Thread: [R2TW AAR/Ahistorical] The Ballad of Rome

Default [R2TW AAR/Ahistorical] The Ballad of Rome

The Ballad of Rome
    A Rome 2 Total War AAR

Everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses...

Opening

This is a completely ahistorical, fictional AAR as a result of the protagonist, being an entirely fictional version of a historical character. I have never done an AAR, so for a while I struggled on how to deal with the dilemma of wishing to use the same protagonist in the time frame Rome 2 takes place in. In the end, I just decided to simply forgo that problem, and instead focus on the writing and having fun.

So the protagonist of this AAR is the blonde woman in red, pictured above. Her name is Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, fifth and final Emperor of the Julian-Claudian dynasty. As it is impossible to represent her in any way in-game, she'll be essentially be filling the shoes of the "player", in charge of directing the legions, navies, and civic management of Rome. As she is filling the shoes of the player, I will have her mostly represented non-directly within the confines of the story. I will occasionally see about having her slip into the gameworld proper for interaction with characters, or sometimes I will spruce the AAR with accounts from other characters. But the stage is all Nero's. As Rome begins the game as a Republic, just consider her consul for life.

The specifics of the AAR are as follows:
    1. As shown by the protagonist, this is an ahistorical run of the game.
    2. I will be generally trying to follow the mission objectives as much as possible, and will try to fulfill as many sub-objectives as possible. But I'm not promising that I'll be able to complete them all, nor will I go too far out of my way to do so.
    3. Updates will come as often as I put them up. As I have a full time job now, this might be weekly updates at worst.
    4. The game will be played on Normal/Normal, without any mods, with the latest official patch.
    5. I'll take suggestions of what to do, or advice. I will not, however, be told how to play the game.
    6. As this is ahistorical, do not complain about the lack of historical realism or authenticity. That isn't how I play the game.
    7. As my own kind of "house rules", I'll generally limit recruiting Roman infantry to only from Italia proper. Unless I feel the game is really going downhill, I will probably not change this. I'll also try to keep some variety in my Legios, by using Auxillia when I can.
    8. Speaking of Legios, I'll probably be naming them personally. I'll keep the Legio <#> format, but I'll be making up the names. I'll keep them from being completely silly, but don't be surprised if they're not authentic Legion names.

That's all the specifics I can think of for now. If I think up anything later, I'll edit this post appropriately.
    Please, enjoy the AAR.

- - -

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It is Rome's destiny to rule the world, and even from its humble beginnings as a fledging Republic, this destiny has not once wavered!

While I can claim a heritage with the noble House of Julia, I will instead be focusing my efforts on the noble House of Junia. It was through the labours of Lucius Junius Brutus, that this fledging Republic was ever formed, after all. The love the plebs shower upon it will also suit my needs, for what greater duty of a ruler is there then the happiness of their people? The House of Cornelia's disdain for the plebs is unacceptable as a result, while I will use them for the betterment of Rome, I can see nothing to gain from siding with such a distasteful view.

The year is 272BC, and the Pyrrhic Wars have only recently come to a close. While Rome has driven off the Epirus invaders, I cannot imagine my grand Empire is quite so... grand yet. It is fortunante that my advisors keep very detailed records, which reveals to me just how humble my grand Empire was in its early years as a Republic.

As I can plainly see, the Roman Republic does not control much. While the Eternal City of Roma is quite firmly under our control, and the neighboring town of Neapolis - which provides Olive Oil to the Republic - the rest of Italia is still in the hands of the Etruscan League. In the south, in Magna Graecia the Republic has control of the southern lands, but the island of Siciliy is split between Syracuse - whom my advisiors inform is currently trading with us - and the Carthagians, whom hold the port town of Lilybaeum.

Across the sea to the west, the islands of Corsica et Sardina are also not within the rightful rule of Rome. The Carthagians hold the port city of Karalis, and Alalia a port town famous for its bountiful fish, is held by the Etruscans. Looking at our east, I can see Epirus is still in control of the majority of Macedonia. Hellas is as it was, split by the Athenians and the Spartans. However, east of Roma is not my concern for the moment. A sea seperates us from them, and so soon after the Pyrrhic Wars, Epirus is unlikely to strike for the moment. I must focus my attention on the Etruscan League, whom control lands that are rightfully the property of the Republic.

Fortunantly, there are already two Legions ready to move by my command. Velrathi is only a short march away, and a report from a spy, reveals the settlement is only defended by a small Etruscan army. I had the advisiors correct a minor oversight with the names of my Legions, and I prepare our northern Legion, Legio I Italia, to march upon Velrathi. The Legio I Adiutrix is stationed far to the south, but it is ill-prepared for any campaign in the south, and I feel dealing with the troublesome Etruscans first is a better use of our limited resources. Securing the island of Siciliy can come later. With a naval invasion of Alalia planned, I need the Adiutrix to swifty return to Roma, so that I might be able to bolster their number with our able hastati.

The hastati are somewhat of a mystery to me, I must confess. They are remanants of a Rome I only heard of, and it was quite surprising to see how... ill-equipped they look. Still, they are Romans, and they are more then capable of getting the job done. How I wish I could join them upon the frontline! But no, I must focus my attentions on maintaining the Republic. Our treasury is limited, but there is enough coinage to fund the construction projects in Magna Graecia, for Italia might be split, but the people are more then happy with my rule here. Magna Graecia I am told, is less so, and I must do my duty to appease the people!
    Last edited by krisslanza; March 29, 2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Complete rehaul and redesign

Default Re: [R2TW AAR] Destiny of Rome

Your style is different but I like it. More honest and less making up storylines. I am in a mid-late part of a Roman campaign as well and am curious to see how you procede. I tried something new for my game, and it didnt go too well. Its also nice to see someone else doing a vanilla game, I have yet to use any mods in any total war game.

Default Re: [R2TW AAR] Destiny of Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Khan1281 View Post
    Your style is different but I like it. More honest and less making up storylines. I am in a mid-late part of a Roman campaign as well and am curious to see how you procede. I tried something new for my game, and it didnt go too well. Its also nice to see someone else doing a vanilla game, I have yet to use any mods in any total war game.
    I'm thinking I'll re-do the opening post, or just have this one get deleted and start a fresh one.
    The narrative I feel, isn't that nice. I'm having an issue in I want to tell the "story" from a single character's perspective, but they're also "ruling" Rome enough to actually be talking about all this. This isn't realistically, or historically possible, but I think I need to sacrifice both in the sake of telling a better story.

My last Rome game went pretty bad as well, so this'll be a somewhat blind run, in the sense I'm still not accustomed to the way patch 9 works entirely. But I've gleamed some good insights.

EDIT:
    First post entirely redone. I'm much more satisfied with it now.
    Last edited by krisslanza; February 25, 2014 at 07:38 PM.

Default Re: [R2TW AAR/Ahistorical] The Ballad of Rome

With the successful occupation of Velrathi accomplished by my capable Legio I Italica, the Republic's grasp upon Italia was nearly complete. It should not take them long to out the Etruscans entirely. The thought of subjecting them had crossed my mind, and been offered by an adviser, but I dismissed it - these lands were rightfully Roman. No other power, even in allegiance to Rome, should hold authority over these lands.

While I always had Rome at the forefront of my thoughts, I am also quite pleased to partake of the spoils of the battle - the settlement of Velrathi was famous for its wine, and it was much welcome to have control of its vineyards. It was little for now, but I would turn my attention to the expansion of its vineyards at a later date.

While I had considered focusing efforts on expanding Rome's military might, the Etruscans held little worry, and so I had instead looked into civic matters... after all, what is the point in military might without the infrastructure to support it? The techniques perfected over these past few years will help increase the productivity of our farms, I can only hope it'll also yield superior wine in some years... I can practically taste it already.

I did not pay overly much attention to matters in the Senate - they had little to complain about at the moment - but I had heard the talk of Lucius'... condition. I had heard the prior years that he was a rather odd fellow, but whatever affliction ailed him, it had seemingly grown more severe. He is currently busy in the Senate, and his madness prevents him from being taken seriously by many of his peers. While his condition is troubling, it should not effect or influence my plans for the Republic... if he was in charge of my Legions, I may be concerned, but so long as he was a statesman, I should have little to fear from him.

There had been an interesting report from the Legio I Adiutrix - whom had been sent out to seize the fishing village of Aliala, along with the Misenensis navy - that the Etruscan army that had been garrisoned there, was seemingly absent. They had noticed ships leaving the settlement, but was unable to confirm anything. I had thought perhaps the Etruscans had simply abandoned the settlement, but a report from the garrison stationed at Velrathi reported a fleet of ships off the coast. They were Etruscan.

