Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catholic factions

Default Catholic factions

since if u attack another catholic faction u get excomunicated wont that make the game abit boring? i mean there wont be any large scale wars in europe since if u mess with another catholic faction the pope is gona sick his catholic hounds on you turning pretty much all of western europe against you. Also in england's case where do they have room for expansion besides scotland(im not even shure if they are a noncatholic target). they cant attack france or the holy roman empire or spain pretty much the only place they can go is sail an army all the way to africa, the middle east or russia. For me priority number one might become landing an invasion at the mouth of the Tiber and get rid of the pope
    Last edited by junglewarior45; September 23, 2006 at 04:40 PM.

carl-the-conqueror's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Catholic factions

if you attack cathollic factions for a while (in mtw this was the case) so really its a challenge to move quickly. and iff you can have them rigged, then its another story altogether

This is when agents come in handy, just send assassings to destroy any religious buildigs of a catholic faction you wish to attack until the pope does not care about him and then attack

So can you destroy Pope?
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Ryder65's Avatar Civis

Actually, that is a very good question. Can you destroy the Papacy? Obviously, you will be able to conquer the Papal States and Rome, so what will that mean for the Pope (who is the faction leader of the Papal States)? The game's mechanics would be extremely messed up if the Papal faction is wiped out, especially if done early in the game. This leads me to believe that the position of Pope cannot be destroyed after all. But I can't be sure until the game comes out.

"We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers."
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.

i would actually think it would b fun having all of europe at war with u. huge challenge with huge battles

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Maybe whoever conquers Rome earns the position of protecting the pope or something, and can basically do whatever they feel like.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

If it is anything like MTW1...destroying the papacy will allow you to place a puppet pope on his throne.
    The Papists will return later as a re-emerging faction with a very large army bent on taking either the papal states or rome...if there is any distinction in MTW2, I dunno.

So the Papal state will act like the senate in RTW? Giving missions and crusades, I wonder if it is a playable faction.
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,

But because he loves what is behind him.

Its not.

Imagine playing with a muslim or orthodox faction and destroying the papacy, that would be nice, helping other catholics take a break from him lol .

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by killerxguy
    Imagine playing with a muslim or orthodox faction and destroying the papacy, that would be nice, helping other catholics take a break from him lol .
    Are you referring to recent events in world politics? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by killerxguy
    There is no such thing as Shia and Sunni its all political differences and not religous differences, Muslims are one, if not all, then unity is close, very close.
    Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much :-) And events in places like Iraq tend to speak otherwise. As Iran gains in regional power, these differences can only grow.

Casius Cherea's Avatar Libertus

For what i know the pope will be electet from pool of all cardinal agents in game, so if you have cardinal you can vote and if you are pious or something you cardinal can be canditat for pope, additionaly you can buy or sell votes
    When your candidat is a pope you can excomunicate and do all the vatican stuff
    i think it is simillar like in eu crusaders kings

ps. killerxguy and germanicus91. sirs dont go off topic and dont start political discussion please
    Last edited by Casius Cherea; September 24, 2006 at 12:40 PM.

GVP's Avatar Miles

I think that the papal sistem in MTW1 was pretty good. I hope they don't change it too much unless they improve it.
    It's nice that you're proud of your religous and political belifes. But the only religous and political debates we should be haveing here, should be about the ones taking place in MTW2.

TRSjarmen's Avatar Semisalis

I read that when you destroy the papacy and take out the pope, you become the new acting "pope." Your faction puts a puppet pope on the throne and i think you gain the abilities of the pope.

Ryder65's Avatar Civis

I have not heard that, and I can't see how that could be. Let's say a non-Catholic faction conquers the papacy. The leader of a Muslim faction certainly cannot become the new "pope", even if he did just have the powers. It would be insane for Catholic factions to follow him.

"We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers."
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.

Senator

Well, the pope doesn't necessarily have to be in Rome....anyone ever heard of Avignon?
    WE GO PLAY SOME HOOP

I think will be like in MTWI Papacy will re-emerg every 5-6 turns with huge army
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Senator

well, I know its not going to happen, but I think it would be cool if the Pope is still in play as long as Catholic factions exist. If the Turks capture Rome, for example, the Pope gets moved to the faction that has the best relation to the Papal states.

This would provoke a massive AI response.
    WE GO PLAY SOME HOOP

Crusades sound fun... but wasnt starvation one of the biggest problems during the actual crusades? So is there any talk about having to feed the armies, unlike RTW, I always thought that would be more of a challenge. Or is that upkeep?
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,

But because he loves what is behind him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast