Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Units

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: [Preview] Units

Quote Originally Posted by hrolphi View Post
    I just want to say... yes it is rather cheesy, but if anyone the elves are the ones to use graceful/icky names.
    Knights of Twilight, liked it when I saw that. In my mind it is more elvish than Feanorian Retainer Riders
    Mine doesn't sound like a bad vampire romance novel.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Senator

Could be worse. Could have 'Knights of the Grey' with 50 of them in the unit.

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

Yeah Knights of the Grey is great too.. anyway it's just my non-silm-expert opinion!

Sad we won't have those portraits. I trust you to do good work on the new ones then

Well, if anyone wants it to be more Elvish, they could name the units in Sindarin and Quenya. Kind of like what Europa Barbarorum did.

We'll think about it. Problem is : naming the Dwarves would be harder, same for Orcs, same for Edain, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Peredhel View Post
    We'll think about it. Problem is : naming the Dwarves would be harder, same for Orcs, same for Edain, etc.
    Unfortunately enough, Tolkien didn't write much about Taliska, or Khuzdul or Adunaic. (Second Age, but I really like how it sounds. Seriously, try saying "Adunakhor". Doesn't it sound awesome?)

Problem is : naming the Dwarves would be harder, same for Orcs, same for Edain, etc.
    Right!

Sad we won't have those portraits. I trust you to do good work on the new ones then
    They are under Bercor's hands with some help of myself so we can hope a "not too bad" (at last)

Retainer Riders doesn't sounds bad to me...

Lord Somewhere Out In Space's Avatar Civis
    Lost in the wide savage country of the Franks.

Mmmh, maybe i can work on the names of the units Milner ^^ !

For Orcs, there's no kinda problem. During First Age, they don't speak any specific language as Black Tongue, which is crafted by Sauron later. In fact, there's a paradox about the language they speak. Remember all the times humans understand orcs speaking : Beren understood the orc captain saying that he killed Barahir ; Orcs also immediately heard Túrin crying "Gurth, gurth an Glamoth !" ; they are many other examples also, so it seems Orcs were more speaking a corrupted Common Language than anything else.
    So we can easily imagine they had a lot of accents and dialects, different forms perverted from the languages they heard.

But, as Tolkien said, they were supposed to learn "melkorish" from Melkor (elementary my dear Watson). But we never had any example of it, all the Orcs and Balrogs and evil creatures are named in english or in sindarin...

So saying 'Orc looters' instead of a strange mix of Black Tongue seems accurate to me !

Anyway, I like the idea of crafting lore-accurate names for the units !
    Khuzdul is a little bit more complicated, of course, but i think we can find some things to do.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

I believe the use of specific names in the tongue of their species would be far more interesting and would give the mod a deeper side, that would improve game play.(Ad doing it like EB, with the english names in brackets would be good).

Lord Somewhere Out In Space's Avatar Civis
    Lost in the wide savage country of the Franks.

Yeah, i think so !

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

Sounds very brilliant to me..

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Milner View Post
    As far as i know (talked with Bardo) these units liked to the LotR's team...but i don't know if Wlesmana himself see them (85-90% of the models were made by him).
    too bad he disappeared, he probably would have joined this great team hehe, anyways those textures are splendid since i barely recognize the models, like when you said 85-90% models were made by him i can only see like lesser than that because it's like those units are freshly made.

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Joining the conversation late, but, what is Corsair Invasion and DoM?

Senator

Off topic answer to Neko (I do that a lot in mod threads )

There is a mod for Rome: Total War called Fourth Age: Total War, set after the War of the Ring.

Corsair invasion was one of the releases for the mod, the newest one DoM (Dominion of Men) went into beta this morning.

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Thanks Lortano.

too bad he disappeared, he probably would have joined this great team hehe
    Who knows? i would like count with him, of course! RL many times goes out great modders, sadly.

anyways those textures are splendid since i barely recognize the models, like when you said 85-90% models were made by him i can only see like lesser than that because it's like those units are freshly made.
    I feel honoured with that kin of words, mate

Joining the conversation late, but, what is Corsair Invasion and DoM?
    Off topic answer to Neko (I do that a lot in mod threads )

There is a mod for Rome: Total War called Fourth Age: Total War, set after the War of the Ring.

Corsair invasion was one of the releases for the mod, the newest one DoM (Dominion of Men) went into beta this morning.
    Thanks Lortano.
    It's time to play!

Great mod:-)Looking Forward for it to get released!!!
    Good Job guys!!!

Thanks for your support!

This looks amazing guys!....
    After Aruthiel's project died, I had almost given up the hope of playing any First Age Total War!...You give me Hope...Just keep enough for yourself, to not end up like Gilraen
    You guys will probably make me install RTW again...Thanks for the Hard Word you've put into this..

Also, Bercor, if only your signature was a link, I would have stumbled in here a long time ago
    Amazing work gents!

Quote Originally Posted by JJJaikishan View Post
    Also, Bercor, if only your signature was a link, I would have stumbled in here a long time ago
    Amazing work gents!
    Oh, darn... It's supposed to be. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll correct it.