Checker as well as Gracul's Unit Editor.

Simply download here and extract into the mods\SS6.3\data\unit_models directory. Allow overwriting when asked.
    Included in patch F and uploaded here.

IV.
    Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    The current battle_models.modeldb file the mod is based on is this one : battle_models.rar
    It's probably filled with a lot of unnecessary lines, but maybe you can spot some errors that could cause CTDs ?
    As I am responsible for introducing modifications with the units, it is essential for me.
    @kostic: the new modelDB by Gigantus is compatible with 097 patch E, but is not compatible with KCC. Installation of your minimod overwrites the Gigantus file.

V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkihr View Post
    Would it be feasible for the next version to have greater movement ranges for armies, agents, and fleets? I am thinking of fleets in particular, which would simulate the great advantage of navies (especially sincere there are only 2 turns in a year). I am experimenting with doubling the movement of all figures on the map and so far it seems to make the game more fun and unpredictable.
    Yes, it's feasible.
    I don't know where to change the navy's, but for the land units it's in the descr_campaign_db.xml, you should increase the values here:
    <siege_movement_points_modifier float="0.5"/>
    <infantry_movement_points_modifier float="1.00"/>
    <cavalry_movement_points_modifier float="1.4"/>
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 23, 2020 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks for the reply! I adjusted everything in the descr_character - the fleets are defined by admiral. (But I will also try your suggestion and see what happens). I basically doubled the move for every character type in SSHIP except for the admiral, which I almost quadrupled.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkihr View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I adjusted everything in the descr_character - the fleets are defined by admiral. (But I will also try your suggestion and see what happens). I basically doubled the move for every character type in SSHIP except for the admiral, which I almost quadrupled.
    Mind that impacts on the AI behaviour. It will probably more decisive in its attacks.