The garrison in Velrathi was still relatively new, given our recent acquisition of the village. However, the Legio I Italica was already enroute to stamp out the last of the Etruscan stationed in the region. I could have had their orders canceled, and rerouted to defend Velrathi... but that could also make the fleet simply return to Aliala, while giving the troops garrisoned at Ariminum time to reinforce their position. While the troops at Velrathi were inexperienced in the art of war, the fleet headed their way was also rather small... the Etruscans had proven little but a bump so far. No, the garrison at Velrathi should be plenty to drive back the Etruscans. With Ariminum so close, I could not afford to waste time ceasing control of the region.

While Italica marched upon Ariminum, I set to seeing about improving the education of the Republic. There may be a time soon when we need a silver-tongue and a friendly face to help advance my plans. I also would hope the effort would inspire some playwrights or the such - while none could compete with my works of art, I am too busy to entertain the masses for the moment.

- - -

Troubling news had reached my ears this spring. Our merchants had been doing favorable business with the Syracuse merchants for some years now, but I had been informed a dignitary from that very town, stating that our merchants were no longer welcome in their ports - and none of their own would be trading in Rome. The damage to our economy would be relatively minor, and they did not export much of worth... but the sudden change in attitude was worrying. I should perhaps look into reinforcing our holdings in the south, lest they be looking to invade while we are occupied with the Etruscans.

With Italia united last year, I was going to celebrate with lavish feasts and games galore, for all of Rome and her citizens to benefit! But more troubling news arrived in the summer - the Etruscan fleet was an invasion force, and had easily and swiftly obliterated the garrison at Velrathi. This not only cut off our access to the vineyards and wine, but more troubling it had weakened my authority in the eyes of the Senate, and possibly the people - I had underestimated the strength of the Etruscans. Italia was still stationed in Ariminum, so they were not far from Velrathi... but the Etruscans could easily threaten Roma from that same position.

I had little choice but to order Italia to withdraw to Roma, the risk of the Etruscans assaulting the city was too high to ignore. I had underestimated them once, and I could not afford to let them march upon Roma without a proper army ready to drive them off. While the Legio was stationed in the city it would also be a good time to bolster their ranks, with the Etruscans so close, it would not be difficult to get the action approved quickly...

At least the Adiutrix had reported little difficulty in occupying Alalia. The flow of fish from the region may not have the same delight as quality wine, but it should help restore confidence in my leadership. With Alilia seized, the Etruscans had no way to flee - to ensure this, I had the Misenensis quickly moved from their post at Alalia, to the coast of Velrathi. Should the army attempt to flee into the ocean, they would not go far before they would be cut off. With Italia closing in quickly, the Etruscans should be dealt with in short order... and I can celeberate with more bottles of fine, Velrathi wine.

- - -

All has gone according to plan. The Etruscans in Velrathi stood little chance before the might of the trusty Italia legion, and the few remaining stranglers of the Etruscans had been routed into the forests. It took little work to seek them out, and clamp them in chains - not only was Italia under the firm rule of the Republic now, the new slaves should help bolster our economy as well. With that accomplished, I can now turn my gaze southward. While Carthage holds claim to the settlement of Lilybeaum, the settlement of Syracusae is alone... and without their trade, the Senate cannot object to our expansion into the island.

While that was a sound plan... it would appear Carthage had other plans.

I had known tensions between our nations had been tense, I had not expected them to declare war upon us before I could prepare for it. Our last reports did not say the Carthagians had any navies, or armies, in the immediate area but it would only be a matter of time. Both my Legions are in the north, and marching them south will take time... and the Carthagian fleet is a danger as well. Our single navy could likely do little to hold back the full naval power of Carthage.

Perhaps I will have to see who will make a capable general, and consider raising a third Legion. The extra manpower could be used against Carthage, or as a garrison to safeguard Roma while our forces are away. Syracusae can wait once more, although it may also be beneficial to simply take them out along the way...

Last edited by krisslanza; March 29, 2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Cleaning

An excellent start and I like what you're doing with it. You're showing a very imaginative approach to it too. It's always good to play a game like this with a mood to seeing if you can create a narrative around your play and you are doing exactly that. I'll be watching!

Did syracusae end tha agreement b/c you wouldnt support their war with Carthage? I have never had them cancel their agreement before. I like how each game is different. Good AAR so far

Indefinitely Banned

Does the protagonist belong to the transgender community?
    Her/his male title name with so many "us" certainly imply, so. My problem is that it doesn't seem to suit with the red underware and the rose petals, or she/he does this intentionally, in order to underline her/his true colours?

Quote Originally Posted by Khan1281 View Post
    Did syracusae end tha agreement b/c you wouldnt support their war with Carthage? I have never had them cancel their agreement before. I like how each game is different. Good AAR so far
    They weren't even at war with Carthage, I believe. My best guess is because of the Junia's diplomatic penalty, that Syracusae just ended it due to a low diplomatic standing. I haven't played Junia in a while, but I was a little tired of always playing Julia.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Regent George View Post
    Does the protagonist belong to the transgender community?
    Her/his male title name with so many "us" certainly imply, so. My problem is that it doesn't seem to suit with the red underware and the rose petals, or she/he does this intentionally, in order to underline her/his true colours?
    No, Nero is a woman. It's a fictional representation of the historical Nero, where the only change is the gender. She was still married to Octavia, and everything else. The only change is the gender. She uses male titles and pronouns, because it was how she was raised to be emperor. To expand upon it, she also doesn't identify as male nor female, but rather sees herself as firmly in the middle of the two genders. But she is biologically a female.

With the Republic's influence expanding, there is a growing concern amongst my peers that not all newly acquired regions will be quite so... accepting of our superior Roman ways. While I cannot imagine why anyone would reject us, the reports out of Magna Graceia seem to indicate a certain amount of discord amidst the population due to various misunderstandings and assumed political oppression. It would ill-suit to let the situation grow increasingly out of hand, so I have looked into the dispatch of a skilled statesman to help smooth over the cultural tensions. From what I have been told, he is quite capable and should be apt at the task.

I suppose it will also be something to mind when I turn my gaze north and eastward - the barbarians will probably not simply cease resistance because their armies are smashed. The people need also be brought into the glory of the Republic.

With the civil matters attended to, it has also come to my attention that the supply trains to the legions are proving quite unreliable. They do keep them well supplied, but they are also quite costly and not as efficient as they could be. Looking into reforming the supply tactics will be of our utmost priority at the moment - I can ill afford to lose battles due to lacking supplies against Carthage. The naval power is not to be underestimated.

Speaking of the war with Carthage, it also gives me the perfect chance to convince the Senate to approve of the forming of another Legion. With the barbarians threatening our northern borders, I can hardly leave Italia wide open while dealing with our southern neighbors. I may need to see if I can convince them for a fourth and perhaps another navy in the near future... but Rome's funds are not limitless, and this war is likely to only dwindle our coffers with every passing year. Yet I cannot see any easy way to quickly decide it either - I lack detailed reports on Carthage's full might, but for them to so boldly challenge Rome, they are likely going to make us fight tooth and nail...

At least their collapse will make for excellent tales of my talent. How I wish I could clash with them on the front...

The commander of the Aurea Legio leaves much to be desired, however. I had consider pulling from fresh faces, but the man was quite insistent... I only hope that keeping him on the frontlines, will prevent him from causing me trouble. I suppose he cannot do as much in the field, as he could blabbering in the Senate.

Perhaps with the removal of Lucius and the seizure of Carthage's eastern colony of Karalis, the Senate has deemed fit to... relax some restrictions upon my powers. How I long for my rightful place as Emperor! I suppose one step at a time...

The men of Misenesis paid dearly for our victory at Karalis. I shall have to honor their sacrifice in the Games - which I have of course, personally looked into the organization of - I was told they fought bravely, even as their ships burnt beneath the Carthagian defenses. Their heroism will not be forgotten, and I shall have to quickly look into replenishing their numbers: I cannot allow the Carthagian navy to sweep in unchecked.

Another Legion has been raised. I have named them Aestus Estus, and they will serve my purposes nicely. They will be the blade to cut deep into the enemy!

- - -

I have witnessed the proposed changes to our supply systems, and while I'm sure the soldiers may not agree with the personal carrying of their supplies, the effect is noticeable on their performance in combat. It will only help harden them for the long campaigns ahead.

With the province of Corscia et Sardina under the control of the Republic, the Senate has finally loosened their purse strings! While they now have new demands, their current reward will help our cause immensely... I only wish I had the authority to take their coinage as is. No doubt the coinage is ill-gained, but I lack the power to do much to them as Consul. I will have to play to their tune for the time being...

The hastati are noble and brave, but they can be hardly expected to win the war on their own. It took some work, and honeyed words, but I have managed to correct the inefficiencies in our equipment production, and once the proper districts are constructed, the Republic's ranks will swell with better equipped soldiers. The Princpes and Triarii are more soldiers of an earlier time then I am used too, but their experience and equipment will be more then welcomed.

While I question if the man is truly blessed by the gods, or simply a bit of a madman like Lucius, I cannot miss the chance to expand Junia's glory by adopting him. If I was to pass it up, the noble Julia may pounce upon it - or worse, the untrustworthy Cornelia. I can only hope he is not playing me a fool.

Not only has war given me much material for grand and glorious games in Roma's arena, it has done much to show me flaws and shortcomings in our military. Carthage's fleets are powerful, and Rome's fleets are sadly lacking - until now. With proper training, and information gleamed from Carthage's own fleets, I am confident we can match them even at sea! While the facilitates to construct such ships is beyond Roma, there happens to be the proper facilities present in Karalis... it will take some years to repurpose them properly, but it is of utmost importance.

As expected, the changes in the supply system, have also helped our troops fight with greater zeal and courage. They used to - so I hear - grumble about it, but now they take great pride in the achievement. As they should: they are sons of Rome!

- - -

While we are gaining ground against Carthage, the situation in Illyria is deteriorating. The Senate has charged me with securing our eastern border: the effect is multiple. It will keep the Greeks from advancing on us, should they so seek it, and the Illyrian pirates are notorious for their raiding of our traders. While I cannot see the Athenians, or Spartans, moving against us, the pirates are another matter entirely... I cannot allow the to bring suffering to my people.

There was little problem in seizing Apollonia and dealing with Epirus - earning us gratitude from Athens and Sparta both - the tribes in Illyria seem to be advancing against us. Legio Aurea was successful in repelling the barbarians, although they suffered heavily causalities. I need to find a way to deal with them, but I need to also secure Siciliy... I have driven Carthage from it, but Syracuse remains as a neutral party - but that island is Rome's, and I cannot simply allow them to keep it.

The barbarians in the north are also moving... I need to deal with Sicily as soon as possible. Once our south is secure, I can see about dealing with the eastern threat, I believe...

- - -

OOC:
    Seems patch 10 is coming up, as a beta, in a week. I doubt I can finish a campaign in that time, so if it launches for real I will simply restart the AAR with the fresh patch!
    Last edited by krisslanza; March 29, 2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Cleaning up for new start

In light of the Mod Summit saying patch 10 should be out this week, I think I'll wait for it to come out, then resume the AAR from a fresh start. From what I hear, it's supposed to be pretty hefty and full of nice things. I apologize to those who don't want to see the start again, but that is the danger of doing an AAR of a game still in the process of being patched.

I think when I do restart it, I'm going to try a different format of writing. This still kind of reads like a... report, and less a story. Which I guess isn't wrong really...

Looking forward to both the patch and your resumption of this excellent AAR.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Look forward to seeing you resume this as well. Keep up the good work! Good to see some more Rome 2 AARs.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Judging by HATG's release date of the 27th, I would expect patch 10 to be officially out by that time. So expect this AAR to resume around that time. As a heads up, I'll be returning to having a full time job by that point, so updates might be slower.

I might also think of doing a HATG campaign with Nero as well perhaps... CiG doesn't really work, given Caesar is undoubtedly the "main character" of that campaign, so I'll see how HATG feels when it releases.

And in hindsight, if I knew it'd take so long for patch 10 to go live, I would've just kept going with this AAR! If I could only tell past me that I'd be fine.
    EDIT:
    Heck to pass time, I might even just do a few more updates for fun. Not sure if I will yet, given I'll just have to start it all over in a few weeks but... I guess I can see how far I'll get. I might play for longer stretches of time though.
    Last edited by krisslanza; March 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM.

LawL_LawL's Avatar Ducenarius

Just have to ask, but do you do your own art for the images in your sig, avatar, and the opening post of this AAR?

As for the AAR, certainly a different approach given the person who's point of view it's told from.

And I have a feeling I've seen your avatar/sig/AAR character elsewhere before...

Quote Originally Posted by LawL_LawL View Post
    Just have to ask, but do you do your own art for the images in your sig, avatar, and the opening post of this AAR?

As for the AAR, certainly a different approach given the person who's point of view it's told from.

And I have a feeling I've seen your avatar/sig/AAR character elsewhere before...
    Nah it's not my own, it happens to be official art used for Nero.

Well, Nero is very similar to Arturia, so it's possible you've "seen" her in that sense.

Sorry for this being still not updated. Work seems to really limit my time to get a good campaign going.