Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racial discrimination against Indians and PRCs

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Racial discrimination against Indians and PRCs

Oh sorry, the article is not about anything in Europe or Merica.

When Sunil first moved to Singapore, he had trouble finding an apartment.

"I called up several landlords who had listed rooms for rent," Sunil, a Sri Lankan who spent eight years living in the UK, said.

"Things would start out OK, maybe because of my [Western] accent - but the moment they heard my name, they'd blank out. Many said 'sorry, we don't rent to these people', or 'sorry, no room for Indians'."

Sunil, a civil engineer who arrived in 2012, said he was rejected by at least four landlords.

"I told them that Sri Lanka was not India, that I wouldn't eat or cook in the apartment, and that I would be outside all day. But still, they wouldn't offer me a room," he said.

"At that point, I got fed up and decided to only try Indian landlords. I was invited to viewings right away."
    Sunil is not alone. A quick glance at online rental listings shows many that include the words: "no Indians, no PRCs [People's Republic of China]", sometimes followed by the word "sorry".

A count on 24 April found that there were more than 160 housing adverts on the website PropertyGuru that clearly stated that the landlord did not wish to rent to Indians and/or mainland Chinese.

The issue appears more common with less expensive properties and on sites where content is posted directly by users, such as Gumtree.

It is not clear how many foreign workers have been affected. However, several expatriates have described experiencing varying levels of discrimination.

One Indian expat said his agent told him that many landlords would refuse to rent to him because "Indians always cook smelly curries". Another Briton of South Asian descent did not experience any direct discrimination, but was warned by his agent that some landlords could be difficult.

It was something I experienced too, albeit indirectly. When I searched for a flat, my housing agent received a phone call from one landlord who was worried that I was from mainland China, presumably after they learned about my Chinese ethnicity.

I listened to them discussing my background for what felt like an agonisingly long time. After she hung up, I asked her if it would reassure the landlord if they knew I was British.

"It doesn't matter," she said. "They may still think you're a PRC who obtained a British passport."
    Singapore is an ethnically diverse nation, consisting of 74% Chinese, 13% Malay, 9% Indian and 3% from other groups. However, as 90% of Singaporean households own their homes, a significant portion of renters are foreigners.

Immigration has also become a sensitive issue, amid concern over living costs and rising housing prices, which many locals blame on foreigners.

Eugene Tan, Associate Professor of Law at Singapore Management University, says: "In the current state of ambivalence towards immigration in Singapore, my sense is that race and country of origin have taken on a stronger accent with regards to how landlords may view Indian/PRC tenants."

Singapore's government places a strong emphasis on racial harmony. Studies suggest that there is relatively little racial discrimination in the public sphere, but things can be different in private.

"The Singaporean state has considerably influenced Singaporeans' willingness to work and be alongside those who are racially different," Dr Mathews says. "Singaporeans have learned to accept the realities of living in a multi-racial and multi-religious society. The private sphere, however, is one which the state has not tried to influence."

A landlord's choice of tenants "would probably fall within people's private spheres in terms of who they would choose to come into their home space".

Attitudes to race came to the fore in December, when hundreds of foreign workers from India and South Asia rioted after an Indian national was killed in a bus accident. The incident sparked a strong response on social media - many made comments denouncing foreign workers, although many others also spoke out against racism.
    Source

It is notable that Singapore government promote multiculture not because it looks fancy or civilized, but because the past experience; during the 60s there were series ethnical violence in Singapore between Malay and Chinese, resulted the whole island closely to be paralyzed. To prevent this happened again, Singapore government started promoting an artificial "local" culture and trying to use this new identity to prevent ethnical conflict. Anyway, I remember a few days ago a member asked me how other Chinese state think about mainland Chinese, so I feel this is a good opportunity to answer him, and for the rest of you, a glance about racial discrimination in a Western but non-white country (or non-Western non-white country, as mainland Chinese treat Indian pretty much in same way).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Default Re: Racial discrimination against Indians and PRCs

Singapore does import a lot of foreign workers, and are rather renown for being a little stuck up.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Singapore does import a lot of foreign workers, and are rather renown for being a little stuck up.
    Yes, but so is other Asian states such as Japan, Taiwan or even those in Middle East.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

I've always implied how self focussed East Asians are. And by and large Singaporeans are Chinese.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Why don't they like Indians and curries?

I've always implied how self focussed East Asians are. And by and large Singaporeans are Chinese.
    Irony enough that was chief reason why SEA states look suspciously and anxiously at PRC, as they are fear Chinese may one day colonize SEA and proceed to cultural genocide all local culture. When Singapore got independence from British one of promises it made was Singapore would cut all political ties with mainland China, so Mao would not use Singapore as a fifth column to spread revolution in SEA.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Why don't they like Indians and curries?
    Same reason why Han Taiwanese think Native Taiwanese are lazy and smelly people.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; May 04, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Same reason why Han Taiwanese think Native Taiwanese are lazy and smelly people.
    I never thought that. We're good back in the army.

They're one of a few who can still drink like ordinary grown-ups supposed to be.

There is no discrimination at all.

One avenue to maintain at the minimum the same genetic demographics (and thus stability) is to encourage selective emigration from the PRC at one end, and temporary coolies at the other.

As for ideological differences, Mao was a hiccup; the Chinese rarely have ever wavered from their allegiance to Fortune.

And curries are either eaten at the restaurant or take away.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    There is no discrimination at all.
    That is because you never went to rural area that has high percentage of native Taiwanese, who still somehow practice part of their culture.

One avenue to maintain at the minimum the same genetic demographics (and thus stability) is to encourage selective emigration from the PRC at one end, and temporary coolies at the other.
    Yes, but that also means you have to get rid not-so-useful people, which is impossible.

As for ideological differences, Mao was a hiccup; the Chinese rarely have ever wavered from their allegiance to Fortune.
    Yes, but as long as CCP continues praise Mao and the history of how Chinese wipe out other cultures, no one would really trust Chinese.

And curries are either eaten at the restaurant or take away.
    To be fair I heard some Muslims think Chinese smell strange.

Edit: I also need to add that, a lot of racial discrimination in Asia is done in a collective way, hence it is not easy to be detect unless you observe how two different community treat eachothers.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; May 04, 2014 at 05:11 PM.

To be fair I heard some Muslims think Chinese smell strange.

Edit: I also need to add that, a lot of racial discrimination in Asia is done in a collective way, hence it is not easy to be detect unless you observe how two different community treat eachothers.
    Apparently, some Han Taiwanese has never been in a Chinese mainland taxi. The drivers all smell like garlic and onions.

Once on a airplane two Indians were arguing; An Arab guy turned to be and said, "its the spicy food. It makes them crazy"

Once in Dubai, I got on an elevator filled with Indians. The BO was so bad, my eyes watered and I was about to dry heave when the elevator opened one floor early. Needless to say, I got out.

To be honest, though, I think it is more of a socio-economic issue, than cultural. I guess Singaporeans do not like curry.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    To be honest, though, I think it is more of a socio-economic issue, than cultural. I guess Singaporeans do not like curry.
    To be fair even Indians of different regions criticize other region's food culture; most Indian Singaporeans are Tamil (in south India) and they do criticize their northern brothers sometimes, and I did hear some northern Indians criticize their southern brothers as "uncivilized peasants".

My father once had to go on a business trip and one leg was covered by an Air India flight; he swore, never again. I've never had the privilege, nor the necessity.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

When Singapore got independence from British one of promises it made was Singapore would cut all political ties with mainland China, so Mao would not use Singapore as a fifth column to spread revolution in SEA.
    That's pretty funny in hindsight when looking today at the incredibly wealthy and modernized city-state of Singapore and thinking it could ever have been considered the springboard for communism.

Although it is a capitalist (or corporatist, if you will) country, Singapore's government is a nasty little fascist regime with near lifelong terms for its prime ministers and a virtual one-party system under the PAP. It's no secret at all that Hong Kong and Taiwan are far more democratic. The laws of Singapore are renowned throughout the world for being excessively stringent (and sometimes outright backwards and barbaric), almost like something out of an Orwell novel. Seriously, they've taken anal retentive tendencies and enshrined them into law. It's the sort of place where:

If you are convicted of littering three times, you will have to clean the streets on Sundays with a bib on saying, “I am a litterer.
    ...among other crazy pieces of legislation that most nations wouldn't be prissy or even prude enough to enact. I've been friends with people from Singapore before, but I don't care how nice the place is for tourists, I would certainly never go there.

If you were into spanking ...

but,but,but....only white people can be racist !

What the...?

Or is racism something that anyone of any race can do ?Wow,a thing that truly unites all of us,regardless of race !

Quote Originally Posted by Andreius Pretorianus View Post
    but,but,but....only white people can be racist !

What the...?

Or is racism something that anyone of any race can do ?Wow,a thing that truly unites all of us,regardless of race !
    This is like a blast from the past,... I remember when this first came out. I believe some professor from City College New York said this (probably others too). It made it on Donahue and/or Oprah and suddenly everyone thinks this is a mainstream argument. This is back in the early 90s. (Donahue went off the air in 1996) I can't believe I am STILL reading this nonsense today. Moreover, I hardly see the relevance. The idea was advanced by African Americans in defense of statements made by African Americans in the media regarding "White America." How this relates to individual landlords in Singapore is beyond me???

leftistst,make a huge news every time a white person is acting racist.But when non whites(be it blacks or asians) are racist,is mostly a 1 minute story on some random TV station.

See the hipocrisy ?

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

I spent about four months in Singapore in 2004. It's an interesting place.

I remember once getting a taxi driven by an Indian who spent the whole journey telling me how greedy the Chinese are and how they only care about making money.

A few days later I got a taxi driven by a Chinese guy who spent the journey telling me how lazy the Indians are and how they want to do as little work as possible but still expect to be paid the same as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreius Pretorianus View Post
    leftistst,make a huge news every time a white person is acting racist.But when non whites(be it blacks or asians) are racist,is mostly a 1 minute story on some random TV station.

See the hipocrisy ?
    i have never lived in nor traveled to Singapore, so I have no familiarity with how news stories are covered in Singapore. What hypocrisy am I supposed to see? All I see is a wild assertion without any evidence. Do you have any proof?

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Singapore's government is a nasty little fascist regime with near lifelong terms for its prime ministers and a virtual one-party system under the PAP.
    Nope, Singapore has a mature democratic system; I would rather say Singapore is a perfect example when a state has open democratic system but its citizens are lazy, irresponsible and ignorant. Voting PAP every election unquestionable just because "they did well in past 40 years so they would do well next few years" is not how a proper citizen should behave (sadly some people in Merica are behaving much in same way).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast